• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys I did a test, putting my Nikon D7000 into Scene mode, Landscape, and yet the pictures come out blurry even with the lense set to auto focus, as if it was focusing in a wrong range or something. If I adjust the focus on the lense manually, it is still blurry even if it looks sharp in the view finder.

Any idea what I;m doing wrong?

tino

Banned
Guys I did a test, putting my Nikon D7000 into Scene mode, Landscape, and yet the pictures come out blurry even with the lense set to auto focus, as if it was focusing in a wrong range or something. If I adjust the focus on the lense manually, it is still blurry even if it looks sharp in the view finder.

Try manually focus to infinity first, then try a different lens.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok I did more tests. Auto focus actually works properly, it's sharp. Manual focud is blurry. When you say focus to infinity manually, you mean zoom out completely and turn the manual focus ring all the way?

Doing that makes it blurry.

Lens is AF-S Nikor 18-55 btw.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ok I did more tests. Auto focus actually works properly, it's sharp. Manual focud is blurry. When you say focus to infinity manually, you mean zoom out completely and turn the manual focus ring all the way?

Doing that makes it blurry.

Lens is AF-S Nikor 18-55 btw.

If all the factors tokkun brought up are not the cause then it may be a uncalibrated focus screen. If your camera has live view, try manual focusing via that. If its bang on when your viewfinder isn't then its the focusing screen.

giga

You didn't accidentally move the diopter did you?

diopter.jpg

…though that wouldn't explain if the captured photos are still blurry after AF.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's blurry in manual focus.

But oh shit, I definitly didn't think of the diopyer! I definitly touched that thing before.

How do I know the default position? When the line (0 I guess) is one step from being hidden?

I think it was turned all the way.....
Edit: just tried turned all the way - and + and it changes nothing. Blurry as much. Only in AF things are fine.

Red

But oh shit, I definitly didn't think of the diopyer! I definitly touched that thing before.

How do I know the default position? When the line (0 I guess) is one step from being hidden?

Edit: just tried turned all the way - and + and it changes nothing. Blurry as much. Only in AF things are fine.
Are there not lines to focus on with the diopter on that camera? See what works best for your eyes.

giga

It should be in the middle. At least it is on canons.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can't post a pic from here, but I doubt it's the shutter speed. It only gets blurry in manual focus.

Btw, does the diopter actually alter the image? I thought it was just a helper.

I can't post a pic from here, but I doubt it's the shutter speed. It only gets blurry in manual focus.

That just helps for people that use glasses or corrective lens...I think.

I've freaked out a couple of times on my D7000 cuz that was out of whack =P

BlueTsunami

The diopter is supposed to compensate for near or farsightedness. It'll effect your ability to manual focus if its way off since its hard to judge the point of focus when the scene is blurry via the viewfinder.

The only way to diagnose the problem is to throw the camera on a stable surface and be meticulous about focusing and find out what the weak link is. But as I already posted if its just manual focusing through the viewfinder thats causing you to misfocus it may be the focus screen or (if your using a fast lens to try to focus wide open) your focus screen isn't made to give you accurate Depth of Field with fast lenses. I'm making some assumptions here though.

tokkun

I know you don't think it's motion blur, but what is the shutter speed?

And when you autofocus, does the image appear to be in focus in the viewfinder?

Sure sounds like it's the diopter to me.
The diopter adjusts the viewfinder for your eye, so it will absolutely affect MF operation. To set it, turn on the camera, tap the shutter-release so that the green display readout turns on, and then adjust the diopter so the text is as sharp as possible.

Crageek

Neo Member
That is a huge upgrade. You might want to look at the 550D as well. If you are shooting video though, the 600d is definitely the one you want with the flip out screen.

tino

Banned
Most of the 50/1.4 lenses don't have very good bokeh with the exception of Voigtlander 58/1.4. I would call the bokeh of this 35/1.4 "very good". It's well worth the price Fuji is charging.

Mr Swine

Banned
That is a huge upgrade. You might want to look at the 550D as well. If you are shooting video though, the 600d is definitely the one you want with the flip out screen.

I really don't like the flip out screen. Sure it's handy if you want to take pictures at a strange angle or take a picture of myself. What about the Nikon D5100? I hear it's better at a cheaper price or is the Canon one better?

Mistle

I really don't like the flip out screen. Sure it's handy if you want to take pictures at a strange angle or take a picture of myself. What about the Nikon D5100? I hear it's better at a cheaper price or is the Canon one better?
I upgraded from a G11 to 600D and it was a HUGE improvement.

The D5100 and 600D are pretty much the same quality-wise, but I feel the Canon has a much better interface.

nitewulf

i have the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L. What a lens. You gotta see the colors to believe it. Bokeh is also out of this world.

I am very interested in the Xpro1 and the 35mm 1.4, i'll be keeping a close eye on it.

ana

Damn...

D7000 still isn't in stock around here..
At this rate I might just as well wait for the inevitable D7100 or D400.. :(

Forsete

A little something arrived today. So excited. :D

NEX-7, here with the standard 18-55mm kitzoom (my old one, bought the body only).
UTCQ5.jpg

Tri-nav controls are amazing, plus when you have customized the "soft-buttons" like you want you have everything one click away.
PAmPU.jpg

This is my 2nd camera with a EVF. My first being the DSC-HX1 which had a TERRIBLE evf. This one is fantastic. I still prefer the A900 OVF right now (though I have only used the NEX-7 in shitty lightning so far, the sun was setting when I left work. :( ), but that is a tough beast to beat.

Next target is the 24mm Zeiss. :)

Flo_Evans

Did you ever sort this out?

The default for the diopter on the D7000 is the "-" sign at 12 o'clock.

The way to set it is to manually focus the lens so the image is blurry then adjust the diopter until the AF frame lines are as sharp as possible.

The D7000 also has an electronic rangefinder to help manual focusing. There should be two arrows and a dot in the lower left of the viewfinder.

tino

Banned
Let's wait for the actual price announcement first.

You still can use the 7D and then ":downgrade" to a 80D, 90D when you are ready.

NEX-7, here with the standard 18-55mm kitzoom (my old one, bought the body only).

Congradulation on the kit lens! It look as good as the 24-70/2.8 :)

You really should have brought the black kit lens and sell it to me though.

Radec

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UTCQ5.jpg[/IMG]

Tri-nav controls are amazing, plus when you have customized the "soft-buttons" like you want you have everything one click away.
/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PAmPU.jpg[/IMG]
This is my 2nd camera with a EVF. My first being the DSC-HX1 which had a TERRIBLE evf. This one is fantastic. I still prefer the A900 OVF right now (though I have only used the NEX-7 in shitty lightning so far, the sun was setting when I left work. :( ), but that is a tough beast to beat.

Next target is the 24mm Zeiss. :)

Lucky Bastard.

Enjoy!

cbox

that lens is HUGE on the nex! haha it looks like it would snap off if you held it incorrectly :|

Here's my new baby attached w/ grip. My camera finally fits my hand now!

3I6t9l.jpg

BlueTsunami

The best part of that rumor is they are not going to make a 7DII. Just image what the price of the 5DIII is going to be.

I'd shit myself if its priced competitively. Would leave the D800 out in the cold as far as new market share.

Futureman

if anyone is interested in the Canon 100mm f2.8 L macro... send me a PM!

I can look thru my Lightroom catalog, but honestly I've only used the lens a few times. I planned on using it mainly for video, but I've been using other lenses.

I can't give anyone a great deal, but can definitely knock some off the retail price (I have no reservations stating this thing is MINT/Like New).

BlueTsunami

I'm considering a NEX-C3 but I'm worried that the 16/2.8 will be too wide. What are my options as far as (small/thin) 24mm/2.8?

Unfortunately there are no options if you want to use native lenses. Its either that or the kit zoom lens. When talking about lenses beyond the E Mount system you'll be looking at manual focus lenses in which case there are a lot of options (something like the vintage Olympus 24/2.8). Unfortunately the lens size (length) will be compromised a bit by the adapter size.

It may not be your cup of tea since its a fixed lens/sensor system (though this can be switched out for an M-Mount sensor / lens mount that natively takes rangefinder lenses) but the Ricoh GXR + A12 28/2.5 is a really good camera and is also smart looking...

AbBkQ.jpg

Forsete

Lucky Bastard.

Enjoy!

Will do my best. :p

The wrong season to buy the camera though, this is what it looks like outside. :(
KG2Al.jpg

Congradulation on the kit lens! It look as good as the 24-70/2.8 :)

You really should have brought the black kit lens and sell it to me though.

I wanted the black, but nobody has the body+zoom in stock. I will compensate that with another black lens soon, hopefully next week. :p

that lens is HUGE on the nex! haha it looks like it would snap off if you held it incorrectly :|

Yeah it most probably will break the mount if you were swinging it around by only holding the camera. Luckily with that combo I have three tripod-mount choices, camera (bad idea), adapter (bad idea), lens itself (best idea).

4557968023_927d0a58b8_b.jpg

I lathed a grip just for that lens for when not using a tripod.

BlueTsunami

A new version of the GXR is coming out soon supposedly. I'm really curious to see how it is improved.

Rumors that it'll have an articulating LCD. I'm hoping it has a built in EVF and maybe a touchscreen LCD just for the touch to magnify region function thats real useful on the 5N. But I'd be fine with a slightly bigger body and a integrated and updated EVF.

man of science

Neo Member
Looks like I'll have to give the 16/2.8 a real chance, since I'm hesitant about having to get anything bigger. If I could get body only I would consider the OM 24/2.8.

Second question: I'm also looking for a small point and shoot, and currently considering the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS. I don't need RAW or a touch screen, and it looks very pocket/purse friendly. For under 200 bucks on Amazon it seems like a great deal. Anyone have any opinions on it or on any other similar cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom