• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Goddamn X-Pro1.

http://sonyalphalab.com/2012/02/fuj...e-photos-sample-video-real-world-photography/

Making my decision of NEX7 or X-Pro1 so goddamn hard. :|

That's a hard choice to make but in regards to pricing the NEX7 is honestly competitiveness priced when you factor in the build quality, buttons and built in EVF. The NEX5N with EVF is basically the price of a NEX7 body.

As far as the internals the Fuji is definitely the more interesting camera when you factor in the newly developed sensor and lack of AA filter. But there's quirks in regards to AF performance and software maturity (I saw odd things in videos with a demo body like the screen stuttering when the camera tried to lock focus). The Fuji definitely has more interesting lenses and planned lenses.

tino

Banned
I was having an argument in another forum and I decided to check out the Amazon's best selling list for all cameras.

I skip all the P&S and super P&S cameras and the final list for mirrorless camera and DSLR camera is pretty interesting.

Code:
11: Olympus EPL1 kit $275
13: D5100 kit $750
14: Canon Rebel T3 $500
18: Canon T2i (550D) kit $650
19: T3i (600D) kit $800
21: Nikon D3100 kit $600
28: T2i body $500 
38: T3i body $625
76: T3i 2 lens kit $900
78: 60D body $900
81: X100 $1185
87: D7000 body $1200

* Out of 12 "large sensor" cameras, there is only 1 mirrorless camera (SKU) make it

* All the entry level mirrorless cameras have much lower entry price than entry level DSLR, all but one of them sell as well as the Canon and Nikon bodies.

* For the new camera that release late last year, including the NEX5n, GF3, NX20, etc, none of them sell as well as the $1200 X100.

I remember reading Japanese news recently than the mirrorless bodies sells number has surpassed DSLR bodies and the m4/3 lens sales has surpassed Canon EF lens sales.

But that's just Japan, from the Amazon number the US mirrorless adaption rate is much slower. I think the world sales number is alot closer to the US than Japan.

If you just want to see the mirrorless camera rankings, here is the separated list.

Absinthe

Planning on pulling the trigger on a G3. I've searched the thread, browsed the posts on this camera, and read almost every review I could find.

Used mainly as a point and shoot replacement, and obviously to have something I can get decent shots with.

I have ~$700 to spend just want to make sure it's the right one. GAF, any objections?

Thank you.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Planning on pulling the trigger on a G3. I've searched the thread, browsed the posts on this camera, and read almost every review I could find.

Used mainly as a point and shoot replacement, and obviously to have something I can get decent shots with.

I have ~$700 to spend just want to make sure it's the right one. GAF, any objections?

Thank you.
kirk tuck just wrote a blog about the G3 the other day. He seemed to really like it.
http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2012/02/small-camera-ive-been-playing-with.html

m4/3rds is a great option between all the existing lenses, which include primes and not all zooms, and all the various body types.

I was having an argument in another forum and I decided to check out the Amazon's best selling list for all cameras.

I skip all the P&S and super P&S cameras and the final list for mirrorless camera and DSLR camera is pretty interesting.

Code:
11: Olympus EPL1 kit $275
13: D5100 kit $750
14: Canon Rebel T3 $500
18: Canon T2i (550D) kit $650
19: T3i (600D) kit $800
21: Nikon D3100 kit $600
28: T2i body $500 
38: T3i body $625
76: T3i 2 lens kit $900
78: 60D body $900
81: X100 $1185
87: D7000 body $1200

* Out of 12 "large sensor" cameras, there is only 1 mirrorless camera (SKU) make it

* All the entry level mirrorless cameras have much lower entry price than entry level DSLR, all but one of them sell as well as the Canon and Nikon bodies.

* For the new camera that release late last year, including the NEX5n, GF3, NX20, etc, none of them sell as well as the $1200 X100.

I remember reading Japanese news recently than the mirrorless bodies sells number has surpassed DSLR bodies and the m4/3 lens sales has surpassed Canon EF lens sales.

But that's just Japan, from the Amazon number the US mirrorless adaption rate is much slower. I think the world sales number is alot closer to the US than Japan.

If you just want to see the mirrorless camera rankings, here is the separated list.

Mirrorless market share is growing strongly across the world. They are lower in the US than in any other region, but in the most recent 2 month period they were over 20% here too.

July-Sep 2011
CIPAQ3.jpg

Oct-Dec 2011
CIPAQ4.jpg

olympus_omd_presentation_1_to_YouDidntDidYou.jpg

In Japan, it seems like the Canon/Nikon duopoly will be coming to an end in the next couple of years.

olympus_omd_presentation_2_to_YouDidntDidYou.jpg

tino

Banned
CaReggieandTFE, can you tell me where did you get those mirrorless sales percetage pie charts?

Need to do my sales-age thing in another forum. :)

I've read somewhere that Japan is NEX land.

They're a distant second in the Japanese mirrorless market. Even if you split the M43 market between Olympus and Panasonic, Sony falls in 3rd place.

I think NEX does better in Western markets, but the mirrorless market is much smaller here.

BlueTsunami

I think there's still a stigma that the bulky DSLR 'look' with interchangeable lenses is what one wants when upgrading from low end and even mid-range bridge cameras. Now you've got this super low profile DSLR replacements and they just don't look professional (important for those who even care about this).

Forsete

Mirrorless market share is growing strongly across the world. They are lower in the US than in any other region, but in the most recent 2 month period they were over 20% here too.

Impressive.

Mirrorless numbers would have been even better if the Sony factory didn't get raped in the flooding. :(

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I think there's still a stigma that the bulky DSLR 'look' with interchangeable lenses is what one wants when upgrading from low end and even mid-range bridge cameras. Now you've got this super low profile DSLR replacements and they just don't look professional (important for those who even care about this).

Since the X100 is my most desired camera, I have read about every review on the web it seems. It's amazing how many of the pro photographers who have an X100 bring this up (looking professional). some of them even mention their clients say it looks like a toy or something similar.

giga

Canon Rumors says this is the 5D3:

22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD
Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

Probably at 7FPS too, like rumored before. That's $500 more than I thought it would be. I expect damn D3S level ISO performance at least. Also a new 590EX (!) and T4i soon.

Canon Rumors says this is the 5D3:

22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD
Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

Probably at 7FPS too, like rumored before. That's $500 more than I thought it would be. I expect damn D3S level ISO performance at least. Also a new 590EX (!) and T4i soon.

Ugh way too expensive. I might just end up getting a Mark II if the price is that high...unless the video-recording is improved.

mclaren777

I think they might. Seen how much their new bevy of lenses are going for? Specifically the new 24-70? It's a bit nuts.

I think the 24-70mm price is perfectly justified by it being the best zoom lens that Canon has ever made.

But I don't see them pricing the 5D3 above the D800.

tino

Banned
and this is why canon will get away with charging significantly more for a new version of an already existing lens.

If the price is too high, Tokina or whoever will come in and make money on the low end. The market is fair. Tokina can probably make a 28-70 thats much smaller.

BlueTsunami

I really, really, really hope someone like Fuji or Sony comes out with a $2500 mirrorless FF body and skeets all over Conikons collective faces.

snkryo

Hi, I'm in the process on creating a webseries and was wondering if there is a quality camera for under $2000 one would recommend?

BlueTsunami

The mirrorless cameras just look uncomfortable to hold to me with a huge lense and a very small body lol.

In regards to lens size, using the shortened flange distance (lens exit pupil to sensor) I think a manufacture should be able to make some real compact lenses, smaller than the DSLR counterparts at least. Fuji has the right idea with their X-P1 lenses that are nearly right up against the sensor with Sony and the NEX line, not so much. The problem at this point is light rays hitting digital sensor at steep angles and the effects it has versus film (digital sensor have to deal with color shift and image smearing at the edges and corners).

What if Zeiss/Kyocera make it and charge you $2999?

I'd definitely buy that. Especially if they revive their Contax G line of lenses. Here's an example of the Contax G 45/2 on a NEX...

gLAXg.jpg

This is a lens that was made to shoot with film so its image circle is actually larger than the NEX's APS-C sensor. Its also one of the sharpest lenses ever made for 135mm film.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Hmm, I'd go with a T3i for the adjustable LCD. If $2000 is just for the camera, dump the rest into lenses. If it's for the whole project, make sure you've got some money left for proper audio gear because the onboard Canon options won't really cut it.

Hammer24

Banned
Has anyone had a chance to play around with the Canon C300?
I´m especially interested on the results when using it with stock EF lenses, and not the special cinema branded ones.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Question about film camera...
Anyone has any experience with a Nikon F5? Im considering of buying one, a used one (of course) but its in a great condition.

What can be said about this camera? impressions? opinions (except that it devours batteries)? I already have a D700 but have always been interested in film. I like the idea of the only post processing I have to do is to send the rolls in for development :)

Also, anyone have any experience with Panagor lenses?

spats

Question about film camera...
Anyone has any experience with a Nikon F5? Im considering of buying one, a used one (of course) but its in a great condition.

What can be said about this camera? impressions? opinions (except that it devours batteries)? I already have a D700 but have always been interested in film. I like the idea of the only post processing I have to do is to send the rolls in for development :)

Also, anyone have any experience with Panagor lenses?

I have a 135mm f/2.8 Panagor Auto Tele. I'm not a mega lens expert but it seems like a serviceable lens. Build quality is absolutely superb but it seems a bit soft and there's a lot of chromatic aberration.

tino

Banned
All Nikon single digit cameras are built to go to war and build to last. They have faster focus speed. For example, the D2X focus very fast. If you want 70% of the F5 with 10% of the cost, you can consider a N90s/F90x.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I have that model, two of them actually (first one the filters got messed up over time). They're essential devices if you are serious about photography. But, they're only part of the equation because you need a good monitor to really get the best out of it. They will still help get more accurate color on every kind of monitor, though.

I'd recommend their newest model, the i1 Display Pro. The colorimeter itself is far superior to the old model and the filters are sealed so it should remain more accurate over time. They make a cheaper one, with less calibration settings in software, called the Colormunki Display that's pretty much exactly the same hardware so you get the same accuracy as the Pro version.

i1 Display Pro - http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1454
Colormunki - http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1513

captive

yes, great devices. and they are essential. I should clarify, if you care at all what your prints look like they are essential.

Bout to buy a dell u2711 so i can get all the tasty goodness of color

CaReggieandTFE, can you tell me where did you get those mirrorless sales percetage pie charts?

Need to do my sales-age thing in another forum. :)

Sorry, I didn't see your post. The first charts came from a dpreview article from the middle of Feb. the other charts came from an Olympus presentation that happened around the launch of the OM-D; I grabbed them off of 4/3 rumors. I would link but I'm on my iPhone.

tino

Banned
That Nokia phone is actually pretty impressive. 1/1.2" sensor and a mechanical shutter. That's larger than the X10 sensor and almost as big as the Nikon 1 sensor.

But it's tied to a dead phone platform. What can you do with a 630X360 screen?

I can see a few years down the road it's worth it to pick it up under $200 bucks. I hope TMobile pick it up, the price will drop faster that way.

Warning: rant incoming...

RSZ_7224ps.jpg

I wanted a lightweight tripod for hiking, so I splurged a bit and got the Gitzo Series 1 1541 carbon-fiber legs with the Gitzo 1780QR ball head. I had a few days to familiarize myself with it, then took it out for a hike this morning. The legs seem okay. The ball head is junk.

I was standing on a river bank at first light, and the quick release plate would not slide on to the tripod head so I couldn't mount my camera. The clamping part of the head would not retract enough to let the plate slide in. I screwed around with it for 20 minutes and missed the best light before I gave up and headed back to my truck in disgust. On the way back, I tried it one last time and the clamp piece fully retracted so I could get my camera on, but stupefying, the entire top of the head (that the QR plate slides into) was now loosening from the ball below. Actually wobbling a bit. This was after taking a grand total of 0 photographs with this head. Once I got home, I looked more closely at the clamp part that wouldn't retract and it seems that the thing is spring-loaded, and the spring wasn't doing its job of driving the part back fully. But now it is again. Maybe the cold affected it.

I'll keep the legs, but needless to say, the head is going back to B&H. I'll find one from another manufacturer. I didn't know Gitzo made junk. :(

Omzz

I've been looking to buy a DSLR camera around the summer time and not quite sure which one to choose. Not really using it for photography or anything like that, but moreso for family occassions, events etc.

From the research I've done, I see that most of the recommendations have been Canon T2i and that it's the perfect entry level DSLR camera. In general what are the differences between DSLR cameras? For example the Canon T2i and the Canon 60D, are there huge gaps in picture quality between these two? I know stuff like shutter speed are better, but just not sure what would be ideal.

Any help would be great.

captive

Warning: rant incoming...

RSZ_7224ps.jpg

I wanted a lightweight tripod for hiking, so I splurged a bit and got the Gitzo Series 1 1541 carbon-fiber legs with the Gitzo 1780QR ball head. I had a few days to familiarize myself with it, then took it out for a hike this morning. The legs seem okay. The ball head is junk.

I was standing on a river bank at first light, and the quick release plate would not slide on to the tripod head so I couldn't mount my camera. The clamping part of the head would not retract enough to let the plate slide in. I screwed around with it for 20 minutes and missed the best light before I gave up and headed back to my truck in disgust. On the way back, I tried it one last time and the clamp piece fully retracted so I could get my camera on, but stupefying, the entire top of the head (that the QR plate slides into) was now loosening from the ball below. Actually wobbling a bit. This was after taking a grand total of 0 photographs with this head. Once I got home, I looked more closely at the clamp part that wouldn't retract and it seems that the thing is spring-loaded, and the spring wasn't doing its job of driving the part back fully. But now it is again. Maybe the cold affected it.

I'll keep the legs, but needless to say, the head is going back to B&H. I'll find one from another manufacturer. I didn't know Gitzo made junk. :(

that sucks. Get an Acratech. I have the Ultimate ballhead paired with my gitzo legs, great combo.

that sucks. Get an Acratech. I have the Ultimate ballhead paired with my gitzo legs, great combo.

I just took a long look at the Acratech Ultimate ballhead, but from what I read it's oversized for the Gitzo 1541 tripod (which is really the traveller model, just without the folding legs). I went ahead and ordered the Markins Q3T which was designed to complement the 1541 legs. It's also the one that everyone on POTN forums recommended for those legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom