• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem

I hear the 17mm pancake isnt as sharp (the 14-42 is actually quite good), but supposedly Panasonic will have some new lenses (20mm 1.7) next week when they announce the GF1

Micro 4/3 rumor site:
http://43rumors.com/

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Two shots with the 17mm Pancake from a user at "Photography on the Net"...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8460632&postcount=196

Sounds and looks like the perfect vacation camera

I think fart was talking about its brother but the Live View like magnification and focusing (and its advantage for manual focusing) sounds absolutely fantastic. Canon/Nikon need to implement a slick way to use this for manual focusing (from what I've read its still cumbersome on DSLRs)

golem

yeah by default the moment you touch the focus ring it zooms in 7x to assist in focusing.. its rather nice.

those 17mm pictures are nice, but i think im going to wait to see what Panny has (well probably should have waited to see the GF1 too, since I think it will have slightly better specs, but couldnt resist haha)

golem said:
I hear the 17mm pancake isnt as sharp (the 14-42 is actually quite good), but supposedly Panasonic will have some new lenses (20mm 1.7) next week when they announce the GF1

Micro 4/3 rumor site:
http://43rumors.com/

I noticed that in samples when the camera was unveiled in June. On the flipside, it's easier to focus with the pancake and it is significantly smaller too.

Yes, that's perhaps the best aspect of the Panasonic GF1 announcement: new lenses that can be used on the E-P1, since Olympus are slow to deliver new ones of their own.

It's still uncertain, but it's likely those Panasonic lenses will work like those other lenses on the G1 and GH1 micro 4/3 cameras with some distortion correction wizardry done in software, but absent when mounted on Olympus cameras. Here again, the flipside is image stabilisation with the E-P1 body to compensate for the missing optical stabilisation on the small 20mm lens from Panasonic.

golem

Yeah I'm kinda worried about the software distortion correction, since I use Lightroom as my workflow, but I guess there are plugins and stuff to use

golem said:
Yeah I'm kinda worried about the software distortion correction, since I use Lightroom as my workflow, but I guess there are plugins and stuff to use

I've never really looked into it, but I'm guessing that, generally speaking, those Panasonic lenses have good enough optics on their own without the software trickery.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Instigator said:
I noticed that in samples when the camera was unveiled in June. On the flipside, it's easier to focus with the pancake and it is significantly smaller too.

Yes, that's perhaps the best aspect of the Panasonic GF1 announcement: new lenses that can be used on the E-P1, since Olympus are slow to deliver new ones of their own.

It's still uncertain, but it's likely those Panasonic lenses will work like those other lenses on the G1 and GH1 micro 4/3 cameras with some distortion correction wizardry done in software, but absent when mounted on Olympus cameras. Here again, the flipside is image stabilisation with the E-P1 body to compensate for the missing optical stabilisation on the small 20mm lens from Panasonic.
1) I'm not really sure I would call olympus' lens releases slow, they have released a crapload of lenses since they started 4/3rds. And they look like they are about to answer the request for primes with 4 rumored to be announced soon.
2) Image stabilization isnt always needed, in several cases. Above 1000 shutter speed and really small lenses. Unless of course you have super shaky hands. I find I can handhold my E30 with the 12-60 attached under 100 shutter speed.

mrkgoo

CharlieDigital said:
Preview here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonydslra550/

Anyone with experience with the Alphas and the Canon lineup? I'm still torn between a T1i and waiting for the 550 (a380 has pretty much been roundly trashed). I know that in the end, it's the lens that matters most, but the fact that I have two pretty nice Minolta A/F Sigmas is pushing me towards the Sony.

the way I figure, if you already have compatible lenses that you enjoy, then it's a no-brainer.

What ACTUALLY matters the most is the photographer. It's unlikely that the brand will hinder what you want to shoot between any given price tier from competitors.

edit: Although that "Steadyshot INSIDE" badge should be criminal. It's a wash.

Their new 28-75 f/2.8 is interesting - a constant standard zoom with wide-ish aperture at a cheaper price. Canon, take note (well, they do have the 17-55 for a similar price).

giga

I can't help but think that Sony just killed their A900 sales. Who would honestly pay $700 more for 2% more VF coverage and 2FPS (not like sports shooters are using the A900 either way).

mrkgoo

giga said:
I can't help but think that Sony just killed their A900 sales. Who would honestly pay $700 more for 2% more VF coverage and 2FPS (not like sports shooters are using the A900 either way).

Well, like most gear in any field, to get those incremental improvements in models, you pay more. Like the function starts plateau-ing, but the price remains linear. The difference in budget lenses to mid-level is warranted, but if you want to go into the super-pro, it's even more expensive just to get a few more features.

It's good for competition too. Hopefully this lights some fire under Canon, who seemed to be miles ahead previously, but everyone has caught up significantly, if not overtaken.

Not sure if this counts as "equipment", but does anyone here have experience with the 123 of Digital Imaging tutorial software? It looks useful, is it worth the money?

BlueTsunami

neeveh.jpg

From the Canon Rumors forum...

1800 Effective Mega Pixel
Dual Digic 4
All Cross-type 19 point AF
ISO 6400
6.3 something (too blur)
100%coverage of Optical Viewfinder
Artificial Intelligence something (too blur)
3" LCD something (again, too blur)
EOS something FullHD (I guess the blurred word is movie)
Realtime Display (but what the heck does it mean?)

:O

100% Viewfinder Coverage!

BlueTsunami

There's speculation as to how that'll turn out (seeing as how they're advertising it as a camera capable of ISO6400). High ISO but also a very dense sensor? Seems like a recipe for disaster. Some are thinking its a 1.3x cropper.

I'll be curious to see how this 7D turns out if it's more than just a rumor. In the last Canon briefing I went to, they pretty much admitted that the only reason they're able to get improved IQ and dynamic range in their new line of P&S cameras is because they dialled back the MP count. Otherwise, the image processor etc is all pretty much the same as before.

Their only other option is to release a completely new line of lenses, which would piss a lot of people off.

BlueTsunami

There's another rumor going around that there will be an "L" Macro Lens introduced (as an SKU) with the 7D. It'll utilize Canon's Hybrid IS.

BlueTsunami

Instigator said:
佳能新款

微距值得期待

translation... of everything?

I haven't seen a translation for it yet, unfortunately

But here's spec sheet of the 7D and translation

2ptxafq.jpg

- Approx. 18MP effective resolution APS-C CMOS sensor
- Dual DiG!C 4 imaging processors, 14-bit A/D signal conversion
- Approx. 8fps fast continuous shutter; up to 84 large high-quality JPG or 15 RAW frames
- New double-cross center AF point, new 19-point all-cross type AF
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to ISO 12800[H])
- New 100% coverage, 1x magnification viewfinder with intelligent info display, 3D electronic horizontal level meter
- New iFCL meter system using high contrast and color detection (63-zone)
- Full HD video capture with stereo microphone jack and HDMI output jack
- LiveView shooting mode with face-detection priority AF
- New video-capture/LiveView switch
- Newly-designed streamlined body, metallic shutter sound, shutter lifespan approx. 150,000 times
- new 24mm wide-angle built-in flash supporting EOS E-TTL II (not saying it can function as a Master trigger though)
- Auto lighting optimizer
- Auto correction of lens peripheral illumination (vignetting)
- Many choices of Picture Style
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System

*APS-C (1.6x Crop) :(

and image of the 7D

2ef8cq1.jpg

Looks as though there are a handful of new useful features (Horizon leveling, much better Viewfinder, Face detection, better AF points and metering... from a spec perspective).

Going to be interesting to see how this thing handles high ISO. I have a feeling its going to be the 50D scenario all over again.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The price of the 7D is rumored to be $1,699 Body.

That is actually pretty good because it translates to $1,400 price points in a couple of months.

Since my XSi is pretty good and has less than 11,000 shots, I don't think I will be able to buy a 7D until the 7D mk II or mk III comes out :lol

Edit: Shutter life is 150,000. I was hoping for a shutter life of 200k to put it much closer higher than the future 60D (if it will come out).

BlueTsunami

That sensor is probably bulging from being so dense :lol

The Viewfinder sound oh so good though. 100% Coverage and 1x Magnification : D~~~~

Hcoregamer00

BlueTsunami said:
That sensor is probably bulging from being so dense :lol

The Viewfinder sound oh so good though. 100% Coverage and 1x Magnification : D~~~~

Yup, the 100% coverage is very awesome.

Once I "step up" on to bigger and better Cameras, future 7D successors will definitely be in my sight.

-Rogue5-

I'm kind of a nubulous when it comes to DSLR (coming at it from a strictly video point of view), but where exactly would the 7D lie on the market-segment line of Canon DSLRs? Somewhere between a T1i/500D and a 5DmkII?

Also, what exactly do the crop factors mean in terms of image properties? APS-C is ~24x17mm I think, so are we talking about using FF35 lenses on the 7D's APS-C leading to a 1.6x crop factor?

Any word on manual controls for video and/or 24frames instead of 30p in the video mode. I don't mind paying double the price of the T1i as long as it has 1080p24frames (lack of manual control would be a bitch, but assuming there's an AE lock I'm pretty sure I could work around using nikon glass.)

Hcoregamer00

-Rogue5- said:
I'm kind of a nubulous when it comes to DSLR (coming at it from a strictly video point of view), but where exactly would the 7D lie on the market-segment line of Canon DSLRs? Somewhere between a T1i/500D and a 5DmkII?

Also, what exactly do the crop factors mean in terms of image properties? APS-C is ~24x17mm I think, so are we talking about using FF35 lenses on the 7D's APS-C leading to a 1.6x crop factor?

Any word on manual controls for video and/or 24frames instead of 30p in the video mode. I don't mind paying double the price of the T1i as long as it has 1080p24frames (lack of manual control would be a bitch, but assuming there's an AE lock I'm pretty sure I could work around using nikon glass.)

Here is what I know from my limited knowledge of the Canon Lineup

Professional Camera
Canon 1Ds Mark III ~$7,500 (Full Frame) - Will be replaced by a Mark IV successor
Canon 1D Mark III ~$3,500 (APS-H, 1.3 crop) - Will be replaced by a mark IV successor

Prosumer Camera
Canon 5D Mark II ~$2,700 (Full Frame)
Canon 7D ~$1,700 (APS-C, 1.6 crop)
Canon 50D ~$1,100 (APS-C, 1.6 crop) - Will be replaced by a 60D successor

Consumer Camera
Canon 1Ti ~$750 (APS-C, 1.6 crop)
Canon XSi ~$550 (APS-C, 1.6 crop) - Was replaced by 1Ti successor
Canon XS ~$500 (APS-C, 1.6 crop) - Will be replaced by a 1T successor

The new 7D would be right in the middle, it would also be the high-end APS-C camera.

Forsete

Well it looks like A850 will be my next step.. 2000 USD or ~13500SEK (import) is just too good to pass up for a FF 25MP camera. IIRC I paid around 2400USD for my A700+16-105. Swedish prices for the suck.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I really hope theres a 60D hiding somewhere in this announcement on the 1st... I really want to pick up a used 50D for a good price and I'm not sure if the 7D will do that.

mrkgoo

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.

I'm not sure I can jive with the 7D. It's a fine camera I'm sure, but does Canon really need to fill int eh gaps with an in between release?

I was always against the 1000D.

APS-C with 18mp is disappointing.

Electronic level is kind of cool, 100% coverage is neat, but it really is in between the 5D mkII and a hypothetical 60D. I'm nearly wondering if this replaces the 60D. Well, I guess not. It has a few things in advance of the 5D. The AF system and viewfinder sound great. I don't need so many AF points, however, since I only use the centre one 90% of the time.

*buys one* :loll

The 100mm MAcro with IS sounds awesome.

I was looking to get a telephoto lens for my fz-28 and I was wondering how good Raynox lenses are. They are roughly the same price but the official panasonic one is 1.7x and the Raynox is 2.2x. Is it worth getting the Raynox over the official panasonic lens? How big of a difference is 1.7x to 2.2x?

BlueTsunami

In regards to the xxD line, I read on either Fred Miranda or CanonRumors (Forum) that the xxD line may be getting phased out due to confusion between Nikons DSLR names and Canons. Probably just idle speculation.

This 7D looks like something between the xxD and 5D.

Also, here's a translation for the 100mm Macro lens

1. Eliminates tilting shake and moving sideways shake.
2. UD glass to reduce chromatic aberration.
3. 9 lens elements, nice background blur.
4. Front element does not move when focusing, USM for fast focusing, Uses an advanced algorithm for very good autofocus.
5. Full-time manual focus.

67 mm filter size
dimensions: 77.7mm by 123 mm
Weighs 625 grams.

Its utilizing the new Hybrid IS Canon developed that is supposedly very beneficial for Macro work.

teiresias

So I got a "Performance Award" at work that amounts to about $600 after taxes and I think I'm going to put that toward finally getting a DSLR. I'm eyeing (I suppose) either the T1i or the D5000, and I'm going to go tomorrow and hold them and see how they feel, but my main need is good low light performance, which I seem to get conflicting info on from websites and opinions. Though I guess either one is going to give me far superior performance than my G9 is currently giving me - there's many places I'd like to pump it up to 800 or more and get a usable shot, but they're just not usable in the end unless I noise reduce them so much that they may as well be a watercolor painting.

One thing in Canon's favor is it seems from my cursory searching that Canon has a wider range of lenses available in wider pricepoints. I'll probably get a kit with whichever I get and also buy a 50mm or 35mm lens at the f1.8 or 1.4 range.

Anyway, just rambling thoughts.

equap

Banned
looks like i'm getting the 7D and the 100mm Macro w/ IS.

I'm going to sell my current Canon 100mm Macro, anybody wants?

BlueTsunami

teiresias said:
So I got a "Performance Award" at work that amounts to about $600 after taxes and I think I'm going to put that toward finally getting a DSLR. I'm eyeing (I suppose) either the T1i or the D5000, and I'm going to go tomorrow and hold them and see how they feel, but my main need is good low light performance, which I seem to get conflicting info on from websites and opinions. Though I guess either one is going to give me far superior performance than my G9 is currently giving me - there's many places I'd like to pump it up to 800 or more and get a usable shot, but they're just not usable in the end unless I noise reduce them so much that they may as well be a watercolor painting.

One thing in Canon's favor is it seems from my cursory searching that Canon has a wider range of lenses available in wider pricepoints. I'll probably get a kit with whichever I get and also buy a 50mm or 35mm lens at the f1.8 or 1.4 range.

Anyway, just rambling thoughts.

On low light performance, I would think the T1i is better than my Canon 350D (XT) in regards to noise. Here's my 350D with 50mm f/1.4 lens (around $450 now).

3854677106_c5628fd274_o.jpg

ISO: 1600
f stop: 1.4
Shutter: 1/30s

I applied Noise Ninja to clean up the image but you should be good with more modern bodies. Basically, look for any camera that is adequate at ISO1600 and you'll be able to shoot with indoor lighting at a reasonable shutter speed (assuming you get one fast prime).

Kawaii

New Plaything!

IMG_4746.jpg

I've always wanted to get into analog photography, I got this one from my uncle who collects cameras, and he had two of this. There is a small dent in the lens but it doesn't impact the photos.

I don't really understand yet how it works but I'd love to learn.

Next step will be my own B/W darkroom but i know that's probably not gonna happen.

Irish

So, how much should I be paying for something like this:

Ebay Listing said:
This auction includes:

• EOS REBEL XSi
  • EF-S 18-55mm Lens
  • TAMRON 28-80mm Lens
  • TAMRON 70-300mm Lens
  • EF 50mm Lens
  • 0.45x Wide Angel Lens
  • 2.0x Telepoto Lens
  • 4PCS Close-Up Set
  • +1 +2 +4 +10
  • 3PCS Filter Kit: UV+CPL+FL-D
  • 5 Lens Hoods
  • 2 Universal Pop-up Flash Diffusers
  • DSLR300 Speedlight Flash
  • Zeikos Slave Flash
  • 8 GB Memory Card
  • Pocket Tripod
  • 50" Pro Series Tripod
  • Rainsleeve
  • Ultra Slim CF Card (Reader-Writer)
  • Pro Camera Grip Strap
  • Universal Screen Guard
  • Memory Card Wallet
  • 3 PCS Deluxe Cleaning Kit
  • Battery Charger + Battery Pack
  • Camera Case
  • Deluxe Camera Bag
  • USB Interface Cable IFC-200U
  • Video Cable VC-100
  • Software (CD-ROM)

Then again, this is my first time using Ebay/buying a camera, so I don't trust myself at all...

mrkgoo

Irish said:
So, how much should I be paying for something like this:

Then again, this is my first time using Ebay/buying a camera, so I don't trust myself at all...

To be fair, I didn't look at all that stuff, but there's a huge range of price for certain things, such as an 8GB memory card. Generic brand $20? or a SanDisk Extreme IV for $120?

Normally, such beginner packages are created to overwhelm you with cheap goods to make it seem like you are getting a bargain. A lot of stuff you won't even need, so you're paying for things that you shouldn't.

Is this stuff new? The only way I can see something like this being cheap is if it's secondhand, someone is dumping their entire set of gear. Even then, it has to be something like a really cheap price for just the body and lenses with everything else for free (since they are not listing the brands, I'm guessing a lot of that stuff is really cheap, stuff you wouldn't really buy, and even for free, you still may not use) for me to consider it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
BlueTsunami said:
On low light performance, I would think the T1i is better than my Canon 350D (XT) in regards to noise. Here's my 350D with 50mm f/1.4 lens (around $450 now).

3854677106_c5628fd274_o.jpg

ISO: 1600
f stop: 1.4
Shutter: 1/30s

I applied Noise Ninja to clean up the image but you should be good with more modern bodies. Basically, look for any camera that is adequate at ISO1600 and you'll be able to shoot with indoor lighting at a reasonable shutter speed (assuming you get one fast prime).
The thing with low light performance is, often people will download their ISO 1600-3200 shots and then look at the computer screen with disdain when they see noise.
They either forget or do not know that LCD's display information much different than when you actually print your images. And pixel peeping(zooming in on an image on a compute screen) is tantamount to walking up so close to a very large printed image that you cant even see the whole thing at once and complaining about print quality. First, no one even does this in real life, yet I have no idea what the obsession is with taking pictures at high ISO's then zooming in on them on a computer screen and then bitching about the cameras ISO performance.
If many of these people would just print their images they would be pleasantly surprised even with very minimal noise reduction applied.

BlueTsunami

captive said:
The thing with low light performance is, often people will download their ISO 1600-3200 shots and then look at the computer screen with disdain when they see noise.
They either forget or do not know that LCD's display information much different than when you actually print your images. And pixel peeping(zooming in on an image on a compute screen) is tantamount to walking up so close to a very large printed image that you cant even see the whole thing at once and complaining about print quality. First, no one even does this in real life, yet I have no idea what the obsession is with taking pictures at high ISO's then zooming in on them on a computer screen.
If many of these people would just print their images they would be pleasantly surprised even with very minimal noise reduction applied.

I definitely agree. I used to be hung up on my 350D's iso1600 performance but then read all about what a 100% crop means in terms of print... something like having to make 40x30 size prints or something to equal seeing an image at 100% on screen. Seeing as most people just print much, much smaller than that... it definitely negates noise issues when viewed extremely up close.

The only issue that seems relevant when talking about high ISO is dynamic range. Images do become very dull and flat when you use the higher ISO's.

Zyzyxxz

so I'm looking to expand my lineup of lenses beyond my kit lens for my D40.

I'm starting to want to try new things with my camera and capturing different subject matter.

Right now I'm thinking in the near future I will get the Nikkor 35mm F1.8 for sure.

Another one I'm looking at is the Sigma 70-300 F/4-5.6 with built in autofocus motor, is it worth going cheap on a telephoto lens? I don't think I will be using it much but I've come across situations where I wished I had a telephoto lens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't get Canon's line up anymore. Nikon is nice and clean now. Pro camera, cut-down prosumer FF version, prosumer crop version (all marketed as being pro features wtihout the price). All nice and clear.

Canon is

pro cameras (1D). FF prosumer (5DII) but its not a cut down 1D, then 7D which is crop but not a crop 5D its faster, different AF etc. Then the 50D which doesn't know if its prosumer or not anymore, the naming is wrong etc.

Maybe they'll move the triple-digits to entry level, the double digits (60D) into rich hobbyist cameras, and try and flesh out the single digit cameras to the prosumer ones.

I'll be intersted in the AF and metering especially - will it give good tracking of eg birds against a background or planes, using the colour to help identify 'subjects' and are the AF points close enough together to hand off to each other when tracking a movign object. Thats a big weakness of the 50D IMO

More MP, but they've trimmed the ISO a bit - only 6400 instead of 25600 so maybe they can handle it. And maybe they'll improve some of the sRaw binning so we'll get better 9 or 4.5mp images?

Frankly I'm so confused by Canon's new cameras these days I'll stick with my 50D until I hear detailed impressions of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom