• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
No it doesn't. EF-S lenses list the 35mm equivalent focal length, not the effective focal length.

I've never read this anywhere and it doesn't say this in the manual from what I remember or in any of the documentation for the camera. Without explicitly stating this it could actually be considered false advertising. I'm gonna have to see some evidence.

giga

I've never read this anywhere and it doesn't say this in the manual from what I remember or in any of the documentation for the camera. Without explicitly stating this it could actually be considered false advertising. I'm gonna have to see some evidence.
Sarcasm?

It's a known fact that Canon doesn't list the effective focal length on their EF-S line. Crop factor isn't specific to the lens, only the sensor. So they choose to list the actual focal length of the lens. The difference in field of view is dependent on the sensor, not lens.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sarcasm?

It's a known fact that Canon doesn't list the effective focal length on their EF-S line. Crop factor isn't specific to the lens, only the sensor. So they choose to list the actual focal length of the lens. The difference in field of view is dependent on the sensor, not lens.

Oh whoops, I read that backwards. Carry on.

mclaren777

If the MoGoPod sells for less than $100, I'll buy one instantly to go with my FS-PRO.

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/mogopod-monopod-stabilizer

mogopod.gif

mrkgoo

I love the 40mm pancake lens. It's so cute.

God, I have so many 'normal -short tele' lenses.

Apart from being small, I like the slightly wider focal length and shorter minimum focus distance, which make it a slightly better lens for indoors use, where things can be tight.

I'm absolutely loving the NEX-7. And I'm loving the Sigma 30mm ("Sigmarit"). Not only is it just as sharp as everybody claimed, but the rendition can be soft and lovely enough to hang with my Zeiss Planar and M-Hexanon. Unbelievable value.

Omzz

Got a T2i a while a ago. Returned it since decided that it wasn't necessary at the time and would use money elsewhere. Just picked it up again and was wondering what would be a good place to learn about the T2i and DSLRs? Are the manuals that come in the box enough, or is there a whole lot to learn from outside sources? Pretty much looking for a place to start to optimize pictures in any setting.

Any help would be great!

Ultimadrago

Hey guys and gals,

Can anyone point me to a good camera that's $150~ (Cheaper if there are good ones for that price). I'm not a professional photographer or anything, but do like taking numerous pictures for events and such.

So a camera that you would say is "good" in that price range, or good for the price would be fine. I would like a lighter one if possible. One that can fit in my pocket or in a small camera sling.

Thanks for any suggestions

(I know this is the Camera Equipment thread, couldn't find the focused "Camera" thread)

Hey guys and gals,

Can anyone point me to a good camera that's $150~ (Cheaper if there are good ones for that price). I'm not a professional photographer or anything, but do like taking numerous pictures for events and such.

So a camera that you would say is "good" in that price range, or good for the price would be fine. I would like a lighter one if possible. One that can fit in my pocket or in a small camera sling.

Thanks for any suggestions

(I know this is the Camera Equipment thread, couldn't find the focused "Camera" thread)

E-pl1 is a good choice. Alternatively you might look for used Canon s90 or Lumix lx-3 or -5. I don't know the used market prices in the States but here in Europe they are about 150.

Ultimadrago

Check Craigslist in your area for a Olympus E-PL1.

Craigslist for $160
E-PL1 Flickr Group

E-pl1 is a good choice. Alternatively you might look for used Canon s90 or Lumix lx-3 or -5. I don't know the used market prices in the States but here in Europe they are about 150.

Thanks, I'll check those out. The pictures for the E-PL1 look very nice, but I'm having difficulty finding them not at 230+ or more even in my area's Craigslist. I'll keep looking.

Ultimadrago

The E-Pl1 has phenomenal image quality for the price, but be prepared for the autofocus to be quite slow, especially in low light.

Well he's probably going to need a lens to go with it :)

Also, I've learned that people that request the camera be small, cheap, and easy are looking for a camera to put in their pocket. The S90 Art recommended may be a good choice:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800892053-USE/Canon_3635b001_PowerShot_S90_Digital_Camera.html

Man, I almost went through with the payment.
Alright, it's a bit higher, but I think I'll take this one!

Thanks everyone, again (and Art Teitlebaum for bringing it up before).

Any noise test out there on the digic 5+ that's going to be on the 6d.
Don't know if I should get a 5dmk2 now or wait for the 6d.
It will be strictly for video

giga

Can someone please point me where I can read up on Lightroom settings tips and tricks? Maybe even some presets for download? I´m not getting my pics to look nice at all.
My quick go at it. It's underexposed and the sky is dead. Increase the exposure until the whites actually look white. Adjust the whites slider as well. For the sky, fix the WB and then adjust the blue color saturation/hue/luminance to give it some deep color.

It is slightly out of focus though, so I tried making it sharper. (side effect was that it brought out some noise, but that's better than a blurry subject)

giga

Thanks guys, will look into vids! :)

Yeah, the slow AF on the 100-400 drives me mad sometimes.

Edit: Dammit, for ISO200 I would have expected a lot less noise. :(
It's because it was underexposed. When you brighten up an underexposed shot, all the noise comes out. LR has a noise reduction slider that you can try if it bothers you.

Hammer24

Banned
It's because it was underexposed. When you brighten up an underexposed shot, all the noise comes out. LR has a noise reduction slider that you can try if it bothers you.

As a rule of thumb, would you recommend overexposing in camera, to darken pics in post?

giga

As a rule of thumb, would you recommend overexposing in camera, to darken pics in post?
I would recommend getting the exposure right. ;)

I'd prefer underexposing to overexposing. It's a lot easier to recover dark areas than blown out highlights.

Hammer24

Banned
I´m shooting mostly OOH, sitting on a small (moving) canoe. At 400mm I´m rather limited, mostly going for wide open to get to 1/800 or faster.

I´ll try this ETTR, lets see how this goes.

nib95

Banned
After roughly 4 years of use with my 5D Mk II, I finally decided to upgrade to the 5D Mk III. Still not sure whether to keep it, but I do believe it could greatly increase my shot success rate, especially during wedding shoots. 5D2 is amazing in every way except that bloody auto focusing system, and I'd be lying if I said more flexibility with higher ISO's wouldn't be of great benefit.

Have a wedding coming up so I should be able to give it a tester.

Quick mobile pic.

5DMkIII.jpg

dmshaposv

After roughly 4 years of use with my 5D Mk II, I finally decided to upgrade to the 5D Mk III. Still not sure whether to keep it, but I do believe it could greatly increase my shot success rate, especially during wedding shoots. 5D2 is amazing in every way except that bloody auto focusing system, and I'd be lying if I said more flexibility with higher ISO's wouldn't be of great benefit.

Have a wedding coming up so I should be able to give it a tester.

Quick mobile pic.

I finally got a 5D mk III (for $2700!!) and am really liking it so far.

The 61 point auto-focusing system is dope. I've only had it for a week but AI-servo with 61 AF auto tracking is really really good.

If you are into video - the audio solutions are much better now. I'm selling off my Zoom H4n and thinking about getting this guy: JuicedLINK RM333

Just mount it on the mk III, set the camera levels low and boost the gain on it with a XLR mic like Rode NTG-2 and viola - Audio that is a million times better than in-camera stuff. Also no more SYNCING IN POST!! I hated that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom