• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

I'm tempted to buy one of these

iJp278s5VRYRV.jpg

iXLpB496Fk2aG.jpg

Looks great.

>_< Damn it I got 3 lens adapters and a soft release sitting here and I still have no ship date in sight for mine.

How fast is the AF btw?

I heard the official date would be around mid November for anyone who is getting the 18-55 kit. Seems like Asia and Europe are both selling it with the 35mm now.

AF has been spot on for me so far and pretty quick.
Theres been a couple of times where it took longer than normal to focus, but that didn't happen too frequently. Its definitely an improvement compared
to the current x100 firmware. I haven't tried focusing on any moving objects yet though.

What soft release did you get? I just picked up a Lance wrist strap and I'm looking for a soft release now.

teiresias

So I'm contemplating what my lens setup should be for when I go full-frame (FX). I'm a Nikon guy, so I'm looking to the D600 (but waiting to see if the oil spots on the sensor issue gets cleared up in the next few months) potentially, but we'll see. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC - for my long needs, granted, this doesn't get me as good low light performance as a f/2.8 telezoom, but I really don't think I can spend the money for one of those. This will be my first third-party lens, but the reviews seem universally great, so I think I'll give it a go. I'll mainly use this in daylight at air shows and model rocketry competitions and maybe a walk-around lens in certain locations (parks, etc.).

Nikkor 85mm 1.8G/D - for a portrait lens. This is the one place I'll have some overlap between lenses, as I really think I'll want a good f/1.8 portrait lens even though it overlaps the Tamron.

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G - for my nifty fifty needs. I always want a 50mm-equivalent. On my D90 that was the 35mm 1.8 DX, so this is the next best thing.

Nikkor 35mm 1.8 DX - I figure I'll keep this since I'll probably keep my D90 setup anyway, but the 35mm DX apparently works fairly well on a full-frame with only modest vignetting depending on aperture and focus settings.

Now, what I need suggestions on are wider-angle lenses. Do people recommend I pick a wide-angle prime or is there a good limited range zoom that people recommend for FX?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Personally, I love the 28mm focal length (on full-frame). Not too much distortion to be distracting or draw attention to itself, but enough where you can get some pretty interesting perspective when used well.

Flo_Evans

Thought about that, but always wonder if 28mm is sufficiently wider than the 35mm. Wondering whether I should just bite the bullet and go fisheye perhaps with a lens in the TeenMM range.

yes.

You can use the 35mm 1.8DX on full frame but it vignettes pretty hard (and the corners are a blur mess) this is fine if you are OK with that, but it is a pain when photographing some subjects.

Wide angle FX = $$$, I have the 17-35mm 2.8 with my D600. It is awesome, but expensive (and HUGE) The 16-35 f4 is a little cheaper, but still not "cheap" and a bit slow.

The best bang for the buck is the 20mm 2.8D.

As for the D600 "oil" issue, I would not worry. Your sensor is going to get dirty and need cleaning eventually. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/d600-sensor-dust-issues it is most likely dust and not oil.

Now, what I need suggestions on are wider-angle lenses. Do people recommend I pick a wide-angle prime or is there a good limited range zoom that people recommend for FX?

I shoot Canon so I don't have personal experience with it, but the Nikon 14-24 2.8 is supposedly phenomenal. You just need to shoot wide a lot to justify the cost.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but have any of you guys made large prints of your photos to hang on walls? I recently did a canvas print through Costco's print center that turned out pretty well (best part is hassle free complete refunds if I didn't like it). I saw some acrylic prints at work that look super awesome... from my limited research, they seem prohibitively expensive though. Anybody have experience with acrylic prints and can recommend a reasonable place?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pulled the trigger on a ridiculously low priced Zeiss Contax/Yashica 50mm f/1.4 for $230 on www.keh.com (Bargain grade, usually goes for $300+ for EX grade). Gonna have a Zeiss back in my arsenal! I miss the way my old Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 draws. Was straight magic.

teiresias

yes.

You can use the 35mm 1.8DX on full frame but it vignettes pretty hard (and the corners are a blur mess) this is fine if you are OK with that, but it is a pain when photographing some subjects.

Wide angle FX = $$$, I have the 17-35mm 2.8 with my D600. It is awesome, but expensive (and HUGE) The 16-35 f4 is a little cheaper, but still not "cheap" and a bit slow.

The best bang for the buck is the 20mm 2.8D.

As for the D600 "oil" issue, I would not worry. Your sensor is going to get dirty and need cleaning eventually. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/d600-sensor-dust-issues it is most likely dust and not oil.

Actually, the 20mm 2.8D does look like a fairly good buy. I've always wanted one of the older lenses as well just for the "look" haha. Thanks, this is going on the short list for my WA needs.

This is a good place to ask, so here I go:

I'm studying abroad next Spring, and I'm looking to pick up a DSLR before I leave. I've been wanting one for a long time. I want to get one soon so I have enough time to play around with it before I leave.

I've narrowed it down to 3 options. Anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm looking for recommendations or for someone to say in their opinion, which would be the best option. I'm looking for the best combination of pricing and options.

Nikon D3100
Nikon D3200
Nikon D5100

Thanks! Oh, btw, I'm not a total DSLR newb, I've played with my friend's camera for awhile, but this would be my first. So I guess it would be my "beginner" camera.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but have any of you guys made large prints of your photos to hang on walls? I recently did a canvas print through Costco's print center that turned out pretty well (best part is hassle free complete refunds if I didn't like it). I saw some acrylic prints at work that look super awesome... from my limited research, they seem prohibitively expensive though. Anybody have experience with acrylic prints and can recommend a reasonable place?

I just have mine printed on paper and frame them. I use Blue Cube. He uses top quality paper and ink. Decently priced and shows up at your door shortly after you order :) http://s368228973.onlinehome.us/bluecubeimaging/onlinePrint.html

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

i do metal prints, canvas and traditional paper prints. I have yet to find someone doing acrylic, most people i know buy the machine and do it themselves.

RayStorm

I'm studying abroad next Spring, and I'm looking to pick up a DSLR before I leave. I've been wanting one for a long time. I want to get one soon so I have enough time to play around with it before I leave.
Nikon D3100
Nikon D3200
Nikon D5100

You may want to wait for about 10 days as apparently within the next week the D5200 will be announced.

Right now I'm on the river, with my new a65 and 16-50mm f2.8 on a tripod with and intervalometer hanging off it trying a sunset timelapse. Go new gear!

mclaren777

Can people like zomgbbqftw please explain why you want/buy MLCs?

I understand the pros/cons of each so please don't give me a comparison.

I want to know why you, personally, want/have them as opposed to a DSLR. Is it merely a size issue?

I want to know why you, personally, want/have them as opposed to a DSLR. Is it merely a size issue?

It's smaller so I don't have to lug it around all without compromising on image quality, at least compared to APS-C DSLRs.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It's smaller so I don't have to lug it around all without compromising on image quality, at least compared to APS-C DSLRs.

I'm with zomg on this. I'm in a Canon 550D and entirely happy with it, but mostly because I do a whole load of indoor/studio-type stuff - wouldn't necessarily want to cart it around everywhere unless on a purposeful trip (which is rare). Something you can drop in a large-ish pocket is bound to have significant advantages for actually being there when you want it.

I'm with zomg on this. I'm in a Canon 550D and entirely happy with it, but mostly because I do a whole load of indoor/studio-type stuff - wouldn't necessarily want to cart it around everywhere unless on a purposeful trip (which is rare). Something you can drop in a large-ish pocket is bound to have significant advantages for actually being there when you want it.

Yup, I don't do much indoor stuff, mostly travel and outdoor. The NEX6 and XE1 have got very good manual control and the IQ is better than my old 7D, the lens ecosystem is all I worry about, but I think Fuji are on the ball and Sony will get decent glass out over the next year as they get ready for a FF NEX.

Lugging a 7D around the Grand Canyon really made my mind up though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

size. The other day I went to a friends baby shower brought the OMD with a 25mm and 75mm, its so light i barely know its there.

I've hauled big DSLRs around, they just get in the way. If i can get the same quality in a smaller package why the hell not?

tino

Banned
Nikon and Canon don't really make APSC/compact prime lens. Their top spec (I was going to used the word "top tier" but I realize this will just draw in frame wars) prime lens are all FF lens, so basically one class bigger and heavier.

Pentax used to be the only who make compact prime lens in APSC land. Now that mirrorless technology is ready, the mirrorless systems are picking up the slack and making top spec compact prime lens.

If you want a range of fast and compact prime lens for a APSC system, Fuji (and in some ways Samsung and Sony) have offerings that can satisfy the enthusiasts. Nikon and Canon's DSLR actually don't offer that. DSLR's advantage is AF speed and accuracy. FF is DSLR's biggest strength. IMO if you are investing in a new DSLR system now, you might as well start off with a FF body (whatever you can afford.)

Hilti92

Hi GAF.. Went to Bestbuy today and picked up a Samsung WB150F Smart Camera for $169. $100 off so it seems like a good deal. I wont be opening it until Christmas time so I was wondering if anyone here has the camera that can say any impressions about it. Is it worth keeping or should I look into something else? Can't afford anything more expensive to be honest.

Fivefold

Banned

Saying it's merely a size issue kinda paints it short. If you're taking street or travel photography, walking around all day with a camera, they're just a godsend. Not only because they're smaller, lighter and easier to carry, but because they're much more discreet than a huge DSLR. People see something like a OMD or a Xpro1 and just think "oh, dumbass tourist with a point and shoot" and ignore it. They see you with a "profesional looking" DSLR taking candids and pictures of buildings and they might shout at you/mug you/call the cops on you depending on the place.

I own both. I use DSLR's when I know an OVF will be particularly useful (fast action outdoors, for example) usually combined with fast yet bulky zoom lenses.

MLCs are more for compact size as a carry anywhere camera with good IQ. I favor fairly fast (pancake) primes here.

BlueTsunami

So I got my Zeiss yesterday! The lens...

uv4hF.jpg

Samples at varying distances...

Holds contrast like damn beast (no hood to boot, need to get one though since flaring is still possible). Colors are remarkable (like them better than my former Zeiss 50/1.7). Sharpness is unsurprisingly extremely high stopped down (make sure to open up the images in a separate tab to see the larger size image). Worth every single penny.

tino

Banned
Nice contrast and performance against the sun. What version and mount is this Zeiss 1.4/50. I don't see the chrome ring, I take it its an older variant.

Are you planning to use it as your main portrait lens?

BlueTsunami

Nice contrast and performance against the sun. What version and mount is this Zeiss 1.4/50. I don't see the chrome ring, I take it its an older variant.

Are you planning to use it as your main portrait lens?

Yep, its the '80s Cosina made Contax/Yashica mount. All of them definitely have that nice all black look that I prefer over the modern ones with chrome rings.

Its going to be my workhorse lens since I pretty much shot 50mm for a long time with my Rebel XT so I see in that 85mm FoV equivalent and prefer it. Really dug my former Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 as a portrait lens too so I see myself using this one similarly and the spherical aberration that appears wide open should give that nice dreamy look too.

Absol

I want to buy my Mom a camera for her birthday in about three weeks. Decided to get her a camera since she's going to travel to Europe for vacation on January. What's a good camera for general pictures? I'm looking to spend about $300-400.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Canon is finally updating the 35mm F/2 Ef Lens! I want it!

http://photorumors.com/2012/11/05/c...nses-leaked-ahead-of-announcement/#more-35082

Canon EF35mm F2 IS USM lens
  • 10 elements in 8 groups, the lens structure is molded glass aspherical lens
  • 8 blades circular aperture
  • The effect of camera shake correction about four stages
  • AF motor ring USM, full-time manual focus
  • 67mm filter size
  • 62.6mm length, 77.9mm maximum diameter, 335g weight
  • Released in early December 2012
  • Expected price shop around ¥ 74,000 (around $900)
  • Released in December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom