• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
I just picked up the 16GB Eye-Fi SD card for my X10 today, I won't be able to try it until later tonight but it's hard to believe I bought a 128MB SD card a few years back for $125 and today I bought a 16GB card with inbuilt wireless N for the same price.

tino

Banned
They put IS in a wide angle lens? Really?

Pentax used to sell new 35mm f/2.0 full frame lens for $199. That was just 4-5 years ago.

Thraktor

They put IS in a wide angle lens? Really?

If the four-stop IS claim is accurate, you'd be able to hand-hold while shooting at a half-second exposure, which would be quite astonishing. Combined with high ISOs on a 5DMkIII and you'd pretty much be able to shoot hand-held in near pitch-black conditions and still get very serviceable photos. Why you'd want to, I have no idea, but it doesn't hurt to have the option.

Edit: Actually, arguably more interesting is the news of a EF24-70mm f/4L IS. Does this mean they're going to phase out the 24-105mm?

Thraktor

Does Canon offer a no IS version like the 70-200/4?

There's the 24-70mm f2.8L, which is non-IS, but a lot more expensive, so not really comparable. They still have a couple of cheap full-frame zooms seemingly left over from their film days (the EF 28-105mm f4-5.6 USM and EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM), but nothing really in the mid-range to suit the 6D or second-hand 5D/5DMkII.

If competition does continue pushing FF cameras to more affordable prices, we might be seeing the start of a move to a quartet of 24-70 lenses in the same way they have the four 70-200s.

Flo_Evans

New D5200! http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/06/nikon-announces-nikon-d5200

24 MP sensor with same AF system as the D7000. Wasn't that the main complaint about the D5100?

hmmm I wonder if it is the D7000 AF or the improved D600 version?

edit:

also 1st? nikon 70-200 f/4 hands on: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1160567 Check out some of the long exposure times handheld.... dat VRIII

this image in particular stood out to me

D800E, 200mm, 1/30 sec (!), handheld, f4, ISO 100

Hilti92

What would GAF recommend for cameras that are under $300 that takes SLR quality photos? Bought a WB150F Samsung camera and it is not what I expected. My phone takes better quality photos to be quite honest. I'm looking for something that can take rapid shot photos and will just take nice, clean photos.

Thraktor

What would GAF recommend for cameras that are under $300 that takes SLR quality photos? Bought a WB150F Samsung camera and it is not what I expected. My phone takes better quality photos to be quite honest. I'm looking for something that can take rapid shot photos and will just take nice, clean photos.

Have a look at something in Olympus's E-PL or E-PM lines, you should be able to get one with a kit zoom for around $300, I think. (Although you might have to go second-hand)

I'm not sure a 24-70 f/4 makes any sense.

I'd much rather have an f/4 wide zoom, an f/4 tele and a fast 50mm. (Maybe a fast 24 or 35mm prime too).

It would make sense if it was cheaper, as an "always on" zoom with better IQ than the 24-105mm f/4 (less distortion).

I'm thinking about selling my 17-40mm f/4 and buy a used 35mm f/1.4 instead. I just love the 35mm focal length and don't use the wider range of the 17-40mm very often.

So, during my recent banning, I got into the realm of vintage lenses. I love 'em but none of the AF confirm chipped adapters work on my T4i. Anybody else have this issue?

Hilti92

Have a look at something in Olympus's E-PL or E-PM lines, you should be able to get one with a kit zoom for around $300, I think. (Although you might have to go second-hand)

Picked up the E-PM1 today and I absolutely love it. Beautiful camera and it's very user friendly. I appreciate the suggestion. I find it's exactly like a SLR quality wise. Anyways, how do you guys get the camera to focus on 1 image and have the background blurry? Is that a photoshop effect or is there a way to do that with the camera?

Picked up the E-PM1 today and I absolutely love it. Beautiful camera and it's very user friendly. I appreciate the suggestion. I find it's exactly like a SLR quality wise. Anyways, how do you guys get the camera to focus on 1 image and have the background blurry? Is that a photoshop effect or is there a way to do that with the camera?

You can get that by - for example - using a long (telephoto) lens with a wide aperture. You can get somewhat close to that by setting the kit zoom to its 42mm setting and taking a portrait of somebody at a relatively short distance. You should do some reading on depth of field.

Hilti92

You can get that by - for example - using a long (telephoto) lens with a wide aperture. You can get somewhat close to that by setting the kit zoom to its 42mm setting and taking a portrait of somebody at a relatively short distance. You should do some reading on depth of field.

Alright, thank you very much. Might start participating in the photography contest thread. Just for fun.

Fusebox

Banned
I've been using the Eye-Fi SD card over the last week, it's brilliant, I can shoot a bunch of pics and by the time I look at the ipad to review them they're already copied over, geotagged and waiting for me. I may never have to remove my SD card again.

nitewulf

Does Canon offer a no IS version like the 70-200/4?

i dont know if its currently in production, but there was 70-200 L f/4 IS and non-IS, and 70-200 L f/2.8 IS and non-IS, the f/4 non-IS arguably having the best image quality. my brother had that lens and loved it. cheapest also.

he also swears by the 24-105 L, which ppl sell off because its apparently a "kit" lens. so you can get an incredibly good all around lens for quite cheap.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've been using the Eye-Fi SD card over the last week, it's brilliant, I can shoot a bunch of pics and by the time I look at the ipad to review them they're already copied over, geotagged and waiting for me. I may never have to remove my SD card again.

Can you get them to automatically feed into iPhoto?

Right now my workflow is:

Shoot -> Remove SD card and insert into computer -> Drag all the photos I like into a folder -> Edit in Picasa -> Upload to Flickr

With the Eye-Fi, can I...

Shoot -> Edit photo on ipad with iphoto -> upload with flickit

nitewulf

these are close to but no-quite slr like cameras. i use the gf1 most of the time, myself. to best take the shots you are talking about, you need the 45mm f/1.8 prime lens by olympus:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058PL9QG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

the 45mm acts like a 90mm telephoto for your micro four-thirds system which "compresses" the image, flattens the blackground and the foreground, and the very fast aperture of 1.8 blurs the background, when you focus on a subject on the foreground, like someone's face. although with fast aperture lenses, always using the fastest setting isn't a great idea, because your focusing has to be absolutely perfect, else you will get a blurry subject. so using an aperture of 2.0 or 2.8 during daytime, with the appropriate shutter speed (set the camera on aperture priority), stand back and frame your subject's upper half body, which a decently open background, or well lit background in the evening...and you will get those shots you are seeking.

fixuis

Funny this thread should pop up when it did. Just bought a Nikon d5100 and it's an absolutely amazing camera. I'm new to all this so any tips for taking the best pics and vids indoors and outdoors? Thanks.

2real4tv

Any good places to get one at good price? What's the max size?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
GAF photographers are gearophiles
this thread gets more action than the 'POST YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY' thread

I'm like jiji too, I shoot something nearly everyday and refrain from posting too much lest I'd inundate the photo thread. I must admit though I get great satisfaction from reading about and getting new gear.

fat pat

Look what came for me yesterday.
aOsLd.jpg

Parallacs

So, during my recent banning, I got into the realm of vintage lenses. I love 'em but none of the AF confirm chipped adapters work on my T4i. Anybody else have this issue?

Cool! Curious about what vintage lenses you are using.

I shoot 90% of the time with a Pentax Takumar on my 5D. I also use my old selection of Nikon lenses. I just picked up the Nikon 15mm 3.5 for a steal. That thing is so much fun.

In answer to your question, all of my AF confirm adapters work. I use Big-IS (eBay seller name and product name) for my M42-EOS adapters. They are dirt cheap and come from hong kong. For the Nikon one, I needed it fast so I got a no-brand generic for $15 locally. It also works.

Are you sure you have the camera set on Av or M mode? It probably won't give AF confirm on P mode. I shoot in Liveview mode anyways, where Magic Lamp has disabled it. The zoom box makes it simple to see if it is in focus.

Rookje

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the NEX-6. Should I get the lens bundle on Amazon, or just the body?

And anyone want to talk me out of getting it?

Cool! Curious about what vintage lenses you are using.

I shoot 90% of the time with a Pentax Takumar on my 5D. I also use my old selection of Nikon lenses. I just picked up the Nikon 15mm 3.5 for a steal. That thing is so much fun.

In answer to your question, all of my AF confirm adapters work. I use Big-IS (eBay seller name and product name) for my M42-EOS adapters. They are dirt cheap and come from hong kong. For the Nikon one, I needed it fast so I got a no-brand generic for $15 locally. It also works.

Are you sure you have the camera set on Av or M mode? It probably won't give AF confirm on P mode. I shoot in Liveview mode anyways, where Magic Lamp has disabled it. The zoom box makes it simple to see if it is in focus.

Yeah, I contacted Big yesterday and he informed me none of the chips work on T4i's. someone needs to develop new chipsets. As far as my lenses, I came across a Super Tak 50mm 1.4 for about $20 and have since picked up a Helios 44m-2, a Super Tak 28mm 3.5 complete with hood and cases, and a Super Tak 135mm 3.5 complete. These Tak lenses are beautifully built and a joy to use. I think I'm going to try to get them all (except for the rarer ones)

I'm looking for advice so this might be the best place to ask.

For the daily things I just use my cellphone camera but I'd like to get something better for vacations, trips, etc. I don't want a bulky camera, probably something that can fit in my pants or my wife's purse.

Parallacs

Yeah, I contacted Big yesterday and he informed me none of the chips work on T4i's. someone needs to develop new chipsets. As far as my lenses, I came across a Super Tak 50mm 1.4 for about $20 and have since picked up a Helios 44m-2, a Super Tak 28mm 3.5 complete with hood and cases, and a Super Tak 135mm 3.5 complete. These Tak lenses are beautifully built and a joy to use. I think I'm going to try to get them all (except for the rarer ones)

The takumars are so awesome. I currently have:

35mm 2.0
50mm 1.4 7 Super-Tak
50mm 1.4 SMC
55mm 2.0 (I have no reason to use this. Bought it thinking it was the 35!)
135mm 2.5

You have to see the 17mm. It is unreal. There is a small ring on the top that, when rotated, selects between THREE filters that are somehow built into the lens. And the thing is about the size of a 50mm. I've wanted one so bad since using it but $500 is crazy.

Also, steer clear of the 200mm 4. It isn't very good.

between $200 and $1200. I don't mind paying more as long as it's worth it. If I've to pay $500 for something that's marginally better, then it's not worth it IMHO.

tino

Banned
between $200 and $1200. I don't mind paying more as long as it's worth it. If I've to pay $500 for something that's marginally better, then it's not worth it IMHO.

If you want pocketable basically these are the options:

Nokia 808 $500
Fuji XF1 $500
Fuji X10 $600
Sony RX100 $800

The takumars are so awesome. I currently have:

35mm 2.0
50mm 1.4 7 Super-Tak
50mm 1.4 SMC
55mm 2.0 (I have no reason to use this. Bought it thinking it was the 35!)
135mm 2.5

You have to see the 17mm. It is unreal. There is a small ring on the top that, when rotated, selects between THREE filters that are somehow built into the lens. And the thing is about the size of a 50mm. I've wanted one so bad since using it but $500 is crazy.

Also, steer clear of the 200mm 4. It isn't very good.

Thanks, I was looking at the 200mm so it's nice to get that input. I was hesitant anyways because the focal length is harder to use with MF. That 17mm is truly beautiful and maybe as a splurge someday. The Tak's are so damn collectible too.

What about the ones on the previous page?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO59LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096W1OKS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It boggles my mind that these two are $800 dollars appart. Is the difference really that noticeable? I probably won't buy a camera for another 4 years so I'd like something that I won't regret. I had a small, cheap olympus before and I took it on a trip, photos were really bad in low light, blurry, etc. It stopped working after visiting some hot springs. A year after that I went to Easter Island and said "fuck it" after my previous experience, not worth to carry something like that around when all the pictures look like crap. I still regret no getting pictures, lol.

tino

Banned
They are bother good deals. But NEX6 is much bigger.

Why don't you buy the cheaper one then. You don't seem to know what is a good size for you. Imposing an arbitrary 4 years limit serve no purpose. If you asked 2 weeks ago you could have gotten the Nex5n kit for 450.

They are bother good deals. But NEX6 is much bigger.

Why don't you buy the cheaper one then. You don't seem to know what is a good size for you. Imposing an arbitrary 4 years limit serve no purpose. If you asked 2 weeks ago you could have gotten the Nex5n kit for 450.

Because the last one I bought just broke down easily and was not really that good. So I'm asking for advice to not make that same mistake again (unless that cheap olympus is actually good).

Regarding the size, all I know is that you typical SLR is way too big for me, ie. I don't want carry an additional bag for my camera. I just want to toss it in my backpack. I usually just travel very light. The 4 years limit was to make a point that I just wan't to buy it and not worry about it in a long time. Photography is not my hobby and I don't keep up with the new stuff, that doesn't mean I don't want or can't appreciate better pictures. Are referring to this kit? Nex5n

Thanks for the patience, as I said I really don't keep with this stuff and would like some advice. ie, the X will work better in Y situations and you can upgrade to Z later if you are more invested into photography.

Parallacs

What about the ones on the previous page?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO59LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096W1OKS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It boggles my mind that these two are $800 dollars appart. Is the difference really that noticeable? I probably won't buy a camera for another 4 years so I'd like something that I won't regret. I had a small, cheap olympus before and I took it on a trip, photos were really bad in low light, blurry, etc. It stopped working after visiting some hot springs. A year after that I went to Easter Island and said "fuck it" after my previous experience, not worth to carry something like that around when all the pictures look like crap. I still regret no getting pictures, lol.

From your story it sounds like you want quality, and in terms of photography, you get what you pay for.

If I were you, I would set my budget at the midway point of $600 - $800 and then I would not regret buying another cheap camera.

I would also learn to deal with putting my camera around my neck instead of my pocket. Getting a nice neck strap for a Nex-6 or Fuji X100 will cut down on the strain and be hardly noticeable.

If you are firm on pockets though, go with any of the recommendations tino or I listed.

From your story it sounds like you want quality, and in terms of photography, you get what you pay for.

If I were you, I would set my budget at the midway point of $600 - $800 and then I would not regret buying another cheap camera.

I would also learn to deal with putting my camera around my neck instead of my pocket. Getting a nice neck strap for a Nex-6 or Fuji X100 will cut down on the strain and be hardly noticeable.

If you are firm on pockets though, go with any of the recommendations tino or I listed.

Thanks that's very helpful. Do you guys think a good deal will pop out on BF for this price range?

Fusebox

Banned
Any good places to get one at good price? What's the max size?

Dunno about the US, I walked into a store in Sydney and got the max size of 16GB for AUS$125

Can you get them to automatically feed into iPhoto?

Right now my workflow is:

Shoot -> Remove SD card and insert into computer -> Drag all the photos I like into a folder -> Edit in Picasa -> Upload to Flickr

With the Eye-Fi, can I...

Shoot -> Edit photo on ipad with iphoto -> upload with flickit

Yep. Via way of the Eye-fi iOS app. So long as its open and connected your photos appear a few seconds later in the iPad photo roll.

Is that what you mean by iPhoto? The iPad camera roll?

tino

Banned
Because the last one I bought just broke down easily and was not really that good. So I'm asking for advice to not make that same mistake again (unless that cheap olympus is actually good).

Regarding the size, all I know is that you typical SLR is way too big for me, ie. I don't want carry an additional bag for my camera. I just want to toss it in my backpack. I usually just travel very light. The 4 years limit was to make a point that I just wan't to buy it and not worry about it in a long time. Photography is not my hobby and I don't keep up with the new stuff, that doesn't mean I don't want or can't appreciate better pictures. Are referring to this kit? Nex5n

Thanks for the patience, as I said I really don't keep with this stuff and would like some advice. ie, the X will work better in Y situations and you can upgrade to Z later if you are more invested into photography.

The ZX1 is 2 generations old. The N6 is new, as well as the 4 I post earlier. If you are my friend, I would insist one of my original 4 suggestions. Also add N6 to the list if you want.

Lets put it this way, I wouldn't call the ZX1 best bang for the buck even at 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom