• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

I'm tempted to buy one of these

iJp278s5VRYRV.jpg

iXLpB496Fk2aG.jpg

mclaren777

Did you get the Carry Speed strap, I just got mine but the handle to make the strap longer/shorter already snapped, seems like it was not sewed properly, I really hope the rest of the Strap doesnt fall apart.

Are you talking about the little leather pull tab?

My strap has been great so far, though I heard that they're in the process of revising the design so it's possible we might be eligible for an update at some point.

Are you talking about the little leather pull tab?

My strap has been great so far, though I heard that they're in the process of revising the design so it's possible we might be eligible for an update at some point.

Yeah, the one attached to the buckle that controls the length of the main strap.

I dont think I miss it , since you can just grab the buckle and pull/push.

But yeah im just hoping the other sewed parts of the strap are sewed better than it.

Other than that I really like it, it fits my camera bag perfectly fine, I cant wait to go out and shoot for a while.

Salaadin

Just purchased a t3i.

Any tripod brand recommendations?

A search on Amazon shows a huge range of them and I dont know whats what. I really dont trust a 20 dollar tripod with 600.00 of camera so I do want something sturdy but, at the same time, it cant be too pricey.

dmshaposv

Get a good quality tripod from manfrotto (I personally get everything from them).

Trust me its worth the money. Buy a high-quality tripod that is somewhat heavy duty >>>>> cheapo lightweight tripods. Save wasting money on loads of useless tripods.

I learned it the hard way. Ruined my Zoom when my cheap tripod went off balance. :(

Just purchased a t3i.

Any tripod brand recommendations?

A search on Amazon shows a huge range of them and I dont know whats what. I really dont trust a 20 dollar tripod with 600.00 of camera so I do want something sturdy but, at the same time, it cant be too pricey.

try a bogen tripod on craigslist first.
got me a manfrotto 502 head with a bogen tripod on CL for around $150.
it would usually retail for around $400 at least.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
i'm finally ready to upgrade my 40D, so the 5D mk 2 or the 6D? any thoughts?

I went with the 5DMKII because it is cheaper, out now and I like the build. 6D is smaller, not out now and anything extra it has over the 5DMKII I don't need so I'd rather have the extra cash.

/XX/

finally took the plunge on a 5d mark ii.
i'll be mostly be using it for video.
does anyone recommend a good CF card?
is 400x fast enough? or should i go for 600x?
i plan on upping the magic lantern bitrate setting to 3.0x.
or at least how far i can push the bitrate setting.

nitewulf

I'd definitely wait for the 6D. New sensor tech, fantastic low-light, full-frame for a decent price. I think it's an ideal upgrade for someone in your situation.

yeah i am definitely leaning in that direction. the smaller size is actually a positive for me, as i need it to be portable. i will most likely pair it with the 24-105mm f/4, and use my 35mm f/1.4 as needed. i will miss the efs 17-55mm f/2.8 though. brilliant lens, that.

I am confused now a bit, this is the exact lens I want to order. I saw some people saying that it will auto focus on a D50.

http://www.adorama.com/NK8518AFDU.html?gclid=CK309ZjclLMCFY6DQgodG1UAkA

(hope linking there is ok...) regardless it is the Nikon 85mm f/1.8D AF.

Zyzyxxz

Well crap...it sounds like my D50 would not be a good fit for this lens after looking it up. Thanks for the heads up

You'll be fine if you have a D50. Just remember if you have any AF-D lenses and you want to upgrade the body you can't use them on a D3000/D5000 series cameras.

Go to a store and buy the one that feels best in your hand.

I was wondering with some hands on reviews. They both feel pretty good. I heard a comparison from somwhere that Nikon is like PC and Cannon is like Apple as far as features and ease of use go. Before I jump into a system I was just curious what others thought. My understanding is that once I make the initial purchase I am going to be in on that camp if I go and get lenses with that purchase as well.

tino

Banned
I was wondering with some hands on reviews. They both feel pretty good. I heard a comparison from somwhere that Nikon is like PC and Cannon is like Apple as far as features and ease of use go. Before I jump into a system I was just curious what others thought. My understanding is that once I make the initial purchase I am going to be in on that camp if I go and get lenses with that purchase as well.

If you want more crappy car ananlogue, here is mine: Nikon is like BMW (slightly higher price, better fit and finish, more die hard fans), Canon is like both Toyota and Lexus (more bang for the buck pretty reliable etc)

Pentax is like Mazda, it never gets a break. Leica is Porsche, they all look the same. I have nothing for Sony and Fuji.

Yoritomo

If you have friends that shoot with one of those brands get that, so you can borrow their lenses.

Otherwise the choice doesn't matter as much. They all take pretty pictures and since you're thinking of the d7000 they have a range of available autofocus lenses in the hundreds for every single price point. Post processing suites from third parties like Apple's Aperture or Adobe Lightroom, mean that even given differing sensor characteristics you can make images look exactly the same. There is literally no good reason to go with one or the other for considerations other than reliability, price, personal preference in handling, and borrowing lenses from friends.

That Nikon/PC and Canon/Apple analogy isn't very accurate. They have very similar systems overall, each with some small advantages and disadvantages.

Nikon and Canon each have their own style of body design, physical controls, and software UI. Those represent the biggest differences between the two brands for the average user, so I recommend going to a camera store and getting familiar with bodies made by each. Personally, I've always preferred Nikon's controls, especially on their semi-pro bodies and up.

Nikons do tend to have more advanced sensors (thanks to their Sony partnership) than Canon at any particular price tier. You can take a look at DXOMark comparisons for any particular bodies you're interested in.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
If you have friends that shoot with one of those brands get that, so you can borrow their lenses.

Otherwise the choice doesn't matter as much.

This, There's nothing significant between them other than personal preference and a bit of tribal and historical loyalty (of which the historical is forgivable because of lenses and suchlike, and the tribal is partly forgivable because of familiarity with the interface). For someone starting out, though, neither of these things matter a damn and they sure as hell won't make the difference between a bad and a good photographer.

Just go for whatever you feel comfortable with, accept that from there on in you will probably be labelled a "Nikon guy" or a "Canon guy" and ignore it all - nobody really (despite appearances sometimes) cares what kit you shoot with. Got a bunch of friends who swear by Pentax and my, do they shoot good photos? Yes, they do.

I heard a comparison from somwhere that Nikon is like PC and Cannon is like Apple as far as features and ease of use go.

The only similarity is the stupid fight between users; as far as I am concerned there's a lot more substantive in the computer differences than in the cameras. I use a Mac because they're better and shoot Nikon because it felt good in my hand.

Ok I want a opinion on something again please.

I am still looking at getting the 85mm 1.8. But I also feel a body upgrade would be a smart idea. Considering the d7000 costs under 1k now I am very interested in it again.

Here is my current gear.
D50 with 50mm 1.8 prime, 55-200, 12-24 wide.

Do you guys think I should skip the 85 for now and save for the body? A friend has the 7000 and I adore it so far, such a jump in tech from my old D50. I take good shots with my 50 still but feel it may be time to upgrade. I only use photography as a hobby and vary rarely get payed for something so maybe that will help you all understand my situation.

Thanks PhotoGAF :)

tino

Banned
Ok I want a opinion on something again please.

I am still looking at getting the 85mm 1.8. But I also feel a body upgrade would be a smart idea. Considering the d7000 costs under 1k now I am very interested in it again.

Here is my current gear.
D50 with 50mm 1.8 prime, 55-200, 12-24 wide.

Do you guys think I should skip the 85 for now and save for the body? A friend has the 7000 and I adore it so far, such a jump in tech from my old D50. I take good shots with my 50 still but feel it may be time to upgrade. I only use photography as a hobby and vary rarely get payed for something so maybe that will help you all understand my situation.

Thanks PhotoGAF :)

Digital body price depricate very fast, especially discontinued Nikon bodies. Keep in mind the 85/1.8 won't depreciate at all any time soon. Just one thing to keep in mind.

How important are the new features in the D7000 to you? And how much you are willing to pay for those features? Its your call.

Finally got my Fuji X-E1 in with the 35mm lens and I'm enjoying it a lot. I thought I would really miss the OVF, but to my surprise I actually don't mind at all. Build quality is nice, but it feels like the x100 has better materials for the metal parts. It could just be my mind playing tricks on me though.

tino

Banned
Finally got my Fuji X-E1 in with the 35mm lens and I'm enjoying it a lot. I thought I would really miss the OVF, but to my surprise I actually don't mind at all. Build quality is nice, but it feels like the x100 has better materials for the metal parts. It could just be my mind playing tricks on me though.

>_< Damn it I got 3 lens adapters and a soft release sitting here and I still have no ship date in sight for mine.

How fast is the AF btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom