• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got a sigma 30mm f/1.4 for my 7d, nice and close to 50mm as i can get on the 1.6 crop

i am still not totally sure why i even bought it though because i have mostly transitioned to using m4/3s stuff. i guess now i am going to get back into canon

Damaged

Okay, just did a stupid thing and accidentally bid on a Nikon Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF ED instead of the 80-200 f/2.8 AF ED I was after.

Worse case scenario I can always just resell it as I only threw on a low bid (£320 and its supposedly almost brand new) but if I don't get outbid am I getting a decent lens?

Hi guys. I am starting to rebuild my kit after being robbed 3 months ago. I think it's time to resume my artistic hobby.

I am planning on buying a refurb 60D. What I am trying to figure out right now is what lenses to get.

My only remaining lens is my 70-200mm F/4L which I still adore. Yes, it's a bit slow, and doesn't have IS but for a budding hobbyist it's great for now.

I'm thinking 50mm f/1.4 for indoor shots/portrait and 17-50mm Tamron (non-VC) for wide angle/ walk around.

Thoughts?

Tekniqs

bought a t3i the other day. THinking of picking up the 50mm/1.8 as my "go to" lens for when I go out on random friends/family activities. yay or nay?

Flo_Evans

Okay, just did a stupid thing and accidentally bid on a Nikon Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF ED instead of the 80-200 f/2.8 AF ED I was after.

Worse case scenario I can always just resell it as I only threw on a low bid (£320 and its supposedly almost brand new) but if I don't get outbid am I getting a decent lens?

Smaller, lighter, a hair better optically. Slightly slow AF, very nice manual focus action.

I hope this is the right place for this...

But, I don't suppose you guys know if it's at all possible to pick up a decent point and shoot camera for $100'ish?

not really. $200 is around where you'll start seeing the benefits over a decent phone, and even then they're slim.

then again if you don't have a decent phone, maybe a $100 point and shoot would be an upgrade. canon is generally good with these, and their A810 is about that much.

dmshaposv

just got a sigma 30mm f/1.4 for my 7d, nice and close to 50mm as i can get on the 1.6 crop

i am still not totally sure why i even bought it though because i have mostly transitioned to using m4/3s stuff. i guess now i am going to get back into canon

Awesome lens/body combo.

I had a 600d not too long ao with a sigma 30mm f1.4 - and I had many keepers.

Shuusui

Sony NEX-5N owner here.

Really enjoy taking macro photos. Any recommended lenses for getting supreme bokeh and clearer macro images?

Magni

Ever since I decided to wait on the Lumia 920 (stupid AT&T worldwide exclusives grrr), I've been looking at lenses for my K-r. I toyed a bit with the idea of getting the 10-17 Fisheye before opting for the 17-70 to replace my 18-55 DAL kit lens. Got the Sigma as it seemed like a better value after reading about the two online, can't wait to get it hopefully this week!

I then also looked a bit at the K-30 to replace my K-r (that I would then sell with the kit lens), but I don't know if I can justify it. How much could I get for a used (but in very good shape) black K-r?

fake edit: it seems like I can use my K-r batteries (D-LI09) on the K-30, so I wouldn't need to sell my extra battery and buy a new one, yay!

Hi folks, I have a Canon T2i. Can you recommend an affordable lens (under $300) that will allow me to take portrait that throws the background into a blur?

giga

20% off all refurb canon lenses: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wc...tegorySort_10051_10051_-1_22751_lowPrice_list

Crazy stuff. Wish the 135L was in stock. Got the 50/1.4 for 270 after tax though.

bought a t3i the other day. THinking of picking up the 50mm/1.8 as my "go to" lens for when I go out on random friends/family activities. yay or nay?
Get the 40mm 2.8 instead for a bit more. Far more usable focal length.

Hi folks, I have a Canon T2i. Can you recommend an affordable lens (under $300) that will allow me to take portrait that throws the background into a blur?
Click link above and get the 50mm 1.4.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I would recommend the Canon 50 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8.
They're both good value lenses which will blur the background and are good focal lengths for portraits. However, both push your budget a tiny bit. You can probably find either of them used for somewhere around $300. Also, with both of these you'd probably want to stop down to around 2.8 to get really sharp image quality (that's also a wide enough aperture to keep the background blurred).
If your budget is tight, you could go with the Canon 50 1.8 which is only $100 or so. Compared to the 50 1.4, it's got a cheaper build quality, a smaller aperture, and worse image quality. However, the build quality doesn't necessarily matter all that much for actually taking the pictures, the smaller aperture isn't a huge deal either since you'd want to stop it down to 2.8ish anyways to get sharp image quality, and the worse image quality is solved probably 75% by stopping down to around 2.8.

So I suppose the conclusion is that with your budget, the Canon 50 1.8 would be a good choice for portraits.

Edit: Here's a nice comparison tool so you can see exactly what I'm getting at: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

I would recommend the Canon 50 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8.
They're both good value lenses which will blur the background and are good focal lengths for portraits. However, both push your budget a tiny bit. You can probably find either of them used for somewhere around $300. Also, with both of these you'd probably want to stop down to around 2.8 to get really sharp image quality (that's also a wide enough aperture to keep the background blurred).
If your budget is tight, you could go with the Canon 50 1.8 which is only $100 or so. Compared to the 50 1.4, it's got a cheaper build quality, a smaller aperture, and worse image quality. However, the build quality doesn't necessarily matter all that much for actually taking the pictures, the smaller aperture isn't a huge deal either since you'd want to stop it down to 2.8ish anyways to get sharp image quality, and the worse image quality is solved probably 75% by stopping down to around 2.8.

So I suppose the conclusion is that with your budget, the Canon 50 1.8 would be a good choice for portraits.

Edit: Here's a nice comparison tool so you can see exactly what I'm getting at: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

I have a T2i and both the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8. Image quality is pretty similar, but build quality and USM focusing make the 85 a much better lens (for me, anyways). 85mm on a crop can be a little awkward though.

Sony NEX-5N owner here.

Really enjoy taking macro photos. Any recommended lenses for getting supreme bokeh and clearer macro images?

I picked up the Vivitar S1 version of this for my NEX-7 a couple weeks ago:

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokina-90mm-f25-at-x-macro-bokina.html

It's quite fun to use, albeit a bit heavy and large.

That being said, if you want a lens strictly for macro usage, I'd go with a manual focus, since that's what you'll be doing anyway. The NEX is perfect for that, as you can adapt just about anything to it.

However, if you want something that does both general purpose as well as macro, you might want autofocus. Unfortunately the only thing that natively does AF on NEX is the Sony 30mm macro, which is too short for macro for my liking.

Shuusui

I picked up the Vivitar S1 version of this for my NEX-7 a couple weeks ago:

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokina-90mm-f25-at-x-macro-bokina.html

It's quite fun to use, albeit a bit heavy and large.

That being said, if you want a lens strictly for macro usage, I'd go with a manual focus, since that's what you'll be doing anyway. The NEX is perfect for that, as you can adapt just about anything to it.

However, if you want something that does both general purpose as well as macro, you might want autofocus. Unfortunately the only thing that natively does AF on NEX is the Sony 30mm macro, which is too short for macro for my liking.

Any samples of shots you've taken using it?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
i'm thinking of trying out long exposures since I'll be heading to the beach and whatnot...BUT I'll hold off for now

circular polarizers add some light loss that can be used to shoot wide open to near wide open if need be. Long exposures on a sunny day require a very dark filter that would make composing shots hard with the filter on.

Fired on the 18-135 STM and t4i deal for 899.99. My other lens is the 70-200mm F/4L. Anything else I should get for this kit? (maybe polarizing filter for 18-135)

Alright I've sold my Nikon D3000. It was nice, but I prefer the interface of the Canon models (especially after messing about with my friends 5D).

So I'm looking for a new DSLR but I'm not too familiar with the Canon models. So then, what Canon would be comparable to the D3000 I'm replacing?

I like having the option to do HD video as well. That was one thing that bugged me about the D3000 as the following year they added it :(

Thanks in advance...

Iacobellis

Alright I've sold my Nikon D3000. It was nice, but I prefer the interface of the Canon models (especially after messing about with my friends 5D).

So I'm looking for a new DSLR but I'm not too familiar with the Canon models. So then, what Canon would be comparable to the D3000 I'm replacing?

I like having the option to do HD video as well. That was one thing that bugged me about the D3000 as the following year they added it :(

Thanks in advance...

I think the T3 is in the same range.

Thanks in advance...

t3 is the base model, but I recommend the t4i. It's a stellar piece of equipment.

Should be getting my Tamron 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 SP in a couple days... Bought for $449 but it has a $100 mail-in rebate. Hopefully that goes through.

I have high hopes for this lens! Hopefully it's a good match for my D3100.

I finally caved and got an RX100. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted in an alternate camera. Decent shots in something that I can carry with me 100% of the time.

Also my mom told me she'd pass on her 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS to me this Christmas. Not sure what I will shoot with that beast but it will be my first L

2real4tv

Any thought's on the Nikon 600D for a beginner? Currently have a nex 5 and want to step up. Originally was going to pursue a Nex 7 but like the 600D when I play with it at BB.

Picked up the D7000 last week at Best Buy. They had the kit with the 18-105mm for 999, I couldn't pass it up seeing as that is the price of just the body currently. It is a massive jump from my D50 that I have had for almost 8 years now.

Can't wait to mess with it more.

I love how pocket-friendly these mirrorless cameras are.

Vpbcs.jpg

Any thought's on the Nikon 600D for a beginner? Currently have a nex 5 and want to step up. Originally was going to pursue a Nex 7 but like the 600D when I play with it at BB.

For a beginner it's completely pointless and it will lock you into a very expensive lens ecosystem. Have a serious think about what you really need and take a look at the prices of Nikon FX lenses. Your NEX is very versatile, but since you have the OG NEX-5 then maybe take a look at getting the NEX-6 or a Fuji XE-1. NEX is great for using older lenses since the E-Mount is completely open and a lot of adapters have been built for it and you are already invested in the system.

tino

Banned
BuyDig offers the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 20-Megapixel Digital Camera bundled with a Sony 32GB SDHC Card, model no. SF32NX/TQ, NP-BX1 Battery Pack, Vivitar TSC3 Camera Case, and Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11 for Mac/PC for $698. Coupon code "POP50" drops it to $648. With free shipping

Seem like an OK deal.

2real4tv

For a beginner it's completely pointless and it will lock you into a very expensive lens ecosystem. Have a serious think about what you really need and take a look at the prices of Nikon FX lenses. Your NEX is very versatile, but since you have the OG NEX-5 then maybe take a look at getting the NEX-6 or a Fuji XE-1. NEX is great for using older lenses since the E-Mount is completely open and a lot of adapters have been built for it and you are already invested in the system.

What wrong with the Nex 7 as I initially implied? I enjoy taking pics of people at gathering's and would like to pursue it as a money maker one day. Any good starter kits out there in terms of lighting and backdrops would like to set up a session for my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom