• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
If you'd like ti

o experiment with something probably cheaper Takumar's 85mm is well regarded vintage glass.

edit:
apparently not much cheaper but still loved

You really can't go cheaper than the Koreans.

I had a chance to get a decent copy for 175 on the bay but I missed it.

Darren870

I am looking to upgrade my camera equipment.

My GF has a Canon t1i (500D) and I have a Canon Powershot (old one) that has like 3 settings. When we travel she tends to bring hers and I leave mine at home since its pretty bad at pictures.

She has a wide angle lens also so she is constantly the one taking pictures.

So I am looking to upgrade my camera as I would like to actually take pictures on trips. I am looking for something a bit more compact then the t1i though. Looking for crisp images with a good amount of settings and features.

Any advice or thoughts?

Sigma 70mm EX DG 2.8 Macro lens used for 360 Canadian (includes a filter)

Guy says he doesn't know how old it is, but he thinks it is 5 years old with excellent optics

Anyone have an opinion on how lenses hold up after that long?

Sigma 70mm EX DG 2.8 Macro lens used for 360 Canadian (includes a filter)

Guy says he doesn't know how old it is, but he thinks it is 5 years old with excellent optics

Anyone have an opinion on how lenses hold up after that long?

I have a lens from the 60's. It's beautiful and is built like a beast

My GF has a Canon t1i (500D) and I have a Canon Powershot (old one) that has like 3 settings. When we travel she tends to bring hers and I leave mine at home since its pretty bad at pictures.

So I am looking to upgrade my camera as I would like to actually take pictures on trips. I am looking for something a bit more compact then the t1i though. Looking for crisp images with a good amount of settings and features.

Any advice or thoughts?

RX100. You really can't go wrong with it. Best compact camera, possibly ever. I have one and I take it everywhere with me.

Even their 2.8 zoom was not reliable. I had a Sigma 28-70/2.8 from the AFD era that had non align focus plate. Ridiculous. I have never seen other lens with this problem.

Also, loose rubbish ruber focus ring, another old Sigma problem.

The reviews I've read say that this lens is built very well, I'll see tomorrow if I go check it out

Any advice or thoughts?

The RX100 is a good choice if you want a zoom in a small (flat when off) package. You should also look at the NEX-5N/5R and NEX-6, and the X100 is worth a look, too, depending on your price range.

tino

Banned
Find fugus; see if the aperture ring is smooth; see if it focus correct at infinite, both left and right side; shoot at white wall or sky to see if it has even exposure, especially at the edges, etc.

RX100 comes with a lens and fits in your pocket. So happy with mine.

oh, no doubt. I could never get one now as I'm still recovering financially from getting the a65 with the 16-50SSM lens, so I'd much prefer to spend that money on more lenses (sold all my old gear).
For now I'm not too worried about dragging my a65 around with me, it's never really gotten in the way before.

I sold my Canon 60D and bought a Sony NEX-6. Loving it so far and happy with my decision. Happy to answer any questions about it if you guys have any.

Does anyone know if there are any good hand straps out there for the camera? Not a wrist strap but a strap that goes around the back of your hand. I'm sure it could work with the neck strap connector and then a connection to the mount on the bottom. I've seen them work that way but not sure if there is anything available for this camera.

8248268241_c6c070e74d.jpg

Am I doing it right?

I love the idea of the rx100 but cant help but notice it costs as much as my a65 =\

I don't have to lug it around in a special bag and carry a fast 28-35mm equiv lens.

My only wish for the RX110 is for Sony to make the lens faster at the longer zoom lengths and maybe have it 24mm equiv at the widest angle for more flexibility. My ideal lens would be 24-120 f1.6-4.0, however such a camera would likely cost a bomb.

I sold my Canon 60D and bought a Sony NEX-6. Loving it so far and happy with my decision. Happy to answer any questions about it if you guys have any.

Does anyone know if there are any good hand straps out there for the camera? Not a wrist strap but a strap that goes around the back of your hand. I'm sure it could work with the neck strap connector and then a connection to the mount on the bottom. I've seen them work that way but not sure if there is anything available for this camera.

Here's the strap I use on my 5N. At first I was worried it was a little too small (I have gorilla hands), but after the leather loosened up it's much easier to use. I usually still just slip my palm and 4 fingers through it as it gives me just as much support/security and it's much easier that way. Here's a picture of my camera from the last page where you can sorta see it. I can take a better picture later if you'd like.

http://i.imgur.com/Vpbcs.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARIZ-XS-WS...X1-/261005667251?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Danoss

Any tips for macro photography? I'm playing around with the new lens

My advice would be the following:
  • Don't try to autofocus, it's nigh useless for macro photography
  • Set the focus manually and physically move the camera forward and back
  • Flash is important, since to obtain a decent depth of field you will be stopping down to f/8 and above most times, in an often limited light situation
Focusing consistently takes practice, and even when you become good at it you will still have a lot of misses, especially at higher magnifications.

Here's the setup I have for when I do macro, which is much less often these days.

18FS0.jpg

This is a Hakuba LH-1 (ebay special) flash bracket which has a ballhead on top allowing me to swivel the flash into position. I use a Flash Zebra ETTL cable to allow me to use the flash off-camera and retain ETTL capability, which is very handy for macro photography. The flash is the Canon 430EX, but if you don't use Canon that's not much help, however any decent flash with a swivel head and ETTL/iTTL capability with you camera is fine; while cheap manual flashes like Yong Nuo are excellent, the lack of ETTL/iTTL capability is another unnecessary hurdle for already challenging photography. Lastly, the diffuser is a DIY job using a few soft drink cans, gaffers tape and towelling paper. Lumiquest sell one that does the same thing, but this works just fine.

You obviously don't have to use or buy the above right away, especially if you don't already have a speedlite to use or aren't very serious about it. There are plenty of DIY flash efforts out there, which Google will help you out with.

Darren870

So was looking at the sony NEX5RK today. Need a light weight fairly portable camera.

What is everyone's thoughts on this one? I know some people said the RX100 was nice.

Hey, I was thinking of picking up a digital SLR before the New Year. My phone camera is slowly getting worse and just doesn't cut it, plus I've been impressed with the results of my friends SLR camera's.

So, what budget cameras are good to start with? I've looked around in some shops (Australian here) and they all start at about $500, so I'm thinking I might go second hand.

Grym

I'm looking to purchase a secondary underwater point & shoot camera mostly for use a couple times a year for family vacations and similar things - hiking, snorkeling, time at the beach, and things like that. I've shopped around a bit for underwater, rugged point & shoot cameras and think that the vast majority seem to be pretty underwhelming.

In the end, I've kinda come to the decision that my best choice is this Olympus TG-1iHS for a number of reasons - a decent lens for a point & shoot (f2.0), better lens position than most similar cameras (not in the upper corner where my finger will cover it up while swimming), potential for adding a lens adapter and fisheye or telephoto lens.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00803WNOK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.adorama.com/IOMTG1.html

01_tough_front.jpg
02_tough_back.jpg

Anyway, before pulling the trigger on this, I just wanted to know if anyone has better recommendations for this type of camera? Or has anyone used this camera and would advise me not to buy it for whatever reason? Or does anyone know of a similar camera being released in the next few months that I should wait for instead of going ahead with this one?

So was looking at the sony NEX5RK today. Need a light weight fairly portable camera.

What is everyone's thoughts on this one? I know some people said the RX100 was nice.

If you think you'll be using different lenses on the 5R than just the kit lens over time, then go with it. Otherwise you'd probably be better off with the RX100.

Bollocks

A new player joined the game, bought a Canon 60D.
Well, I'm not really new to the game, I've used to work with DSLR's during my university course but I've never had one of my own, until now :)

East Lake

I'm looking to purchase a secondary underwater point & shoot camera mostly for use a couple times a year for family vacations and similar things - hiking, snorkeling, time at the beach, and things like that. I've shopped around a bit for underwater, rugged point & shoot cameras and think that the vast majority seem to be pretty underwhelming.

In the end, I've kinda come to the decision that my best choice is this Olympus TG-1iHS for a number of reasons - a decent lens for a point & shoot (f2.0), better lens position than most similar cameras (not in the upper corner where my finger will cover it up while swimming), potential for adding a lens adapter and fisheye or telephoto lens.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00803WNOK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.adorama.com/IOMTG1.html

01_tough_front.jpg
02_tough_back.jpg

Anyway, before pulling the trigger on this, I just wanted to know if anyone has better recommendations for this type of camera? Or has anyone used this camera and would advise me not to buy it for whatever reason? Or does anyone know of a similar camera being released in the next few months that I should wait for instead of going ahead with this one?
I know Canon and probably a few other brands make relatively cheap underwater housings for their point and shoots, so that might be worth considering but maybe not practical for an all around camera. I wouldn't mind buying one of these waterproof cameras either but so far they refuse to put raw support in any of them for some reason.

nbcjr

Are there any rumours of a rx100 successor or equivalent from other brands coming? I want a camera like the rx100, but if there's another one coming i'll wait.

tino

Banned
Are there any rumours of a rx100 successor or equivalent from other brands coming? I want a camera like the rx100, but if there's another one coming i'll wait.

You would have to wait at lease half a year. Unless Canon feel the need to compete with Sony, or Sony decide to sell the 20mp sensor to one of its colleagues.

Grym

I know Canon and probably a few other brands make relatively cheap underwater housings for their point and shoots, so that might be worth considering but maybe not practical for an all around camera. I wouldn't mind buying one of these waterproof cameras either but so far they refuse to put raw support in any of them for some reason.

That's actually a really good suggestion. I haven't really looked into housing options/costs at all. I know when I bought my previous one many many years ago (which this purchase will be replacing) it was extraordinarily expensive so I haven't even considered it with the tech leaps in all-around 'rugged' models. I will look into it.

Yeah, I just don't understand the lack of raw support

East Lake

That's actually a really good suggestion. I haven't really looked into housing options/costs at all. I know when I bought my previous one many many years ago (which this purchase will be replacing) it was extraordinarily expensive so I haven't even considered it with the tech leaps in all-around 'rugged' models. I will look into it.

Yeah, I just don't understand the lack of raw support

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OAZCJ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This plus s100 was what I was thinking. s100 is 250 on amazon now so it ends up being probably 130 bucks more than the Olympus. A little more but not the hilarious pricing of some underwater setups.

tch

I have a Sony a580 and want to shoot in Raw, is 45 MB/s fast enough or is it worth it to go for a 95 MB/s SD card? Thanks

Iacobellis

Hey, I was thinking of picking up a digital SLR before the New Year. My phone camera is slowly getting worse and just doesn't cut it, plus I've been impressed with the results of my friends SLR camera's.

So, what budget cameras are good to start with? I've looked around in some shops (Australian here) and they all start at about $500, so I'm thinking I might go second hand.

Depending on your budget, Nikon offers the D3100 and the newer D3200. I'm not too familiar with Canon, but a lot of the people I know who shoot with a Canon own a T3.

(._.)

Banned
Hey guys, need help. I'm really starting ti get serious about photography and I'm thinking of buying a decent DSLR camera with money I've saved + Christmas cash. Heard good things about the Nikon D5000 as a decent starter professional camera. What are your guys thoughts on this? Also I have access to a a ton of super expensive Nikon lenses from my dad. Thing is they are for older professional Nikon film cameras. I'm guessing I can still mount them onto a DSLR body and it shouldn't make a difference? Would save me a ton of cash. Any help appreciated.

Hey guys, need help. I'm really starting ti get serious about photography and I'm thinking of buying a decent DSLR camera with money I've saved + Christmas cash. Heard good things about the Nikon D5000 as a decent starter professional camera. What are your guys thoughts on this? Also I have access to a a ton of super expensive Nikon lenses from my dad. Thing is they are for older professional Nikon film cameras. I'm guessing I can still mount them onto a DSLR body and it shouldn't make a difference? Would save me a ton of cash. Any help appreciated.

They'll mount, but the D5000 wont be able to autofocus with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom