• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Hey guys, need help. I'm really starting ti get serious about photography and I'm thinking of buying a decent DSLR camera with money I've saved + Christmas cash. Heard good things about the Nikon D5000 as a decent starter professional camera. What are your guys thoughts on this? Also I have access to a a ton of super expensive Nikon lenses from my dad. Thing is they are for older professional Nikon film cameras. I'm guessing I can still mount them onto a DSLR body and it shouldn't make a difference? Would save me a ton of cash. Any help appreciated.

You need D200, D300, D300s or D7000 if you want to use these lenses.

You can get by without metering and aperture priority, but you have to learn sunny 16 and chimp (review histogram of last image!).

You will want AF lenses for some things though.

tino

Banned
You can get by without metering and aperture priority, but you have to learn sunny 16 and chimp (review histogram of last image!).

You will want AF lenses for some things though.

Really? I think manual focus with a AF-D lens is alot easier than guesstimate the expoaure value.

Anyway just get an used d300 to avoid the trouble. Its around 500.

I bought three old AI-S lenses and used them with my D50 and then D90. I almost never used them for time-sensitive photos though.

They are really wonderful on the D600, though.

I don't disagree with your D300 suggestion though.

(._.)

Banned
You need D200, D300, D300s or D7000 if you want to use these lenses.

Would you recommend the D7000? Is buying used/refurbished a good idea? I'm ok with spending a little bit extra, can't complain. I'd be saving so much money using some of these older lenses that cost like $400+ new each.

tino

Banned
Would you recommend the D7000? Is buying used/refurbished a good idea? I'm ok with spending a little bit extra, can't complain. I'd be saving so much money using some of these older lenses that cost like $400+ new each.

D7000 is getting discontinued soon and you can get a refub for under 800. So yes I consider now its a good time to buy D7000. Do I think its worth $300 more than a used D300? Yes I think so.

I doubt the old lens worth that much. What are those lenses?

(._.)

Banned
D7000 is getting discontinued soon and you can get a refub for under 800. So yes I consider now its a good time to buy D7000. Do I think its worth $300 more than a used D300? Yes I think so.

I doubt the old lens worth that much. What are those lenses?

You're probably right. I was talking to my dad and he said he spent well over $400 on several of them back in the late 80s early 90s. I'll post what their specs are when I get them which is soon.

Why do older lenses drop in value if they can still function really well? What are in newer lenses that keeps them so expensive?

Also are there any books you'd recommend on learning about digital camera equipment?

tino

Banned
You're probably right. I was talking to my dad and he said he spent well over $400 on several of them back in the late 80s early 90s. I'll post what their specs are when I get them which is soon.

Why do older lenses drop in value if they can still function really well? What are in newer lenses that keeps them so expensive?

Also are there any books you'd recommend on learning about digital camera equipment?

Only zoom lens drop in price. Fixed lens depreciate very slowly, if at all. If you have a pro class lens, it will retain its value very well.

Old lenses only drop in value when newer bodies become less compatible with them. Some 50-year-old Leica lenses are currently on the rise in value, because there's a shortage of new lenses and the old lenses work just fine on new bodies. The rises of mirrorless cameras has caused prices on manual focus glass to rise sharply. MSRP on new lenses released in the past couple of years has risen, at least in part due to exchange rates.

Kraftwerk

What do you guys think about camera bundles?

I'm in the market for a Nikon. My budget in total is $1500. I was just browsing buy.com and thought to check the cameras page.

For example:

http://www.buy.com/sr/searchresults.aspx?loc=33409&sid=48&qu=d7000&tcid=3276&suggest=1

That's what I got after searching for D7000. I see tons of bundles, most of which are heavily discounted. Are these not worth it? Are the lenses, and accessories provided terrible, therefore the low prices?

East Lake

I guess my take on the bundles would be to ask what use are you going to get out of those accessories? I can't speak in depth about the merits of each item but if you think photography is going to be a long term hobby then you'll probably end up replacing most of the items there. The zoom lenses cover a decent range but they're not fast, and won't give you the depth of field options or low light capability you may want. The 50mm is fine but it also has a fairly narrow field of view (because of the APS-C sensor) that might leave you frustrated indoors or in another place you want a wider angle of view. The tripod looks like it might break if you look at it the wrong way and you'll certainly replace it if you plan to use a tripod even occasionally.

I bought a d7000 a few months ago and I bought the body, 35mm f/1.8g, and a 16 gb class 10 memory card to start.

tldr; the kit might be a deal if you have a use for the stuff, and even then you might end up reselling the individual parts when you know what you really want.

Kraftwerk

I guess my take on the bundles would be to ask what use are you going to get out of those accessories? I can't speak in depth about the merits of each item but if you think photography is going to be a long term hobby then you'll probably end up replacing most of the items there. The zoom lenses cover a decent range but they're not fast, and won't give you the depth of field options or low light capability you may want. The 50mm is fine but it also has a fairly narrow field of view (because of the APS-C sensor) that might leave you frustrated indoors or in another place you want a wider angle of view. The tripod looks like it might break if you look at it the wrong way and you'll certainly replace it if you plan to use a tripod even occasionally.

I bought a d7000 a few months ago and I bought the body, 35mm f/1.8g, and a 16 gb class 10 memory card to start.

tldr; the kit might be a deal if you have a use for the stuff, and even then you might end up reselling the individual parts when you know what you really want.

I see. Thank you for the reply.

What lens do you guys recommend?

Again, my budget is $1500. I guess I'm looking for a body between $500-$900 and the rest will go for the lens and memory card.

My first real camera. I'm pretty set on a Nikon, just don't know which one yet. I'm still really confused as to wat I loose going between 3000, 5100 and 7000. I'm not even sure If I even need the 7000 as a beginner.

jet1911

What would be the best macro lens quality/price wise for a canon DSLR? I just need a macro lens, a flash and a tripod and I'll be pretty much set for my camera equipement needs. :p

RayStorm

My first real camera. I'm pretty set on a Nikon, just don't know which one yet. I'm still really confused as to wat I loose going between 3000, 5100 and 7000. I'm not even sure If I even need the 7000 as a beginner.

The biggest advantage of the D7000, which I noticed once I started shopping for lenses for my D5000: the inbuilt AF-motor of the D7000. That opens up a much bigger variety of lenses.

Speaking of which: Depending on what you plan on photographing there might be different suggestions on what lenses to get.

Another minor advantage of the D7000 to me is slightly better low light performance.

Kraftwerk

The biggest advantage of the D7000, which I noticed once I started shopping for lenses for my D5000: the inbuilt AF-motor of the D7000. That opens up a much bigger variety of lenses.

Speaking of which: Depending on what you plan on photographing there might be different suggestions on what lenses to get.

Another minor advantage of the D7000 to me is slightly better low light performance.

I mainly want to shoot landscape pictures. I'm planning on going on some hiking trips next year, so l'll be taking lots of nature photos. mountains, forests etc.

Kraftwerk

What lens would you guys recommend for a Canon 60D?

I found a great deal on a brand new 60D body; $700 ( no tax)

As I stated above, I'm going on some hiking trips next year, I want to take a lot of pictures there. Other than that, I will be in the city and taking pictures of..well; everything.

Iacobellis

How is the 35mm 1.8G on a D3100? I already have a 50 1.8D, but no AF and the 1.5x crop factor are killing me. AF and ~50mm would be so much better for me, but I'm not sure if it would be worth my $200.

After getting a the sony rx100, it sparked my interest in photography, which can be another hobby...instead of wasting my money on smartphones.

I've been drooling over the Sony RX1 but I don't think I'm capable on using its full potential.

My brother already have a Nex 7 and a nikon D90 with a few lenses...so I don't want to get something simillar

so far I'm liking a hacked lumix GH2 or GH3 is that OK for a beginner?

I'm a total newbie BTW.

tino

Banned
The IQ and size of RX100 are pretty close to m4/3 cameras. They are basically fighting for the same market. You might want something with bigger sensor, a SLR or mirrorless with an APS-C size sensor.

Damaged

How is the 35mm 1.8G on a D3100? I already have a 50 1.8D, but no AF and the 1.5x crop factor are killing me. AF and ~50mm would be so much better for me, but I'm not sure if it would be worth my $200.

Love the 35mm 1.8 and it is a great walkabout lens on a D3100, I'd definitely recommend it unless you are looking at going full frame in the near future as it is a dx lens if I remember rightly.

nick nacc

Banned

I am about to pull the trigger on a d7000 and a 50 or 35 mm 1.8. How much did you get your lense for an dude I am soo stoked I have played with a friends 7000 and I looooved it. Would you recommend it also? Would you recommend me spending more and going full frame?

The IQ and size of RX100 are pretty close to m4/3 cameras. They are basically fighting for the same market. You might want something with bigger sensor, a SLR or mirrorless with an APS-C size sensor.

Ill have to completely disagree with this. The GF and Pen Mini series might be fighting for the same dollars, but the GH and OmD cameras are significantly more advanced with weather sealing, viewfinders, AF speed, IMage Stabilization, video options, etc. Micro 4/3 sensors also have twice the surface area of the 1" Rx100 sensors and the system still has by far the best mirrorless lens lineup.

The RX100 lens is also slow as a dog on the long end while micro 4/3 has a number of compact fast primes.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Can anyone recommend me a tripod for under $500?

I'm very happy with the Manfrotto 055XPROB. Good sturdy set of legs and enough left over for a good head on it. Not the most portable though - I wouldn't take it hiking.

Think I'm going to settle with a Canon EOS D600 as my first camera, seems to having everything and then some.

It's a good bit of kit, and you won't outgrow it any time soon. Just make sure you take time to experiment with it and work out how to use it to good effect - set yourself challenges (thick mist is a doozy).

After getting a the sony rx100, it sparked my interest in photography, which can be another hobby...instead of wasting my money on smartphones.

I've been drooling over the Sony RX1 but I don't think I'm capable on using its full potential.

My brother already have a Nex 7 and a nikon D90 with a few lenses...so I don't want to get something simillar

so far I'm liking a hacked lumix GH2 or GH3 is that OK for a beginner?

I'm a total newbie BTW.

Take a look at the NEX F3 or 5N, that way you can borrow your brother's lenses rather than investing in a second ecosystem and overlapping. I ended up going with the NEX 6 for the same reason, I can share lenses with my brother in law who has a an NEX 5. Don't forget that the camera body is likely going to be one of the smaller expenses for MILCs so don't make your decision based on cheapness of the body. NEX also gives you the ability to use old lenses (as long as you don't mind manual focus) with cheap Chinese adapters off eBay because E-Mount is an open standard.

Don't get the RX1, it is too advanced, and you will feel ripped off in the end. It's a great camera no doubt, but it is not in the beginners category. Maybe once you advance in skill and interest you can take a second look at it, but for now it would be a waste of money at $3000.

Iacobellis

Love the 35mm 1.8 and it is a great walkabout lens on a D3100, I'd definitely recommend it unless you are looking at going full frame in the near future as it is a dx lens if I remember rightly.

Full Frame is definitely out of the question for me. This is more of hobby for me, and any likely upgrade in the future would be to a D7000 series body.

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at sample images on Flickr as well to help with my decision.

I just bought the 7000. My second Nikon (first was D50) I adore it so far.

I am about to pull the trigger on a d7000 and a 50 or 35 mm 1.8. How much did you get your lense for an dude I am soo stoked I have played with a friends 7000 and I looooved it. Would you recommend it also? Would you recommend me spending more and going full frame?

Get the 35mm, I have the 35mm 1.8G and the 50mm 1.8D and my 35 rarely leaves my 7000.

East Lake

For the full frame thing, I dunno. It depends on your situation. If you only focus on the difference in the sensor I don't think full frame is worth the price hike over the D7000. There's other things to consider like camera feature sets, image character, or lens field of view but full-frame is only going to get cheaper as time passes. If you think you might want to upgrade later you can always buy lenses that you think will be useful on both sensor sizes. The 35 f/1.8g isn't one of theose but it's cheap enough (in photo dollars) for it not to matter. I bought it new for $196. Great lens for the money I'm pretty much in the same position as snkfanatic where it's my main lens. 35 is a lot more versatile than 50 on a crop sensor.

Flo_Evans

The D7000 is ALOT more camera than the 3000 or 5000 series.

The D3000 doesn't even have auto-bracketing. No built in intervalometer. Low res LCD, crap viewfinder, crap focusing points.

D7000 is a much more rugged weather sealed body.

Damaged

Full Frame is definitely out of the question for me. This is more of hobby for me, and any likely upgrade in the future would be to a D7000 series body.

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at sample images on Flickr as well to help with my decision.

In that case I would definitely say get the 35mm, I upgraded my D3100 to the D7000 ad the lens is great on both. The two shots below were taken on my old my old D3100 and the 35mm dx just to give you an idea

Another vote for the 35mm here, 50mm is just too close for an everyday lens on an APS-C body. Personally Full frame just doesnt warrant the cost for my level of skill or what I use my camera for. The D7000 is a hell of a piece of kit and you can get some really good results with it.

Iacobellis

In that case I would definitely say get the 35mm, I upgraded my D3100 to the D7000 ad the lens is great on both. The two shots below were taken on my old my old D3100 and the 35mm dx just to give you an idea

Another vote for the 35mm here, 50mm is just too close for an everyday lens on an APS-C body. Personally Full frame just doesnt warrant the cost for my level of skill or what I use my camera for. The D7000 is a hell of a piece of kit and you can get some really good results with it.

Wow, thanks for sharing these! Really sharp. I'll definitely get one after the holidays.

tino

Banned
Thanks guys! So what lenses will work on both crop sensor and full frame? I guess I can future proof my lenses at least

If you are on Nikon, I don't see the financial benefit in "future proofing" yourself. Its not going to save you money if and when you upgrade to FF system.

Im thinking NEX 6 ....but it might be to similar to my brothers NEX 7

Ill have to completely disagree with this. The GF and Pen Mini series might be fighting for the same dollars, but the GH and OmD cameras are significantly more advanced with weather sealing, viewfinders, AF speed, IMage Stabilization, video options, etc. Micro 4/3 sensors also have twice the surface area of the 1" Rx100 sensors and the system still has by far the best mirrorless lens lineup.

The RX100 lens is also slow as a dog on the long end while micro 4/3 has a number of compact fast primes.

Any recommendation?

Take a look at the NEX F3 or 5N, that way you can borrow your brother's lenses rather than investing in a second ecosystem and overlapping. I ended up going with the NEX 6 for the same reason, I can share lenses with my brother in law who has a an NEX 5. Don't forget that the camera body is likely going to be one of the smaller expenses for MILCs so don't make your decision based on cheapness of the body. NEX also gives you the ability to use old lenses (as long as you don't mind manual focus) with cheap Chinese adapters off eBay because E-Mount is an open standard.

Don't get the RX1, it is too advanced, and you will feel ripped off in the end. It's a great camera no doubt, but it is not in the beginners category. Maybe once you advance in skill and interest you can take a second look at it, but for now it would be a waste of money at $3000.

I heard alot of good things about a hacked GH2 or GH3 especially for videos. Any opinion on those?

cevansdust

Neo Member
I've currently been looking for a Nex C3 because I figured I could find on on clearance somewhere. I was sadly mistaken about that. I managed to track down a used one that had some dings in it but they wanted $500 for the body only at Best Buy. I don't really like buying used on ebay. Anyone know of any websites or stores? Would love the Nex F3 but its just outside of my price range. This is for hobbies and filming for our startup production company.

tino

Banned
This news is for Evilore

The online f11 magazine published a review of the Fuji X-E1 which included also a statement that the Fuji X200 will have X-Tran sensor and will be released in early 2013 (probably during the CES show in January or the CP+ show in February). As noted by Fujirumors, the author of the article Tony Bridge is sponsored by Fujifilm, which gives even more credibility to this rumor (maybe he is currently testing the X200). The Fuji X100 was announced during the 2010 Photokina show and has already been listed as discontinued by some retailers. The X100 is still listed for its original price of $1200, which is unusual. The price of the black limited edition is currently $1399. Expect those price to drop in the next month.

I may be picking up a D600 tomorrow. Any owners here? I am concerned about the oil/dust problem.

Alsois there another camera in the price range of the D600 that you'd recommend over it? Glass isnt an issue as this will be my first camera and will be picking up lenses in the future for whichever camera i pick up.

I'm very happy with the Manfrotto 055XPROB. Good sturdy set of legs and enough left over for a good head on it. Not the most portable though - I wouldn't take it hiking.

Good to hear, I was actually already looking at the carbon fiber version of that since I go hiking a lot. The Vanguard Pro 83CT was the other tripod I was eyeballing - can anyone chime in on the strengths/weaknesses of the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom