• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Good to hear, I was actually already looking at the carbon fiber version of that since I go hiking a lot. The Vanguard Pro 83CT was the other tripod I was eyeballing - can anyone chime in on the strengths/weaknesses of the two?

Sorry mate, I'm going to go all Ken Rockwell on you. Unless you want to do landscapes at night what do want a tripod for, eh? I use mine mostly for studio stuff and occasionally for long nighttime architecture shots, but up on the moors there's no need with modern cameras.

You might not need one at all.

Iacobellis

I may be picking up a D600 tomorrow. Any owners here? I am concerned about the oil/dust problem.

Alsois there another camera in the price range of the D600 that you'd recommend over it? Glass isnt an issue as this will be my first camera and will be picking up lenses in the future for whichever camera i pick up.

This deal may make you want to stay with the D600.

Damaged

Sorry mate, I'm going to go all Ken Rockwell on you. Unless you want to do landscapes at night what do want a tripod for, eh? I use mine mostly for studio stuff and occasionally for long nighttime architecture shots, but up on the moors there's no need with modern cameras.

I carry a cheap hama tripod (this one, www.hama.co.uk/004213/hama-traveller-mini-pro-tripod-black ) out walking for long exposure shots so they aren't entirely useless

negitoro7

Just picked up the 25mm PanaLeica f1.4 lens yesterday for my recently purchased Panasonic GH3. Still need to purchase the 7-14mm next, and then save my pennies for the 35-100mm f2.8. Anyone else here a GH3 owner?

D600 is pretty much the best bang for your buck on a new camera. You could go for a like-new 5D mkII if you want to pay a bit less (~$1600 from KEH).

Surely Nikon is fixing any teething problems with the D600 under warranty?

I picked up a 4 year warranty for about $100 at Huppins that includes accidental damage as well. Can't wait to start messing with this puppy.

Macro and long-time exposure. And wildlife shots (birds and stuff). I tried without a tripod and I need one very much.

LegoDad

So is the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens really the be all everyone keeps claiming? After playing with the lenses on the kit I got on the T3i, something for portraits and works in low lighting and is a little sharper would be nice.

So is the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens really the be all everyone keeps claiming? After playing with the lenses on the kit I got on the T3i, something for portraits and works in low lighting and is a little sharper would be nice.

It's a great lens and cheap enough that everyone with a Canon slr might as well own one. It's not the best lens ever or anything though. It is much better for portraits than your kit lens, and shooting with a prime will help you learn photography.

LegoDad

It's a great lens and cheap enough that everyone with a Canon slr might as well own one. It's not the best lens ever or anything though. It is much better for portraits than your kit lens, and shooting with a prime will help you learn photography.

Thanks, I know photography pretty well, just never had a DSLR, but when taking pictures I saw the limitations on the kit lens and zoom lenses. Though moving up to better lenses is alot of money and probably will take time to get into.

Kraftwerk

O.K

I'm going to buy a camera this thursday.

Here is the combo that I have picked so far;

Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 Pro DX IF Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon $699.95

5LyOI.jpg

Nikon D7000 Body $849.95

PNmv3.jpg

- This is my first DSLR.

- I am going to be taking shots around the city ( buildings, skyscrapers etc ) and landscape/nature photos.

Let me know if it is the wrong lens, or If I should buy something more all-round.

Thanks, I know photography pretty well, just never had a DSLR, but when taking pictures I saw the limitations on the kit lens and zoom lenses. Though moving up to better lenses is alot of money and probably will take time to get into.

I'll keep spouting it but I recommend this over the Canon. Better build quality, image quality comparable to L lenses and the price is in that range. The only problem is the use of manual focus but really, that ends up being an amazing learning tool as well.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4-Early.html

Magni

O.K

- This is my first DSLR.

- I am going to be taking shots around the city ( buildings, skyscrapers etc ) and landscape/nature photos.

Let me know if it is the wrong lens, or If I should buy something more all-round.

An 11-16 should be fine for building shots (though where it excels is indoors I'd say) and outdoor landscapes (but you will end up with a lot of sky or foreground), but I don't know if I'd go with it as my only lens. The standard kit lens is 18-55, and with the lens you're looking at you wouldn't be able to zoom as far as that lens at it's widest.

edit: If by nature you're also thinking about doing any wildlife photography you will need another lens.

Kraftwerk

An 11-16 should be fine for building shots (though where it excels is indoors I'd say) and outdoor landscapes (but you will end up with a lot of sky or foreground), but I don't know if I'd go with it as my only lens. The standard kit lens is 18-55, and with the lens you're looking at you wouldn't be able to zoom as far as that lens at it's widest.

edit: If by nature you're also thinking about doing any wildlife photography you will need another lens.

I see.

Hmm, then what lens would you recommend around the 400-700 price range.

Magni

I see.

I'm a Pentax shooter, so I don't know Nikon lenses that well, but what I'd do in your place is get the D7000 kit with the 18-105 (my brother has that for his D3100 and seems to like it well enough) for an extra $300 (instead of $400 if you don't get it as part of a kit), and then spend the remaining $400 of your budget on a more specialized lens.

edit: this Sigma for example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007U00XK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (max aperture is F4 compared to F2.8 for the Tokina you were looking at though).

edit 2: since you mentioned this was your first DSLR purchase, make sure you buy clear filters for your lens(es). It'll add a bit to the final bill, but you'd much rather scratch a filter than a lens.

LegoDad

tino

Banned
O.K

- This is my first DSLR.

Make sure you either buy the version I for 499 or the version II for 699

I don't think there is much difference between the 2 versions.

You will be fine with the 116. If you want to pawn it in the future to fund a different lens, you won't lose any money, if at all.

If you like the Tokina you can check out its sibling 2.8 lens, the 16-50/2.8. The build quality is pretty good but its not a internal zoom (the lens extends during zooming). The Nikon 17-55 is the gold standard, but its probably out of your budget. There are actually a sea of old and new options with the D7000.

nitewulf

O.K

- This is my first DSLR.

very wrong lens for a beginner. get a normal zoom. for wide shots/architectural stuff it will be fine, but you will miss out on plenty of portraits, interesting objects. not recommended.

I see this is your first camera. I appreciate why you want a case. :)

I just find a bag feels too much like an imposition. Bulkier to carry, in the way when shooting. I've been using my bag again these last few weeks because I've been doing shoots at work with my D600, three prime lenses and a strobe. Still hate it.

Nice first camera, by the way. I have a small spot that may be a dust/oil problem on mine. Will send it off to be cleaned after another thousand shots, probably. Still think it's an amazing camera, have had mine since they were available.

I see this is your first camera. I appreciate why you want a case. :)

I just find a bag feels too much like an imposition. Bulkier to carry, in the way when shooting. I've been using my bag again these last few weeks because I've been doing shoots at work with my D600, three prime lenses and a strobe. Still hate it.

Nice first camera, by the way. I have a small spot that may be a dust/oil problem on mine. Will send it off to be cleaned after another thousand shots, probably. Still think it's an amazing camera, have had mine since they were available.

Thank you! I also picked up 4 year extended warranty fro Huppins for about $100 which includes accidental damage. I was surprised by how light it was. Any tips for a first time DSLR owner?

RayStorm

very wrong lens for a beginner. get a normal zoom. for wide shots/architectural stuff it will be fine, but you will miss out on plenty of portraits, interesting objects. not recommended.

I disagree with your harsh wording.

Just talking from personal experience with my main uses being "running around the city and taking pictures of buildings, photographing insider and in small spaces", a normal zoom won't be cutting it. The kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200 I got with my D5000 never really gave me the feeling of being able to do what I wanted.

On the other hand, since I got my Tamron 10-24 aside from low light situations is my go to choice.

Sounds amazing, but finding the 8 element version for a good price is going to be very hard. I manual focus all the time.

yeah, but the 7 element and smc version are more common and the clarity is negligible. I just discovered these myself and have built quite the little vintage lens library so I'm partial to them right now. It just seems like what you could get from the Canon 1.8 isn't worth the price when such stellar glass is available somewhat abundantly.

Damaged

O.K

- This is my first DSLR.

Its a good lens but take a look at the sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 ex dc, its a little less sharp and not as high f stop but it does give you a wider range of zoom making it a little more versatile. I tried both on holiday in Tokyo and ended up buying the sigma.

I took this today with the sigma on a D7000 if you want an idea what the lens is like

Edit: just saw MagniHarvald mentioned that lens as well.

Make sure you either buy the version I for 499 or the version II for 699

I don't think there is much difference between the 2 versions.

You will be fine with the 116. If you want to pawn it in the future to fund a different lens, you won't lose any money, if at all.

If you like the Tokina you can check out its sibling 2.8 lens, the 16-50/2.8. The build quality is pretty good but its not a internal zoom (the lens extends during zooming). The Nikon 17-55 is the gold standard, but its probably out of your budget. There are actually a sea of old and new options with the D7000.

I've heard allot of people having problems with the I version not auto focusing on a D7000 so I would go for the II option which supposedly fixed it.

I see.

Id pick up the 35mm DX 1.8f Nikkor lens as a good walkabout lens for when your wide angle is too much

Any tips for a first time DSLR owner?

Adjust the diopter for your shooting eye (tap the shutter release to get the green LEDs to come up in the viewfinder, adjust diopter to make them sharp).

Leave any particular custom setting alone until you know what it does. The defaults are sensible.

Read the manual. If you know ahead of time, research the kind of shooting you're about to embark on (sports, flowers, portraits, creeping-in-the-park, etc).

Throw away bad pictures. Delete obviously terrible images from the camera so they never waste time importing or your consideration there.

If you have the software (you probably don't), shoot RAW. I'd shoot RAW+JPEG till you get a handle on RAW conversions.

Mostly just shoot.

i dont want your camera.
my 5dm2 shits on your d600

But at least you're nice about it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Adjust the diopter for your shooting eye (tap the shutter release to get the green LEDs to come up in the viewfinder, adjust diopter to make them sharp).

Leave any particular custom setting alone until you know what it does. The defaults are sensible.

Read the manual. If you know ahead of time, research the kind of shooting you're about to embark on (sports, flowers, portraits, creeping-in-the-park, etc).

Throw away bad pictures. Delete obviously terrible images from the camera so they never waste time importing or your consideration there.

If you have the software (you probably don't), shoot RAW. I'd shoot RAW+JPEG till you get a handle on RAW conversions.

Mostly just shoot.

Good advice. I'd only add (since you're new) pay attention to what you can see in the viewfinder and understand what all those numbers mean - know what you are shooting before you shoot it. It's not hard, but it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

Kraftwerk

Its a good lens but take a look at the sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 ex dc, its a little less sharp and not as high f stop but it does give you a wider range of zoom making it a little more versatile. I tried both on holiday in Tokyo and ended up buying the sigma.

I took this today with the sigma on a D7000 if you want an idea what the lens is like

Edit: just saw MagniHarvald mentioned that lens as well.

I've heard allot of people having problems with the I version not auto focusing on a D7000 so I would go for the II option which supposedly fixed it.

Id pick up the 35mm DX 1.8f Nikkor lens as a good walkabout lens for when your wide angle is too much

O.K. After reading your post, and advice from others in this thread, I will just go with this setup;

Nikon D7000 w/ AF-S 18-105mm VR

LhC5P.jpg

Will cost me $1000. My trip is next summer, so I will just experiment with this lens and save money until then for a really good specialized lens or two.

So excited!

nitewulf

I disagree with your harsh wording.

On the other hand, since I got my Tamron 10-24 aside from low light situations is my go to choice.

that came out as harsh?

anyway, wouldn't internal architectural shots be considered low light situation anyway? i get that you would need a wide zoom for building shots, but you would miss out on street scenes. but whatever, its you guys' money.

Iacobellis

O.K. After reading your post, and advice from others in this thread, I will just go with this setup;

Nikon D7000 w/ AF-S 18-105mm VR

LhC5P.jpg

Will cost me $1000. My trip is next summer, so I will just experiment with this lens and save money until then for a really good specialized lens or two.

So excited!

Lucky for you, you could get a cheaper lens later on like the 50 1.8D and still have autofocusing capabilities. It's not as sharp as the 1.8G, but it's almost $100 cheaper.

?

I'm looking for a good compact camera to travel and take nice pictures with.

The RX100 and X100 are in two different categories, despite the similar names. The X100 has a fixed 35mm focal length lens, an aps-c sized sensor, and a hybrid electronic/optical viewfinder. The Sony has a fixed zoom (28-100mm) lens, a 1" sensor which is the largest in its class but smaller than the X100's, and no viewfinder or hotshoe to attach an external viewfinder or other accessories.

If you wanted to keep it within Fujifilm, the closest competitor to the RX100 would be the X10 or XF1. The X10 has the same retro styling as the X100 but with a zoom lens and smaller sensor. The XF1 has the same sensor as the X10 but no optical viewfinder or hotshoe. There are other differences but those are the major ones that I can recall. At any rate, I don't own or have tried any of them so can't recommend one over the other.

X10 said:

XF1 said:

IceCold

They don't compete with each other. If you have to ask this question, get the RX100.

Your most probably right. I don't know much about photography but want to learn a bit and get myself a nice camera for when I travel. I'm tired of using crappy cameras.

Kraftwerk

So I finally got my first DSLR;

Nikon D7000

I had been set on the D7000 from my online research, articles, videos, reviews etc..you name it.

Went to the store earlier with a good friend. The manager was a good friend of my buddy who came along with me. He let me play around with the D7000 and the 60D for a good hour. I went into the menus, took tons of picture, videos. Walked around with it, really focused on how the grip felt, dials, buttons.

Basically had sex with both cameras.

THe D7000 .....just felt right. The grip was so much better for me. The right weight, body, feel and everything. Again; it felt just right.

I have been playing around with the D7000 in my room for the past 2 hours now, incredibly happy with the purchase and looking forward to my foray into photography.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice in this thread :D

p.s got a great deal too since my friend is a really close friend of the manager:

Camera+ 18-105 lens + bag + 32 gb class 10 card + extended warranty for $999! BAM!

Your most probably right. I don't know much about photography but want to learn a bit and get myself a nice camera for when I travel. I'm tired of using crappy cameras.

Get the RX100, it is a good camera to grow into photography with as it offers advanced controls and features, while also offering a nice beginner experience when you are starting out.

It is also great to crop with and still get high quality prints because of the 22MP sensor.

centracore

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6? The only lens I currently have for my D7000 is the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 so I'm looking to get a decent telephoto / zoom lens without breaking the bank. My initial research says this is the one to get but I just wanted to run it by some people in the know first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom