• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6? The only lens I currently have for my D7000 is the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 so I'm looking to get a decent telephoto / zoom lens without breaking the bank. My initial research says this is the one to get but I just wanted to run it by some people in the know first.

It is good, but not great. The D7000 will struggle somewhat in low light focusing with this lens. At 300mm it gets pretty soft and have difficulty focusing even in good light.

VR is great and all but kills the bokeh IMHO. Nikon claims this lens is VRII but it does not seem as good as the VR in their "pro" lenses.

Basically you get what you pay for... it is better than the super cheap teles but not as good as the pro models.

derdriu

Just picked up the 25mm PanaLeica f1.4 lens yesterday for my recently purchased Panasonic GH3. Still need to purchase the 7-14mm next, and then save my pennies for the 35-100mm f2.8. Anyone else here a GH3 owner?

How is the GH3? I've been really thinking of getting one, done some research and watched the video samples and it looks great. I've done some editing for friends and want to branch into my own filming, and looking for a decent semi-affordable camera for filming and stills.
How do you find the GH3 or does anyone recommend a camera?

I played with an RX100 and a Fuji XF1 today. The RX100 is even smaller than my GRD3. Weird feeling. I'd buy one if it had an integrated rubber grip (yeah, I know about the third-party option). Very snappy, too.

The XF1 is beautifully made, and the lens barrel reminded me of 50s-era rangefinders, but I couldn't believe that the lens was at a max of f/3.5 at the 35mm equivalent setting. I guess that's where the X10 still has it beat.

Just picked up the 25mm PanaLeica f1.4 lens yesterday for my recently purchased Panasonic GH3. Still need to purchase the 7-14mm next, and then save my pennies for the 35-100mm f2.8. Anyone else here a GH3 owner?

I was actually just about to ask this thread about that lens. How do you like it? I'm currently trying to choose between that and the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 for my (still unhacked) GH2. The Leica is about half the price and I've been reading a lot of good things about it, but the 14-42 kit lens really turned me off of plastic so I'm wondering if the 25mm feels similarly cheap. Have you used the autofocus in video mode at all? I almost exclusively use my GH2 for video, and although I wouldn't use it much it'd be nice to have a lens with quality autofocus for certain situations.

I reaaaaally want the Voigtlander, but I can't decide if it's worth the money.

Picked up the Zuiko 45mm and the 60mm macro. The former is pretty much as expected, fast and sharp. The 60mm has similar qualities and overelapping uses (short telephoto), but macro photography takes some adjustments, at least for me. I do wish it didn't use focus by wire though. The Xmas break will provide ample opprtunity to play with both.

Tried that 75mm monster too, that lens is quite a beast, but I sorta expected 75mm to be too much for me, especially for indoor uses. The 45mm was a safer choice.

I still expect to use my old Lumix 14mm and 20mm more often though. :)

nitewulf

Olympus Zuiko lenses are out of this world, specially for the micro 4/3rds system...the price to quality ratio is insane.

Looks like the 6D is a bit of a loser to the D600. I am torn between staying with canon or switching systems. I just love my 35mm f/1.4L, dont want to give it up.

Tigel

Hey guys, I need some advice.
I want to upgrade my 18-55 kit lens on my Canon T3i, but I'm a bit overwelmed. I'm looking for a good EF wide angle lens that does not cost a fortune.
Any suggestion?

Anyone have any thoughts on the M42 mount lenses? I just ordered a 28mm 2.5 and 50mm 1.7 with the adapter rings. Will buy a 35mm later on. From the pictures and video I've seen, it looks good while keeping my budget in mind.

I have a T3i btw.

Anyone have any thoughts on the M42 mount lenses? I just ordered a 28mm 2.5 and 50mm 1.7 with the adapter rings. Will buy a 35mm later on. From the pictures and video I've seen, it looks good while keeping my budget in mind.

I have a T3i btw.

I have many thoughts and all of them outstanding. Besides the ability to get amazing glass for reasonable prices, you can also get some interesting specimens super cheap. I recommend the Industar 50mm f/2. It's super cheap (sub $20 on good days) and has incredible color and interesting bokeh. The world of M42 lenses is amazing and gun to explore and brushing up on your manual focus isn't too bad either. My single best purchase though and the one that got me on the path of vintage glass was my Takumar 50mm 1.4. $25 for a lens that is comparable to L glass in build and output.

I have many thoughts and all of them outstanding. Besides the ability to get amazing glass for reasonable prices, you can also get some interesting specimens super cheap. I recommend the Industar 50mm f/2. It's super cheap (sub $20 on good days) and has incredible color and interesting bokeh. The world of M42 lenses is amazing and gun to explore and brushing up on your manual focus isn't too bad either. My single best purchase though and the one that got me on the path of vintage glass was my Takumar 50mm 1.4. $25 for a lens that is comparable to L glass in build and output.
That's great to hear. I was trying to get the takumar 50 1.4 but didn't find it for a reasonable price. For my photo and video shoots, I only use manual focus. Everything on the T3i is manual when I use it for video and photos.

I just can't justify buying such expensive lenses when these are available. I've spent close to 3k on my current setup and accessories and I feel like every time I get one thing, I need another.

I Am making the money back with the weddings I do. I do video for a lot of weddings here and I use my dads xf100 in conjunction with the t3i. Works great. $900 a pop. Only have done 3 so far but I've got 4 lines up next year. I only do it to make the money back I spent on my camera gear and to upgrade existing gear.

I STILL need a proper sound recorder that won't break the bank.

Thraktor

Yeah that's wide enough. This lens is only compatible with APS-C sensor though. I'm trying to avoid that since eventually I plan on upgrading to a full frame camera.

You're going to have a very hard time finding an affordable full-frame zoom that goes that wide. The only thing I can think of is Canon's 17-40L, but that's still pretty expensive, and very short as a standard zoom. You're much better off just getting something like the Sigma now and just selling it on when you move up to full-frame, as lenses keep their resale value very well so long as you take care of them.

That's great to hear. I was trying to get the takumar 50 1.4 but didn't find it for a reasonable price. For my photo and video shoots, I only use manual focus. Everything on the T3i is manual when I use it for video and photos.

I just can't justify buying such expensive lenses when these are available. I've spent close to 3k on my current setup and accessories and I feel like every time I get one thing, I need another.

I Am making the money back with the weddings I do. I do video for a lot of weddings here and I use my dads xf100 in conjunction with the t3i. Works great. $900 a pop. Only have done 3 so far but I've got 4 lines up next year. I only do it to make the money back I spent on my camera gear and to upgrade existing gear.

I STILL need a proper sound recorder that won't break the bank.

Yeah, I got lucky with my 1.4 when i found it in a thrift store. If you have the means and time, check in your area at thrift stores, pawn shops, and flea markets. Many people mistakenly think the older gear isn't that valuable and deals can be had with a little bit of luck and persistence. Besides, the thrill of finding quality lenses and gear is always a nice little perk. Pawn shops are notorious for not pricing vintage gear correctly. Right now I've got a Takumar 50mm 1.4, Takumar 135mm 3.5, Takumar 28mm 3.5, Industar I mentioned previously, and Helios 44m-2. That's just for my T4i. My K1000 SE has a bunch of k-mount lenses found and scavenged.

I was actually just about to ask this thread about that lens. How do you like it? I'm currently trying to choose between that and the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 for my (still unhacked) GH2. The Leica is about half the price and I've been reading a lot of good things about it, but the 14-42 kit lens really turned me off of plastic so I'm wondering if the 25mm feels similarly cheap. Have you used the autofocus in video mode at all? I almost exclusively use my GH2 for video, and although I wouldn't use it much it'd be nice to have a lens with quality autofocus for certain situations.

I reaaaaally want the Voigtlander, but I can't decide if it's worth the money.

The 25mm does not feel cheap. It's made from a very dense polycarbonate with a metal mount. It also has a thick, well-damped focus ring.

I love it on my OMD for low-light and as a normal prime, but it's not as sharp as the best Zuiko primes like the 45,60 and especially the 75.

Tigel

You're going to have a very hard time finding an affordable full-frame zoom that goes that wide. The only thing I can think of is Canon's 17-40L, but that's still pretty expensive, and very short as a standard zoom. You're much better off just getting something like the Sigma now and just selling it on when you move up to full-frame, as lenses keep their resale value very well so long as you take care of them.
The 17-40L seems really nice. Used, I can get it for ~600$ so it's not that bad. But yeah, the zoom is quite limited.
Maybe I'll be just better off buying an EF-S lens and reselling it later, like you said...

tino

Banned
Yeah that's wide enough. This lens is only compatible with APS-C sensor though. I'm trying to avoid that since eventually I plan on upgrading to a full frame camera.

Its not going to save you money if you upgrade your lens system to ff ahead of schedule. But if you insist, you can go ahead and get a 16-35mm, or the 17-40.

giga

Still waiting on photozone, but dpreview reviewed the sigma 35mm 1.4 and pretty much crowned it the best 35mm fast prime. It bested the canon 35L, nikon 35mm 1.4, AND the zeiss 35mm 1.4.

Sigma 35mm 1.4: $900
Canon 35mm 1.4: $1200
Nikon 35mm 1.4: $1600
Zeiss 35mm 1.4: $1800

sRee+

Sigma has produced some really fine lenses over the past few years, including the 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (which we liked a lot when we reviewed it in 2008) and the 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. But the 35mm F1.4 DG HSM may possibly be its best yet. In fact it's one of those rare lenses for which finding any fault seems almost churlish, so good is its overall performance.

Let's start with the optics. It's remarkably sharp, even wide open, outperforming not only its Canon, Nikon and Sony equivalents, but also the far more expensive Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 in lab tests. Chromatic aberration is also impressively well controlled (both lateral and longitudinal), distortion is low and vignetting more-or-less typical for its class. The rendition of out-of-focus regions is generally quite attractive, although complex backgrounds can end up looking rather 'fussy'. The overall result, though, is a lens that delivers fine-looking images with the minimum of fuss, shot after shot.

There's nothing to complain about with regards to handling either. Focusing is fast, silent and positive, and we've found our Canon-mount test sample to be very accurate too (although this being an F1.4 prime, you've got to take great care over where you place your focus point). The manual focus ring is smooth and precise, and allows the focus position to be adjusted after autofocus. Several small-but-useful touches, such as a ridged grip on the underside of the barrel, and even a redesigned, unusually-positive centre-pinch front cap, all add to the usability. Sigma has clearly put a lot of thought into every aspect of the lens's design.

Equally, it's difficult to find fault with the build quality, which feels reassuringly solid. But one point to note is that Sigma doesn't describe the lens as weather-sealed, unlike its more expensive Nikon counterpart. So if this is particularly important to you, then the Sigma may not be the best choice. The aren't many other obvious reasons not to buy it (although Canon users who value image stabilisation over outright speed, perhaps for video work, should also consider the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM).

Pretty awesome how the christmas lights were out of focus at this distance (when shot wide open):

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-hsm

35 1.4 is enticing for my next lens, but i just spent $700 on the SAL1650 SSM, so I might stick with the 30mm 1.4 sigma after Xmas (half the price) I miss my old fantastic plastics :(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Still waiting on photozone, but dpreview reviewed the sigma 35mm 1.4 and pretty much crowned it the best 35mm fast prime. It bested the canon 35L, nikon 35mm 1.4, AND the zeiss 35mm 1.4.

sRee+

Pretty awesome how the christmas lights were out of focus at this distance (when shot wide open):

Sigma have been killing as far as price performance and now this lens and even the Sigma 85mm.

Flo_Evans

Woohoo got a fuji x10 for Christmas. Interesting little camera.

The build quality and feel of it are amazing. The lens seems good. Sensor is weird. From what I am reading it doesn't use the traditional bayer pattern of pixels but some weird "EXR" pattern.

Supposedly if you set it to half res it does a hardware HDR where half of the pixels underexpose and averages out the noise and increases dynamic range!

Need to play around with this, not sure if it is marketing bullshit or if it actually does anything. I'm of the opinion that any kind of downsampling and noise reduction tricks the camera can do I can do better in Lightroom.

My initial IQ impression is that it is around other high end point and shoots like the canon s100 but with much nicer body and controls (at the cost of size). I think it will be a great travel cam when I don't want to haul around the DSLR. Kind of wish they could of squeezed the x100 sensor in there but you can't have everything.

The build quality and feel of it are amazing. The lens seems good. Sensor is weird. From what I am reading it doesn't use the traditional bayer pattern of pixels but some weird "EXR" pattern.

Supposedly if you set it to half res it does a hardware HDR where half of the pixels underexpose and averages out the noise and increases dynamic range!

Need to play around with this, not sure if it is marketing bullshit or if it actually does anything. I'm of the opinion that any kind of downsampling and noise reduction tricks the camera can do I can do better in Lightroom.

My initial IQ impression is that it is around other high end point and shoots like the canon s100 but with much nicer body and controls (at the cost of size). I think it will be a great travel cam when I don't want to haul around the DSLR. Kind of wish they could of squeezed the x100 sensor in there but you can't have everything.

Fuji has an awesome jpeg engine, which makes it an even better travel cam.

Do you still have your D600? How is it holding up?

How do you like the AF in low light conditions?

magenta

I started to see the Nikon V1 price being dropped to around $300, is it worth it or should I keep saving cash and jump on the Sony NEX train?

tino

Banned
I started to see the Nikon V1 price being dropped to around $300, is it worth it or should I keep saving cash and jump on the Sony NEX train?

I think its perfect camera for people who want to "take baby pictures." Its also more fool proof than NEX and m43, and faster than P&S.

You miss the $250 1 day sale.

My mom surprised me and got me a Sony RX100 off of my Amazon Wish List. It's a rad little camera. I'm still adjusting to it, but I'm really impressed. It isn't cheap, but even still, you get a lot of bang for your buck out of it.

Flo_Evans

Fuji has an awesome jpeg engine, which makes it an even better travel cam.

Do you still have your D600? How is it holding up?

How do you like the AF in low light conditions?

Yeah I still have a D600. Still amazed by it's capability. It was kind of jarring going from shooting that to the x10. Then I rememberd it's a $2000 body with a $1500 lens and a $500 external flash vs a $500 all in one camera ;P

The low light AF is pretty great on it. Better than the D7000 for sure. I was using the speedlight AF assist thingy and it was nailing it.

Max

I am not Max
So I've been looking into getting a camera for when I move away in April. I want to be able to take shots to send to family as well as upload high def video. Mostly I've been looking at the T3i, the T4i, and the Nikon P7700. I'm not really convinced I NEED as DSLR as I feel I would never buy another lens, but you never know, I could fall in love.

The P7700 is more compact and also has the swiveling viewfinder I'm most interested in for video capture.

Any recommendations? The T3i is on sale right now for $550

tino

Banned
So I haven't had any time to play with the X-E1 since I got it. Christmas was the only day
I had time with the camera. Went to Bryan Park and spent a bit time around Time Square.

I just want to post this photo.

Close up 100%:

ISO 6400 @ F/4 with the bundled 18-55mm f/2.8-4 lens.

Fuji's evening color is just so good. The exterior light were all blue and white. I didn't use
the flash and left the white balance at auto. The camera just figured out the correct
color temparature. I didn't have to do anything in Photoshop.

IMO 6400 is totally usable if you shrink down a bit. The digital noice is not ugly. I just
leave the ISO setting on Auto 6400 and don't have to worry about it. The switch between
shutter priority and program is also very easy.

So far my main complain is that at program mode I can not force the flash. Maybe I
haven't figured out how to do it. I can only force flash in non program mode. Also
the body is too small for me to hold in one hand. AF speed is kind of OK, its on par with
NEX focus speed. I think I have to get the 35mm now. It's very enjoyable to use AF lens
with the X-E1.

Sagitario

Do you guys know of any good online tutorial for learning how to use a DSLR/SLT cameras.
I got a Sony a few months ago, but only now I am starting to use it.

Things like AF/MF/aperture/ISO, etc and what do all those numbers and symbols mean :p

I'm possibly looking into a new lens and need some guidance. 50mm I use pretty much 99% of the time due to its sharpness, but there are times when I'm in a small room and it just doesn't work, so I switch to kit lens, and it is a noticeable difference to me in picture quality. I'm no pro and don't have a big budget to spend on a lens. What would be some options in the $400 or less range?

My equipment:
Nikon D5100
Nikon 50mm f/1.8g
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR (kit lens)
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR

giga

I'm possibly looking into a new lens and need some guidance. 50mm I use pretty much 99% of the time due to its sharpness, but there are times when I'm in a small room and it just doesn't work, so I switch to kit lens, and it is a noticeable difference to me in picture quality. I'm no pro and don't have a big budget to spend on a lens. What would be some options in the $400 or less range?

My equipment:
Nikon D5100
Nikon 50mm f/1.8g
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR (kit lens)
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2PPT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I've praised the X10 plenty of times in this thread and elsewhere.

I've shot with several thousand dollar camera and lens combos for news coverage and hobby, and have burned through four different bodies from Canon and Nikon. When I got the X10, I was blown away. The color of the images is just spectacular - their JPEG engine is on a whole other level. That, coupled with its great feature set, wonderful speedy glass, and great auto-features - plus a portable and strong/quality body - it's just a near perfect camera.

Is it as good as a prosumer DSLR with $1500 glass? Of course not - it lacks sharpness, high megapixel count, super-fast primes, lightening quick AF, and of course the flexibility of having several lenses and better grip and weatherproofing. It can't compete. ... But it's a ~$500 camera. That's it. And for half a grand, it gets about 80% of the way as those multi-grand setups. I don't have the skills to hone my gear to utilize that extra 20% - at least not enough to justify the massive increase in monetary investment.

I ended up selling every other piece of camera equipment I owned. The X10 is nearly perfect, IMO. And the next camera I buy will undoubtedly be the eventual X-Pro 2.

dmshaposv

Im now in love with canon's new flash system - 600ex rt + st-e3-rt + light stand is an awesome small footprint run n gun strobist setup.

sRee+

Thank you. I've been wanting to get a 35mm for my next lens. I havent been doing much homework since I didn't have enough cash to spend on it. I'll be able to purchase it fairly soon, and now I know what I want.

After getting my 85mm 1.2 L I can't get enough of a wide wide apeture prime. So 1.4 will be perfect for me.

sRee+

This will be my next lens. I've been tempted to buy a 35mm 1.4 for a long time now, this is perfect timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom