• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

negitoro7

How is the GH3? I've been really thinking of getting one, done some research and watched the video samples and it looks great. I've done some editing for friends and want to branch into my own filming, and looking for a decent semi-affordable camera for filming and stills.
How do you find the GH3 or does anyone recommend a camera?

It's a fantastic camera, and feels very robust and solid. I did exhaustive research before deciding to wait for its release about half a year ago and it's well worth the wait. If you're coming from a DSLR FF (or even an APS-C), you'll love the weight and size savings of Micro 4/3. My uses of the camera will be at least 50% on video, and this fits my needs perfectly.

I was actually just about to ask this thread about that lens. How do you like it? I'm currently trying to choose between that and the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 for my (still unhacked) GH2. The Leica is about half the price and I've been reading a lot of good things about it, but the 14-42 kit lens really turned me off of plastic so I'm wondering if the 25mm feels similarly cheap. Have you used the autofocus in video mode at all? I almost exclusively use my GH2 for video, and although I wouldn't use it much it'd be nice to have a lens with quality autofocus for certain situations.

I reaaaaally want the Voigtlander, but I can't decide if it's worth the money.

The Voigtlander is a beautiful lens by all accounts, but it's a little too specialized for my needs and too expensive for how little use I'd get out of it. I love the 25mm Panaleica, it feels pretty solidly built IMO, and the lowlight/DOF/bokeh is great, but the Nokton is probably in a whole 'nother league. I'd see if I could rent or borrow both if I were really choosing between the two.
I'm still experimenting with the autofocus, didn't get too many opportunities yet to test it out fully. I need to know that I can trust it before doing the next wedding shoot (hoping to get the 35-100mm before that).

hi guys, thinking of buying the wife a DSLR and narrowed it down to the Nikon 3200 or the 5100, which would you guys recommend? since they're both similarly priced

Thought so, I want an L lens someday and it will probably be the 70-200 for zoo wildlife pictures, but I figure I'd need a new tripod which oculd handle the extra weight and a tripod collar since it doesn't come with one

Maybe I'd save up for the IS version instead

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So I've been meaning to pick up the Canon 35mm f/2 and it seems to be getting solid reviews online but I was wondering if anyone here had good experiences with it.

Maybe I'd save up for the IS version instead

Yeah, do this. The 70-200 f/4 IS is a fantastic lens. IS is a godsend with longer focal lengths, plus with the IS version you get better optics and weather sealing. It's well worth the price premium. To me using a tripod in a zoo seems like a pain, especially if it's crowded.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The current price of the refurb 5D Mark II is $1407 and change. I was hoping to get the additional 10% off from the loyalty program but the person told me the price was still the same for the loyalty program.

Anyone else looked into this?

Borman

I had the 70-200 F4.0, without IS, and still loved it. Granted, I used it in the daylight, but it was still one of my favorite lens that I had.

Yeah, do this. The 70-200 f/4 IS is a fantastic lens. IS is a godsend with longer focal lengths, plus with the IS version you get better optics and weather sealing. It's well worth the price premium. To me using a tripod in a zoo seems like a pain, especially if it's crowded.

I've been a member at the zoo almost my whole life, I go when its not busy, as do the people with absolutely ridiculously expensive camera equipment, I once witnessed a few of them (who did not know each other) all giving their opinion on some camera store drama in Toronto lol

IllumiNate

Ok gaf I'm gonna go with your advise on this one.
Theres a boxing day sale on and these packages are the same price ($2,000). Which of these 2 should I choose?

Nikon D7000
Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX Nikkor
Nikon AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF

or the

Nikon D600
Nikon AF-S 24-85mm VR II Lens
2x Acumem 32GB SDHC Pro Card Class 10

Theres a boxing day sale on and these packages are the same price ($2,000). Which of these 2 should I choose?

Nikon D7000

or the

Nikon D600

I don't have much experience BUT I had the D7000 for a few days and wasnt too impressed. I have had the D600 for about a week and half and LOVE it. I took advantage of the same budle and price and am EXTREMELY happy.

Ptaaty

Nikon D7000

or the

Nikon D600

I am moving from entry level to mid-upper range, along with switching systems in the process (from Pentax K-x). As part of the process, I did an absurd amount of analysis and research looking into D7000 vs D600 pros / cons along with potential lenses (I still am looking in this area). Ended up ordering the D600 lens kit. As you probably know you have until end of 12/29 to order at this price ( I assume you are getting it on the same Nikon instant rebate everyone is for this price).

Bottom line - DX is on the way out, maybe not tomorrow, but I side with the camp that in 5 years APS-C will be gone from DSLR in any meaningful capacity. The camp will split and mirror the shrinking point and shoot market....mirrorless and FX/full frame will be the two major games in town.

What does that have to do with anything? Lenses. FX compatible lenses will be good now, tomorrow, forever. You can still use the old 35mm lenses. Every photographer who has been around a couple years will say the same thing...lenses go up in value, bodies drop in value. Put money in lenses.

For me that meant I would be buying lenses with an eye towards FF/FX in the future, always off of what I need (crop factor) if I went D7000. Also I am CONSTANTLY bumping against the high end of iso where it still gives acceptable results...the D600 is an absolute beast in this area. Not only are you getting the 24MP for poster size landscape, along with nearly the best EV performance, you get exceptional high ISO performance.

I am pretty psyched for my D600 kit. I know I will not be looking for a body upgrade for a long long time (8-10 years maybe?) and any lens I put money in will keep no matter how long I stay in the hobby (along with ability to get my money out).

tino

Banned
If you look at the 4/3 (not Micro 4/3) and FD lens historical curve. Discontinued system lens don't really lose their values that fast. Only low to mid tier lens or 3rd party lens depreciate fast.

The D7000 kit is more versatile, given the larger variety of lenses.

If you are at all interested in wildlife, the D7000 kit would be the better choice. If you are looking for people or landscape pictures the D600 kit is fine.

Do a camera search on Flickr (etc) and see what people are doing with the cameras.

IllumiNate

I don't have much experience BUT I had the D7000 for a few days and wasnt too impressed. I have had the D600 for about a week and half and LOVE it. I took advantage of the same budle and price and am EXTREMELY happy.

I am pretty psyched for my D600 kit. I know I will not be looking for a body upgrade for a long long time (8-10 years maybe?) and any lens I put money in will keep no matter how long I stay in the hobby (along with ability to get my money out).

Thank you guys, I went ahead and purchased the D600 kit. I actually went to a different online shop and got (imo) a better deal. Instead of the kit + the extra 2x 32gb slow speed mem cards I got

Nikon D600 kit with 24-85mm VR
Nanuk 930 case
and Free: Photo workshop
2 hours ($39.99 value)???

Anyway's yeah I think I got a better deal. I went ahead and ordered 2x SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s. Now to look for a nice lowepro bag and a tripod.

Hmm. Reading a couple reviews it was mentioned low zoom. Maybe I misread it.

i reviewed it and liked it so much i bought my own. the zoom range is a little limiting next to the canon S110 (i'd like a slightly wider angle at least) but that doesn't stop it being the best point-and-shoot ever made.

considering the sensor and overall size of the camera the lens is a marvel of physics. but we could always want more!

Looking to purchase a beginner DSLR and right now the D3200 and the T4i are basically the same price. From reviews I've read, it looks like the Canon is the way to go, but I was curious if you guys had any guidance. Thanks!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the D5100 is in play too since it's in my price range.

Looking to purchase a beginner DSLR and right now the D3200 and the T4i are basically the same price. From reviews I've read, it looks like the Canon is the way to go, but I was curious if you guys had any guidance. Thanks!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the D5100 is in play too since it's in my price range.

T4i. But I'm a Canon person so that's what I would say.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Anybody here have a Sony RX100? How do you like it? Has the zoom limited you at all?

I have it and it is an amazing little camera. The best compact camera ever made I would say, the image quality is very and together with the size its just so good.
Basically, the best camera is the one that you always have with you and this could very well be that one..

The only "wish" is what many already have said, at the maximum zoom it is F/4.9 and and that perhaps it would have been cooler to start from 24mm instead of 28mm.. but besides this, its just soo good.

I have 2 sets in flickr that are taken only with the RX100, so you can see what it is capable of:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lephotographeur/sets/72157632107099896/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lephotographeur/sets/72157631064978360/

Both the T4i and the D5100 are very capable. An important factor is how the camera feels in your hand. You should definitely compare them side by side in a store.

I have searched this thread as well as online, and I cant really find any really solid tutorials on photography and different lenses for different uses. I have a canon T3i with the kit lens and my pictures just seem OK, nothing special unless I get lucky.

If anyone could refer me to some blogs and tutorial sites, that would be really great!

IllumiNate

So purchasing that D600 kinda drained my funds, but I'm looking to get a new lens on payday in a couple weeks. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm wondering which of these two paths should I look into taking.
The D600 came with the kit lens (AF-S 24-85mm VR)

Should I:

A) Keep the Kit lens (Nikon AF-S 24-85 VR) and purchase the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4

Or

B) Sell the kit lens and purchase the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED and the 70-200 or 300mm f/2.8

and if option B is better do you suggest the 70-200 or the 70-300mm? which Brand?

I had a white stuck pixel on my Canon T3i. Thought it was dust on a lens but it happened with all of my lenses. Wasn't dust on the mirror either as I cleaned it thoroughly, so I did some googling and found this: http://cheesycam.com/fixing-random-hot-or-dead-pixels/

It really helps.

Oh, and the m42 lenses work GREAT! I'm loving the picture! The 50mm 1.7 is awesome as is the 28mm 2.5. I'll get a 35mm in a few weeks and use these as my main prime lenses. I mean, they look spectacular. As good as the Nikkor 35mm I used with an adapter. Very happy with my purchases.

Also bought the Lilliput 667GL as a field monitor for my rig. Works great too cept that it isn't full screen when recording. It's full screen when playing back footage though. I'm fine with that as I can focus better and set the monitor to what my HDTV looks like. I've found out the T3i's LCD lies to me with the brightness. It looks good on the little LCD but when I put it on my TV or laptop, it's dark as hell and I have to brighten it in post.

Now all I need is a follow focus (that works with the extended battery pack) and a matte box. Both of these are severely expensive so I'll be looking for a deal.

I'll post a picture of my rig as soon as I get some more screws to put everything in place.

dmshaposv

So purchasing that D600 kinda drained my funds, but I'm looking to get a new lens on payday in a couple weeks. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm wondering which of these two paths should I look into taking.
The D600 came with the kit lens (AF-S 24-85mm VR)

Should I:

A) Keep the Kit lens (Nikon AF-S 24-85 VR) and purchase the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4

Or

B) Sell the kit lens and purchase the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED and the 70-200 or 300mm f/2.8

and if option B is better do you suggest the 70-200 or the 70-300mm? which Brand?

I suggest getting a 24-70. 24-85 is an amazing focal length range for general all-purpose situation on a full frame body from wide shots to close up potraits. But I think that nikon lens is not so wide open, if I'm not wrong (f3.5 to f5 or something).

I'm a canon user (but I know there is a nikon version too), so I got the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 with VC. This lens is awesome - great price and the VC is awesome for stills and video. And f2.8 cant be beat.

Here is an awesome review that puts together all the major 24-70 lenses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat-cF1Aess&playnext=1&list=PL6C83FA119A420E96&feature=results_video

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I have searched this thread as well as online, and I cant really find any really solid tutorials on photography and different lenses for different uses. I have a canon T3i with the kit lens and my pictures just seem OK, nothing special unless I get lucky.

If anyone could refer me to some blogs and tutorial sites, that would be really great!

Main thing to get your head around is that photography is essentially an experimental art. You'll get better and faster by trying different things out and seeing what works.

That said, see this post for some options.

I'd add to that the excellent Cambridge in Colour site.

There's some good books too, but don't read too many of them (take photos instead). I listed a couple in this post.

You will also need to get your head around post-processing (in Photoshop/Elements/Gimp or something) - it makes a hell of a difference. Best bet is to take a photo that you are kind of happy with but not quite and play with it - levels/contrast/sharpness for starters. And cropping - crop things a lot different ways, it's one way of learning composition Can't really remember how I got into that.

Now, we do get asked this sort of question a lot - would it be worth me putting up a separate "learning photography" thread to put people's recommended links into? I'm by no means an expert, learning all the time myself, but I'd be quite happy to host it and keep the OP updated with useful stuff if enough of you guys think that would be a good idea.

giga

Main thing to get your head around is that photography is essentially an experimental art. You'll get better and faster by trying different things out and seeing what works.

That said, see this post for some options.

I'd add to that the excellent Cambridge in Colour site.

There's some good books too, but don't read too many of them (take photos instead). I listed a couple in this post.

You will also need to get your head around post-processing (in Photoshop/Elements/Gimp or something) - it makes a hell of a difference. Best bet is to take a photo that you are kind of happy with but not quite and play with it - levels/contrast/sharpness for starters. And cropping - crop things a lot different ways, it's one way of learning composition Can't really remember how I got into that.

Now, we do get asked this sort of question a lot - would it be worth me putting up a separate "learning photography" thread to put people's recommended links into? I'm by no means an expert, learning all the time myself, but I'd be quite happy to host it and keep the OP updated with useful stuff if enough of you guys think that would be a good idea.
We should create new ot2 for this thread. The op for this thread is terribly lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom