• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main thing to get your head around is that photography is essentially an experimental art. You'll get better and faster by trying different things out and seeing what works.

That said, see this post for some options.

[...]

Thank you! Much appreciated. Those links will definitely help a lot.
And you're right that a "learning photography" thread would be a useful addition to these forums!

tino

Banned
Photography is a hobby. There is not right way to learn photography. Go out and shoot 2000 pictures first and you will ask the right questions.

dmshaposv

While I do believe that "going out there and shooting" is a good practice - I know many people who may snap 2000 pics and still dont know what the hell they are doing. Sure, youll get a few gems, but I feel this way of learning can be frustrating. You got a nice picture, but you don't know how you did it. This is your typical "Auto" user.

A better way to learn is to check out photos you like, and then try to break down how to achieve a similar kind of picture. The great thing about the internet is everyone shares their photos and their settings.

There is a drive and sense of purpose there, which helps you even overcome the initial challenges newbies encounter (such as understanding the dynamics of light and shadow and the exposure triangle)

I have searched this thread as well as online, and I cant really find any really solid tutorials on photography and different lenses for different uses. I have a canon T3i with the kit lens and my pictures just seem OK, nothing special unless I get lucky.

If anyone could refer me to some blogs and tutorial sites, that would be really great!

I highly recommend this book. It's easy to read and understand and the examples explain a lot:

Understanding Exposure

Also, this may be more effort than you want to do, but you may consider a course in beginner photography at your local community college. It's a great way to get one on one experience with someone knowledgable and the assignments can be a good source of inspiration and drive to get out there and shoot.

Sec0nd

Hi guys, just finished my first video testing my new DSLR. I've noticed a lot of screen shaking using a 50mm lens. Does anyone know some cheap stabilising equipment or some DIY setups to decrease shaky shots during handheld shots?

Here's the video: Vision of the Future

Iacobellis

Hi guys, just finished my first video testing my new DSLR. I've noticed a lot of screen shaking using a 50mm lens. Does anyone know some cheap stabilising equipment or some DIY setups to decrease shaky shots during handheld shots?

Here's the video: Vision of the Future

That was really good! I'm not too keen on how to eliminate the shake, but your editing was top notch!

Also with digital cameras you can take multiple shots using different settings and not waste film or much time, just keep shooting and notice the changes, see what you like best

Iacobellis

Haha thanks! It was my first time ever attempting something like this. Really had to figure everything out, it was fun though!

I bet it was! I love video editing, and really need to get back into it. What programs did you use for Vision of the Future?

Lennington

Neo Member
I have searched this thread as well as online, and I cant really find any really solid tutorials on photography and different lenses for different uses. I have a canon T3i with the kit lens and my pictures just seem OK, nothing special unless I get lucky.

If anyone could refer me to some blogs and tutorial sites, that would be really great!

For tutorials I would go to:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/index.shtml
http://digital-photography-school.com/
http://www.exposureguide.com/

Honestly the best way to learn is by talking to other photographers, sharing your photographs and getting critique back. That sandwiched both sides by practice!

Most local photography clubs have evenings where newcomers can pop down and get shown around, I'd highly recommend doing that. Also search for any local photowalks. These are great because it's a casual vibe, you'll get to see more experienced photographers at work and also they'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Not sure what to do with a wide angle lens? No doubt there would be someone at the photowalk who not only knows the answer but is carrying one in person and can show you right there how to use it. Don't be shy about it either because if there's one thing all photographers love it's talking about their gear ;)

snoopen

Thoughts on the Sony rx100? It's 617 locally for me (au) which is nearly as cheap as importing.

I want to take it holidays to Europe and US next year. I'm thinking I'll not want to lug a big dslr and multiple lenses around..

I'm looking for a cheap camera and lens to film low budget music videos, what would you guys recommend?

Something that could do this and more for under 1k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHd5Bpxz28Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzixcudSt0&list=UU9HlWVtENbiMQzVRmnbJxtw&index=28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORVz_qeKgvg

If thats even possible in the first place with a camera under 1k.

PS: I know alot has to do with editing, whats the closest I can get without that for under 1k.
Buy a Panasonic GH2, hack it and then get a bunch of cheap manual focus lenses on EBay.

Shit, Amazon has it for $499 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043VE26U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

milkham

do you guys think i would be better off trying to sell this as one package or body+grip and lens by seperately? it's an ef-s 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS

8329286770_3506067852_c.jpg

IllumiNate

I never realized how expensive this hobby is to get into. I've always been intrigued by photography and pristine picture quality. I knew months back that I wanted to get a DSLR, but I decided it would be best to wait for boxing day deals.
My original plan was to purchase the D3200 since it had great reviews on amazon and came with the kit lens for around $600. Upon further reading I found out that the D5200 just released that week, I checked the specs and read some previews and loved the swivel screen. My mind was almost decided that I wanted the D5200 instead. So I looked into other camera's and saw that the D7000 was around the same price. So I took it to gaf and asked which would be the better buy and the D7000 was mentioned. I proceeded to check reviews and found that the D7000 was due for a refresh soon.
I had decided to hold off on my SLR purchase until the D7000 refresh... That is until I went to the mall to get a hands on with the camera and saw that the Source had there boxing day deals on and the D7000 was $300 off sticker price. So I did what I normally would do and took to my phone and Googled the D7000 prices in canada.
I found a bunch of places online also having there boxing week deals on, and found that a store online had the D7000 for only $750.
I was about to pull the trigger but I saw that all there lenses were on sale too and I knew I needed one.
I read for hours and hours about what the best lenses were for that camera plus some cheaper alternatives. I figured I'd get the 16-85mm, 35mm 1.8, and the 70-300mm and the total with camera would be about $2,000. I then see the D600 full frame camera, and find that it also has a special on which includes the lens kit plus other nice goodies included for the same price as the D7000 package ($2,000). I ask Gaf what there opinion was and was told I may as well get the full frame. So I take to YouTube and search up reviews and comparisons, hit amazon reviews ect.. and finally after all that I have decided on the camera that I would like to buy so I ordered The Nikon D600.
So here we are 2 days later and I've read for hours,youtubed videos on lenses for full frame cameras and now finally know which lenses that I would like to buy. Yikes this is getting expensive, not only do I need these lenses but also a dslr bag, neck strap, tripod, fast speed memory cards, Lightroom 4, uv filters, lens cleaning kits.
Wowza... I don't mind the research needed to find what I'm looking for in each of those categories. But jeez, you find that u need nice speed memory cards, cool so that's $85 each. A nice lowepro pack, another $100, Lightroom 4 $100, a tripod.. But any old tripod will do right?..(Wrong) you need to make sure the tripod is sturdy enough to hold your gear, light enough to bring with you when traveling. I look up nice tripods and find they run for $400+
Edit: The Battery Grip with extra battery $400 and the optional External flash $750??? How do u guys do it?
What started out as a $600 investment for the D3200 with kit has now turned into something that will end up costing closer to $5,000. I'll most likely buy 1 new lens a month until I have the ones that I'm interested in. Luckily I had a couple grand in my savings to get me started..
Is this just me or has anyone else had a similar experience?

Ill Saint

Sounds like it all kinda snowballed for you, and it's gonna keep on going that way unless you reign yourself in. You're just starting out, and certainly buying 1 new lens a month is overindulgent. The 3 lenses you mentioned are enough to cover you for now.

Take a deep breath, chill, keep your cash in the bank and take your new gear out for some photo fun times.

You have a great camera there, so learn it inside out, enjoy the process of discovery, hone your skills, discover what focal lengths you really like to work with, and what type of photography you like most. Have fun!

I never realized how expensive this hobby is to get into. I've always been intrigued by photography and pristine picture quality. I knew months back that I wanted to get a DSLR, but I decided it would be best to wait for boxing day deals.
My original plan was to purchase the D3200 since it had great reviews on amazon and came with the kit lens for around $600. Upon further reading I found out that the D5200 just released that week, I checked the specs and read some previews and loved the swivel screen. My mind was almost decided that I wanted the D5200 instead. So I looked into other camera's and saw that the D7000 was around the same price. So I took it to gaf and asked which would be the better buy and the D7000 was mentioned. I proceeded to check reviews and found that the D7000 was due for a refresh soon.
I had decided to hold off on my SLR purchase until the D7000 refresh... That is until I went to the mall to get a hands on with the camera and saw that the Source had there boxing day deals on and the D7000 was $300 off sticker price. So I did what I normally would do and took to my phone and Googled the D7000 prices in canada.
I found a bunch of places online also having there boxing week deals on, and found that a store online had the D7000 for only $750.
I was about to pull the trigger but I saw that all there lenses were on sale too and I knew I needed one.
I read for hours and hours about what the best lenses were for that camera plus some cheaper alternatives. I figured I'd get the 16-85mm, 35mm 1.8, and the 70-300mm and the total with camera would be about $2,000. I then see the D600 full frame camera, and find that it also has a special on which includes the lens kit plus other nice goodies included for the same price as the D7000 package ($2,000). I ask Gaf what there opinion was and was told I may as well get the full frame. So I take to YouTube and search up reviews and comparisons, hit amazon reviews ect.. and finally after all that I have decided on the camera that I would like to buy so I ordered The Nikon D600.
So here we are 2 days later and I've read for hours,youtubed videos on lenses for full frame cameras and now finally know which lenses that I would like to buy. Yikes this is getting expensive, not only do I need these lenses but also a dslr bag, neck strap, tripod, fast speed memory cards, Lightroom 4, uv filters, lens cleaning kits. Wowza... I don't mind the research needed to find what I'm looking for in each of those categories. But jeez, you find that u need nice speed memory cards, cool so that's $85 each. A nice lowepro pack, another $100, Lightroom 4 $100, a tripod.. But any old tripod will do right?..(Wrong) you need to make sure the tripod is sturdy enough to hold your gear, light enough to bring with you when traveling. I look up nice tripods and finds they run for $400+
What started out as a $600 investment for the D3200 with kit has now turned into something that will end up costing closer to $5,000. I'll most likely buy 1 new lens a month until I have the ones that I'm interested in. Luckily I had a couple grand in my savings to get me started..

I'm right there with you. I have the Canon T3i mainly for film and the accessories to do what you want will cost you way more than the camera itself. I've spent thousands already and need to spend about 700 more to gather the rest of what I need.

You sure you want full frame? D7000 has a croped sensor so that means a 35mm lens would really be something higher. That may be good or bad for you depending on what you want to do.

BTW, the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 is a really great lens. It lets a lot of light in and is light weight and doesn't feel cheap. I use it a lot for my Canon (with an adaptor).

So here we are 2 days later and I've read for hours,youtubed videos on lenses for full frame cameras and now finally know which lenses that I would like to buy. Yikes this is getting expensive, not only do I need these lenses but also a dslr bag, neck strap, tripod, fast speed memory cards, Lightroom 4, uv filters, lens cleaning kits. Wowza... I don't mind the research needed to find what I'm looking for in each of those categories. But jeez, you find that u need nice speed memory cards, cool so that's $85 each. A nice lowepro pack, another $100, Lightroom 4 $100, a tripod.. But any old tripod will do right?..(Wrong) you need to make sure the tripod is sturdy enough to hold your gear, light enough to bring with you when traveling. I look up nice tripods and finds they run for $400+

Yes, it is expensive, but bear in mind that you don't need all this stuff to take great pictures.

Especially if you're new to photography.

I see that you already ordered a D600. All you need now is a 50mm 1.8G (or D) and then go out and take some pictures. Hundreds, thousands.

giga

Honestly, I don't think you should have started out with the D600 kit if you wanted to keep costs low. Photography is expensive, yes, but it can still be controlled. $2000 on a body and (relatively cheap) kit lens is very much on the high side. A D7000 or D300 would have been more than enough, especially since you're just starting.

You definitely don't need to buy a lowepro or a $400 tripod. I spent $100 on a (manfrotto) ball head and $100 on some sturdy legs.

tino

Banned
The D7k at $700 is alot bang for the money. Higher value cost ratio than the D600 or the 6D.

If you want to start out with a ff body, 5D2 is a better deal.

edit: don't spend too much money if you don't know you love this hobby. How do you know you still love photography next year?

giga

Edit: The Battery Grip with extra battery $400 and the optional External flash $750??? How do u guys do it?
Why do you need a grip and external flash when you just started? An SB-700 is $300. It seems like you're spending money for the sake of spending money. Learn the basics before wasting money on things you won't know how to use or take advantage of.

IllumiNate

Why do you need a grip and external flash--you just started? An SB-700 is $300

Im not buying all this stuff right away, I don't need any of It, I was just stating the cost of the components! I'll eventually get the camera grip, most likely before my next vacation. I'm actually holding off getting a tripod until around March/April anyways since it's still far to cold out where I am -20ish to be lugging one around.

giga

I don't need any of It, I'm just stating the cost of the components! I'll eventually get the camera grip, most likely before my next vacation. I'm actually holding off getting a tripod until around March/April anyways since it's still far to cold out where I am -20ish to be lugging one around.
A lot of the items you listed aren't that high. There are cheaper options for bodies, lenses, grips, flashes, tripods, and so on. Buying a $2000 body, a $400 tripod, a $100 camera bag, and a $400 grip--all while using a standard kit lens, would be a mistake. A lot of photographers buy used or refurbished. Look for deals instead of buying at the list price. Look at cheaper options instead of top of the line models.

IllumiNate

A lot of the items you listed aren't that high. There are cheaper options for bodies, lenses, grips, flashes, tripods, and so on. Buying a $2000 body, a $400 tripod, a $100 camera bag, and a $400 grip--all while using a standard kit lens, would be a mistake. A lot of photographers buy used or refurbished. Look for deals instead of buying at the list price. Look at cheaper options instead of top of the line models.

Yeah I'll definitely be searching ebay and amazon for deals on most of this stuff. I've already ordered the bag though since its pretty much needed. I'll never myself purchase an external flash but some people have to.
I'm just stating that this is quite the expensive hobby, kinda took me off guard. What do you shoot?

giga

Yeah I'll definitely be searching ebay and amazon for deals on most of this stuff. I've already ordered the bag though since its pretty much needed. I'll never myself purchase an external flash but some people have to.
I'm just stating that this is quite the expensive hobby, kinda took me off guard. What do you shoot?
Portrait photographer.

What started out as a $600 investment for the D3200 with kit has now turned into something that will end up costing closer to $5,000.

Only because you let it. Most of us started at the cheap end, which when I started was more than double the price of the entry price today.

But yes, it can be an expensive hobby. I find it's very useful to figure out where your current gear is letting you down before buying new stuff.

Damn, you start looking looking at the D3200 then jump all the way to D600!? I think the D600 will be much more camera than you need. I'd say start with the D3200 with kit lenses plus 35mm F/1.8 plus a lightweight tripod with a ball head. If you love where that takes you sell that DX gear at a small loss then Get the D600 and FX gear later. Full frame photography is super expensive and really only professionals need it.

So here we are 2 days later and I've read for hours,youtubed videos on lenses for full frame cameras and now finally know which lenses that I would like to buy. Yikes this is getting expensive, not only do I need these lenses but also a dslr bag, neck strap, tripod, fast speed memory cards, Lightroom 4, uv filters, lens cleaning kits.
Wowza... I don't mind the research needed to find what I'm looking for in each of those categories. But jeez, you find that u need nice speed memory cards, cool so that's $85 each. A nice lowepro pack, another $100, Lightroom 4 $100, a tripod.. But any old tripod will do right?..(Wrong) you need to make sure the tripod is sturdy enough to hold your gear, light enough to bring with you when traveling. I look up nice tripods and find they run for $400+

I was in the same place you were a couple of weeks ago. D700, D7000, Canon 5D, D600. I ended up taking advantage of the D600 bundle for $2000. The only other items I have bought are the memory card, the filter, and a camera bag. I too am just starting out.

Battery grip? Why?
External flash when you are just starting out? Why?
Very fast memory cards? Why?
Lens cleaning kits right now? Why?
Tripod? WHY?

You're spending WAY more at this point than you should. Learn the camera. Learn the art of photography. Have fun with it. If you really get into it then you can buy each item as you need but there is no reason to do so right now.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. It's good you aren't buying those items right now but realize you can take advantage of eBay or CL instead of buying all of those brand new and top model. Just have fun.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Damn that's a lot of money. I was feeling bad for picking up a 5n with a few lenses. Btw i recommend a nex camera for anyone starting out. Great quality and small enough that you dont feel weird carrying it around learning about photography.

dmshaposv

I hope you are not planning to shoot video with your dslr - because you'll enter a world of expenses far beyond you even stated.

Edit: mind you I mean semi-professional video (short film, mini doc style). You can of course shoot youtube-level video anytime and anywhere.

cbox

Arrived today, can't wait to see what this thing can do compared to my nifty fifty, and my 30 yr old 1.7 manual lens.

rDmcB.jpg

tino

Banned
Damn, you start looking looking at the D3200 then jump all the way to D600!? I think the D600 will be much more camera than you need. I'd say start with the D3200 with kit lenses plus 35mm F/1.8 plus a lightweight tripod with a ball head. If you love where that takes you sell that DX gear at a small loss then Get the D600 and FX gear later. Full frame photography is super expensive and really only professionals need it.

Start with a $150 used 450D or D60. ;)

Start with a $150 used 450D or D60. ;)

I like that idea. I look for cheap micro 4/3'ed cameras every once in a while for a smaller back up to my Nikon D300 with Sigma 24-70mm lens which is quite the package to lug around when you just want to take some nice snaps.

Tigel

Ok GAF, I need advices...

I use a Canon T3i and I'm looking to upgrade my 18-55 kit lens. Right now, I've narrowed it down to 2 alternatives:

• A new Tamron 17-55 f2.8 (the non VC/IS version)
  • A used Canon 17-50 f/2.8

I can get the Tamron for like 350$ on eBay(sub-question: Is it safe? ie: do I have a higher chance of getting a "bad" lens. I've read a few stories about that Tamron where people had to exchange their lens 2 to 3 times before getting a good one)

The Canon is like 800$ used... But it has IS (I don't know how useful it is with a 17-50 focal range honestly) and makes way less noise when focusing (a big plus for me). I've heard people say that this lens is prone to collect dust though.

I'm really torn between those two and I don't know if the ~400$ Canon difference (for a used) is justifiable.
What do you say?

Ok GAF, I need advices...

I use a Canon T3i and I'm looking to upgrade my 18-55 kit lens. Right now, I've narrowed it down to 2 alternatives:

• A new Tamron 17-55 f2.8 (the non VC/IS version)
  • A used Canon 17-50 f/2.8

I can get the Tamron for like 350$ on eBay(sub-question: Is it safe? ie: do I have a higher chance of getting a "bad" lens. I've read a few stories about that Tamron where people had to exchange their lens 2 to 3 times before getting a good one)

The Canon is like 800$ used... But it has IS (I don't know how useful it is with a 17-50 focal range honestly) and makes way less noise when focusing (a big plus for me). I've heard people say that this lens is prone to collect dust though.

I'm really torn between those two and I don't know if the ~400$ Canon difference (for a used) is justifiable.
What do you say?

In my opinion the Canon is too expensive. And you won't be able to use it if some day you decide to upgrade your body to full frame.

For the price of the Canon you can get the Tamron and a fast prime lens, like the Sigma 30mm 1.4, which will give you more creative possibilities.

IllumiNate

I was in the same place you were a couple of weeks ago. D700, D7000, Canon 5D, D600. I ended up taking advantage of the D600 bundle for $2000. The only other items I have bought are the memory card, the filter, and a camera bag. I too am just starting out.

Battery grip? Why?
External flash when you are just starting out? Why?
Very fast memory cards? Why?
Lens cleaning kits right now? Why?
Tripod? WHY?

You're spending WAY more at this point than you should. Learn the camera. Learn the art of photography. Have fun with it. If you really get into it then you can buy each item as you need but there is no reason to do so right now.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. It's good you aren't buying those items right now but realize you can take advantage of eBay or CL instead of buying all of those brand new and top model. Just have fun.

How are u enjoying yours? Did u read the manual and figure everything out? How are u liking the 24-85mm? Have u decided if you'll get another lens? If so what are u leaning towards?

How are u enjoying yours? Did u read the manual and figure everything out? How are u liking the 24-85mm? Have u decided if you'll get another lens? If so what are u leaning towards?

I am loving it. I am planning on taking a class at the local community college. Spent a lot of time reading about aperture, Iso, FStop. I still feel clueless.

I like the lens and will keep it. Eventually I will get another but don't have any idea which one. Have been playing around with Lightroom trial and really enjoy it. I can definitely see why so many say that the best a newbie can do is to just go out and keep shooting. I know tons more now than prior to my purchase. The camera itself is awesome. I had a D7000 for a few days back in July but was never really impressed with it unlike the D600.

Tigel

In my opinion the Canon is too expensive. And you won't be able to use it if some day you decide to upgrade your body to full frame.

For the price of the Canon you can get the Tamron and a fast prime lens, like the Sigma 30mm 1.4, which will give you more creative possibilities.

Thanks for your answer.
Yes I do plan to upgrade to a full frame body eventually, maybe also even keep my T3i if I ever need a smaller, lighter body. For what I've seen, while the Tamron 17-55 can be mounted on a FF camera, it it designed to work with an APS-C sized sensor, so i guess that even when ai upgrade, I will only use this lens on my T3i.

mrkgoo

I have a question for BLueTsunami specifcally, or anyone else who has replaced a focus screen.

I've found it necessary to remove my focus screen on my 7D (which I understand is different and has an extra retainer that you have to remove first) to clean a bug (I have no idea how it got up in the prism box).

I followed the katzeye optics guide:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install_12.pdf

Anyway, they speak of a gold shim that sits above the focus screen between the screen and the housing. Now I swear I saw two of them in my 7D. Am I crazy? Or is one of them actually just the housing itself? Or maybe there are two and one sits on either side of the screen?

I was just wondering what you experience has been with replacing focus screens. I unclipped the wire clip, and the focus screen dropped down, and I can't remember if there was a shim on both sides or just in between.

Cheers.

tino

Banned
Well the thing is the Japan Market has nothing to do with the world market, just like in video games or consumer appliances or phone business.

If you want to get a sense what the world market like, a ranking list from US, EU or China would look alot closer to the world wide most popular mirrorless cameras.

Also EOS M was for sale for less than 2 months? Look the Pentax Q is on the top 10, this list is useless.

Well the thing is the Japan Market has nothing to do with the world market, just like in video games or consumer appliances or phone business.

If you want to get a sense what the world market like, a ranking list from US, EU or China would look alot closer to the world wide most popular mirrorless cameras.

Also EOS M was for sale for less than 2 months? Look the Pentax Q is on the top 10, this list is useless.

Still, for whatever reason, Japan keeps better track of camera sales than in other markets. And save for Samsung, it's where all the major camera manufacturers are located.

What? The Japanese camera market is still huge and a part of their culture in a way different to the West. You can simply look at the fact that all the largest electronics retailers are generally camera stores (Yodabashi, Bic, etc.) Also, most camera makers (outside of Leica and Samsung) are still headquartered in Japan and want to do well in their home market.

I'm guessing you're dismissing this list because your company of choice doesn't do well: that's kind of silly.

tino

Banned
What? The Japanese camera market is still huge and a part of their culture in a way different to the West. You can simply look at the fact that all the largest electronics retailers are generally camera stores (Yodabashi, Bic, etc.) Also, most camera makers (outside of Leica and Samsung) are still headquartered in Japan and want to do well in their home market.

I'm guessing you're dismissing this list because your company of choice doesn't do well: that's kind of silly.

The point of what I waid was: whats popular in Japan has no relevent whats popular in the world and where the market is going.

Look Pentax Q is on the list, does it mean Pentax is making money with this POS and they will make more focus free toy lens for it? No!

Why did you bring in the lame fanboy argument. I have no alligance to any brand. What the hell is my company of choice anyway?

Hmmm

I might get a 430 EX II Flash as a gift from a friend, I have never used a non-built in flash (T3I), would it make my photos significantly better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom