• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, I'm interested in getting the Sony SLT-A65 but was thinking, is it worth getting it today or should I wait for their new SLT cameras that will replace the A-65 and A-77?

I have a question, I'm interested in getting the Sony SLT-A65 but was thinking, is it worth getting it today or should I wait for their new SLT cameras that will replace the A-65 and A-77?

Unless you want it right now, I'd wait since there will at least be good deals on the outgoing models. You shouldn't have to wait long since apparently the new cameras are being announced later this month.

tino

Banned

Wait for Sony announce the two FF NEX bodies in a few weeks. If the FF NEX bodies are really call A7, A7r, that means they are not going to update the A77. The APSC alpha market will take a nose dive and you can picked up used A mount gears for cheap.

Flo_Evans

DigitalRevTV tests the Sony QX100 (the lens/sensor thingie for mobile phones):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jgKD2ascc

Kai Wong's take: "Piece of shit"

Such a strange product. Solves one problem (getting pics to phone) that can be done slightly slower already, and introduces a huge problem of being a laggy piece of crap for actually taking photos.

Phone cameras are already so good that a slighter better camera/lens that works 10x slower is a real head scratcher.

Forsete

Wait a bit.

New mirrorless (no more SLT) A-mount cameras are apparantly in the works.

Zyzyxxz

Wait a bit.

New mirrorless (no more SLT) A-mount cameras are apparantly in the works.

Pretty much this, I believe the new A3000 was a sign that it may just get rid of the Alpha line of cameras and go with NEX in DSLR bodies instead.

Also GX7 coming in the mail tomorrow! Can't wait to use it for my upcoming Chicago trip with the new 20mm 1.7 I recently bought as well.

Is anyone here familiar with tamron's rebate schedule?

I've been wanting to purchase a 17-50 non VC for my rebel t2i. I see that right now its $499 and I would qualify for an EPP rebate of $100. I'm not in a rush to buy, and I'm wondering if that's a good price or will there be a normal rebate I can stack with that to get it cheaper? Will that $100 rebate disappear soon, since the form makes no mention of how long the discount is valid?

I know a friend got his for roughly $350 new but that was a while ago.

edit: should clarify-right now there's no normal rebate for it (current ones end on the 31st) but there is a $100 epp rebate.

Radec

Pretty much this, I believe the new A3000 was a sign that it may just get rid of the Alpha line of cameras and go with NEX in DSLR bodies instead.

They won't do that though. Not with they still keep making Alpha lenses.

The A3000 is still a nex with a body like an Alpha. Still uses the e-mount and its lenses.

The upcoming A7/A7r are full frame e-mounts.

tino

Banned
They won't do that though. Not with they still keep making Alpha lenses.

The A3000 is still a nex with a body like an Alpha. Still uses the e-mount and its lenses.

The upcoming A7/A7r are full frame e-mounts.

The A3000 is an obvious replacement of the entry level DSLR airbus series. The A7/A7r duo, if names are true, are taking over the A77 name space. The logical conclusion is Sony is not planning to make an A mount A77 successor.

Sony may make a couple more mid tier APSC A body like the Olympus E620 E30 ala the last 4/3 bodies.

As for Sony's lens stradegy, why don't they make more NEX lens until now?

Flo_Evans

Rage... Mounting.

Ugh I am pissed. My 17-35 2.8 is broken again. It seems like this lens is just too awesome for other people to use and return in working order.

Lucky for me nikon we repair it again for free cause I just paid $600 to get it fixed. I am starting to think though this lens is either FUBAR or cursed.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Guys. I have a decision to make.

Either a 24-70 Nikon alone . Or a 24-70 Sigma And a 50 1.4 together

They work out to be about the same price, a little cheaper. But I'm wondering if the Nikon 24-70 is really worth the extra price.

Flo_Evans

The nikon 24-70 is an amazing lens that is totally unnecessary. It is not very wide and not long enough for portraits. I would only buy this if I had an extra $2k sitting around.

Get a wide zoom, the 50 1.4 and a tele zoom.

The nikon 24-70 is an amazing lens that is totally unnecessary. It is not very wide and not long enough for portraits. I would only buy this if I had an extra $2k sitting around.

You can do portraits at 50mm and 70mm on a full-frame. I rented a 24-70 to shoot my friends' wedding; was great, aside from the size and weight. I think it's unnecessary if you don't need the versatility of that zoom range.

I wouldn't buy one without trying one.

diaspora

Fucking well. Adencamera has the 6D body for $1675 in store, but it's not listed on their site, you have to call for them to tell you the price. Not wanting to go downtown, I go to best buy to get it there (pricematch). The clerk calls aden, and in a fit of insanity says she's calling from bestbuy, which prompts the guy at aden to say that he can't say the price over the phone despite the website explicitly saying to call the store to get the instore pricing. Son of a bitch.

Flo_Evans

You can do portraits at 50mm and 70mm on a full-frame. I rented a 24-70 to shoot my friends' wedding; was great, aside from the size and weight. I think it's unnecessary if you don't need the versatility of that zoom range.

I wouldn't buy one without trying one.

You can do allot of stuff, doesn't mean it will work out well. :p

Nikons 85, 105, or 135 portrait lenses will kick the shit out of this zoom. Sure it will work but why spend $2000 on a lens that produces "acceptable" results?

My father owns one, I've used it extensively. Would not buy, unless I had every other lens I ever wanted.

My father owns one, I've used it extensively. Would not buy, unless I had every other lens I ever wanted.

Oh, me too. But I can imagine photographic work that it would make sense for - e.g. event photography. The comment about portraits was just to challenge the conventional wisdom about what focal lengths are required for portraiture.

Flo_Evans

Oh, me too. But I can imagine photographic work that it would make sense for - e.g. event photography. The comment about portraits was just to challenge the conventional wisdom about what focal lengths are required for portraiture.

Maybe in the daytime. 2.8 is still too slow for wedding receptions. The nikon version still doesn't have VR. I was just at one last night in a dimly lit private club. Had to use the 50 1.4. The pro photographers where all rocking canon 50mm 1.2s.

The 24-70 is a great lens don't get me wrong, but if the guy doesn't have a fast 50 he should absolutely buy that first. It's a "luxury" lens that can do a lot, but at the same time is limited in what it can do.

Maybe in the daytime. 2.8 is still too slow for wedding receptions.

Why wouldn't you use a flash? I have never been to an indoor wedding reception in which available light was used instead of flash by the official wedding photographer, regardless of the lens. When I've taken personal photos at friends' weddings, it has been with fast primes and bounced flash.

I am not disagreeing with you about buying the fast 50 first, but reading other photography forums suggests the 24-70 and 70-200 are common lenses for pro wedding photographers using Nikon.

diaspora

I just picked up a 6D body new for $1600. The low light performance jump from the 2005 APS-C Rebel XT (EOS 350d) to this is just...I can't even

Guys. I have a decision to make.

Either a 24-70 Nikon alone . Or a 24-70 Sigma And a 50 1.4 together

They work out to be about the same price, a little cheaper. But I'm wondering if the Nikon 24-70 is really worth the extra price.

If on a full-frame body, I would recommend taking a look at the 35-70 2.8d as a possible contender to save money for a midrange zoom. Can be found for about $300 used. Incredibly sharp older midrange zoom.

Hmmmm.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-full-size-images-of-the-a7-and-a7r-cameras-with-lenses/

UdfvSDG.jpg

GquzN0y.jpg

I'm worried about native lenses, but it sounds like Sony is going to be going after users interested in using adapters.

tino

Banned
Hmmmm.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-full-size-images-of-the-a7-and-a7r-cameras-with-lenses/

UdfvSDG.jpg

GquzN0y.jpg

I'm worried about native lenses, but it sounds like Sony is going to be going after users interested in using adapters.

It looks like its similar size to NEX7+EVF+10-18mm.

I am glad Sony decided to go with a giant EVF. I won't second guess my decision to go with Fuji. In no circumstance would I consider a camera with the fake prism. Now I just need to concentrate on taking pictures.

Hopefully Fuji will make a FF X100 a couple years down the road (that looks like a X100), that's the only thing I want.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Been a while since I've had to look at cameras, but I'm leaving my current job that supplied a Canon 5D for one that expects me to have one of my own. I'm on http://www.dpreview.com/ and I'm running some comparisions. But I figure y'all probably have some great advice too. If I may, I have a few questions.

1) I need a camera that I can shoot 1080p video. Something above the quality of a rebel (unless those have increased in quality since the T2i) but not necessarily $5,000 worth of quality.

2) Looking at maybe augmenting the camera with a mirrorless for my backup. Do they make a mirrorless compact that can wield the same lenses as a full-sized DSLR?

3) Any good places outside of Amazon to buy bodies and lenses?

RuGalz

2) You have to adapt the lenses. If you are sticking with Canon, EOS M is probably it. The only manufacture that have a mirrorless that uses regular lens is Pentax K-01, however, it means the body can't be as small as others. But you may find this blog interesting.

3) B&H, Adorama are good alternatives.

Been a while since I've had to look at cameras, but I'm leaving my current job that supplied a Canon 5D for one that expects me to have one of my own. I'm on http://www.dpreview.com/ and I'm running some comparisions. But I figure y'all probably have some great advice too. If I may, I have a few questions.

1) I need a camera that I can shoot 1080p video. Something above the quality of a rebel (unless those have increased in quality since the T2i) but not necessarily $5,000 worth of quality.

2) Looking at maybe augmenting the camera with a mirrorless for my backup. Do they make a mirrorless compact that can wield the same lenses as a full-sized DSLR?

3) Any good places outside of Amazon to buy bodies and lenses?

(._.)

Banned
Does anybody here have any experience with flashes? I will be using mine with a nikon f2. I heard there is a simple adapter you can get that will let you use mostly any nikon flash on an F2 body. Also heard vivtar makes some good older nikon flashes for the F3 and F4 that will work on an F2 with an adapter. There is just so much information on so many flashes over the years. I don't need anything fancy. I'll worry about metering through experimenting. Just need it to have a swivel head and work well at distances of at least 20 feet away at iso 200 or so. This is what I'm concerned about. I want flexibility. I want to use it with different ISOs and distances and not lose light. Using it mostly with a 35mm and 50mm lens though. I've heard zoom flashes are hit or miss but I'm not sure. Probably be using it indoors too during house shows and in pits. What's a decent old flash that would work excellent on an F2 that doesn't cost much more than $70?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
2) You have to adapt the lenses. If you are sticking with Canon, EOS M is probably it. The only manufacture that have a mirrorless that uses regular lens is Pentax K-01, however, it means the body can't be as small as others. But you may find this blog interesting.

3) B&H, Adorama are good alternatives.

Argh. I was hoping against hope that they'd at least have a mirrorless with a viewfinder. I'd buy a midrange DSLR for work and use that as the backup. I suppose it's only a matter of time though.

Thanks for the info. The search continues...ha.

Radec

RX10:
- 1 inch sensor camera
- fixed 24-200mm f/2.8 constant aperture lens
- $1298

24-200 f/2.8 constant ??

Hmmmm.

UdfvSDG.jpg

GquzN0y.jpg

- A7 has 24 Megapixel sensor with Phase detecion AF
- A7r has 36 Megapixel with no on sensor Phase detection and no Anti Aliasing filter for maximum sharpness
- A7 body costs $1698 and $1998 with 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens. A7r costs $2198 body only.
- Both cameras have a fixed OLED EVF with 2,4 million dot resolution. It’s the same used by the Olympus E-M1
- AF speed is faster than the RX series.
- Takes SD cards and uses the NEX battery
- A7/A7r Body is weather sealed
- 1/8000 shutter speed
- titlable LCD screen
- focus peaking
- Built-in Wifi and NFC
- Playmemories Camera Apps
- The menu interface is the same as the RX series (and not the one used by NEX cameras).
- optional vertical grip
- New LAEA Full Frame A to E-mount adapter
- Current NEX APS-C lenses will work in crop mode or Full Frame mode (with heavy vignetting or dark corners)

New FE lenses:
Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS
Sony G 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8
Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8
Zeiss FE 70-200mm f/4.0 OSS (coming early 2014)
many more lenses coming the next 12 months (including fast primes).

Those lenses are gonna be expensive :/

tino

Banned
Does anybody here have any experience with flashes? I will be using mine with a nikon f2. I heard there is a simple adapter you can get that will let you use mostly any nikon flash on an F2 body. Also heard vivtar makes some good older nikon flashes for the F3 and F4 that will work on an F2 with an adapter. There is just so much information on so many flashes over the years. I don't need anything fancy. I'll worry about metering through experimenting. Just need it to have a swivel head and work well at distances of at least 20 feet away at iso 200 or so. This is what I'm concerned about. I want flexibility. I want to use it with different ISOs and distances and not lose light. Using it mostly with a 35mm and 50mm lens though. I've heard zoom flashes are hit or miss but I'm not sure. Probably be using it indoors too during house shows and in pits. What's a decent old flash that would work excellent on an F2 that doesn't cost much more than $70?

Get a Yongnuo YN580 II or YN580 III. Don't get the Vivitar 285. If its a used Vivitar 285 for $30 then yes but don't buy the new one. They are garbage.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
That Zeiss FE 70-200/4 is gonna make me go hnnnng. Already offering good constant f4 zooms out the gate. Seems like Sony learned.

tino

Banned
They are really putting the Zeiss logos on the 55/1.8 and the 35/2.8? So Sony is really saying they are not going to release any faster 55mm and 35mm lens. These are spec of the lowest end fixed lens. You can't even buy 35mm/2.8 from Canon or Nikon anymore. You have to start with a 35mm/2.0.

My next camera will be the A7. (I've been using a NEX-7 for a year-plus.) It ain't pretty, but it's what's inside that counts. I've been waiting for a camera like that for a long time. Glad I kept my M-Hexanon 50/2, and I'll probably be buying a Biogon 35/2 ZM - or a Distagon 35/2.8.

Sorry, Fuji. We almost had a thing going.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah, those Zeiss lenses are quite pricey. The price in context though the Zeiss 35/2.8 Biogon ZM is around $800 too. Although you would think Sony would be like Fuji and start off with some solid midrange stuff.

But anyways, I'm in it for the adaptability. Should be fun putting the CV 15/4.5 on those bodies barring any really bad corner performance.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was looking for a good low-lighting lens for my Nikon D7000, found this one being recommended Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4 G ED N Aspherical. 2000$ :eek:

So my question, the current lens I have is the DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G.

Basically what I am looking for is a lens with a low f-stop that performs well in low lighting conditions (faster shutter speed, wider aperture).

<---Noob

Thanks for any help:)

I was looking for a good low-lighting lens for my Nikon D7000, found this one being recommended Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4 G ED N Aspherical. 2000$ :eek:

So my question, the current lens I have is the DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G.

Basically what I am looking for is a lens with a low f-stop that performs well in low lighting conditions (faster shutter speed, wider aperture).

<---Noob

2 best for the money.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0

If you want really wide:
http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-AT-X116PRDXN-11-16mm-Ultra-wide-Angle/dp/B0014Z5XM/

<---Noob

New Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 zoom ($800). It's the next lens on my list.

The $2000 24mm is overkill unless you are using a full frame camera and getting paid to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom