• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
If your lens is less than $500 or condition less than "mint" you don't really need to protect the lens.

I only put a UV filter on mine because I saw a deal on Amazon that sell the Tiffen filter for literally 0.01 a piece lol. If you are in NYC I can give you an extra 58mm UV filter.

(._.)

Banned
I need a flash for my Nikon F2. Anybody have experience with flashes and film cameras? Going to put a soft box on mine.

diaspora

Would $799.99 for a 7D body new be a reasonable price? I know the camera is 3 years old but it seems like a better idea than the T5i I tried out for the AF features and speed alone.

Does anyone have any experience with a tripod arm?

More specifically this Vanguard one. I'm wanting to do a lot more overhead shots and I'm wondering if Vanguard is a good brand or if I should spend 25 more dollars buying the Manfrotto equivalent.

31yOqrGwy1L._SX385_.jpg

RoKKeR

Holy moly! Just got my Joby UltraFit Sling Strap. This thing is AMAZING. Absolutely amazing. Completely changes my walk-around camera use, it's beautiful. So well thought out and designed. It's functional, simple, reliable, convenient, the whole lot.

God damn, what a great purchase. Thanks to whoever recommended it on the last page.

tino

Banned
Holy moly! Just got my Joby UltraFit Sling Strap. This thing is AMAZING. Absolutely amazing. Completely changes my walk-around camera use, it's beautiful. So well thought out and designed. It's functional, simple, reliable, convenient, the whole lot.

God damn, what a great purchase. Thanks to whoever recommended it on the last page.

Meh, doesn't look like you can carry another over-the-shoulder bag with this setup.

How much did you pay for it?

RoKKeR

Meh, doesn't look like you can carry another over-the-shoulder bag with this setup.

How much did you pay for it?
I did today for a fair I was shooting. I'm on MobileGAF right now but the bag is a Lowepro 102W. The straps run parallel and it works really well. Had no issues.

And I paid $30 for it.

Damaged

Anyone got a suggestion for a cheap point and shoot that ideally shoots in raw? I'm off to Japan next year and need something can pocket for nights out. Ill be taking my DSLR and my Bronica medium format so all it needs to do really is fit in my pocket and take reasonable shots when out at night in bars and clubs. I'm in the Uk if that helps

Anyone got a suggestion for a cheap point and shoot that ideally shoots in raw? I'm off to Japan next year and need something can pocket for nights out. Ill be taking my DSLR and my Bronica medium format so all it needs to do really is fit in my pocket and take reasonable shots when out at night in bars and clubs. I'm in the Uk if that helps

What's your budget? Cheap doesn't quite explain it.

tino

Banned

Cameras that can take picture "at night in bars and clubs" are not cheap.

And the reason most P&S don't give you RAW its because their RAW look like disaster, plus need heavy distortion correction.

Damaged

What's your budget? Cheap doesn't quite explain it.

Under £200 ideally

Cameras that can take picture "at night in bars and clubs" are not cheap.

And the reason most P&S don't give you RAW its because their RAW look like disaster, plus need heavy distortion correction.

Right so it's not worth bothering with raw on a p&s then? I'm not expecting dslr quality here, I have looked at the Canon S110 and that seems pretty good but it's a bit out of my budget

tino

Banned
Under £200 ideally

Right so it's not worth bothering with raw on a p&s then? I'm not expecting dslr quality here, I have looked at the Canon S110 and that seems pretty good but it's a bit out of my budget

The budget is too low... Here in the US you can get the cheapest M43 body and kit lens for about $200.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Under £200 ideally

You can get a used d Ricoh GR 3 for $260 on Keh. Its a fixed focal length lens P&S though 28mm f1.9) but shoots RAW (DNG)

Forsete

Used my A900 today, must have been a year since I last used it. Damn, full frame is nice. Too bad its such a beast to carry around, thats why my NEX wins out 9 times out of 10. :p

Still, daylight A900 shots are unmatched. Dat dynamic range.

Damaged

The budget is too low... Here in the US you can get the cheapest M43 body and kit lens for about $200.

I already have a Nikon D7000 and a Bronica ETRS that will be going with me. An M43 no matter how nice they are (and I do rate them) is not a pocket point and shoot. All I'm after is effectively the best of a bad bunch of sub £200 point and shoots so I don't have to lug a DSLR on a night out. I know it wont compete with a m43 and im not asking for it to.

You can get a used d Ricoh GR 3 for $260 on Keh. Its a fixed focal length lens P&S though 28mm f1.9) but shoots RAW (DNG)

This looks cool but its going for about £300 used here :(

tino

Banned
I already have a Nikon D7000 and a Bronica ETRS that will be going with me. An M43 no matter how nice they are (and I do rate them) is not a pocket point and shoot. All I'm after is effectively the best of a bad bunch of sub £200 point and shoots so I don't have to lug a DSLR on a night out. I know it wont compete with a m43 and im not asking for it to.

This looks cool but its going for about £300 used here :(

The only option that meet your requirement is Ricoh GR. Your budget doesn't matter because there is no other option, period.

Zyzyxxz

Alright just pre-ordered the Panasonic GX7 and got a new Panny 20mm 1.7 coming in teh mail as well! Excited although dropping a grand on new camera stuff is always bittersweet.

I think I'll be happy with it for quite some time, my GF2 was severely limited the day I bought it when I compared it to my D90 but it'll be good to have a decent body again.

Bollocks

Pulled the trigger on the Manfrotto BeFree tripod.
Needed a tripod and since I'm mostly doing outdoor stuff, figured this is the best option.

I recently got my first DSLR camera a few weeks ago. It's the EOS 60D and it came with a Tamron lens(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FN1W28/?tag=neogaf0e-20).

And I'm thinking of selling my Tamron and getting this Canon lens(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y794O/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

The reason I'm asking is cause my brother is getting an EOS 70D and he gets a $300 discount on the Canon zoom lens. And he actually doesn't want to start with a zoom lens, instead would rather get a nice prime and wide lens. So I'm wondering if the Canon lens would be considered an upgrade?

I recently got my first DSLR camera a few weeks ago. It's the EOS 60D and it came with a Tamron lens(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FN1W28/?tag=neogaf0e-20).

And I'm thinking of selling my Tamron and getting this Canon lens(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y794O/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

The reason I'm asking is cause my brother is getting an EOS 70D and he gets a $300 discount on the Canon zoom lens. And he actually doesn't want to start with a zoom lens, instead would rather get a nice prime and wide lens. So I'm wondering if the Canon lens would be considered an upgrade?

What price would you be getting the Canon lens at? It also depends if you think you'll miss the 18-70mm focal range on the short end (my guess is you will) as opposed to the 30mm on the long range. You will gain some better stoppage in the Canon lens but I don't think that's as important yet as your new to DSLR's it seems. The Tamron will net you about $280-$330 depending on where and how you sell it as well.

What price would you be getting the Canon lens at? It also depends if you think you'll miss the 18-70mm focal range on the short end (my guess is you will) as opposed to the 30mm on the long range. You will gain some better stoppage in the Canon lens but I don't think that's as important yet as your new to DSLR's it seems. The Tamron will net you about $280-$330 depending on where and how you sell it as well.
Before tax, it should be about $328

You are going to be very limited with just that focal range, especially on a crop sensor.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll hang on to the Tamron.

Yeah, I think that's your best bet until you figure out what you want to shoot on a regular basis. It'll come to you in time and with some experience. I just recently settled on my best set-up and that was after switching things up a few times fine tuning my setup over the last few years.

Lumix

I was mulling between this and a Fujifilm X100s.
However, I felt that I needed a camera that was discreet & pocketable compared to my LX5 & GX1.

So, I went with the Ricoh GR instead.

Groof

Man the Direct Upload app for the NEX cameras is pure hot garbage. Like for real. It's faster to just transfer the files to a smartphone and upload them through that.

RoKKeR

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'll post it anyways.

So this weekend I'm shooting my first ever sporting event for the school paper, Vanderbilt University's homecoming football game vs. Missouri on Saturday night. Kind of intimidating and nerve wracking but I'm excited. I'll be using one of the school's Canon 300mm f/2.8 L's on my 60D which I'm going to nerd out over, but I'm looking for some general tips/advice for shooting sporting events and how to handle the 300m.

Really appreciate it in advance.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'll post it anyways.

So this weekend I'm shooting my first ever sporting event for the school paper, Vanderbilt University's homecoming football game vs. Missouri on Saturday night. Kind of intimidating and nerve wracking but I'm excited. I'll be using one of the school's Canon 300mm f/2.8 L's on my 60D which I'm going to nerd out over, but I'm looking for some general tips/advice for shooting sporting events and how to handle the 300m.

Really appreciate it in advance.

You should use a monopod for stability. It will help with the weight of the lens. The single biggest thing to do when shooting a sporting event is anticipating the action on the field. Understanding the game itself helps a lot with this. When you know the rules or understand plays (especially true for football which is often a well orchestrated machine) you can better see what action may occur. Don't get too nervous either. Shooting your first sporting event the school paper is the perfect forum to figure things out. That's what school is for. Have fun. Shooting sports is a blast and so much action happens that your bound to get at least one useable shot. Good luck and hopefully some people have less nebulous advice than what I offered.

RoKKeR

You should use a monopod for stability. It will help with the weight of the lens. The single biggest thing to do when shooting a sporting event is anticipating the action on the field. Understanding the game itself helps a lot with this. When you know the rules or understand plays (especially true for football which is often a well orchestrated machine) you can better see what action may occur. Don't get too nervous either. Shooting your first sporting event the school paper is the perfect forum to figure things out. That's what school is for. Have fun. Shooting sports is a blast and so much action happens that your bound to get at least one useable shot. Good luck and hopefully some people have less nebulous advice than what I offered.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to see if they have a monopod lying around that I could use. I'm a football follower I suppose so the idea of "anticipation" is great, definitely something I'll keep in mind.

SEC football, big stadium, big lights, I'm pumped.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to see if they have a monopod lying around that I could use. I'm a football follower I suppose so the idea of "anticipation" is great, definitely something I'll keep in mind.

SEC football, big stadium, big lights, I'm pumped.

Sounds like a blast. Definitely enjoy it. Nothing quite like being on the field.

Forsete

Never saw the point of it.

If its an extra device to take along, why not make that device an real camera which can be powered on and used in 1 second or less?

RoKKeR

All set and ready to go for the game tonight!

Got to play around with this thing for a few minutes beforehand. Sweet jesus, what a lens. Amazing to use. Heavy as hell, thankfully we had a monopod lying around.

Wish me luck!

tino

Banned
Zeiss announced the new high re 55mm 1.4ful frame lens will be retailed at 3999 USD. You got to give it to Zeiss, they do not care what the peasants think.

RuGalz

A bit overdue but seems like Ricoh was serious when acquiring Pentax, already fixing many things Hoya wasn't able to or didn't care enough to do. In some ways, finally catching up to competitors; in the others, surpassing them for cameras in the same class. I guess flash system will be next thing to fix.

Pentax K-3 DPReview
Pentax K-3 Imaging Resource
front-reflection2.jpg

* 24.4 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
* Sensor-shift image stabilization with rotational compensation
* Anti-aliasing 'simulator' (camera has no optical low-pass filter)
* SAFOX 11 TTL autofocus system (27-point, 25 of which are cross-type)
* AF sensitivity -3 to 20 EV
* 86k pixels multi-pattern white balance
* Pentaprism optical viewfinder with 0.95x magnification, 100% coverage
* 8.3 fps continuous shooting
* 1920 x 1080 video recording (60i, 30p, 24p)
* Dual SD card slots

In addition, hell yes, glad I sold the non-weather sealed version of this lens. Now my travel kit will be complete.
HD Pentax DA 55-300mm WR
pentax_hd_55-300mm_wr_small.jpg

Groof

Got my FD to E-mount lens adapter in the mail today. The adapter itself felt high quality, it was sturdy but it's quite hefty, made out of metal and has a non-removable tripod mount on it.
Was a bit finicky getting the lenses on at first, but they fit like a glove. Works great with the old lenses! Can't wait to try out these new-old lenses :)

tino

Banned
More like annoying.

Anyway, Nikon just released their fix for the D600.

They "fixed" it by cowardly discontinue it in a hurry. This shutter oil gate is a major blow to Nikon's quality control IMO.

What?

Kai is awesome. Super funny, and he speaks his mind.

This guy is really annoying to me. Watching the video you can't even tell if he like photography, or just like to be on camera. His British accent is worthy of a Die Hard villain.

In other news I dumped my second to last F moumt lens and ordered a Fuji 55-200mm. I am fully commited to XF mount until I can buy a FF mirrorless for reasonable price 3 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom