• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is fantastic — autofocus is much improved, and i can't believe that manual focus actually works now. feeling pretty good about my decision to get an x100 for less than half price just before the x100s came out.

I'm in the same boat. So glad I decided to "slum" it with the x100. Also, Fuji is an amazing company for this and now has a lifelong consumer because of it. A major firmware upgrade for a discontinued model? Phenomenal service.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fuji really listens and acts, not just with firmware updates way above and beyond consumer expectation, but with their followup product models, too. Looking at the X100 to the X100S, and the X-E1 to the X-E2, they have addressed so many deficiencies and quirks that the enthusiasts in the photography community have complained about.

The X100S is the second iteration and it feels just about perfectly refined, and the X100 1.0 is a joke compared to where the same camera is now just from firmware updates. They really have nowhere to go now for an X100S followup other than full frame. Same thing with the X system line now that the lens road map only has the 56mm F1.2R remaining (which should be amazing...). The X-E2 isn't missing much of anything from a still photo perspective now that it's incorporating the X100S's phase detect sensor and is getting minimum shutter speeds for Auto ISO, 60fps EVF, and a few other important tweaks.

Basically Fuji can sit back and relax as far as the APS-C scene is concerned, but that isn't going to be good enough for long, with Sony pushing the non-Leica mirrorless sector into full frame territory, finally. Finaaaaally.

Fuji really listens and acts, not just with firmware updates way above and beyond consumer expectation, but with their followup product models, too. Looking at the X100 to the X100S, and the X-E1 to the X-E2, they have addressed so many deficiencies and quirks that the enthusiasts in the photography community have complained about.

The X100S is the second iteration and it feels just about perfectly refined, and the X100 1.0 is a joke compared to where the same camera is now just from firmware updates. They really have nowhere to go now for an X100S followup other than full frame. Same thing with the X system line now that the lens road map only has the 56mm F1.2R remaining (which should be amazing...). The X-E2 isn't missing much of anything from a still photo perspective now that it's incorporating the X100S's phase detect sensor and is getting minimum shutter speeds for Auto ISO, 60fps EVF, and a few other important tweaks.

Basically Fuji can sit back and relax as far as the APS-C scene is concerned, but that isn't going to be good enough for long, with Sony pushing the non-Leica mirrorless scene into full frame territory, finally. Finaaaaally.

I had no idea the EVF was that fast. I think I need to take a look at that system.

I'd also say Fuji probably isn't content to let Sony dominate in that market so I expect we will be getting some news down the line in regards to full frame. Maybe the X-Pro 2 and the already mentioned and rumored x200? Can't wait.

So, would the x100 be the more reasonable purchase over the x100s after this firmware update?

Depends on if the differences in the model are worth the price difference (generally about $500-$600 extra for the x100s).

Off the top of my head the x100s has the 16mp X-Trans sensor (there's debate whether this sensor is as good as the x100 12mp sensor and how the images are rendered). The x100s also has faster autofocus (after the current firmware update not sure of the difference in speed between the two). The x100s also has better high ISO capabilities and better manual focus (but again the new x100 firmware improved the manual focus drastically though improving it from worthless isn;t a high watermark to surpass). The x100s also has the Q menu which is easier to navigate than the x100 (though I noticed a drastic improvement in menu speed after this new firmware update and once you get used to the x100 it's not hard to navigate). There may be more but that's all I can think of right now. IMO not worth the price difference but if money isn't an issue then I'd go for the newer one. I can't really see the difference in the sensor images so that doesn't seem to be an issue for me. The x100 is an outstanding deal used right now as well.

tino

Banned
So, would the x100 be the more reasonable purchase over the x100s after this firmware update?

X100s has XTRAN sensor (much better low light), a couple control change, split image focus aide etc.

However a new X100 is only 750 from B&H, so.... make the decision yourself.

Don't forget you can get XE1 plus 18-55 for about 900.

edit: OMG I see the mint Black LE x100 deals are going for around 750 on ebay. I wish I haven't checked it. I just brought a 55-200, I have no money for this shit.

It'd be nice if Nikon took a page from their book. I have no idea if I send my D600 in whether they'll merely clean it or replace the lube-spewing-shutter.

MRORANGE

So looks like Nikon is jumping on FF bandwagon with a retro style camera:

Still a rumor:

Sony sure shook the market with their a7 full frame mirrorless camera. Many readers have asked me if Nikon will be coming with something similar. I have mentioned in the past that I expect a third mystery camera this year that will have a retro design (something like the Olympus OMD). The new full frame camera will most likely be mirrorless, but it will have some kind of a special (hybrid?) viewfinder. I am also not yet sure if it will have a regular F-mount or a newly designed mount. Here are the rumored specifications:

Nikon-FM2-like-digital-full-frame-camera-rumors.jpg

Nikon FM2 like design
16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
SD memory card
2016-pixel RGB image sensor
9-cell framing grid display
3D color matrix metering II
Native ISO range: 100-12800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
3.2" LCD screen
Battery:EN-EL14
Dimensions: 143,5 x 110 x 66,5mm
Weight: 765g

It will come with a new AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens (again, not clear what mount the new lens will have)
The announcement will be in the next 2-3 months, but it could happen as soon as next week during the PDN PhotoPlus show in New York. Stay tuned for more details.

Update - some additional specifications that will clarify some of the questions in this post:

Standard F-mount
Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)
The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
Expeed 3 processor
Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
The announcement most likely will take place in the next 1-3 weeks

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/b...orless-camera-coming-soon.aspx/#ixzz2iIrSfrbp

tino

Banned
That digital FM2 has probably 10% chance of being true because the fanboys has been asking something like that for decades.

If its indeed true then I expect Nikon charge you 4000 for the "special edition" hehe.

edit: ok so all the rumor sites are reporting it.

If its being announced 1-3 weeks then I give Nikon credit for having the best kept secret since... iPod nano?

Joe

is there a go-to online store for ordering prints? looking for a great price-to-quality ratio...

every local printer (chain pharmacies, walmart) has been crap.

Damaged

Okay if that nikon rumour is true I'm really going to have to think about that, loved my Fm2 and I'm still using my old fe. That era of nikon just feels right when I use them

tino

Banned
Has it occured to anybody that Sony's A7/55mm pricing policy is similar to the Vita/Vita memory card pricing policy? I can only make this joke in this forum.

tino

Banned
Except you can adapt lenses on A7, which I think majority of buyers plan to do.

Well you can make do with the bundled memory card too but I am sure Sony has done the math, lot of the people will buy exta card/Sony lens.

Wide angle MF lens (wider than 35mm) cast red shift and dark corners on the A7 bodies anyway

fatty

Was hoping you guys could help, I'm looking for a camera for video. At first I was searching for a camcorder but then with some research I saw all the recommendations for DSLRs because of the great DOF and larger sensors. With some more research I decided on the Sony NEX 6 (was at first contemplating the 5R). But after reading this thread and seeing the upcoming Sony a7, I'm not so sure.

For reference, my current camera is a Canon Rebel XSi which is a DSLR but does not do video. But in regards to photography skill level I am a beginner/novice.

My thinking with the Sony NEX 6 is that I will have a camera that does nice video, but also a great camera that is smaller than a DSLR that is then more likely to go with me when I travel.

I know one of the disadvantages is the selection of lenses, but I figure I could use always get an adapter, but I really don't see myself purchasing a whole lot of them at this point. I'm thinking the standard kit with the additional Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens will be good enough for me for a while. I still will have to purchase an audio recorder, mics and video editing software as well, so I don't want to spend too much yet.

Right now I'm leaning still toward this and not the newer a7 since I don't know a whole lot but please let me know if I'm missing something, or if I should go a different route. Amazon has this bundle on sale for $1046 which seems like a pretty good deal. Anyways, thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

tino

Banned
Even most movies don't use FF sensor to make video. I suggest you start with something cheaper and more stable with a good repubtation as a video camera like a Panasonic GH3, GH4 and start from there.

Well, found a good deal on a 5D Classic today so took the plunge. I've been waffling a bit on it but after playing with a Mark III recently I realized I wanted to shoot full frame as well. Should compliment my 7D nicely. It is pretty funny how "ancient" it is tech-wise compared to newer offerings.

de1irium

Well, found a good deal on a 5D Classic today so took the plunge. I've been waffling a bit on it but after playing with a Mark III recently I realized I wanted to shoot full frame as well. Should compliment my 7D nicely. It is pretty funny how "ancient" it is tech-wise compared to newer offerings.

I love my 5Dc. The ergonomics and tech are "ancient" but the files are so so nice. Even if I replace it in the future I'll probably still hold on to it for studio work.

fatty

Even most movies don't use FF sensor to make video. I suggest you start with something cheaper and more stable with a good repubtation as a video camera like a Panasonic GH3, GH4 and start from there.

I want to use the camera for photos also, but I am now researching the Panasonics per your suggestion. Thanks!

aparisi2274

Ok, so I dont really want to start a new thread for this, because I figure a bunch of you have to be using either one of these editing tools....

So, which is a better photo editor? Lightroom? or Aperture? Currently I am using Lightroom, and I like it, but was curious about Aperture... Any good?

Thanks All...

tino

Banned
Ok, so I dont really want to start a new thread for this, because I figure a bunch of you have to be using either one of these editing tools....

So, which is a better photo editor? Lightroom? or Aperture? Currently I am using Lightroom, and I like it, but was curious about Aperture... Any good?

Thanks All...

I only do Photoshop...with customized hotkeys. I don't want to spend any more time than I have to to manage the photos. I am like Ken Rockwell.

camera->jpeg->Photoshop->flickr

Thanks All...

Lightroom for the workflow and occasionally Photoshop for any extra touches needed.

Thraktor

Thanks All...

I use Aperture, but they're both great pieces of software and if you're happy with Lightroom I don't see any reason to switch.

Forsete

A7(R) seems to be getting some very positive first impressions. I hope it does well. MLFF needs more bodies. :)

Thanks All...

I do the Lightroom -> Photoshop thing. For me it works best.
Import and adjustments in LR, export to PS for resizing and all that stuff before I upload to Flickr.

I love Aperture. I don't like Lightroom's UI, but it is typically faster for a given operation on the same hardware and has more editing options.

After I've done my culling/filtering/editing in Aperture, I will use Silver Efex Pro or Colour Efex Pro on some images within Aperture.

I only use Photoshop for stitching panos and occasionally ridiculous frequency-seperation editing of faces.

So for the x 100 owners, is there any way to map the Fn or Raw button to show the autofocus point selection screen, it's driving me nuts having to let go off the lens for that button, I know that you can map a bunch of things to them but the AF SELECTION function is not showing up in the list for me.

Hey Gaf,

I need assistance on aquiring some gear. I do video mostly, and some photography. I need a stabilizer for my video works, I need a cheap one (the cheapest possible) what do you recomend ? My cam is 600D, and will be using with Samyang 14mm lens/50mm lens.

*Amazon/Ebay stores.

Hey Gaf,

I need assistance on aquiring some gear. I do video mostly, and some photography. I need a stabilizer for my video works, I need a cheap one (the cheapest possible) what do you recomend ? My cam is 600D, and will be using with Samyang 14mm lens/50mm lens.

*Amazon/Ebay stores.

Keep an eye on www.slickdeals.net

I saw a Nikon D3200 with stabilized lens on there for $380 a couple days ago.

RuGalz

Hey Gaf,

*Amazon/Ebay stores.

The lenses you use aren't stabilized to begin with...

Thraktor

It's not clear if he's talking about lenses or a separate rig.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a stabilizer rig (ie. like a steadycam, but much smaller and cheaper).

Hey Gaf,

*Amazon/Ebay stores.

Head over to the video and filmmaking thread, and you should get pointed in the right direction. It's not even that difficult to build one yourself, if you're so inclined.

I went to PhotoPlus over the weekend. I tried out a bunch of cameras and I figure this is as good a place as any to share my thoughts.

Panasonic GX7 - I wanted to like this, but the EVF just feels tiny, like the old accessory EVF for the GF1. It's nowhere near the same league as the one in the GH3, nor is it anywhere near as good as Sony, Fuji, or Olympus's finders.

Panasonic GM1 - It's amazing how small they've managed to get this one. It's too small for my hands, but it's super-cute. But the onscreen UI elements are really choppy and seem to be updated at a low framerate. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere.

Fujifilm X-E2 - Same body, new guts. It's snappy and smooth where the X-E1's EVF chopped and lagged. It feels just fine, but there's something plasticky about the build quality of the Fujis that makes me feel iffy. Fuji's implementation of focus peaking is weird, too: it uses very fine, silvery-white pixels that are almost impossible for me to pick out in the EVF.

Olympus E-P5 - Wow, this camera feels fantastic. It's so solid and smooth and just inspires tons of confidence in me where previous Pens didn't. The controls are great. I'd never get one, because it doesn't have an EVF, but it's lovely otherwise.

Oly E-M1 - Likewise, fantastically built with great controls. Nice EVF. I don't need a $1500 m4/3 camera, but if I was heavily invested in m4/3, I'd get this. When I heard the price of the camera, I said to myself that it better be built like a BMW for that price, and frankly, it is.

Nikon Coolpix A - I bought a Ricoh GR instead of this, and I hadn't had a chance to try it out yet. I was pleasantly surprised: the Coolpix is extremely well-built and feels polished. Controls feel great. The UI uses Nikon's philosophy, which is why I bought the Ricoh, but if I wasn't married to Ricoh this'd be a lovely camera (for about $300 less than it is now).

Sony A7/A7R - This camera is the next evolution of the NEX-7. All the design DNA is there, and there's been a lot of thought put into improving it. The EVF is gorgeous, the camera feels nice and solid, controls are great, menus are divided by tabs into single-screen bites and feel SO nice. I'll definitely be picking one up in a few months. The Zeiss 35/2.8 feels really nice and well-finished. I don't know if it's worth the price to me, but it seems like a fine lens.

Sigma didn't have any of their DP series out on tables, and Leica only had one camera out for fondling. The Fuji booth was tiny, but had a lot of interested people. Sony's was massive and had about ten-twelve A7/A7Rs out for demo, all of which were getting lots of interest.

tino

Banned
Can you put the GM1 plus kit lens in a jeans pocket?

I completely forgot about the expo since the Nikon thing was not going to be there. Went to Palhem Bay to shoot foliages instead.

tino

Banned
I think the kit lens makes it a bit too thick. If you put the 14mm pancake on there, you'd be closer. It's not as flat as an RX100 or GR.

Thank. It seems GR is still the best option. How come either Olympus nor Panasonic want to make a P&S with the m43 sensor.

The GM1 will fit in your jeans pocket attached with body cap lens. :)

Yeah but that lens is worse than cellphone quality I might as well take the picture with a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom