• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Yeah, those Zeiss lenses are quite pricey. The price in context though the Zeiss 35/2.8 Biogon ZM is around $800 too. Although you would think Sony would be like Fuji and start off with some solid midrange stuff.

I assume thats because they are trying to differentiate the Full Frame line from the APS-C line, with the APS-C line being for the mid range.

Hi, didn't know there was a camera gear thread here, first post.

I used to own a Canon 5d MK II with several primes, loved the IQ, hated the bulk, the weight, carrying such a huge thing around is no fun. It ended up collecting dust at home most of the time, after buying a Fuji X100, I used the Canon maybe once in 6 months. And there were the stares and looks too, with a big DSLR you always look like a paparazzi or a nerd. So I sold it. I'm using mirror less cams now, but would love a full frame camera with 2 or 3 fast primes again, as that is the only look a crop camera can't fully reproduce.

The A7/r look great, but like with Sony's NEX system, the cameras are nice but the lenses are a joke, too slow, too big, too expensive for what they are. 800 for a 35mm f2.8? The 55mm is huge for its relatively slow aperture, let's not even get started on the price. Small body is great, too bad the lens isn't any smaller than a DLSR lens.

The advantages of full frame only come into full effect if you use the same spec lenses. The 23mm f1.4 for Fuji X, e.g., gives you the field of view and DOF of a full frame 35mm f2, so in comparison to this 35mm f2.8, you gain two stops of light, meaning two full stops lower ISO and a full stop of DOF control, despite the crop sensor. Why go for the expensive full frame when it gives me less DOF control and less low light performance than the cheaper smaller sensor alternative?

I have used Zeiss ZE lenses for Canon DSLRs and they are great, they have a very special rendering, very saturated and contrasty. But at least the DSLR lenses are somewhat competitively priced compared to their Canon/Nikon counterparts, and they are actually made by Zeiss, these are Sony lenses with a Zeiss badge. 1100 for a 55mm f1.8 is ridiculous.

Since Olympus is working with Sony now I hope they join this system. They make some of the best and compact lenses in the industry, they could make some useful lenses for these camera bodies, because these are not cutting it at all.

RuGalz

They probably decided to stick with f2.8 to keep the 35mm smallish, also it's an internal focusing lens. I don't mind that for traveling. But the prices are a bit crazy unless the optic is that good.

otoh, are these lenses weather sealed?

edit: according to preorder page it says dust and moisture resistance... I guess there's a bit of sealing.

Can't wait to try it out in the store. Hopefully the ergonomics and menu system is vastly improved from NEX. If so, I'll be eagerly waiting for next iteration.

tino

Banned
If you are going to adopt MF lens anyway like AIS 50/1.2 IMO 6D/D610 are still better options.

Unless you already have a bunch of M mount or highend FD lens already.

Also is the A7s not letting you have the option to use APSC NEX lens properly by not giving you automatic crop mode? Its really bad if Sony cripple function like that.

In other news, Panasonic is releasing the GM-1 (to replace the GF series since Panasonic has ran the GF series into the ground.) So far so good. I want to see a size comparison between it and the RX100.

Basically what I am looking for is a lens with a low f-stop that performs well in low lighting conditions (faster shutter speed, wider aperture).

There are much cheaper fast primes than that 24mm; in the current generation alone:
35mm f/1.8G ($250)
50mm f/1.8G ($250)
28mm f/1.8G ($750)
(Prices are the MSRP from Nikon Canada)

As for which one you might want, just set your zoom to that focal length and see how you like the framing in different situations.

If you are going to adopt MF lens anyway like AIS 50/1.2 IMO 6D/D610 are still better options.

Unless you already have a bunch of M mount or highend FD lens already.

Also is the A7s not letting you have the option to use APSC NEX lens properly by not giving you automatic crop mode? Its really bad if Sony cripple function like that.

In other news, Panasonic is releasing the GM-1 (to replace the GF series since Panasonic has ran the GF series into the ground.) So far so good. I want to see a size comparison between it and the RX100.

Automatic cropping was one of the rumored features. I haven't found anyone mentioning it yet, but it's trivial for them to include it. I believe the VG900 does this as well.

compare_zps68134cb5.jpg

There's some report it has a 1/16000 shutter. This thing's outshining Panny's own GX7. If it had a proper flash mount/port, it'd be killer.

tino

Banned
compare_zps68134cb5.jpg

There's some report it has a 1/16000 shutter. This thing's outshining Panny's own GX7. If it had a proper flash mount/port, it'd be killer.

1/16000? Unless its an electric shutter, I doubt it.

Its a good alternative to the RX100. You basically give up reach for better IQ.

1/16000? Unless its an electric shutter, I doubt it.

Its a good alternative to the RX100. You basically give up reach for better IQ.

There's something special about the shutter, the rumors are not specific, only that it is different and supposed to take less space

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was looking for a good low-lighting lens for my Nikon D7000, found this one being recommended Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4 G ED N Aspherical. 2000$ :eek:

So my question, the current lens I have is the DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G.

Basically what I am looking for is a lens with a low f-stop that performs well in low lighting conditions (faster shutter speed, wider aperture).

<---Noob

Thanks for any help:)

You don't need to spend $2000. The other posts have good suggestions.

Just remember that some of the older, mechanical focus lenses won't be able to auto focus on your camera. Make sure to get a newer one that says "AF-S" on it.

edit: lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Since Olympus is working with Sony now I hope they join this system. They make some of the best and compact lenses in the industry, they could make some useful lenses for these camera bodies, because these are not cutting it at all.

what? Since when is Olympus working with Sony?

Flo_Evans

You don't need to spend $2000. The other posts have good suggestions.

Just remember that some of the older, mechanical focus lenses won't be able to auto focus on your camera. Make sure to get a newer one that says "AF-S" on it.

The D7000 can autofocus with all nikon lenses. It can meter and properly stop down MF lenses too.

The 35mm 1.8dx is the 1st low light lens you should buy for it ($200). If you have more money get the 28mm 1.8 ($700) Then I would get a 50mm 1.4 ($200 for AF-D, $400 for AF-S).

captive

Since the epic scandal, since the EM5 start using Sony chips.

oh, thats not "working" with, thats buying the chips from them. Already knew that.

Olympus aint joining with Sony on their mirroless system and Sony isn't going to start making cameras and lenses for m4/3rds, until ones camera business is no long profitable. Carry on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS
Sony G 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8
Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8
Zeiss FE 70-200mm f/4.0 OSS (coming early 2014)

DOA

Sony charges 1100 euros for the chunky 55mm f1.8 prime for the upcoming A7(r) cameras.

Edit: the 35mm f2.8 will go for 800 euros/dollars

Yeah, not happening, Sony. Awesome sounding camera body, but very little reason to go with these instead of a Fuji X lineup in the mirrorless space when you look at the lens options: Fuji 35mm f1.4 @ $600 vs Zeiss 55mm f1.8 at 1100 euros, or Fuji 23mm f1.4 @ $900 vs Zeiss 35mm f2.8 at $800. Not to mention existing DSLR options.

oh, thats not "working" with, thats buying the chips from them. Already knew that.

Olympus aint joining with Sony on their mirroless system and Sony isn't going to start making cameras and lenses for m4/3rds, until ones camera business is no long profitable. Carry on.

But there was supposed to be an exchange of technology. The sensors were part of it, but we have yet to see anything Olympus on Sony camera. IBIS could have been part of it, but Sony is obsessed with keeping their overheating cameras slim and cheap.

Both companies said they will work together in developing camera gear, Sony will give sensors to Olympus, Olympus will help Sony with lens design and IS technologies. IIRC they were mostly talking about compact cameras at first though. But lenses for their interchangeable lens systems is where Sony really needs help, so I hope they will get some knowhow from Olympus there.

Yeah, not happening, Sony. Awesome sounding camera body, but very little reason to go with these instead of a Fuji X lineup in the mirrorless space when you look at the lens options: Fuji 35mm f1.4 @ $600 vs Zeiss 55mm f1.8 at 1100 euros, or Fuji 23mm f1.4 @ $900 vs Zeiss 35mm f2.8 at $800. Not to mention existing DSLR options.

Yeah it's too bad they didn't price them better. It'll be interesting to see how Fuji prices the rumored x200 to compete with the RX1 as well.

Damaged

The D7000 can autofocus with all nikon lenses. It can meter and properly stop down MF lenses too.

The 35mm 1.8dx is the 1st low light lens you should buy for it ($200). If you have more money get the 28mm 1.8 ($700) Then I would get a 50mm 1.4 ($200 for AF-D, $400 for AF-S).

I have both the 35mm 1.8dx and the 50mm 1.4 af-d and can vouch for both performing very happily with a D7000 in low light

captive

Both companies said they will work together in developing camera gear, Sony will give sensors to Olympus, Olympus will help Sony with lens design and IS technologies. IIRC they were mostly talking about compact cameras at first though. But lenses for their interchangeable lens systems is where Sony really needs help, so I hope they will get some knowhow from Olympus there.

well sure, everyone except for Leica and Zeiss probably wants the lens knowledge Olympus has, they make some of the best lenses around, not many people know cause they dont have canikon written on them.

it could happen i guess. I just think you're better off buying a Fuji or Olympus instead of waiting around for Sony to get its act together.

Radec

Wish they also made some cheap sony primes like the ones for the A-mount, I would be satisfied with an A7 + a $100 50/1,8

But to be fair, those are full frame lenses, sure there's the "zeiss" tax but the XF lenses are made for crop sensor. If ever Fuji goes for full frame mirrorless, they will have to introduce full frame XF lenses like what Sony did.

Current E lenses have these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sony&ci=17912&N=4196380428+4291215468

which is tbh, not that bad compared to what they had 2-3 years ago.

Forsete

A7 really looks delicious. But unless I can import it will not happen anytime soon. :/

NEX7+A900 will have to be my combo for a while longer, and that is fine.

Sony doesn't care nearly as much about getting lens tech from Olympus as they do about expanding further into the much more lucrative medical industry, which Olympus is a massive player in since they're the largest endoscope manufacturer in the world. I'd say they have managed to use them to their advantage since Sony has already recently released a medical HMD for use with endoscopes.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/sony-surgical-3d-head-mounted-display/

Animator

Was going to get a Oly EM1 but A7 it is.

I have no problem with the lenses they announced. You don't need to use the sony lenses on the thing if you don't want to. I would much rather put a Zeiss Planar 50 on it. That 35mm 2.8 is not a bad deal though since it is weather proof and 2.8 is more than enough for the low light capability A7 has.

Sony knows that the budget-conscious are gonna use adapted lenses on the thing, and this camera is moving upmarket from NEX. They're aiming for the premium market with their native lenses. They're competing with Leica lenses.

Blitzzz

Sony knows that the budget-conscious are gonna use adapted lenses on the thing, and this camera is moving upmarket from NEX. They're aiming for the premium market with their native lenses. They're competing with Leica lenses.

Zeiss lenses were never cheap to begin with though. It would be weird if they released cheaper versions for Sony and not for Canon/Nikon.

It is surprising that Sony themselves haven't made any mid-tier lenses

tino

Banned

A7s' competitors are 6D, D610, X Pro-1 and EM1. Leica hasn't had a competitive sensor for a long while now. Nowadays very few people buy Leica.

A7s' competitors are 6D, D610, X Pro-1 and EM1. Leica hasn't had a competitive sensor for a long while now. Nowadays very few people buy Leica.

Lenses, not cameras. Everybody knows Leica lenses are still some of the best, and it's easy to adapt them to E-mount. Zeiss gets you Leica quality, but is still substantially cheaper.

I wonder if sigma will make a FE version of their 30/2,8

I sure hope so. That lens is amazing.

tino

Banned
Lenses, not cameras. Everybody knows Leica lenses are still some of the best, and it's easy to adapt them to E-mount. Zeiss gets you Leica quality, but is still substantially cheaper.

I sure hope so. That lens is amazing.

Sony making a $1000 55mm 1.8 to compete with Leica is the automotive equivalent of Hyundai making a 50k luxury car to compete with Mercedes (which I don't have a problem with, but Sony need to have a 50mm that price at the Nikon/Canon price level.)

Sony making a $1000 55mm 1.8 to compete with Leica is the automotive equivalent of Hyundai making a 50k luxury car to compete with Mercedes (which I don't have a problem with, but Sony need to have a 50mm that price at the Nikon/Canon price level.)

This has been Zeiss's domain with M-mount and Contax G lenses for years. It's not a stretch to imagine them playing the same game with FE mount.

Anyway, the low-to-midrange market is wide open for Sigma right now.

Which is going to get even more confusing since the NEX name is being retired now. As well as the NEX menu system, which won't be missed

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The M-Mount Zeiss 50/2 Planar is able to compete with Leicas own Summicron which is high praise. I'm interested to see how these lenses perform considering their Touit line of lenses.

tino

Banned
The M-Mount Zeiss 50/2 Planar is able to compete with Leicas own Summicron which is high praise. I'm interested to see how these lenses perform considering their Touit line of lenses.

The two Touit lens are not actually better than the Fuji counterparts. They area hair bit less sharp than the Fuji XF lens with less manual control. However they are priced appropriately, which is about 20% more than the manufacturers lens. So people who want the Zeiss brand name will have a reason to pay for it. This pricing policy fall right in line with the rest of the Zeiss ZE, ZF manual focus series pricing, which is about 20-40% higher than the Nikon and Canon counterparts.

The price for the FE 55/1.8 and E 24/1.8 are all over the place. I believe the ZA auto focus Zeiss lens price are set by Sony therefore they are not consistant with Zeiss's pricing for the other mounts. Look at the E 24, its not holding the value. If you buy a manual foucs Zeiss lens with a chrome rim, it would not lose 30+% of its value in 2 years.

v0yce

I adore my RX1, but I seriously think I'm going to sell it and get the A7R.

I miss having a viewfinder on the RX1 (and can't convince myself to buy the ridiculously priced EVF). That's really about the only thing bad I can say about the camera. It's been one of the best things I've ever owned.

The biggest hesitation I have is that I'm scared to death that I won't be able to replace the quality of the 35mm Zeiss on the RX1. The images that come out of that camera are amazing. Would something like the Zeiss 50mm Planar T Leica mount get me the same quality? The new 55 is too bulky and I rarely use auto focus anyway.

de1irium

What does everyone think of this? My mom says it's a legit store in NYC but I don't understand why it's so cheap. Unless it's because of the countless accessories they want you to buy.

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid...al_t3i_180_mp_camera_w_18_55mm_is_ii_lens.htm

It's probably grey-market (i.e. doesn't have a US warranty).

IMO if you're going to buy camera gear in NYC just go to B&H or Adorama. I'd be skeptical of any place that's cheaper ... Canon/Nikon control their prices so tightly.

What does everyone think of this? My mom says it's a legit store in NYC but I don't understand why it's so cheap. Unless it's because of the countless accessories they want you to buy.

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid...al_t3i_180_mp_camera_w_18_55mm_is_ii_lens.htm

If it's a NYC store with a price that seems too good to be true (i.e. cheaper than B&H or Adorama), it probably is. There's a famous bait-and-switch scam that a lot of shady NYC shops pull.

Besides, it's only $200 off. Wait for a clearance deal from a reputable retailer.

If it's a NYC store with a price that seems too good to be true (i.e. cheaper than B&H or Adorama), it probably is. There's a famous bait-and-switch scam that a lot of shady NYC shops pull.

Besides, it's only $200 off. Wait for a clearance deal from a reputable retailer.

He's not buying right now so he's not really waiting for anything really.

tino

Banned
If that store is cheaper by 50 bux I would buy from it. That 3rd tier NYC camera store has existed for a lobg time, since the times when I got my camera news from Popular Photography Magazine, when Herbert Keppler was alive hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom