• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggie

I anyone could give me some advice on getting a new camera.
I have a Pentax k-r and im really looking to upgrade. Im in between the K-5IIs or should I wait for the K-3?
For reference, I dont really shoot in the studio unless for class. I shoot mostly street and portrait stuff.
Any kind of assistance would be awesomesauce.

RuGalz

I anyone could give me some advice on getting a new camera.
I have a Pentax k-r and im really looking to upgrade. Im in between the K-5IIs or should I wait for the K-3?
For reference, I dont really shoot in the studio unless for class. I shoot mostly street and portrait stuff.
Any kind of assistance would be awesomesauce.

If you can afford K-3, I'd go for that. The features are impressive and the sample photos look great. The improvements on AF will be useful for street. I'm tempting to get one myself but trying really hard to wait for K-3II since I tend to prefer second iteration of new tech. Otherwise, K-5IIs will be very cheap very quick. Either way though, they are going to be a pretty big step up from K-r except for the weight.

K-3 Test Images

Quick D600 vs K-3 comparison

Shiggie

If you can afford K-3, I'd go for that. The features are impressive and the sample photos look great. The improvements on AF will be useful for street. I'm tempting to get one myself but trying really hard to wait for K-3II since I tend to prefer second iteration of new tech. Otherwise, K-5IIs will be very cheap very quick. Either way though, they are going to be a pretty big step up from K-r except for the weight.

K-3 Test Images

Quick D600 vs K-3 comparison

Thanks. Think Ill go for the K3 then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I'm looking for a tripod. Saw a couple of sites recommend the Giottos MTL9361B but I can't find it. Basically I'm looking for something that would reach up to high level (170cm or so), ideally light but not necessarily carbon if it's not worth the price hike. Going to be used for landscape/cityscape photography in general. Any recommendations?

MXRider

tino

Banned
Woo Christmas in October. Got best buy to somewhat match a rakuten.com bundle for a t3i.
-T3i with 18-55mm lens
-Sandisk 64 gb class 10 card
-60" tripod http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8241048&pid=1168044601803&pcatId=abcat0410000
-Lowepro case http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8397181&pid=1218874428782&pcatId=pcmcat240400050015

All for $599 with 5% back and $10gc with the points. Parents are going to pay half for Xmas.

Good deal?

Yeah but you don't have to pay tax and deal with BB sales droid. ;)
Also Rakuten has points too but less than 5%.

Woo Christmas in October. Got best buy to somewhat match a rakuten.com bundle for a t3i.
-T3i with 18-55mm lens
-Sandisk 64 gb class 10 card
-60" tripod http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8241048&pid=1168044601803&pcatId=abcat0410000
-Lowepro case http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8397181&pid=1218874428782&pcatId=pcmcat240400050015

All for $599 with 5% back and $10gc with the points. Parents are going to pay half for Xmas.

Good deal?

not really.

Wubby

I think I made off like bandit. Found a Nex-5R at a used shop for $320. But it's not used, it's actually new. And came with the new 16-50 power zoom lens.

I had been wanting to pick up the 16-50 for my old first gen Nex-5. Lens itself would have cost me $240. So I figured this wasn't a bad deal.

The light meter on my old 5 had been going wonky for a little while so now I don't have to bother sending it in for repair anymore either. I'm enjoying the faster auto focus on this 5R.

Only bad thing is it's the Japanese version so no English option. But I've been using my 5 for so long (and my wife's Japanese 3N) that it doesn't really bother me too much.

^ as long as you shoot RAW, use auto white-balance, know how to switch b/t M-P-A-S, and know how to set ISO, shutter, f-stop, then nothing else matters. RAW shooters unite!

Now, which should I load in the o' film camera next....

film%20to%20load.jpg

tino

Banned
Anyone want to play the great "predict the Df price" game? I will start, 2k + 20% Nikon Tax + 20% retro tax = $2799 Adorama preorder price.

Body + 50/1.8 retro lens kit = $2999

(._.)

Banned
Anyone want to play the great "predict the Df price" game? I will start, 2k + 20% Nikon Tax + 20% retro tax = $2799 Adorama preorder price.

Body + 50/1.8 retro lens kit = $2999
I wish they would make a full frame dslr body that wasn't that much. I wonder what this body does that's better than the d600

More leaks of Nikon DF, in the first pic it's a pic of a new custom 50mm 1.8? it has no aperture ring.

Nikon-Df-camera-teaser-5.jpg
http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Nikon-Df-teaser-5.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Nikon-Df-camera-revealed.jpg http://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Nikon-Df-camera-back.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Rumored to be announced the 5th of November. Remember remember the 5th of November... as the day I sold all my camera equipment to get my hands on a Df. (Hah, I wish).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Still looking into buying a tripod. I'd like one that reaches to just under 70" so I can shoot at eye level (I'm 5'8") when the camera is set. I'm wondering if I should look for a tripod which doesn't need much central column extension to reach that height? I have no interest in shooting at a higher height than eye level.

Just trying to figure out what height I should be looking for.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah that's the thing, I want something portable because I'll be using it during my travels. I could always buy another one for other context, but I'm wondering what the pitfalls could be of buying something that is more portable, which I presume is more susceptible to vibrations/wind, or is that rather nullified if you use a weight to stabilize it?

de1irium

I feel like the only person in the world that doesn't "get" the DF.

Teased as "pure photography" but it looks like a typical DSLR with a "retro" case and dedicated shutter/ISO dials.

tino

Banned
I feel like the only person in the world that doesn't "get" the DF.

Teased as "pure photography" but it looks like a typical DSLR with a "retro" case and dedicated shutter/ISO dials.

Its designed for people who own older high end AIS and AFD Nikon lens. If you have shot for decades you want to have a body that matches the 50mm 1.2 and bring back the feeling of shootibg a FM2 or F3.

edit: Putting a APSM dial there is very odd. Can't they just put a mode dial to control the aperture for the lens that doesn't have aperture ring?

Also, is there a way to dao max/min ISO on the ISO dial?

Curious to see what they removed from the D600/700/800/3/4 capabilities/formula besides video and on-board flash.

I'm very interested in reading the manual/reviews with respect to the controls, I was expecting a mode dial/switch to toggle the aperture from auto to manual (using an available ring or the standard jog wheel).

If I were to get one I'd also have to budget for an SU-800 (or equivalent) or RF triggers.

Mercutio

What on EARTH is up with the textured leatherette on the pentaprism? That makes no damned sense. There's a lot of VERY strange design decision on this camera.

Mercutio

God, I had no idea Nikon used to do that.

Man, I really don't like the design of this new one. It's such a weird mixture of materials and odd angles. I feel like it really lacks the charm of the original.

tino

Banned
God, I had no idea Nikon used to do that.

Man, I really don't like the design of this new one. It's such a weird mixture of materials and odd angles. I feel like it really lacks the charm of the original.

Look up a FM2n.

Does people notice Nikon now has more FF models (D4 D3x D800 D800E D610 DF), than APSC bodies (D7100 D300s D5300 D90 D3200)?

Mercutio

Look up a FM2n.

Does people notice Nikon now has more FF models (D4 D3x D800 D800E D610 DF), than APSC bodies (D7100 D300s D5300 D90 D3200)?

I'm totally in favor of full frame taking over.

My main issues with this one are the weird combo of plastic / metal / leatherette on the front (the shiny black plastic above the grip) and the dials that seem... totally unnecessary. Like, sure, some are useful. But why is the ISO dial that big and prominent? I can't think of any reason to devote that much space to something like that. It seems like dials for the sake of dials.

I'm totally in favor of full frame taking over.

My main issues with this one are the weird combo of plastic / metal / leatherette on the front (the shiny black plastic above the grip) and the dials that seem... totally unnecessary. Like, sure, some are useful. But why is the ISO dial that big and prominent? I can't think of any reason to devote that much space to something like that. It seems like dials for the sake of dials.

ergonomically some people prefer dials. this camera probably isn't for you but is for those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom