• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The DF doesn't come with video recording either? I hope there's a function reason for excluding that versus purely nostalgic reasons otherwise that price tag will be hilarious.

I could use an ISO dial. I have no need for vidya.

Is the sensor quality supposed to be better, or no word on that yet?

me too and no, though Amazon might've leaked their product page accidentally.

http://fstoppers.com/amazon-goofs-prematurely-publishes-nikon-df-product-page-pricing

nikon-DF-digital-fusion-amazon-pricing-fstoppers.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The reason is some photographers don't need or use video functions on their DSLR.

The reason I bring it up is cause I found it odd they're releasing a body with stripped down features at what feels like an unreasonable price. But I guess you gotta consider the smaller market for this versus the D600 or D800. Just seems like a nostalgic cash grab versus something is not retro for retro sake (like the X100).

More dials is a good thing. I'd prefer never having to menu dive ever again for functions I use very often.

The reason I bring it up is cause I found it odd they're releasing a body with stripped down features at what feels like an unreasonable price. But I guess you gotta consider the smaller market for this versus the D600 or D600. Just seems like a nostalgic cash grab versus something is not retro for retro sake (like the X100)

I totally agree that the price is off (if it's true) but I'm betting the price is not an issue for a substantial subset of their hardcore fanbase. I'm intrigued to see where this ends up. I also wouldn't exactly consider it a cash grab as the R&D on it was probably pretty substantial. The amount of vintage glass will also have an appeal for many as well, and may reflect in that price as money saved buying vintage.

More dials is a good thing. I'd prefer never having to menu dive ever again for functions I use very often.

Totally. One of the best things on my x100 is the ability to literally dial settings in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The reason I bring it up is cause I found it odd they're releasing a body with stripped down features at what feels like an unreasonable price.

shrug. Perhaps the nostalgia commands a small markup. I have a feeling, though, that maybe there are more good things about the camera that we don't know yet. Which is why I was wondering about the sensor quality.

(or perhaps I'm just not paying attention well enough lol)

DF looks too "retro". Fuji, Olympus, and even Panasonic now, have made attractive cameras that harken back to film cameras while incorporating modern design.

tino

Banned
loooooolololol

I thought, for about ten seconds, that I would dump my D700 for this. Nooooooope.

You know why my prediction of the price was so close? I know Nikon too well. It's one of the reason I left the F mount. I knew Nikon would not give up on the premium pricing.

v0yce

DF looks too "retro". Fuji, Olympus, and even Panasonic now, have made attractive cameras that harken back to film cameras while incorporating modern design.

Yeah, I love the dials but I actually think it's kind of ugly and they don't seem to understand why those cameras have become popular. Too chubby or something. Kind of cheap looking too. Something's not working for me.

tino

Banned
Yeah, I love the dials but I actually think it's kind of ugly. Too chubby or something. Kind of cheap looking too. Something's not working for me.

The style is inconsistant, thats the problem. The knocks and the prism are from a F2 F3 era camera, the body , the grip and the fit and finished are from a late film era 90s body. The lens is an ugly fusion of AFD and G lens too. Only the black one looks good. Also that ISO dial, is that the biggest ISO dial ever?

elfinke

Bought my first 'nifty-fifty' lens for my K-30 a week or two ago.

Man, such a fun lens. Can see why it is such a hotly contested segment of the market, and why the good lenses that stand the test of time, are so highly revered.

I can't help but keep thinking of the Homer.

homer_front1.jpg

It tries too hard to have it both ways and comes out a mess. It has the features and controls of an F-series and a D-series rolled together, with none of the elegance of a fully-manual camera. It's a retro-styled DSLR, not a distillation of a digital camera into manual controls. Fuji did that part better, and ironically, Nikon has come out looking more conservative.

Zyzyxxz

I can't help but keep thinking of the Homer.

homer_front1.jpg

It tries too hard to have it both ways and comes out a mess. It has the features and controls of an F-series and a D-series rolled together, with none of the elegance of a fully-manual camera. It's a retro-styled DSLR, not a distillation of a digital camera into manual controls. Fuji did that part better, and ironically, Nikon has come out looking more conservative.

The back is way too busy for what it's suppose to be. The front looks nice but the rear looks like somebody just ripped it off the FF DSLR's and glued it on. No cohesion between the two sides. I'll be curious to see the size difference between this and a D4 since they use the same sensor.

Mercutio

The back is way too busy for what it's suppose to be. The front looks nice but the rear looks like somebody just ripped it off the FF DSLR's and glued it on. No cohesion between the two sides. I'll be curious to see the size difference between this and a D4 since they use the same sensor.

It's a LOT bigger than I had expected.

It's 1.6 Pounds, and Approx. 5.6 x 4.3 x 2.6 inches according to the spec sheet.

For reference, a 5D Mark III is about 2 lbs, and 5.98 x 4.57 x 2.99 inches.

What gets me most is this picture:
Nikon-Df-announcement.jpg

I mean, come on. A compass? Is the owner about to sail the seas with his DF, compass in hand? Please. I feel like if you're going to claim "purity of purpose" on something like this, you need to go all the way and remove the trappings of a digital camera on the rear. Fine, leave a screen and a few buttons, but this thing feels like a modern Nikon wearing a silly mask of its ancestors.

Flo_Evans

What gets me most is this picture:

What gets me is I have that 43-86 lens, and this one:

b1KdUWD.jpg

It's a shame it has the D600 autofocus. And no split focus screen for MF lenses that I can see. I really like the knobs but the sensor upgrade over the D600 isn't enough for me personally.

If it was $500 cheaper I'd consider selling my D600 for it (after trying it— not sure it's there ergonomically). It's not worth D800 money to me, though.

If I had to iterate on the design, right now, without trying it, I'd say that they should:

Make a more prominent manual focus assist. Making a focusing screen standard introduces many compromises, but the little green dot that you have to shift your gaze to see is annoying. Make an AF point illuminate instead or something.

Add an "Auto" setting to the shutter dial, and replace the exposure mode dial with a two position switch: M/A and S/P. In M/A, setting the shutter dial to Auto selects aperture priority. In S/P, setting the shutter dial to Auto selects programmed exposure mode.

Futureman

My buddy is interested in an entry level DSLR.

any chance there's maybe even an older model still available with a kit lens for around $250-300? I guess brand doesn't matter but Canon would be my top choice (actually maybe not so he doesn't borrow my lenses ha!).

Mercutio

What gets me is I have that 43-86 lens, and this one:

b1KdUWD.jpg

It's a shame it has the D600 autofocus. And no split focus screen for MF lenses that I can see. I really like the knobs but the sensor upgrade over the D600 isn't enough for me personally.

I mourned the lack of a focusing screen when I left my 5D II for the 5D III, but I got a real modern AF system in exchange.

Again, if Nikon's going to go with "Retro" on this thing, they really ought to go all the way. Older lens support is awesome, but it really needs to let the customer change focus screens.

diaspora

My buddy is interested in an entry level DSLR.

any chance there's maybe even an older model still available with a kit lens for around $250-300? I guess brand doesn't matter but Canon would be my top choice (actually maybe not so he doesn't borrow my lenses ha!).

As far as Canon goes for a DSLR kit, your best (only) bet is to shoot for an aftermarket T3 or below and the T3 used kits typically runs at $300-400. Though I do have a Rebel XT that I'm looking to get rid of... :p

Futureman

As far as Canon goes for a DSLR kit, your best (only) bet is to shoot for an aftermarket T3 or below and the T3 used kits typically runs at $300-400. Though I do have a Rebel XT that I'm looking to get rid of... :p

my first DSLR! Maybe it's mine haha.

how much would you sell it? with lens?

So I finally bought a DSLR (Canon T3i) and thought I'd pick up the latest version of Photshop. Except I'm finding that there's these weird "cloud" versions of Adobe stuff, and something called Lightroom.

What should I get? Should I do the cloud thing? Photoshop or Lightroom?

diaspora

So I finally bought a DSLR (Canon T3i) and thought I'd pick up the latest version of Photshop. Except I'm finding that there's these weird "cloud" versions of Adobe stuff, and something called Lightroom.

Adobe Creative Cloud is largely just regular Adobe afaik, but paid on a subscription basis. As for what you should get, just go for Lightroom IMO. It' got powerful tools for post-processing, without everything PS comes with that I doubt you'd need.

What do you want to do with your photos once you've taken them?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Nothing too crazy, but I want as much control as possible. Right now I am just using iPhoto and the editing tools are pretty limited. I'm not really sure yet though - I'd like to experiment.

I find myself using GIMP more than anything else these days. Takes a bit of getting used to, but on the other hand it is free, so worth a bit of experimenting with.

Nothing too crazy, but I want as much control as possible. Right now I am just using iPhoto and the editing tools are pretty limited. I'm not really sure yet though - I'd like to experiment.

Lightroom is my go to. The processing options are great for touch-ups and the real reason for it is to make your post-process workflow easier. If you come back from a day of shooting and have a couple of hundred photos it's fairly easy to get through them. I'd get Lightroom before Photoshop though both are great to have if you can afford them.

tino

Banned
I find myself using GIMP more than anything else these days. Takes a bit of getting used to, but on the other hand it is free, so worth a bit of experimenting with.

You can get old version of Photoshop for free anyway.

Outside of a decent panorama app (that can't handle a really large panorama) and better HDR function, I don't see much difference bwteen CS5 and maybe Photoshop 7.

So I'm looking to get a Mirrorless and it's looking like NEX-3N is the best bet in my price range.

Is this an accurate assessment? Am I missing something? Is a better $400-500 camera just on the horizon?

Basically I'm looking to be able to take better portrait stuff than on my iPhone, background out of focus, etc, but I don't want to have to break the bank.

tino

Banned
So I'm looking to get a Mirrorless and it's looking like NEX-3N is the best bet in my price range.

Is this an accurate assessment? Am I missing something? Is a better $400-500 camera just on the horizon?

Basically I'm looking to be able to take better portrait stuff than on my iPhone, background out of focus, etc, but I don't want to have to break the bank.

There are almost no difference between the last 3 versions of nex3 and nex5. See if you can get a 5r or 5n instead. You get better ergonomic control. Also check out Fuji xa1.

hitsugi

There are almost no difference between the last 3 versions of nex3 and nex5. See if you can get a 5r or 5n instead. You get better ergonomic control. Also check out Fuji xa1.

I concur. I have a 3N, and while I think it's a great camera for the price, I wish I had gone with the 5N due to the vastly superior LCD for manual shots as well as the option to add a EVF (the 3N I believe is the first in the NEX line to not have the port).

I concur. I have a 3N, and while I think it's a great camera for the price, I wish I had gone with the 5N due to the vastly superior LCD for manual shots as well as the option to add a EVF (the 3N I believe is the first in the NEX line to not have the port).

Thanks, guys!

The resale value on those NEX cameras is poor. It sucks for those trying to get rid of theirs, but it should be an opportunity for you. Go for an used/refurbished model at a fraction of the price you are willing to pay..

Here in Brazil the prices are really, really high. I would like to buy a RX100II, but they go for about 1,500 USD. The X100 goes for about the same price, the X100S is even more expensive.

The RX100II would be perfect, but I would have to import one, even so, the importing taxes here are really high, as some of you may know.

I would like a pocketable camera for the ocasions where my DSLR is not viable. I don't know many models besides these one and also the G1X (about 900USD).

Maybe a mirrorless + pancake lens could be a good option? Some Nex models are relatively cheaper here.

Update: Just some more info needed: Need full manual control and good video capabilities

overcast

So, I'm borrowing an EOS 20D for my photography class.

I don't know if I screwed it up somewhere along the way, but now when I attempt to take a picture it beeps, the light on the front blinks a few times and the picture is finally taken after like 10 seconds.

Any ideas?

So, I'm borrowing an EOS 20D for my photography class.

I don't know if I screwed it up somewhere along the way, but now when I attempt to take a picture it beeps, the light on the front blinks a few times and the picture is finally taken after like 10 seconds.

Any ideas?

You turned on the self timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom