• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

Have there been any reviews/hands-on with the new E-mount lenses Sony were going to release?

I havent seen anything, but then again I dont keep up with camera news like I used to.

Keep an eye out on http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ he seems to post most things that plops up. And the usual places, http://www.dyxum.com/ (forum) http://www.dpreview.com/ (check the NEX forum).

A guy at work is getting ready to buy the A7. I am slightly jealous but look forward to his impressions. :)

Groof

I havent seen anything, but then again I dont keep up with camera news like I used to.

Keep an eye out on http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ he seems to post most things that plops up. And the usual places, http://www.dyxum.com/ (forum) http://www.dpreview.com/ (check the NEX forum).

A guy at work is getting ready to buy the A7. I am slightly jealous but look forward to his impressions. :)
Thanks man, will definitely keep an eye out. I'm itching for a better native lens for this 5r.

Zoe

I was at a wedding this weekend where the main photographer was using a messenger bag that had a logo that looked like OIOIO. Does anybody know this brand and if it really was a camera bag?

I was at a wedding this weekend where the main photographer was using a messenger bag that had a logo that looked like OIOIO. Does anybody know this brand and if it really was a camera bag?

That sounds like Ogio. They make a lot of different kinds of bags, but I don't think they have any dedicated photo bags.

Muddimar

So I'm looking to buy a SLR Nikon or Canon camera for Christmas. My price range will be around $500. What is the best I can get for the money? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm totally lost when it comes to photography.

Thraktor

So I'm looking to buy a SLR Nikon or Canon camera for Christmas. My price range will be around $500. What is the best I can get for the money? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm totally lost when it comes to photography.

I'm pretty sure both Nikon and Canon offer cameras around that price range, although I don't know the model numbers these days. The difference between Canon and Nikon are pretty minimal, and it's mainly a matter of preference. If there's a store nearby where you can get your hands on them, then I'd advise doing so, as you might find you prefer the ergonomics of one or the other.

With regard to lenses, get a kit with an 18-55mm lens included (it's the standard "kit lens" for entry level DSLRs), which should do the job while you're learning the ropes. After that, try to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 (known as a "nifty fifty"), which both Canon and Nikon sell for about $100, and which will give you the ability to shoot in lower light and with a shallower depth of field.

If you're just beginning then you can survive with any recent DSLR. I still have a 550D (whatever they're called in NA) somewhere around here and it's still a perfectly usable camera (which i'm assuming is rather cheap these days). I don't really know what's the best, but in all honesty, all cameras are pretty fucking nice these days.

If you're trying to get into photography hoping to get beyond "amateurship", you should first get a good grip on what you want to shoot (portraiture, landscape, street, documentarian, sports, etc.). If you know someone that really knows how to paint, ask them for good resources on composition, color theory, all that good painting stuff. Having a strong, classical body of knowledge on visual theory is probably the best way to guarantee an eventually good body of work. This is a talk i go back to a lot, probably the best freely accessible discussion on the subject i've ever seen.

Groof

I've been wrecking my head lately over a new E-mount lens for my NEX and what kind I should save up for. The standard 1855 is alright, but I'd like something more compact for easier/lighter carrying and everyday use. I've been looking at the 20/2.8 pancake lens which seems pretty decent. But I've also been looking at the 1650 for being both slim and zoom capabilities.
Can someone slap some answers into me, please?

I've been wrecking my head lately over a new E-mount lens for my NEX and what kind I should save up for. The standard 1855 is alright, but I'd like something more compact for easier/lighter carrying and everyday use. I've been looking at the 20/2.8 pancake lens which seems pretty decent. But I've also been looking at the 1650 for being both slim and zoom capabilities.
Can someone slap some answers into me, please?

The Sigma 30/2.8 is a no-brainer, I think. It's got wonderful sharpness and tonality and the price can't be beat. If I was buying something more expensive, I'd go for the 35/1.8, which gets you extra speed and looks completely lovely in what I see on Flickr. Both are good focal lengths for general-purpose use.

Groof

The Sigma 30/2.8 is a no-brainer, I think. It's got wonderful sharpness and tonality and the price can't be beat. If I was buying something more expensive, I'd go for the 35/1.8, which gets you extra speed and looks completely lovely in what I see on Flickr. Both are good focal lengths for general-purpose use.
Wow the Sigma one looks great and is insanely cheap! Might see if I can get one of those for Christmas. I'd like to have something of higher quality but hey, can't pass on what seems to be a great picture quality to price ratio.

A pancake lens would've been preferred, but if there's nothing that can match that in bang for buck I guess that would suffice.

Ok GAF help me out. my budget is $1400

I am in the market for a camera which is not too heavy so maybe SLR is out of the question. I have heard of the Fuji X100S but are there better alternatives?

Ok GAF help me out. my budget is $1400

I am in the market for a camera which is not too heavy so maybe SLR is out of the question. I have heard of the Fuji X100S but are there better alternatives?

Damn, you're just out of range for the A7.

Check out the Fuji X-E2, Panasonic GH3, Olympus E-M1, E-M5 and E-P5, NEX-6. NEX-7 is just about due for an update.

Flo_Evans

u8CLVf2.jpg

hmmm

quick impressions:
The high ISO is glorious. No RAW support in LR or aperture yet, but the jpeg engine does a fantastic job on the noise and color.
AF is straight up D600 - OK not great.
Battery is small and weak. WTF
The dials levers are pure sex... except the front command dial. BARF.
D-pad is mushy, feels like ass.
Live view is a glorious 60fps... no video mode makes me cry.

Flo_Evans

Does it feel like a lame attempt bringing an old body into the digital era? As in is it a cohesive package?

With the right lens yes it feels like a film body. The problem is is all of Nikons new and awesome lenses are 'G', forcing you to use the not so great front command dial.

The AF lever should of been a 3 position switch, the d-pad feels gross (possibly spoiled by ps4 and 3ds d-pads), the new 50 1.8 retro lens should have an aperture ring. All nikon pro lenses should have one IMHO, for the money they charge I should have that option.

My brother bought it and will probably return it. I think it's too much for what it is (nikon tax) I would love it with a d600 class sensor for around $2k as I really don't shoot anything at ISO 12800 and could actually use the MP for product shots.

Really in the same price bracket the d800e is much more bang for your buck unless you are specifically shooting low light all the time. It's kind of a strange mash up of the d4 sensor, some d600 parts (AF, shutter) some really nice knobs and a few crappy ones.

The nail in the coffin for me is no video. There is no excuse in this expensive a product to leave something like that out. I really don't buy the bullshit its "pure" they did it to appease the idiots that somehow think it takes away from the photography side.

I'll just use my FM when I want to scratch that shooting a film camera itch.

Using a d4 and a camera with the d4 sensor is not the same, yeah you get the low light but the speed and precision is not in the same class.

Idk. I need to play some more with it :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
What is everyones thoughts on the NEX 6 right now,is Sony abandoning the E mount and getting rid (or renaming) the NEX line? If so the value of the cameras should drop right?

Radec

What is everyones thoughts on the NEX 6 right now,is Sony abandoning the E mount and getting rid (or renaming) the NEX line? If so the value of the cameras should drop right?

Sony is not abandoning the E mount, they even just released their new flagship mirrorless that uses an E-mount. Sure that's for full frame but it should work no problem on crop NEXs.

Last I've read they will just drop the NEX brand and just name all mirrorless Alpha.

The 6 is a fantastic body with a great sensor and better legacy lens compatibility than the 7. The price is right, too. The 7 is due for an update soon, but I haven't seen any whispers about a 6 replacement.

Sony won't abandon APS-C soon. They're too invested in it. Their full-frame E-mount stuff seems intended as their premium mirrorless line.

u8CLVf2.jpg

hmmm

quick impressions:
The high ISO is glorious. No RAW support in LR or aperture yet, but the jpeg engine does a fantastic job on the noise and color.

Honestly I'm more jealous of the 105 DC :p Really want to pick up either that or the 135 for a portrait lens one of these days.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The 6 is a fantastic body with a great sensor and better legacy lens compatibility than the 7. The price is right, too. The 7 is due for an update soon, but I haven't seen any whispers about a 6 replacement.

Sony won't abandon APS-C soon. They're too invested in it. Their full-frame E-mount stuff seems intended as their premium mirrorless line.

The 7's place in the world confuses me, as if they are renaming the nex line to Alpha, and the Full Frame A7 just got released, what do they call the NEX (alpha) 7 refresh?

jourdy

I just bought an A7 a few hours ago.
The kit lens (28-70) seems to be not that good.

I have been using an NEX-6 with a Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 and that combo looked much cleaner and crisp than what I've taken in the 28-70 in the few hours I've tested it. I wasn't planning on getting an A7 yet but somebody offered to buy my NEX-6 and Zeiss lens for a really good price. Might never have this chance again so I went ahead and sold it and got an A7.

Now a few questions..

I am just starting with photography.. and thus I have no equipment whatsoever or knowledge regarding what's good or not. What would be a good lens for the A7? I have read that the 35mm f/1.8 and the upcoming 55mm f/1.8 are really great glasses. Is it worth the $1k+?

Radec

I just bought an A7 a few hours ago.
The kit lens (28-70) seems to be not that good.

I have been using an NEX-6 with a Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 and that combo looked much cleaner and crisp than what I've taken in the 28-70 in the few hours I've tested it. I wasn't planning on getting an A7 yet but somebody offered to buy my NEX-6 and Zeiss lens for a really good price. Might never have this chance again so I went ahead and sold it and got an A7.

Now a few questions..

I am just starting with photography.. and thus I have no equipment whatsoever or knowledge regarding what's good or not. What would be a good lens for the A7? I have read that the 35mm f/1.8 and the upcoming 55mm f/1.8 are really great glasses. Is it worth the $1k+?

I have tried the new 35mm sonnar earlier and it was pretty great for its size and max aperture (2,8). Was surprised how small it was as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSB79KU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The (re)sale value of Nex cameras has already dropped months ago.

E mount remains. the new Full Frame cameras use the same mount.

However, NEX brandname ditched, Sony likely to produce more APS-C cameras (though none announced at this point), but the small rangefinder form factor in doubt (more DSLR-like, like the A3000), Full Frame lens development likely to divert resources away from APS-C development so the "golden years" of NEX are behind us.

Your confusion/fear is understandable. Sony forums have been a bit in disarray on this issue. The company is indifferent and does not bother to make statements to quash ambiguity about the future

Groof

Consider they just released the NEX 5T, could it not be possible they're aiming for a NEX 3/5 with the current APS-C setup while the 6/7 will go towards full frame?

I mean, as a NEX 5R only owner, hearing that they might drop the APS-C stuff, and by extension support, is very concerning.

MRORANGE

u8CLVf2.jpg

hmmm

quick impressions:
With the right lens yes it feels like a film body. The problem is is all of Nikons new and awesome lenses are 'G', forcing you to use the not so great front command dial.

The AF lever should of been a 3 position switch, the d-pad feels gross (possibly spoiled by ps4 and 3ds d-pads), the new 50 1.8 retro lens should have an aperture ring. All nikon pro lenses should have one IMHO, for the money they charge I should have that option.

My brother bought it and will probably return it. I think it's too much for what it is (nikon tax) I would love it with a d600 class sensor for around $2k as I really don't shoot anything at ISO 12800 and could actually use the MP for product shots.

Really in the same price bracket the d800e is much more bang for your buck unless you are specifically shooting low light all the time. It's kind of a strange mash up of the d4 sensor, some d600 parts (AF, shutter) some really nice knobs and a few crappy ones.

The nail in the coffin for me is no video. There is no excuse in this expensive a product to leave something like that out. I really don't buy the bullshit its "pure" they did it to appease the idiots that somehow think it takes away from the photography side.

I'll just use my FM when I want to scratch that shooting a film camera itch.

Using a d4 and a camera with the d4 sensor is not the same, yeah you get the low light but the speed and precision is not in the same class.

Idk. I need to play some more with it :)

Can it do HDMI Output? Maybe you can do external video recording though that to record?

Flo_Evans

Can it do HDMI Output? Maybe you can do external video recording though that to record?

It has an HDMI out... but the options are 480p, 720p..... and 1080i

I don't have an external HDMI capture device so I can't really test it. Really fucking strange that it does not do 1080p though. Might try hooking it straight to TV and playing around to see what I can get.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Got a Fuji X-E2 with kit lens and 35mm F1.4R recently. The 35mm is super gorgeous. Kit lens I mostly got for shits and giggles; it's very solid across the range and could be useful on set photography gigs where I want some more flexibility moment to moment, but the 35mm is so sharp and bright and the bokeh's so good that I'll probably always want it attached. Happy with the purchase, but it's just a stopgap until the mirrorless full frame future matures a bit.

Got a Fuji X-E2 with kit lens and 35mm F1.4R recently. The 35mm is super gorgeous. Kit lens I mostly got for shits and giggles; it's very solid across the range and could be useful on set photography gigs where I want some more flexibility moment to moment, but the 35mm is so sharp and bright and the bokeh's so good that I'll probably always want it attached. Happy with the purchase, but it's just a stopgap until the mirrorless full frame future matures a bit.

yeah i got an X-E1 with the 35mm about a year ago, skipped the kit zoom completely although i hear it's very good. still, i now have the 18mm and 60mm lenses to cover the same range, so i guess there's even less need for the kit.

the 35mm is so good that you'll be more than happy with that for a while. i only got the 18mm for its size and the 60mm for macro.

Evilore's Fuji X100 finally retired.

i still use my X100 more than my X-E1, though — you can't beat the combination of size, viewfinder, and the most broadly useful prime lens available in the system.

it's unquestionably my favourite digital camera ever made, even more so after the recent firmware update. evilore should keep his around!

So I have a Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) with a standard 18-55mm kit lense, and I'm looking to get some nd grad filters for it - what size should I be looking at for a kit? I have no clue what I'm looking for and don't want to get it wrong - is 85mm right? The holder then slots the filters themselves right?

thenexus6

Übermatik;93510154 said:
So I have a Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) with a standard 18-55mm kit lense, and I'm looking to get some nd grad filters for it - what size should I be looking at for a kit? I have no clue what I'm looking for and don't want to get it wrong - is 85mm right? The holder then slots the filters themselves right?

The 3.5 - 5.6 lens has a 58mm thread for filters

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Evilore's Fuji X100 finally retired.

Naw, still my go-to travel camera, just wanted something for non-travel use cases where the form factor doesn't matter as much. Movie set photography, environmental portraiture and the like.

Ideal travel camera would be a FF sensor with a sharp, bright 35mm, like the rx1 but less of a P&S toy. I imagine that'll be real in 2014 one way or another.

RoKKeR

Looking for some lens suggestions here...

I currently only have a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 Sigma zoom lens that I've been using exclusively since I got my camera back in August. I'm now looking for something else. I've found myself shooting a lot of events for the newspaper at my university and oftentimes this has me close to a stage in fairly shitty lighting. A logical next step is a prime where I can get a little bit more light for events like these, and to just have a fast prime.

I've been looking at this 30mm 1.4 and it seems like a really solid little lens overall... http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/30mm-f14-dc-hsm-a

...BUT, it has led me to look at arguably one of the best reviewed lenses of the year, the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 zoom which by almost every account I've read is a fantastic lens. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-art

Both good options I think and overall they would suit what I'm looking for. The price discrepancy isn't huge and is not something I'm worried about. I guess the only things that I am thinking about are the trade-offs between weight and portability with the prime, and the versatility of the zoom lens.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is it worth having that light little prime? Or, as many reviewers have said, is that 18-35mm a worthy replacement for a prime (or even two wide primes)?

diaspora

70-200mm f/4L = $600
70-200mm f/4L IS = $1480

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

Anyway, I'm debating as to whether I ought to shoot for the 17-40mm f/4L ($700) or the 24-105mm ($820). My other lenses are a 70-300, a 28mm, and 50mm. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom