• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw, still my go-to travel camera, just wanted something for non-travel use cases where the form factor doesn't matter as much. Movie set photography, environmental portraiture and the like.

Ideal travel camera would be a FF sensor with a sharp, bright 35mm, like the rx1 but less of a P&S toy. I imagine that'll be real in 2014 one way or another.

i dunno that you'll ever see an FF 35mm f/2 in the X100's form factor, since you say you're using it as a travel camera where size is important.

the X100's lens and sensor combination is already a small marvel. i don't expect it to be topped for what it is any time soon — i actually think fujifilm's apparent desire to keep focusing on great APS-C lenses is a strength. sony's FF mirrorless lineup so far is unimpressive and impractical.

yeah but the lens is huge, making it much harder to pop into a small bag or jacket pocket etc. you said you were gonna use the X100 over the X-E2 for form factor reasons, and the only difference between those two is the lens (unless you're using the 27mm pancake, which is almost as small albeit without an aperture ring).

not to take anything away from sony, the RX1 is a crazy achievement. i just don't think the laws of physics will allow for a full-frame X100 without compromising one of the reasons i love it so much, and the trade-off probably wouldn't be worth it to me.

WWGD

What would GAF do.

So basically im getting the itch to upgrade to a full frame DSLR, but of course budget is always a problem.

I currently own a Canon 7D with the following lenses:

11-16mm 2.8 Tokina
50 mm 1.4 Canon
24-105mm 4L Canon
70-200mm 2.8 Canon

The only way my budget can support me getting the cheapest FF Camera I want (Canon 6D), would be to sell my 7D and the 11-16mm, I love the Tokina but it would be of no use in the 6D anyway.

Should I do it? the 6D has less Focus points and I do take tons of pictures of my kids that never stop moving. But I do gain Wifi and GPS, my wife would adore the addition of Wi fi so she can share pictures right away in her cell phone instead of waiting 2 months for me to empty the CF card in a computer.

I just want dat IQ.

diaspora

WWGD

What would GAF do.

So basically im getting the itch to upgrade to a full frame DSLR, but of course budget is always a problem.

I currently own a Canon 7D with the following lenses:

11-16mm 2.8 Tokina
50 mm 1.4 Canon
24-105mm 4L Canon
70-200mm 2.8 Canon

The only way my budget can support me getting the cheapest FF Camera I want (Canon 6D), would be to sell my 7D and the 11-16mm, I love the Tokina but it would be of no use in the 6D anyway.

Should I do it? the 6D has less Focus points and I do take tons of pictures of my kids that never stop moving. But I do gain Wifi and GPS, my wife would adore the addition of Wi fi so she can share pictures right away in her cell phone instead of waiting 2 months for me to empty the CF card in a computer.

I just want dat IQ.

IMO, it's worth it, while there are fewer focus points, the ones it has, particularly the central one is outstanding in lower light.

Guys, I'd really appreciate it if someone answered my question:

Übermatik;93512182 said:
Ok, so I need an adapter ring, a holder, and then the filters themselves, right?

So this,

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Plastic-Holders-~74.html

This,

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/ND-Grad-Soft-Edge~90.html

And this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004UT6DJY/

Will work together, right? Are Hitech any good, or do you recommend anything else?

As I'm still a bit clueless about all this, I need to get it right!

Syntek

Übermatik;93763717 said:
Guys, I'd really appreciate it if someone answered my question:

As I'm still a bit clueless about all this, I need to get it right!
Hitech filters are good value, worth the step up from Cokins for a little more money.

Not sure what that T2 lens adapter is, but just going by the pics, it's not what you want. The Hitech 85mm holder is exactly the same as the Cokin P holder, they both take the same filters. Both slides onto a disc ring that has an outer diameter of 85mm and inner diameter that matches your lens.

This for example would be for a 77mm lens:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010841A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes, it's pricey for basically a piece of plastic and a filter ring. If you have to buy a ring for every lens, then the costs add up quickly. There are plenty of e-bay knockoffs for pennies. Apparently some are okay. But the ones I bought are so badly warped that filters don't even come close to fitting.

Hitech also makes an aluminum 85mm holder, much higher quality than the plastic version, but obviously heavier and more expensive. I sprung for this myself because I prefer the mounting mechanism by far. Problem is, only Hitech makes the matching adapter rings; generic e-bay ones won't work.

Hitech filters are good value, worth the step up from Cokins for a little more money.

Not sure what that T2 lens adapter is, but just going by the pics, it's not what you want. The Hitech 85mm holder is exactly the same as the Cokin P holder, they both take the same filters. Both slides onto a disc ring that has an outer diameter of 85mm and inner diameter that matches your lens.

This for example would be for a 77mm lens:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010841A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes, it's pricey for basically a piece of plastic and a filter ring. If you have to buy a ring for every lens, then the costs add up quickly. There are plenty of e-bay knockoffs for pennies. Apparently some are okay. But the ones I bought are so badly warped that filters don't even come close to fitting.

Hitech also makes an aluminum 85mm holder, much higher quality than the plastic version, but obviously heavier and more expensive. I sprung for this myself because I prefer the mounting mechanism by far. Problem is, only Hitech makes the matching adapter rings; generic e-bay ones won't work.

Aweome, thanks for your help! So getting the product you linked as opposed to the Canon ring I posted would be better? So those Hitech filters for £35 (https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/ND-Grad-Soft-Edge~90.html) plus the Cokin holder (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010841A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20) would be enough? Or do I need something else as well? And is it possible to find a holder similar to the Cokin one, but a little cheaper? I'm trying not to exceed £50...

Once again, thanks a lot! I need to get this right, and all this is helping me understand a bit more :)

Syntek

Übermatik;93794733 said:
Aweome, thanks for your help! So getting the product you linked as opposed to the Canon ring I posted would be better? So those Hitech filters for £35 (https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/ND-Grad-Soft-Edge~90.html) plus the Cokin holder (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010841A6/?tag=neogaf0e-20) would be enough? Or do I need something else as well? And is it possible to find a holder similar to the Cokin one, but a little cheaper? I'm trying not to exceed £50...

Once again, thanks a lot! I need to get this right, and all this is helping me understand a bit more :)

Yep, that'll do if your lens has a 77mm thread. I'm only using it as an example.
If your lens has 58mm thread, grab the set with 58mm ring instead, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00111TVZ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can find knockoffs or various prices/quality, from $1 no brand, to $30+ for the original Cokin P, or the $70+ aluminum Hitech. They all slot the same 85mm filters. Obviously, the $1 ones flex a lot, and generally fit poorly, but I'm sure there's a middleground somewhere.

IMO, It's okay to skimp on the holder/adapter, but it's worth spending more on the actual filters themselves. Hitechs are solid up to ND0.9(3stops). Cheaper Cokins get some magenta casts at that range. All depends on how much you can tolerate.

Also, you don't really need a set of 3 smooth edge gradients. I'd personally opt for one hard edge and smooth edge at ND0.9 each, for the long- and wide-end of your zoom, respectively. Remember it's a gradient, and the ND ratings refer to the darkest section. This makes ND0.3 very very weak, unless you stack them together.

Yep, that'll do if your lens has a 77mm thread. I'm only using it as an example.
If your lens has 58mm thread, grab the set with 58mm ring instead, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00111TVZ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can find knockoffs or various prices/quality, from $1 no brand, to $30+ for the original Cokin P, or the $70+ aluminum Hitech. They all slot the same 85mm filters. Obviously, the $1 ones flex a lot, and generally fit poorly, but I'm sure there's a middleground somewhere.

IMO, It's okay to skimp on the holder/adapter, but it's worth spending more on the actual filters themselves. Hitechs are solid up to ND0.9(3stops). Cheaper Cokins get some magenta casts at that range. All depends on how much you can tolerate.

Also, you don't really need a set of 3 smooth edge gradients. I'd personally opt for one hard edge and smooth edge at ND0.9 each, for the long- and wide-end of your zoom, respectively. Remember it's a gradient, and the ND ratings refer to the darkest section. This makes ND0.3 very very weak, unless you stack them together.

Awesome, thanks for your help! I have a 18-55mm Canon kit lens, so what thread is that?

*EDIT* I've searched and it comes up as 58mm... that's right, yeah?

I have the option to get a Nikon D3200 for free. I currently have a NEX-5R. Would it be a worthy upgrade?

It's not really an upgrade. It's just a different style of body. You'll get a viewfinder, 8 more megapixels, and compatibility with Nikon AF lenses... otherwise, it's a lateral move. Think about what kind of lenses you want to use going forward, and decide based on that.

Groof

It's not really an upgrade. It's just a different style of body. You'll get a viewfinder, 8 more megapixels, and compatibility with Nikon AF lenses... otherwise, it's a lateral move. Think about what kind of lenses you want to use going forward, and decide based on that.

Hmm, well the viewfinder alone seems to be a big step forward, considering I've found myself countless times at the mercy of the sun with just the LCD screen. And considering the price of the NEX EVF...
What sort of difference would I find with the Nikon vs NEX lenses? Better support?

MRORANGE

Hmm, well the viewfinder alone seems to be a big step forward, considering I've found myself countless times at the mercy of the sun with just the LCD screen. And considering the price of the NEX EVF...
What sort of difference would I find with the Nikon vs NEX lenses? Better support?

Yes x100, DSLRS pretty much have decades of lenses available,with Nikon you pretty much have nearly 5 decades of lenses to use on the d3200.

Sony NEX lens line-up would be pretty spareseif it wasn't for 3rd parties, even then DSLR's have so many options you may end up buying several lenses and not stopping :)

PS: the best choice on Nikon DX cameras:

soACoiP.png

Groof

Yes x100, DSLRS pretty much have decades of lenses available,with Nikon you pretty much have nearly 5 decades of lenses to use on the d3200.

Sony NEX lens line-up would be pretty spareseif it wasn't for 3rd parties, even then DSLR's have so many options you may end up buying several lenses and not stopping :)

soACoiP.png

Hmm, might just go for the D3200 then and use it as my main shooter on long trips and the NEX-5R for every day out and about shooting. I've been reading up on it and it seems pretty good.
It was either the D3200 or an iPad 4.

Pagusas

Elden Member

soACoiP.png

To be fair though one of the best part of the NEX camera's has been the adapter support for other brand lenses. I've played with a NEX with a 35mm canon 1.4L and loved it (though a had to hold a bit differently) and it worked extremely well. Yeah its not like native support, but you're definately not limited to only E mounts.

Still though, who cares anymore about any of these after the A7. After holding one I'm in love.

Groof

Oh, and this might be a stupid question but it's been bugging me for a while: do the full-frame E-mount lenses still work with previous E-mount cameras? I mean they should right?

tino

Banned
Oh, and this might be a stupid question but it's been bugging me for a while: do the full-frame E-mount lenses still work with previous E-mount cameras? I mean they should right?

They do (for the price they charge you the FE lens should do sandwich for you as well).

Chao

GAF, I need your help!

My dad wants to buy a mirrorless compact camera.
He asked me for advice but after researching countless comparisons and spec sheets the only thing I know for sure is that he likes one of those Sony NEX 5 cameras. I think he was also looking at a Nikon 1 V2

I know nothing about these (except for what I've read about them so far):
Would you recommend it? Are there better models on the same range?
Is it compatible with regular DSLR lenses or do you have to use special lenses?
Do you have experience with this model or any other mirrorless compact cameras?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Groof

So I got my Nikon D3200 yesterday and man, after the NEX-5 it feels so unwieldy. It came with the 18-55 VR kit lens.
The shortcomings of both devices became really apparent very quickly too, and it seems like one excels in the area the other does not in almost every beat. Going to be fun playing with this for a while.

Aurongel

I am NEVER attaching a battery grip to a DSLR again. I got one for Christmas this morning and the damn thumbwheel lock stripped itself while I was unscrewing it and now it's permanently stuck on my Canon 60D. What an absolute headache on Christmas morning.

On the other hand, the Yongnuo YN565 EX I also picked up works marvelously! Would definitely recommend it over the far pricier Canon equivalent.

Heh. Never knew this thread existed. For Christmas I got a Nikon 35mm film camera.

rKosYzr.jpg

It was my grandpa's, given to me because I've developed an interest in film photography. My previous film camera was a Pentax K1000.

I gotta say, as far as "bells and whistles" are concerned, I'm liking this camera a lot more. Depth of field preview, ability to turn the light meter on and off without having to cap the lens, easier to take multiple exposures of the same frame, self-timer, being able to see shutter speed, f-stop, along with the light meter through the viewfinder.

Of course, what matters is the pictures. Can't wait to finish a roll and see what they look like.

MRORANGE

Heh. Never knew this thread existed. For Christmas I got a Nikon 35mm film camera.

http://i.imgur.com/rKosYzr.jpg[/mg]

It was my grandpa's, given to me because I've developed an interest in film photography. My previous film camera was a Pentax K1000.

I gotta say, as far as "bells and whistles" are concerned, I'm liking this camera a lot more. Depth of field preview, ability to turn the light meter on and off without having to cap the lens, easier to take multiple exposures of the same frame, self-timer, being able to see shutter speed, f-stop, along with the light meter through the viewfinder.

Of course, what matters is the pictures. Can't wait to finish a roll and see what they look like.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I believe that's a Nikon FM? I saw one with the pancake E type 50mm 1.8 which was really tempting. Do you scan your film or get your photos done at a lab?

tino

Banned
Very well kept Nikon manual body. If its the FM2, its the last all manual mechanical body. You should get a fast 50/1.4,f/1.2 AIS lens to unleash the body's full potential.

Damaged

rKosYzr.jpg

Of course, what matters is the pictures. Can't wait to finish a roll and see what they look like.

Nice one! I have an FE which is a very similar camera. Great fun to use and they are bullet proof, have mine 17 years now and it's been dropped, soaked in the rain, etc.. And the only thing that has needed fixing was the light seals that had finally perished a few months ago.

Enjoy the new (to you anyway) camera, looking forward to seeing your shots in the photography thread!

nOoblet16

So I'm getting myself a Canon 70D body only mostly because from my past experience I've found that the kit lenses are usually crap.

Now I'm getting the EF 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens, any suggestions on what other lens I should buy? I'd prefer something for close range/macro, and my budget for the additional lens is £300 at max.

Or should I just buy the camera with an 18-55 kit lens along with the 55-250?

Sec0nd

Alright guys, I'm in need for some advice. I've got some spending money from Christmas from the parents. I've always wanted a proper stabiliser/glidecam for my Canon t3i. I really love the smooth shots from people like Devinsupertramp. I was searching through some of the webshops and I found some Sevenoak stabilisators that are relatively affordable, like the SK-SW02 MID or the SK-SW03 MINI. I can't find any proper test footage of the rigs so I really don't know how well they preform. I was wondering if there are some people with experience with stabilisators.

So I'm getting myself a Canon 70D body only mostly because from my past experience I've found that the kit lenses are usually crap.

Now I'm getting the EF 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens, any suggestions on what other lens I should buy? I'd prefer something for close range/macro, and my budget for the additional lens is £300 at max.

Or should I just buy the camera with an 18-55 kit lens along with the 55-250?

I don't know your shooting habits, your experience level and tbh I have no expertise in the Canon lens world, but I can recommend the Sigma 17-70 as an OKish alternative for a kit lens that has a minimum focusing distance of 22cm. The older version is around 300 BPS, I guess.
Sigma 17-70 Macro
A cheaper macro alternative for a beginner would be the 18-55 kit lens together with extension tubes.
Example of Macro extension tubes

GAF, I need your help!

My dad wants to buy a mirrorless compact camera.
He asked me for advice but after researching countless comparisons and spec sheets the only thing I know for sure is that he likes one of those Sony NEX 5 cameras. I think he was also looking at a Nikon 1 V2

I know nothing about these (except for what I've read about them so far):
Would you recommend it? Are there better models on the same range?
Is it compatible with regular DSLR lenses or do you have to use special lenses?
Do you have experience with this model or any other mirrorless compact cameras?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sony NEX line has some great bodies but the lens lineup is still subpar due to a lack of variety and the Zeiss lenses being overpriced.

The Nikon 1 series has some great bodies with faster autofocus than the NEX series but the sensor is much smaller so you won't get that shallow depth of field look as easily. There's some decent 1 specific lenses but you can also use all of the Nikon DSLR lineup with an adapter. The DSLR lenses are generally too big in use for the tiny Nikon 1 bodies.

Fuji has the awesome XE and Xpro mirror less lines which have fantastic lenses but they are expensive and the bodies still aren't up to par operation wise for some people.

Panasonic and Olympus have mirrorless lines based on the micro 4/3 format. There cameras in the NEX 5 range would be the Olympus EM5 or Panasonix GX7 or Olympus EP5. The sensor is slightly smaller than Fuji or Sony but the lenses are also smaller and they have to best native lineup of any mirrorless maker.

nOoblet16

Isn't the 55-250 4-5.6 a kit lens?

Nope the only two options are 18-55 and 18-135.
I don't know your shooting habits, your experience level and tbh I have no expertise in the Canon lens world, but I can recommend the Sigma 17-70 as an OKish alternative for a kit lens that has a minimum focusing distance of 22cm. The older version is around 300 BPS, I guess.
Sigma 17-70 Macro
A cheaper macro alternative for a beginner would be the 18-55 kit lens together with extension tubes.
Example of Macro extension tubes

I mostly do large low light landscapes and macros.
As for my experience, I'd consider myself intermediate....good enough to see myself being limited by entry level hardware.

RayStorm

As for my experience, I'd consider myself intermediate....good enough to see myself being limited by entry level hardware.

You may want to have a look at reviews for the tele-lens you chose then. It a) does come bundled with other Canon bodies (which obviously inherently is not a bad thing) but also appears to not be reviewed all that well.

Personally I'd rather have one good lens instead of two middling ones and wait for some more money before expanding to another good lens.

Hey, that's a nice one. Congrats!
Thanks! I was grinning from ear to ear when I opened the package.
Nice, I believe that's a Nikon FM? I saw one with the pancake E type 50mm 1.8 which was really tempting. Do you scan your film or get your photos done at a lab?
Mhm. Yes, sir, it is definitely a Nikon FM. I have a picture of the instruction manual up on on Twitter.

I get my photos done at a lab, usually at Walgreens. I'll probably develop my own film eventually, but right now I'm in college focusing on other things...don't really have the time.

I never developed an interest in photography until I handled a film camera for the first time. I love shooting on film; it's a lot more fun than shooting digital for me because it's a far more tactile experience. I love how you can faintly feel the film winding through the camera, I love the tension when pulling the film-advance lever, and I love the very physical click of the shutter opening and the mirrors for the viewfinder lifting up. The metal casing feels fantastic in your hands, and I really enjoy the anticipation of seeing how your pictures turned out.

Very well kept Nikon manual body. If its the FM2, its the last all manual mechanical body. You should get a fast 50/1.4,f/1.2 AIS lens to unleash the body's full potential.
Nah, Nikon FM. :)
Nice one! I have an FE which is a very similar camera. Great fun to use and they are bullet proof, have mine 17 years now and it's been dropped, soaked in the rain, etc.. And the only thing that has needed fixing was the light seals that had finally perished a few months ago.

Enjoy the new (to you anyway) camera, looking forward to seeing your shots in the photography thread!
Where's the photography thread? Are we not allowed to post pictures in here?

Then I would think that the 18-55 kit lens really would make no sense for your needs.
On the other hand dedicated macro and wide lenses with good quality will break your limit of 300 bucks. Maybe the zoom I suggested above is a reasonable compromise. But especially for landscapes nothing comes close to a dedicated wide lens with a focal range around 10 to 24 mm.

Where's the photography thread? Are we not allowed to post pictures in here?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691245

Been trying out the Nikon FM and I gotta say the light meter is a lot more sensitive than the Pentax K1000's. Most of the time I only seem to manage to get the light meter to read between a fifth of a stop and a full stop of being underexposed or overexposed.

In those instances, I choose risking underexposure. Very curious to see how these pictures turn out.

An update to the NEX-6 should pretty much be happening very soon, right?

It is expected, like the NEX7, with a big photo expo event in February (I think). Only rumors and conjectures at this point.

Nothing official though and Sony has not been helping with confusing statements since the A7 annoucement. They make it sound like they're abandoning their APS-C mirrorless line (NEX) which would be silly of them. It makes camera forums entertaining to read though. :)

Groof

It is expected, like the NEX7, with a big photo expo event in February (I think). Only rumors and conjectures at this point.

Nothing official though and Sony has not been helping with confusing statements since the A7 annoucement. They make it sound like they're abandoning their APS-C mirrorless line (NEX) which would be silly of them. It makes camera forums entertaining to read though. :)

Man, all the way in February? That's like, less than two months away!
Looking forward to it anyhow. Might get rid of the stuff I got now and go for a refreshed NEX 6 instead.

Okay, so I need a hand here... I just got some filters for Christmas and I'm having trouble attaching my adapter ring to my lens. It's a Cokin P series adapter ring 58mm and the lens is an EFS 18-55mm. Does it snap on? Screw on? I'm scared of breaking it, as there's a very fine thread along the rim of it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Übermatik;95051026 said:
Okay, so I need a hand here... I just got some filters for Christmas and I'm having trouble attaching my adapter ring to my lens. It's a Cokin P series adapter ring 58mm and the lens is an EFS 18-55mm. Does it snap on? Screw on? I'm scared of breaking it, as there's a very fine thread along the rim of it.

Screw it in. Be gentle. When you've got the threads aligned right it should go easily.

Iacobellis

Canon 70D: Yay or nay?

I've had a D3100 for about 20 months now, and it has been serving me well for photography. The only investments I've made into it are a 35 1.8G and SB-400, not much that I'd be parting with if I were to switch brands.

For video, the 70D looks to be a phenomenal performer, easily besting my current DSLR and most likely anything else Nikon makes. $950 for just the body on Amazon.com doesn't seem like too steep of a price, either. The question is, how well does it do for actual photo taking? Of course I would be getting a higher MP count, a higher number of photos per second, better ISO range, and a crisper LCD screen to review my content, etc..

But, would a similarly priced camera, such as the D7100 outperform it when it comes to photography? I've always liked the feel of my Nikon better than my friend's T4i, the button and dial placement seems more logical and the lenses themselves tend to have a better grip. Releasing the shutter button also feels more satisfactory on mine, but that could just be a placebo.

Ugh, I feel so conflicted.

RuGalz

Canon's lower end dslr (i.e. the whole rebel line) feels cheap, high end one are not bad. D7100 will outperform 70D in term of still photography. Canon has upper hand when it comes to video features. Unless video is that important to you, D7100 would be a better choice if you like Nikon's ergonomic. (personally, ergonomic is pretty high on my importance list so YMMV) Don't forget the lens' zoom ring turns the opposite directions too.

Iacobellis

The D7100 will almost certainly have better sensor IQ than the Canon. Even as a Canon shooter myself, it's hard to recommend Canon's crop sensor cameras these days... theD7100 won't disappoint you.

Canon's lower end dslr (i.e. the whole rebel line) feels cheap, high end one are not bad. D7100 will outperform 70D in term of still photography. Canon has upper hand when it comes to video features. Unless video is that important to you, D7100 would be a better choice if you like Nikon's ergonomic. (personally, ergonomic is pretty high on my importance list so YMMV) Don't forget the lens' zoom ring turns the opposite directions too.

That's what I figured, I've always been thinking it as Nikon for photography and Canon for videography. I'll still have to look into either camera. I don't mind switching brands since I've only spent maybe an additional $350 on the Nikon line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom