• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I figured, I've always been thinking it as Nikon for photography and Canon for videography. I'll still have to look into either camera. I don't mind switching brands since I've only spent maybe an additional $350 on the Nikon line.

The 7100 certainly won't be a slouch in terms of video, though the 70D does have it's nifty autofocus abilities in video mode.

If you have to ask with this much camera in your hands, maybe you should downgrade?
It wouldn't be that useful to learn a 5DM3 if I wasn't going to use it.

Like, I've taken photos here and there and liked how they turned out but I'm not really familiar with settings and how to really use the thing. Get my drift?

cbox

It wouldn't be that useful to learn a 5DM3 if I wasn't going to use it.

Like, I've taken photos here and there and liked how they turned out but I'm not really familiar with settings and how to really use the thing. Get my drift?

Well it's kinda like buying a porsche 911 gt3 as your first car.

--

Like any other creative craft, the best way to learn is to experiment.

Well it's kinda like buying a porsche 911 gt3 as your first car.

Not knowing how to use a 5DM3 won't get you killed.

If you have the money and are certain you have the interest, why not? I think one could get frustrated at the money spent versus immediate results, since no amount of money buys talent and experience, but with expectations set appropriately their shouldn't be a problem.

What's a good starting point for learning how to use my camera? 5DM3

Jeez man, that's a way to start.

Hum, if you want to know the camera just read the manual. First DSLR was a Canon and i kinda got how it worked right away, the 5D can't be that much more complicated.

If you want to learn about exposure, i don't know, others will provide better resources than i could. But my advice is to practice your reciprocals. Like, daily, with the camera on hand, practice practice practice and you'll quickly get a good handle of the math and limitations of your gear.

tino

Banned
Get the holy trinity of Canon L lens EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM to unlock the true power of your 5D Mark III. Remember red ring = quality.

Magni

I don't know your shooting habits, your experience level and tbh I have no expertise in the Canon lens world, but I can recommend the Sigma 17-70 as an OKish alternative for a kit lens that has a minimum focusing distance of 22cm. The older version is around 300 BPS, I guess.
Sigma 17-70 Macro
A cheaper macro alternative for a beginner would be the 18-55 kit lens together with extension tubes.
Example of Macro extension tubes

I have that 17-70 for Pentax, absolutely love it. It's not a pure macro lens of course, but if you're just going to have two lenses do you really just want a macro lens and a telezoom?

tino

Banned
Did you guys notice the price of Canon 17-55mm 2.8 has dropped from 1200 to 780. IMO its clear indication that Canon is discontinuing the 7D line. Going forward its going to be either 70D 80D or FF.

cbox

Get the holy trinity of Canon L lens EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM to unlock the true power of your 5D Mark III. Remember red ring = quality.

Ahhh this is probably a joke, but I've seen it so many times in the wedding photo biz.

RayStorm

I think I have reached the point in my life as a photographer where I would like to manipulate light.

Aside from some studio flashes I used not too long ago so far I have mostly done available light photography with my Nikon D600 (while mostly ignoring directions and shadows). But I digress... Is there a consensus on which flash for Nikon offers the best value? I would like one that works seamlessly with my equipment and offers flexibility for future upgrades (like multiple flashes, external power sources for more rapid flashing etc.). And I have come to appreciate having a modeling light to assess the way the lighting/flash will turn out.

Thank you.

Can anyone recommend a camera for me? I've been using a Canon Powershot A540 for years, and I'm feeling limited by it. I'm not doing professional work, but I'd like higher quality in my pictures. However, I can't spend tons of money on lenses, and it seems like all major cameras require extra lenses for most situations.

I could spend around $300. Should I try to get a system that's a few years old with the basic stuff I need, or should I settle for a more competent compact camera since I need both closeups and a bit of zoom?

I mostly do in-door shots (in my light tent), but I sometimes take landscape pictures outside. Filming in 1080p would be a definite plus. Being able to take good instant pictures of people too would be nice.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Can anyone recommend a camera for me? I've been using a Canon Powershot A540 for years, and I'm feeling limited by it. I'm not doing professional work, but I'd like higher quality in my pictures. However, I can't spend tons of money on lenses, and it seems like all major cameras require extra lenses for most situations.

I could spend around $300. Should I try to get a system that's a few years old with the basic stuff I need, or should I settle for a more competent compact camera since I need both closeups and a bit of zoom?

I mostly do in-door shots (in my light tent), but I sometimes take landscape pictures outside. Filming in 1080p would be a definite plus. Being able to take good instant pictures of people too would be nice.

I was in the same position, having used a Powershot S80 for years. Finally took the plunge for a DSLR and have not regretted it.

You should be able to get a secondhand Canon 1000D for less than £100, and a couple of lenses (50mm prime and 18-55 kit zoom) for about £100 each, and that's a pretty good place to start. (I'd stick with Canon if I were you, as you'll be familiar-ish with the controls).

Don't know if that's the direction you want to go though, and I don't know much about compacts these days.

Aurongel

Just got back from my trip to Austin.

Austin TX has some fantastic camera stores, I've never been to a camera store that actually let me mount some glass to my camera without a bunch of hassle.

As it turns out, the 70-200mm f2.8L is heavy as hell like everyone says.

RuGalz

I would say stick to more competent compact unless you are interested in learning photography. Otherwise you aren't going to get that much more out of a bigger camera. Ooth, Pentax MX1 silver is like 229 at Adorama right now.

Donos

Got myself a used (1 month old) Sony NEX-6 (and a HVL-F20M flash) as an upgrade over my NEX-5R and i love it. Don't mind the bulkier/bigger body. The EVF, the manual dials and the integrated flash and hotshoe are totally worth it.
I try to shoot everyday and i take my camera with me every day. Getting better and better. Mostly using A mode and experimenting in S mode at night.

It's sometimes a bit akward when i'm with friends when i always have my camera in their faces but they are always thankful for the pics afterwards and are suprised from the quality of the pics. Most of them think big DSLR body = quality and small kamera = crap.
One friend guessed that my NEX-6 costs around 150 - 200 € ;)

MY boss really appriciates the good pics i make for work. We only have an old bridgecamera at work who likes to put a smear on every pic so i only use my own.

Beside the kit SEL 1855 (sold the 1650mm PZ) i have a 30mm 2.8 Sigma and an old Canon FD 50mm 1.8 with adapter.

I want the SEL 35mm 1.8 so bad but that fucker is still so expansive, even used. The Sigma is good but after i tested the SEL at a party with low light, i'm in love with this lense.

Only thing i would miss after the SEL35F1.8 is a nice fishey lens. Maybe a walimex.

Beside the kit SEL 1855 (sold the 1650mm PZ) i have a 30mm 2.8 Sigma and an old Canon FD 50mm 1.8 with adapter.

Since my wife is interested in entering the NEX world, how do the both kit lenses 1855 and 1650PZ compare? Is there one we should prefer?
I played with a NEX6 in a shop and it was really neat to handle.

Donos

Since my wife is interested in entering the NEX world, how do the both kit lenses 1855 and 1650PZ compare? Is there one we should prefer?
I played with a NEX6 in a shop and it was really neat to handle.

I read a lot of threads in forums about the comparison and overall people say that the 1855 is a bit better with the picture quality. I only tested it 3 days before i sold it and it was fine. A beginner won't notice a big difference i think. Both have the best performance around 25 - 35 mm.

Thing is that the 1650 is half the size of the 1855 and therefor you can put a NEX-5R and even the 6 into the pockets of your jacket. Since i always have my Incase DSLR sling pack with me, i don't mind the size. I didn't like the electrical motor zoom part. It works but i like the instant/direct feedback when i zoom with the 1855. There is also a small delay when setting the camera on and off (it got improved with the last firmware) with the 1650.

If you buy a NEX-5R/5T or 6 new, the 1650 PZ is the standard kit lens. They don't sell them with the 1855 anymore (some retailers have still leftofters)

If you want the smallest size you can get, the 1650 PZ is the best. I think only the 16mm pancake is smaller.
If you want to get it later, you can get it rather cheap used (100 - 140 €)
I probably will get one cheap along the way for festivals/clubs to have the flexibility of of zoom.

Just my opinion. I would say i'm still a beginner myself so take it with a grain of salt :)

Just my opinion. I would say i'm still a beginner myself so take it with a grain of salt :)

Thank you very much for your impressions! This is very helpful and I don't have to crawl through endless forum threads myself.
I was just unsure if we should consider the body and buy an additional kit or to take the included 1650. Bet my wife prefers the smaller form factor if the optical quality is not total crap. We both aren't pixel peepers...

Donos

Thank you very much for your impressions! This is very helpful and I don't have to crawl through endless forum threads myself.
I was just unsure if we should consider the body and buy an additional kit or to take the included 1650. Bet my wife prefers the smaller form factor if the optical quality is not total crap. We both aren't pixel peepers...

here's a vid with a good side by side comparison. It's an old video but still good just for the comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ykOagQRT4

tino

Banned
So what is the best compact in the $300 range, and how would it compare to a Canon EOS M, which is the one I've been looking at?

You missed the boat on the cheap closeout Canon S110. At your budget check out Pentax MX1 and Fuji XF1. They are not better than EOSM but they have zoom.

These are the same price:

Pentax MX-1
* 12 megapixels
* Remote control
* 1080p30 video
* raw format saves
* 1 cm mininum focus range
* Standard zoom (4x)

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
* 20 megapixels
* 1080p50
* Great zoom (30x)
* Remote control via Android
* 5 cm focus range
* no raw files

I generally like the Sony pictures, but no raw format might be a hassle. It would also be nice with the better zoom (which might compensate for the focus range?), but they say the image quality is slightly worse. Then again it looked mostly fine to me, except for jpg artifacts.

I don't suppose there is a camera that mirrors the Sony but has raw?

tino

Banned
Samsung gets its shit together (sort of), plans to release interesting NX lenses for the first time since... forever.

16-50 f2-2.8 fast zoom
16-50 f3.5-f5.6 pancake zoom

Both lenses with OIS. Here's hoping they're actually good beyond the specs.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

I am quite impressed by the spec. I wonder how big it is going to be. Samsung probably want to send out the press release first before Fuji announce the 2 rumored 2.8 constant zooms.

Unfortunately its Samsung, people won't buy it no matter how good it is.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is a pretty good deal on a Canon t4i (650D) body, right?

http://www.ajrichie.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T4i-Body/p-3055?refid=Ibcart

$379 with free shipping.

Kind of suspicious about the site. Has anyone here used it before?

Scammers: http://www.yelp.com/biz/ajrichies-com-brooklyn

It's really typical for smaller online electronics stores selling cameras and tvs. They call you up to "verify" the order, which turns into a hard upsell, and often times they'll say that they don't have what you ordered in stock, either, and you can have a hard time getting your money back, or they'll hit you with weeks of shipping delays.

Things have a price. Buy legit or used on ebay.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Scammers: http://www.yelp.com/biz/ajrichies-com-brooklyn

It's really typical for smaller online electronics stores selling cameras and tvs. They call you up to "verify" the order, which turns into a hard upsell, and often times they'll say that they don't have what you ordered in stock, either, and you can have a hard time getting your money back, or they'll hit you with weeks of shipping delays.

Things have a price. Buy legit or used on ebay.

Thanks! I rarely shop online outside of Amazon, but should've just Googled it. I didn't even know Yelp did reviews for businesses like this.

vpance

Damaged

Anyone tried the tamron or Sigma 24-70 2.8 lenses for Nikon fit? I can't afford the nikkor lens and was hoping that these would be half decent for the cost.

BJK

Have had my current camera setup for a little over 2 years (T3i + 15-85 IS + 70 - 300 IS + nifty fifty); came into some unexpected money (Christmas bonus @ work)....and I'd like to splurge on a lens with an L in the title.

Sports photography is where I'm most likely to use my camera, and I've taken enough pictures during pro baseball and basketball games to know that 135mm is about my sweet spot for getting pictures in live action.

(Took this last month; plenty of additional samples on my Flickr page.)

Trying to decide between the 70-200L f/4 IS or the 135L f/2 (no IS). Since I'm shooting mostly in arenas and stadiums, shooting with tripod / monopod is not really an option. Does anyone have experience shooting handheld with the 135L f/2.

Leaning towards the 70-200 for its versatility (and IS), but the 135L is a bit cheaper, and all of the reviews I've read are so very complimentary of how sharp the pictures are, meaning I could crop and enlarge photos without losing much image quality. Being able to shoot so wide open (2.0 aperture) with the 135L would be a real blessing for night games or shooting indoors. The 135L is also less likely to get noticed at events that preclude you from carrying in "professional" cameras.

Since I'm probably going to try before I buy, any recommendations for lens rentals would be appreciated as well.

cbox

Well you'll certainly want a quick lens, so the 135 being prime and f/2 will help you out there. The 70-200 is very sharp and the IS will help a bit, though the f/4 is slow but not incredibly slow. Renting is smart as no review on the internet will measure up to your experience with it hands on. Where do you live? I'm in Canada so I have Henrys and Vistek as far as lens rental locations go.

When renting a lens, just do a quick look for dust/dings, etc before signing. Usually the techs at camera stores keep their lenses in good shape.

BJK

Where do you live? I'm in Canada so I have Henrys and Vistek as far as lens rental locations go.

When renting a lens, just do a quick look for dust/dings, etc before signing. Usually the techs at camera stores keep their lenses in good shape.

Central Wisconsin; not a lot of camera stores around here, unfortunately.

Just came across a lot of old film photographs from the 60s/early 70s that my grandfather took. Pretty awesome stuff. Unfortunately, they were in a plastic bag...so I want to organize them.

Are there any 'cooler' ways to put these photos together or should I just settle with buying some crappy photo album from Wal Mart?

Trying to decide between the 70-200L f/4 IS or the 135L f/2 (no IS). Since I'm shooting mostly in arenas and stadiums, shooting with tripod / monopod is not really an option.

IS doesn't help with sports, since you need to freeze the action, not merely your camera moving. Get the f/2.

hitsugi

Question: I picked up a Nex-3N a few months ago, and while I'm relatively pleased with it and the 16-50mm kit lens, I'm trying to find out if there is a universally accepted "best" all around lens for this camera. I've seen the following highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B20OYUO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096W1P5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now, those are both fairly pricey (especially the 35mm), so it's kind of a "pick one" scenario for me at the moment. Does anyone have experience with either lens?

Groof

Question: I picked up a Nex-3N a few months ago, and while I'm relatively pleased with it and the 16-50mm kit lens, I'm trying to find out if there is a universally accepted "best" all around lens for this camera. I've seen the following highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B20OYUO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096W1P5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now, those are both fairly pricey (especially the 35mm), so it's kind of a "pick one" scenario for me at the moment. Does anyone have experience with either lens?

I'm on the lookout for some E-mount lenses as well, and from what I gather the Sigma lenses are top class for a cheap penny. The 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 to be exact. I'm looking at the 30/2.8 which seems to be perfect for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom