• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

I'm on the lookout for some E-mount lenses as well, and from what I gather the Sigma lenses are top class for a cheap penny. The 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 to be exact. I'm looking at the 30/2.8 which seems to be perfect for my needs.

I've also heard great things about the Sigma lenses, and was looking at their 30/2.8 offering as well. My only concern is 1.8 vs 2.8, and whether or not that's worth the $250 premium..

Groof

I've also heard great things about the Sigma lenses, and was looking at their 30/2.8 offering as well. My only concern is 1.8 vs 2.8, and whether or not that's worth the $250 premium..

Yes that's definitely a good concern. If you can afford it and you think it's going to be useful, I'd say go for it. For me personally the Sony lenses are a bit too steep right now and the Sigma ones seem like the best compromise. And if the IQ is as good as people say, the price cannot be beatable.

Cryst

You also miss out on OSS if you go with the Sigma, and along with being able to go down to f1.8, the Sony handles low light like a champ. I have it on my 5N right now and rarely take it off. I get a lot of mileage out of it as a go-to for street photography and the like.

Having said that, it's definitely overpriced, and you might be a little disappointed in what you get out of the box (it feels a little cheap for $450!).

Here's a decent rundown for NEX lenses that doesn't get too crazy with the technical stuff. Maybe it'll help you with your decision.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/these-are-the-first-lenses-you-should-buy-for-a-sony-nex/

Look on the bright side: since there aren't that many lenses in the NEX ecosystem, finding a "best" won't take long, >.>

hitsugi

You also miss out on OSS if you go with the Sigma, and along with being able to go down to f1.8, the Sony handles low light like a champ. I have it on my 5N right now and rarely take it off. I get a lot of mileage out of it as a go-to for street photography and the like.

Having said that, it's definitely overpriced, and you might be a little disappointed in what you get out of the box (it feels a little cheap for $450!).

Here's a decent rundown for NEX lenses that doesn't get too crazy with the technical stuff. Maybe it'll help you with your decision.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/these-are-the-first-lenses-you-should-buy-for-a-sony-nex/

Look on the bright side: since there aren't that many lenses in the NEX ecosystem, finding a "best" won't take long, >.>

Wow. Solid response, and link (I think?), thanks!

It is very difficult to justify the price difference, at the moment at least. I will most likely end up going with the Sigma 30mm

Groof

Wow. Solid response, and link (I think?), thanks!

It is very difficult to justify the price different, at the moment at least. I will most likely end up going with the Sigma 30mm

If you do decide to get it in the near future, I'd love to hear some impressions on it. Might not be able to grab one for myself for at least another couple of months.

Also, I'm really confused as to what to do with my D3200. It's been mostly standing collecting dust, as most of the time I have a hard time justifying bringing it places instead of my NEX. The portability and ease of use is too good to give up.
The only thing that really makes it a step up is the viewfinder and better glass.

Maybe it's just me not having used it too much to understand the benefits completely?

RayStorm

Also, I'm really confused as to what to do with my D3200. It's been mostly standing collecting dust, as most of the time I have a hard time justifying bringing it places instead of my NEX. The portability and ease of use is too good to give up.
The only thing that really makes it a step up is the viewfinder and better glass.

Maybe it's just me not having used it too much to understand the benefits completely?

I believe somebody said that it was a very lateral move for you. And that's pretty much what you are finding out right now I guess. The only really big advantage (as someone who has never used a mirror less camera) would be the bigger selection of lenses for the D3200.

Groof

I believe somebody said that it was a very lateral move for you. And that's pretty much what you are finding out right now I guess. The only really big advantage (as someone who has never used a mirror less camera) would be the bigger selection of lenses for the D3200.
Yeah maybe that's it. The one thing it's making me is regretting getting the nex 5r over the nex 6.
As for lenses, I don't know how invested I'll get into that. So maybe sticking with the simpler lineup is a better idea.

Hey photography gaf!

I'm want to take nicer images :D
Currently, I only have an old P&S (Olympus X-15) and uhm well, my smartphone (SII)...

What I'm REALLY missing is zoom, lower light image quality and making images of moving stuff.
I wouldn't carry it around all the time obviously, but I like taking pictures of nature, from macro to landscapes to animals.

Also, I'm interested in using the RAW format as I'm quite used to post image processing and that would benefit my pictures I guess.

From what I've seen, the "bridge camera"/super zoom compact camera class would make the best fit for my update needs.
I found some candidates for my 300-400€ price range, but I would really appreciate the help of GAF as I'm kinda feeling like the I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing-dog.

- Panasonic DMC-FZ72EG-K (or the 200 model?)
- Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
- Fujifilm X-S1

I can't really find good comparisons between them. The X-S1 seems to have the better image quality (and bigger sensor), but it's the oldest one so I don't know if it's "up to date" (also, it's huge!). The SX50 seems to be really good, but I'm not sure if I can even use that 50x zoom w/o a tripod. For the DMC ones (the newer one also has a huge 60x zoom but the 200 has better image quality?) I'm not sure where to place them. the 72 one seems to have all kinds of cool modes (long exposure starlight one interests me) and things that I might miss out on otherwise.

Of course, if you know of better models/options, I'm all ears. Thanks :)

Hey photography gaf!

- Fujifilm X-S1

I can't really find good comparisons between them. The X-S1 seems to have the better image quality (and bigger sensor), but it's the oldest one so I don't know if it's "up to date" (also, it's huge!). The SX50 seems to be really good, but I'm not sure if I can even use that 50x zoom w/o a tripod. For the DMC ones (the newer one also has a huge 60x zoom but the 200 has better image quality?) I'm not sure where to place them. the 72 one seems to have all kinds of cool modes (long exposure starlight one interests me) and things that I might miss out on otherwise.

(Disclaimer: I don't know much about them superzooms. ;-))

From what I've read on the web and in photo mags, I think you already have chosen a group of the best superzoom cameras. (Maybe the Sony HX-300 could be added but what do I know.)
After that it is a question of the features you prefer personally and the actual handling of the device that you can test best in a shop.
Looking at the feature list I'd prefer the Pana200 because of the comparably fast lens, which gives you some reserves indoors, but I really recommend to try them all before you buy to give you 'the feeling' of a camera. I have come to the point that I have to like to use a camera in my hands and pixel peeping is no longer important for me, because there simply aren't any bad cameras on a certain quality level out there.
Here's a short feature table for an overview.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3466998

(Disclaimer: I don't know much about them superzooms. ;-))

From what I've read on the web and in photo mags, I think you already have chosen a group of the best superzoom cameras. (Maybe the Sony HX-300 could be added but what do I know.)
After that it is a question of the features you prefer personally and the actual handling of the device that you can test best in a shop.
Looking at the feature list I'd prefer the Pana200 because of the comparably fast lens, which gives you some reserves indoors, but I really recommend to try them all before you buy to give you 'the feeling' of a camera. I have come to the point that I have to like to use a camera in my hands and pixel peeping is no longer important for me, because there simply aren't any bad cameras on a certain quality level out there.
Here's a short feature table for an overview.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3466998

Thanks for the link! That gave me a bit of insight.
They also have nice comparisons for the image quality of the cameras at different ISOs.

Yeah, I know they are in principle all very good cameras (especially for me who is used to only crappy stuff haha), but that makes the choice only harder :D. The Sony HX-300 or 200 would be also in there if they supported RAW.

I think I decided for the PowerShot. The 200 would probably be the better camera, but I just checked amazon and it's quite a bit more expensive than all the others right now...

Also, from the image comparison it seems the PowerShot makes better pictures at higher ISOs than the Pana200 (somehow better balanced? Idk) If I understood it correctly, I should be able to counter the slower lens when zoomed by going higher in the ISO w/ somewhat comparable IQ end results.

You're probably right and I should just test them all out first, if only to try the Fuji, seems like that one is fun to use with all those buttons and the manual zoom.

tino

Banned
Hey photography gaf!

I'm want to take nicer images :D
Currently, I only have an old P&S (Olympus X-15) and uhm well, my smartphone (SII)...

What I'm REALLY missing is zoom, lower light image quality and making images of moving stuff.
I wouldn't carry it around all the time obviously, but I like taking pictures of nature, from macro to landscapes to animals.

Also, I'm interested in using the RAW format as I'm quite used to post image processing and that would benefit my pictures I guess.

From what I've seen, the "bridge camera"/super zoom compact camera class would make the best fit for my update needs.
I found some candidates for my 300-400€ price range, but I would really appreciate the help of GAF as I'm kinda feeling like the I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing-dog.

- Fujifilm X-S1

Of course, if you know of better models/options, I'm all ears. Thanks :)

Regarding SX50 vs X-s1. My opinion is that the XS1's IQ is not that much better than SX50, even though the sensor is alot bigger. This apply for the Sony RX10 too. You might as well get the SX50 and save some money.

I played with the SX50, its EVF is not enjoyable to use. But I think you can't ask for too much at that price. The Panasonic is basically the same but with less zoom.

The reason there is no serious competition in the superzoom niche is that this category itself is kind of a silly product. I advise you don't spend too much money on it.

Donos

Look for the "old" 30mm Sigma model. The new model has no real advantages (at least that is what i gather from the camera forums i frequently visit). You can get it for 100 € new / 70-85€ used and it has the same quality as the "new" 30mm.

I have the old one and it's really good (got it for 80 €). I want the SEL 35F1.8 so bad but dat price. Even used it costs around 350 €. NEXes are pretty good for old lenses (manual focus). Got me a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 and a cheap china adapter.

Icomp

Looking for a camera for beginners. Been looking at the SX50 HS and I'm around that budget.

Any other camera that sacrifices the zoom for increased image-quality or anything?

Edit:
How's the difference between SX50 and the Canon 600D?

Seriously considering buying the Fuji X100S. It sounds like everything I want. I've owned DSLRs but they felt too bulky for me to just carry around all the time, even with a bag. I'm also enticed by the challenge of using a single focal length, although I know it can be accessorized.

I'll likely make my purchase next month (they have the all black model coming out, which is tempting), but I am not familiar with Fuji's upgrade cycle. Is there any reason why I should just wait for a newer/improved model, or is now a good time to purchase it? I know it has a lot of improvements/fixes from the X100.

Regarding SX50 vs X-s1. My opinion is that the XS1's IQ is not that much better than SX50, even though the sensor is alot bigger. This apply for the Sony RX10 too. You might as well get the SX50 and save some money.

I played with the SX50, its EVF is not enjoyable to use. But I think you can't ask for too much at that price. The Panasonic is basically the same but with less zoom.

Yeah I checked some test shots and indeed the X-S1 doesn't really have a better IQ, which is kinda weird to me but I'm not really deep into the optics.

The reason there is no serious competition in the superzoom niche is that this category itself is kind of a silly product. I advise you don't spend too much money on it.

As an non-enthusiast, I don't think the category is silly a product but fits my niche perfectly ;) I agree with not spending too much money on it though, one point of that class it that it's still supposed to be relatively cheap. The original price of the X-S1 (~600€?) would have disqualified it for me instantly.

Got to try out the SX50, the X-S1 and the Lumix DMC-FZ72 (the 200 wasn't available) in a store.
My concerns regarding the usability of the 50x zoom of the SX50 were gone once I managed to read the text on some game boxes on the other side of the big store :D Was relatively easy to hold it steady + that zoom-out button-thing. Though of course that was in a well lit store, so no long exposure times needed. Menu stuff was intuitive but I already used some Canon cameras before.
The X-S1 was bigger than I imagined and wow it was just too heavy for me. Did not feel like I would want to use it all day long. The manual zoom was indeed fun to use, but I would need to train a lot to get e.g. steady zooms during video, also didn't like that it paused the feed until it's focused.
The FZ72 I did not know where to place, was the cheapest but I know the IQ is not as good. Handling was a bit weird for me as well and it felt a bit cheaply made (I don't know if that's the case, just to me compared to the others).

In the end, the SX50 was the same price as online (369€ + of course I had to buy some no-name accessories, like, even a USB cable isn't included :p . But I anyway wanted to have another battery pack etc. so it was 410€ in total, I don't think I went overboard at that price as a "beginner"), so instantly bought it. Case closed.

Currently I'm testing all those modes and features, on Sunday it will get a real test run when we go to the zoo. But I love it already, thanks guys for the input!

I just feel a bit unlucky that they still haven't announced a successor for the SX50 until now, as I would have either waited even more or got a cheaper price for the current model ;) (though I hope it's not just more zoom and worse/same IQ. The 50x feels already way more than what I will need most of the time :D )

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Superzooms are mainly "silly products" to a lot of photographers in that they allow you to take photos of things you wouldn't otherwise manage without expensive gear, but the photos themselves won't be very good. We're talking about tiny P&S sensors in there paired with glass that's designed just for having as broad a focal length range as possible. I'm of the philosophy, generally, that aside from documenting your own experiences for your Facebook or whatever, your photos should be impressive or there's not much point to taking them in the first place.

For someone wanting to get into wildlife photography casually, though, it's probably a fun camera to use, and the cost of entry is remarkably low.

tino

Banned
Some bird shooters actually use the SX50.

I have always wondered if this 50x camera can take better creep shots on the beach than a Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS lens on APSC body.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Some bird shooters actually use the SX50.

I have always wondered if this 50x camera can take better creep shots on the beach than a Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS lens on APSC body.

We'll have to ask paparazzi-gaf ;b

de1irium

Probably ... years ago I had a 12x "superzoom" and the effective 35mm focal length was over 400mm. I can't imagine what these 50x zooms are like.

200mm on aps-c is only getting you ~300mm effective.

Superzooms are mainly "silly products" to a lot of photographers in that they allow you to take photos of things you wouldn't otherwise manage without expensive gear, but the photos themselves won't be very good. We're talking about tiny P&S sensors in there paired with glass that's designed just for having as broad a focal length range as possible. I'm of the philosophy, generally, that aside from documenting your own experiences for your Facebook or whatever, your photos should be impressive or there's not much point to taking them in the first place.

For someone wanting to get into wildlife photography casually, though, it's probably a fun camera to use, and the cost of entry is remarkably low.

I get that reasoning, just it's also a question of not having unlimited budget obviously (plus the practical aspect). I'm not really artistic with my shots anyway. Or let's say I prefer to get the best out of what I have /console gamer

Oh shit, didn't even think of that :p (though I don't want water nor sand near my new camera D: )

RuGalz

I use 100mm on my Q semi-frequently (560mm equiv) it's fairly useful range and not much bigger than my hand in size.

300mm + 1.4xTC (2352mm equiv) otoh... Hard to pin point a target without putting a scope on the camera.

tino

Banned
Got the Canon EF 40mm today.

The full frame 40mm/2.8 is basically same size as the APSC Sigma 19mm/2.8 and shorter than the NEX 50mm/1.8

It's $150 and even has a min focus distance of 30cm. Why can't Sony make FF lens like that? I would be happy if they sell it for 400.

Bildschirmfoto2014-01-13um162048_zps78bb6c1a.png

New Hasselblad Lunar. I still can't believe these things are real.

Flo_Evans

Is that dirt on the lens hood or is it supposed to look like marble? lol how tacky.

Why would you let a blind person design a camera jesus that thing is ugly.

diaspora

Some people must be buying them for them to keep doing it... That's even more unbelievable to me.

That's what I'm not getting. Surely if someone is knowledgeable enough of photography gear to hear about the Lunar, they'd also know that it's a Nex7 that costs 6 times the price...

de1irium

That's what I'm not getting. Surely if someone is knowledgeable enough of photography gear to hear about the Lunar, they'd also know that it's a Nex7 that costs 6 times the price...

Except they're hearing about the Lunar because they're doctors and lawyers and wall street moguls, and perhaps know (or heard) that Hasselblad is Expensive and Really Good™. So the Lunar must be.

These are the same guys who buy a Leica as little more than a fashion accessory.

Groof

Is it worth getting the EVF for the NEX series at this point or should one just wait for the NEX 6 successor to upgrade/switch to NEX6 for cheaps?

hitsugi

Is it worth getting the EVF for the NEX series at this point or should one just wait for the NEX 6 successor to upgrade/switch to NEX6 for cheaps?

If you want to stick with the nex line, I'd say do that. The add on EVFs don't even look nice on top of the huge premium they cost.

Radec

Wait for the NEX6/7 successor.

EVFs are overpriced, and you'll get more on the model with EVF attached than an NEX5+EVF combo.

tino

Banned

I doubt Sony will make any more APSC mirror body with EVF

I predict Sony will make:
A5 (FF in a Nex 5 body);
A7000, the next generation of Nex5.

to fill the gaps.

Groof

Guess there's a unanimous consensus on this. The thing that concerns me the most about that is my 5r's resale value once the new ones hit as well as the pricing of the successors.

hitsugi

Well, I've already lost $100 on my nex 3n.. That and the premium pricing on Sony lenses has me leaning toward a Fuji X-E1... Although as a replacement it's double the cost (if not more) of the 3n x.x

If you plan on doing any sales, now would probably be the time.

tino

Banned
Guess there's a unanimous consensus on this. The thing that concerns me the most about that is my 5r's resale value once the new ones hit as well as the pricing of the successors.

You have already lost Money on your 5r body. Just spend the money on glass if you are worry about depreciation rate.

I doubt next APSC Sony body has much better IQ over the 5R.

Groof

If you plan on doing any sales, now would probably be the time.
Yeah I get this, but I'd rather not be without a camera for too long. Ever since I got it it's been such an integral part of pretty much anything I do. Can't see myself without one for more than a month or two.

You have already lost Money on your 5r body. Just spend the money on glass if you are worry about depreciation rate.

I doubt next APSC Sony body has much better IQ over the 5R.
Of course I've lost money, that I get. But I'll be losing even more down the line. I haven't yet invested in anything in the NEX/E-mount ecosystem so at this point I could even switch to something else if I were to buy something new. But I've had such a good experience with the 5R that if I were to get anything else, I'd be looking at Sony's offerings first.
Honestly at this point all I want is a friggin VF.

Forsete

Yeah I get this, but I'd rather not be without a camera for too long. Ever since I got it it's been such an integral part of pretty much anything I do. Can't see myself without one for more than a month or two.

Of course I've lost money, that I get. But I'll be losing even more down the line. I haven't yet invested in anything in the NEX/E-mount ecosystem so at this point I could even switch to something else if I were to buy something new. But I've had such a good experience with the 5R that if I were to get anything else, I'd be looking at Sony's offerings first.

Köp min NEX7 så jag får en anledning att skaffa A7. ;P

Hmm, ~1900 SEK for the FDA-EV1S via Ebay (Japan, free shipping).. saves about 800-1000. If you cant find it used someplace.
I would probably wait and see.

Groof

Köp min NEX7 så jag får en anledning att skaffa A7. ;P

Hmm, ~1900 SEK for the FDA-EV1S via Ebay (Japan, free shipping).. saves about 800-1000. If you cant find it used someplace.
I would probably wait and see.

Visst! Om jag får den för under 2000 ;)

I've definitely been looking at Ebay, cheapest option. That's why I kinda wanted to get it, since if I buy from Ebay it's almost half the price.

tino

Banned

Depends on how much you want to spend on lens and how fast you plan to spend it. If you just want a EVF body, I recommend used n7 over the used n6.

Groof

Depends on how much you want to spend on lens and how fast you plan to spend it. If you just want a EVF body, I recommend used n7 over the used n6.
What makes you say that?
Won't be able to spend anything too soon (depends on how much I get paid this month), but from what I've gathered the 6 would suit my needs better. Either way I'll be waiting for the refresh first, and hopefully it'll be announced sooner rather than later.

tino

Banned
What makes you say that?
Won't be able to spend anything too soon (depends on how much I get paid this month), but from what I've gathered the 6 would suit my needs better. Either way I'll be waiting for the refresh first, and hopefully it'll be announced sooner rather than later.

N7 has better fit and finish, and N7 users are generally more knowledgable and take care of equipments better.

I really doubt there will be a refresh. N6 upgrade should have come last year anyway. Think of this way, Sony can make N7 mark II and sell more APSC lens, or they can make a EVF-less A7 and sell more FF lens, which one make them more money?

Groof

N7 has better fit and finish, and N7 users are generally more knowledgable and take care of equipments better.

I really doubt there will be a refresh. N6 upgrade should have come last year anyway. Think of this way, Sony can make N7 mark II and sell more APSC lens, or they can make a EVF-less A7 and sell more FF lens, which one make them more money?

You've a point.

If it's going to be without an EVF then I'd rather just stick with my 5r for another year until they release an A5000R or whatever which has one. When's that photo event next month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom