• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi CameraGAF,

I can't decide what camera to get. Right now I'm using a Panasonic G3 but I'm not very happy with the size of the camera. I need something significantly smaller, which ideally fits in my trousers pocket. I lowered it down to two models: Sony rx100 vs Panasonic LX7. I would love to get some advices from you.

A lot of people seem to find the handling of rx100 not really intuitive and it seems you have to do a lot of menu digging. Besides, I really love the small form factor of the rx100.

The LX7 on the other hand handles fluidly whith a button for every important parameter and I do have a Panasonic background. Also the 24mm seems to be a nice bonus as well as the 1.4 - 2.3 aperture. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure if the LX7 is still a bit too big.

What's the CameraGAF consenus about LX7 vs rx100? I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks

RX100 (II) is better (my opinion).

Or depending on your m43 lens collection, you could get the Panasonic GM1. The body is as small as a Sony RX100, but you do need to add a lens to it, preferably pancake primes and zooms. It could fit in your pockets depending on how big your trouser pockets are.

tino

Banned
I don't see any reason to get the LX7. Sensor size is even smaller than LX5. If you want a camera with EVF, get the LF1.

RX100 (II) is better (my opinion).

Or depending on your m43 lens collection, you could get the Panasonic GM1. The body is as small as a Sony RX100, but you do need to add a lens to it, preferably pancake primes and zooms. It could fit in your pockets depending on how big your trouser pockets are.

The decision against the m43 format is already set.

I don't see any reason to get the LX7. Sensor size is even smaller than LX5. If you want a camera with EVF, get the LF1.

Hmm, it's just that my gut is telling me to go for the LX7 but literally every technical spec comparison wins the rx100.

Thanks so far for the answers.

Donos

Guess there's a unanimous consensus on this. The thing that concerns me the most about that is my 5r's resale value once the new ones hit as well as the pricing of the successors.

Prices of the 5R are already going down because of the 5T. Sony store in Berlin had a clearance sale in november of around 50 new NEX-5RL kits (with 1650 PZ) for 399 €. Cheapest 5RL around this time on the internet was for around 550 €. Bought 2 and sold one immediately for a bit profit.
The new A5000 is going to push the price even more for the 5er models.
I still have to sell my 5R body but i can't find the sony store bill for the warranty. It's only 2 month old.
Happy with my NEX-6 now.

Deku Tree

I just got a Canon EOS 1ds Mark III as a gift along with two L lenses.
Before now, I mostly used to take pictures with my iPhone 5s though...
What should I do now?

What should I do now?

Someone really loves you. Show your gratitude. Learn the craft.

If it's the wife/GF, sex her up. Or leave her alone if she's a cold fish. Either way, she'll appreciate it.

tino

Banned
What should I do now?

I don't know, buy more L lenses? 24-70m 2.8 L 70-200 f2.8 L 14L etc etc Don't forget a couple high end flashes too.

Groof

Prices of the 5R are already going down because of the 5T. Sony store in Berlin had a clearance sale in november of around 50 new NEX-5RL kits (with 1650 PZ) for 399 €. Cheapest 5RL around this time on the internet was for around 550 €. Bought 2 and sold one immediately for a bit profit.
The new A5000 is going to push the price even more for the 5er models.
I still have to sell my 5R body but i can't find the sony store bill for the warranty. It's only 2 month old.
Happy with my NEX-6 now.

Yeah I know, once the NEX6/7 successor hits one would be lucky to even get €200 for the 5R. Like I said, I would sell it, but I don't want to be without a camera for too long. A phone camera doesn't really suffice anymore.

Deku Tree

Someone really loves you. Show your gratitude. Learn the craft.

If it's the wife/GF, sex her up. Or leave her alone if she's a cold fish. Either way, she'll appreciate it.

Thanks. It was my Dad. Said he doesn't really use it anymore. Any good books to read on the craft and my Mark III?

I don't know, buy more L lenses? 24-70m 2.8 L 70-200 f2.8 L 14L etc etc Don't forget a couple high end flashes too.

Yeah I have a EF 85mm 1:1.2 L II USM and a EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM. Is there anything I can't do with these two lenses.

Is it OK to buy used lenses and flashes for less?

well, thats a big fucker. Time to go to a safari.

Ok, maybe I'll do that again someday... :)

Thraktor

Yeah I have a EF 85mm 1:1.2 L II USM and a EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM. Is there anything I can't do with these two lenses.

The 85mm f/1.2 is one of the best portrait lenses around, and the 24-105mm is a great general purpose zoom, so you're fairly well set for the moment. Just go out there and take lots of photos, and get a feel for how you like to shoot (e.g. you may prefer wide-angle landscapes, or portraits, or nature photography, etc.). Then if you do decide to get any extra kit in the future, you should have a better idea of what you'll actually use.

Fuji as the X-T1 up its sleeve, an OM-D/A7/DF kind of retro camera and heavily rumored to go around 1800 bucks (with kit lens at best). No hybrid EVF/OVF, apparently.

FVLbN1R.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...medium=text-comment&ref=comments_0_1#comments

Shutter speed dial with X-Pro1-like locking button
Exposure compensation dial covering +/-3 EV
ISO dial (also lockable), including 'A' position for quick access to Auto
Control levers below shutter speed and ISO dials (function unknown, but drive mode would make sense)
Movie record button
'Fn' button which activates built-in Wi-Fi
Power switch surrounding shutter button
Large viewfinder hump, perhaps implying extra-large EVF
PC sync socket on front
Electronic front dial below shutter button

tino

Banned
^^^ Fujirumor has alot of photos. If the 1800 price is with the kit lens I guess the body will be sold at 1400 separately.

I hope it has a better flash system.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Thanks. It was my Dad. Said he doesn't really use it anymore. Any good books to read on the craft and my Mark III?

In the circumstances I'd suggest your best starting point is to learn as much as you can from your Dad - he'd probably appreciate that too.

As to books/websites etc, there's a few mentioned in this thread. It's more important to get out taking pictures than to overdose on books though.

Is it OK to buy used lenses and flashes for less?

That's plenty to be going on with. You'll find out soon enough if you feel you need anything different, but it'll depend a lot on what you like to shoot - so get some work done first.

Used lenses from a reputable source are fine, and the good ones hold their value pretty well.

Flashes less so.

tino

Banned
That X-T1 looks great, but too expensive for a crop sensor mirrorless.

Fuji have the best lineup of primes though.

If you really want it get the lens first and get the body 1 year later. Both XPro1 and XE1 drop price very fast.

I personally don't care about bodies with a fake prism (like the Olympus EM5), but this body has hardware meter switch and shooting mode switch (Blanket/continuous high/low/single shot/multiple exposure?/etc); AND separate buttons for meter lock and AF lock. That's amazing. I will never need to go into the menu screen. Also giant ass EVF and weatherproof. That's alot of features. I am fine if Fuji price it 400-500 over the XE2. If you want something like that in FF, you have to pay twice as much anyway.

RuGalz

Fuji is doing a lot of great things. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by it as they add more weather sealing setup. But I don't think I need to invest in camera equipment any more until the next sensor break through happens. Small size body with FF sensor like A7 really doesn't matter that much to me when FF glasses are still going to be so damn big.

Zyzyxxz

Possible $1300 price ofr XT-1?!

Now I feel like I should get rid of my GX7 and 20mm prime and get out of M43 while I'm barely into it.

Donos

Are there any other FF mirrorless bodies announced from other manufactors yet? Maybe CP+. Photokina would be pretty late (september).

tino

Banned
Are there any other FF mirrorless bodies announced from other manufactors yet? Maybe CP+. Photokina would be pretty late (september).

No. Since Fuji has put 2 pro 2.8 zoom APSC lens on the roadmap, they are not going to FF for the next 2 years.

tino

Banned
Fuji body + len bundle usually give you a few hundred dollar discount off the bat.

If the bundle price is 1800 and this body is placed between XE2 and XPro1 release price then I would guess 1400, or 1500.

You can always buy the bundle and sell the kit lens for 400.

Its very hard to pick a "normal lens" for a Fuji shooter. You can get the 23mm 1.4, or the X100s, or the 27mm pancake, or go cheap and get a X100 for less than $600. Every option can make a very good argument for itself.

Radec

Looks like Hassleblad's and Sony's partnership doesn't end with the NEX-RX clones.

Hasselblad-Solar-camera.jpg

Based from Sony A99.

Still gonna be expensive as shit. lol

Sony's NEX6/7 replacement announcement will be in Feb.

Wait at least till the 28th when the X-T1 is officially announced.
If the rumors are true the body will cost exactly as much as the X100s.

Nice. The small body is pretty appealing to me, as I was really attracted to the form factor (and of course, quality) of the X100S. I'd like a cam I can easily carry around in my bag/backpack anywhere I go.

I also thought that the fixed lens of the X100S could be constricting, but in a good way, to force some creativity and just work with the possibilities of a single focal length. I've never used a Fuji X camera, they have their own "X" mount? I have a few lenses but they're EF and MFT, so I guess I'd have to get an adapter if I wanted to use those.

Looking forward to the announcement.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Can someone suggest a decent Manfrotto tripod head? I only have one of these

ugh. those plates are awful. I had my camera fall off my tripod because of those plates.

I would recommend any head that uses arca swiss plates. because they are better, and because all the best gear uses arca swiss plates so they are interchangeable.

If you can spend a little more (and i always recommend spending more on tripod gear as it will last forever and you pay more for cheaper gear in the long run) i would recommend any acratech head.

ugh. those plates are awful. I had my camera fall off my tripod because of those plates.

I would recommend any head that uses arca swiss plates. because they are better, and because all the best gear uses arca swiss plates so they are interchangeable.

If you can spend a little more (and i always recommend spending more on tripod gear as it will last forever and you pay more for cheaper gear in the long run) i would recommend any acratech head.

I'm looking at the Manfrotto 502 MVH502AH

Anyone have any experience?

Kaladin

Photography Gaf...I need your help. I've started a music reviews blog and I'm doing live reviews as a part of it. I did a my first live review with my current equipment which is just a Panasonic DMC-ZS9 14.1MP Digital Camera. This was kind of a test run to see if I need to upgrade.

Some sample images, the best of the group is first:

I'm looking for something more mid-range professional level that can get good low light performance in a place like that, or at an outside venue. I'm not really looking at spending more than $500 - $750.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Photography Gaf...I need your help. I've started a music reviews blog and I'm doing live reviews as a part of it. I did a my first live review with my current equipment which is just a Panasonic DMC-ZS9 14.1MP Digital Camera. This was kind of a test run to see if I need to upgrade.

Some sample images, the best of the group is first:

I'm looking for something more mid-range professional level that can get good low light performance in a place like that, or at an outside venue. I'm not really looking at spending more than $500 - $750.

The Nex line has really good low light performance. You get a nex 5n/5r for around that price range. I think you can get a 6 as well on ebay at that price.

The Fujis are great at high Iso's too.

Groof

The Nex line has really good low light performance. You get a nex 5n/5r for around that price range. I think you can get a 6 as well on ebay at that price.

The Fujis are great at high Iso's too.

The NEX 6/7 successor is probably due to be announced next month so current NEX 6 prices will probably drop by then. So maybe a brand new one at that price will be possible.

joshschw

For a small compact camera I think Fuji and Nikon 1 series is the only good options. They are head and shoulders above the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom