• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

anyway, question...i'm currently shooting with a panasonic gf1 (mostly with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake and sometimes with the 25mm f/1.4) but wanted to update. currently debating on switching over to a fujifilm x100s...or a panasonic gm1. can anybody weigh in on this? (i also use a canon 7d but that's not really gonna change much)

Depends on why you feel you need to switch system.

hitsugi

Looking at the Nikon 1 J1, I can get the camera with 10-30mm Lens for $270. I can also get one with an additional 30mm - 110mm lens for $420.00. Would you guys recommend the additional lens?

Also, would you recommend the J1 or the later versions?

If you're still interested in going for the J1, BuyDig via eBay has the Nikon J1 with 10-30mm + 30-110mm VR Lenses and Nikon Case (Refurbished) on sale for $199.99 here.. don't think it's going to get better for that set.

However, if you're leaning toward Sony, I'm sure those prices are going to come down (yet again) fairly soon as well

Animator

I don't see any XT1 grip for sale on Adorama and B&H. How come you guys have the grips. How much is the mini grip btw?

Fuji Canada is giving everyone who preorders a X-T1 a free battery grip ($280 value). If you are in canada order from a local shop instead of B&H/Amazon.

Sell the m4/3 and get the x100s. Having multiple interchangeable systems is redundant. On paid shoots, I use the x100, 7d, and 5d mkiii. Unless you have the money and just keep it all while picking up the x100s.

I switched from Sony NEX system with a couple of lenses to X100S and I have been more than happy. X100S is a joy to shoot with and it's liberating to only have one(great) lens option. No more lugging around bunch of lenses and no lens choice paralysis.

I was in the same boat as you and I had a GF2 and upgraded to a GX7 (same sensor but bigger body) and while I do like the camera I feel like the M4/3rds sensor is limiting in higher ISO shooting.

So I am actually planning to sell all my lenses and stuff to fund either an XT-1 for later or buy a used X100 for now until I have more money for the XT-1

seems like a lot of ppl are pro x100s...the ppl i know irl who have it are also in love with it, some also think they'll be using it like 10 years down the line. i think i'm gonna go with the x100s and sell my m4/3 stuff. thanks everybody!

Depends on why you feel you need to switch system.
i don't really feel like i need to switch systems, but i do want something around the size of my gf1 to replace it, ideally w/ good low light performance (which the x100s seems to do extremely well). the gm1 seems a little weaker in that performance but still usable, it's just that i was reluctant to abandon a system that i have bought into. i guess i am not far enough bought in that i can't abandon it though, i only own a couple lenses.

tino

Banned
Fuji Canada is giving everyone who preorders a X-T1 a free battery grip ($280 value). If you are in canada order from a local shop instead of B&H/Amazon.

You guys also have promotion for individual XF lens. We got jack shit here in the States. The only promotions are x-deals, which only benefit first time system buyers.

How much is the XT1 mini grip.

Animator

You guys also have promotion for individual XF lens. We got jack shit here in the States. The only promotions are x-deals, which only benefit first time system buyers.

How much is the XT1 mini grip.

I have no idea but the battery grip is $270 so I am expecting the mini grip to be $150 or so.

Groof

If you guys had the choice between the Sony 50/1.8 oss or both Sigma 19/2.8 & 30/2.8 e mount lenses for the same price, which would you go for?

edit: i know the focal lengths are very different for the three, but they'll probably be used a lot outdoors and for portraits.

tino

Banned
If you guys had the choice between the Sony 50/1.8 oss or both Sigma 19/2.8 & 30/2.8 e mount lenses for the same price, which would you go for?

edit: i know the focal lengths are very different for the three, but they'll probably be used a lot outdoors and for portraits.

75mm equivalent focal length is awkward. Its too narrow for general purpose and too wide for portrait.

Sony should discontinue this lens and make a FF version of 50mm/1.8 or 2.0

Donos

Both Sigmas. You can still make potraits with the 30mm and have the 19mm for landscapes outdoors.

Groof

Yeah I think it's a way better deal. They're the initial models of the Sigmas, but they don't differ much from the new ones right?

Animator

Does anyone have the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 here? I tried it on my xe1 for two minutes at the camera shop and I think I am in love with it.

i owned all of those when i was a NEX user. the 50 is the best of the three, especially for portraits, but i agree with tino that it's not the most versatile focal length on APS-C. it's not perfect for anything, it's just an acceptable portrait lens without being long enough to totally limit you to that kind of photo.

but assuming you already have a kit lens, the 50'll probably be the most value for money and fun in terms of doing things that your current gear really can't. the sigma primes are both nice as fairly compact walk-around lenses, but they're not super fast and i wouldn't use either for portraits. the 50 will at least give you the kind of performance and background separation that you can't get without a fast medium tele prime.

i don't really feel like i need to switch systems, but i do want something around the size of my gf1 to replace it, ideally w/ good low light performance (which the x100s seems to do extremely well). the gm1 seems a little weaker in that performance but still usable, it's just that i was reluctant to abandon a system that i have bought into. i guess i am not far enough bought in that i can't abandon it though, i only own a couple lenses.

It really depends I what you're looking for in a camera.

The gm1 is actually pocketable and smaller in real life than it looks in pictures.

The video is significantly better on the gm1 if you plan in doing any of that. According to eoshd, it outperforms a lot of other cameras including the Sony A7.

Up to ISO 1600, you won't see any real differences in noise, either.

If you want a single focal length with a great viewfinder, get the x100.

Groof

i owned all of those when i was a NEX user. the 50 is the best of the three, especially for portraits, but i agree with tino that it's not the most versatile focal length on APS-C. it's not perfect for anything, it's just an acceptable portrait lens without being long enough to totally limit you to that kind of photo.

but assuming you already have a kit lens, the 50'll probably be the most value for money and fun in terms of doing things that your current gear really can't. the sigma primes are both nice as fairly compact walk-around lenses, but they're not super fast and i wouldn't use either for portraits. the 50 will at least give you the kind of performance and background separation that you can't get without a fast medium tele prime.

Damn, thanks for the indepth reply. So what would you recommend for someone who's getting their first new lens? The 1855 kit is alright but it's showing its shortcomings.

holy shit i couldn't find this thread and it was on the FIRST PAGE. man i am teh dumb.

anyway, question...i'm currently shooting with a panasonic gf1 (mostly with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake and sometimes with the 25mm f/1.4) but wanted to update. currently debating on switching over to a fujifilm x100s...or a panasonic gm1. can anybody weigh in on this? (i also use a canon 7d but that's not really gonna change much)

seems like my options are:

1) switch to x100s and sell all my m4/3 stuff
2) switch to x100s and keep all my m4/3 stuff for maybe another body down the line
3) stick with only m4/3

sticking w/ m4/3 only and going w/ the gm1 seems the cheapest unless i can sell my lenses for more, though selling is also a hassle? i doubt i can get much for the gf1 body since it's been thru about 50k shots.
I might be kinda LTTP with this, but here goes...

I got my first m43 camera over one and half years ago with an Oly OM-D E-M5, along with a Panny 25mm f1.4. Love everything about it, especially knowing how powerful this setup can be in such a small body. I also have a Panny 14mm f2.5 and a cheap Pentax 25mm f1.4 CCTV lens to mess around with (really fun to use!).

That said, I picked up a Fuji X100s last September when my local Samys had it in stock. I was strongly considering getting an Oly 17mm f1.7 to get my 35mm fix but I've also been wanting to try out a rangefinder format even more.

Even though I have a X100s I have no intention of getting rid of my m43 gear any time soon. Simply put, I still like my Oly a lot. The new 2.0 firmware that was made available for the E-M5 a few days ago makes it even better (small AF target, yay!).

If there's a camera I gotta sell, though, is my Nikon D7000 =P

hitsugi

Didn't you end up with a NEX7? Why the switch to Fuji?

Damn, thanks for the indepth reply. So what would you recommend for someone who's getting their first new lens? The 1855 kit is alright but it's showing its shortcomings.

maybe save a bit for the 35 1.8? that'll offer you more options in terms of depth-of-field control and low-light ability, in a more versatile focal length than the 50. 35 1.4 is my most-used fuji lens by miles, and i used to use sony's a-mount 35 1.8 a ton too.

Didn't you end up with a NEX7? Why the switch to Fuji?

i got an X100 as a compact option a while ago and just preferred the control scheme, style, and general photography-first philosophy, especially as someone who shoots a bunch of film. add in fuji's focus on fast prime lenses for the X series and it was a pretty easy decision to sell my NEX-7 and get an X-E1 about a year ago. the image quality really is a step beyond the NEX and it's a ton more fun to use as well.

i'll be picking up an X-T1 day one. that viewfinder is a sight to behold in person.

the only sony camera i still shoot today is the RX100, which is totally unmatchable. super liberating to just throw that into a bag and be capable of great pictures with no burden at all.

Groof

maybe save a bit for the 35 1.8? that'll offer you more options in terms of depth-of-field control and low-light ability, in a more versatile focal length than the 50. 35 1.4 is my most-used fuji lens by miles, and i used to use sony's a-mount 35 1.8 a ton too.
I would love to do that, but I'm currently looking at second hand offerings and no one seems interested in parting with the 35. I might just go for the sigma 19&30 combo, as that seems to be the best bang for buck I can get currently.

tino

Banned
Fuji lens selection has higher ceiling for advance amateurs. BTW all Canadian camera stores have Fuji sales until March 2. Almost every lens is 20-30% lower than the US price. I think I am going to order one. If I am lucky I probably won't be charged with any duty and tax.

Kaladin

Another question....I think I've ditched the idea of the compact A5000 for either the DSLR Sony SLT-A58K or the Sony Alpha SLT-A65VL.

I'm leaning toward the cheaper A58, but the A65 is tempting.

Anyone have any opinions on these cameras?

sneaky77

i got an X100 as a compact option a while ago and just preferred the control scheme, style, and general photography-first philosophy, especially as someone who shoots a bunch of film. add in fuji's focus on fast prime lenses for the X series and it was a pretty easy decision to sell my NEX-7 and get an X-E1 about a year ago. the image quality really is a step beyond the NEX and it's a ton more fun to use as well.

i'll be picking up an X-T1 day one. that viewfinder is a sight to behold in person.

the only sony camera i still shoot today is the RX100, which is totally unmatchable. super liberating to just throw that into a bag and be capable of great pictures with no burden at all.

What lenses would you recommend for the Fuji system, because the Xe-2 looks appealing, seems close to the X-t1 minus the new evf and iso dial

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What lenses would you recommend for the Fuji system, because the Xe-2 looks appealing, seems close to the X-t1 minus the new evf and iso dial

Almost all of the Fuji XF lenses are great. The ones to avoid are the cheap+slow entry level zooms (16-50mm and 50-230mm) and the 18mm f2 prime as it's not very sharp.

Start with either the ridiculously gorgeous 35mm f1.4 prime lens or, if you prefer a zoom, the 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit zoom is a good all-around performer that'll give you a lot of bang for your buck. I have both, but I end up leaving the 35mm on there because the results are just too pretty. Depends if you have a zoom or prime oriented mindset. Other primes to look at are the 23mm f1.4 (a tier above the x100's already amazing lens in sharpness and speed), and the upcoming 56mm f1.2 for serious portraiture.

Another question....I think I've ditched the idea of the compact A5000 for either the DSLR Sony SLT-A58K or the Sony Alpha SLT-A65VL.

I'm leaning toward the cheaper A58, but the A65 is tempting.

Anyone have any opinions on these cameras?

A65 is more fun to shoot with imo. The EVF is superior and the body is more solid. The downside of this is a larger form factor. A58 is more compact. Depends on the size of your hands if you prefer one or the other. I like the 65 more.

Image quality at higher ISO might be a little bit better on the A58, but on the other hand the resolution of the A65 is a tad higher, so if you shoot with good glass you can crop a little bit more. But I'm not a pixel peeper, so take this with a grain of salt. Overall they are on the same level concerning the results.

Always the same conclusion: Go to a dealer of your choice and try them. Choose the one that you like more. If you can't decide, take the cheaper one. Both are quite fine cameras.

MRORANGE

Used a Sony A7 over the weekend at a shop, I love it.

I don't even shoot that much, but I love nearly everything about it, attach a M-Mount Voigtlander lens and you'd be set for one camera for the rest of your life.

tino

Banned

Yes pretty much what Evilord said.

You first prime lens should be the 35mm/1.4 It's a no brainer. I some time shoot with both the 35 and the 18-55, the 35mm offers so much more microcontrast for the same scene. After the 35, you can pick any of the other 5-6 prime lens as your second lens, and you can make a good argument with any of them. The 18mm pancake is really not bad. I see it on sale between 300-350 on ebay from time to time. For 300 is really not a bad lens. Sony charge you that much for their E20 pancake.

As far as zoom lens goes, you might want to buy the kit zoom before you buy the 35mm/1.4, its your choice. I see many people pick the 18-55 as their first XF lens, and just as many choose the 35mm.

sneaky77

Yeah I was looking at the 35mm and the 14mm as a wide option maybe down the road, the 18-55 comes with the kit and I like to have a long zoom for occassions so I am looking at that too.

Seems like at this point it may be a best thing to save for a couple of months and wait for the T1 over the EX-2

i agree with tino, i have the 18mm and it's actually pretty great unless you're looking to shoot critical landscapes wide open for some reason. i also love the size, especially on an X-E1 — makes for a great reportage or street camera.

you probably don't need it if you're getting the 18-55, though; the 14 could be a better bet in that case. but there is something to be said for a fast compact 28mm equivalent with a proper aperture ring on a small body; it's like having a ricoh GR or coolpix A with better controls and a viewfinder. i took all but two of the shots in this tokyo motor show photo essay with the 18mm — not the best environment in the world to take pictures in but the 18mm made it more comfortable than it otherwise might have been.

otherwise i have the 35 1.4, which is phenomenal and essential, and the 60 2.4 macro, which is super sharp but an AF nightmare (presumably much improved on the X-E2). my next will probably be the 23mm.

tino

Banned
i agree with tino, i have the 18mm and it's actually pretty great unless you're looking to shoot critical landscapes wide open for some reason. i also love the size, especially on an X-E1 — makes for a great reportage or street camera.

you probably don't need it if you're getting the 18-55, though; the 14 could be a better bet in that case. but there is something to be said for a fast compact 28mm equivalent with a proper aperture ring on a small body; it's like having a ricoh GR or coolpix A with better controls and a viewfinder. i took all but two of the shots in this tokyo motor show photo essay with the 18mm — not the best environment in the world to take pictures in but the 18mm made it more comfortable than it otherwise might have been.

otherwise i have the 35 1.4, which is phenomenal and essential, and the 60 2.4 macro, which is super sharp but an AF nightmare (presumably much improved on the X-E2). my next will probably be the 23mm.

Hey your photos reminds me, what's the best/fast way to get jpeg from your Fuji camera to your blogging device of choice? I keep playing with the wifi sd card and a OTG microSD reader. None of solution is what I call smooth.

I wish there is a windows W8 tablet (not RT) that actually take full SD card. Then I can just simply swap cards without dealing with these wieless nonsense.

Hey your photos reminds me, what's the best/fast way to get jpeg from your Fuji camera to your blogging device of choice? I keep playing with the wifi sd card and a OTG microSD reader. None of solution is what I call smooth.

I wish there is a windows W8 tablet (not RT) that actually take full SD card. Then I can just simply swap cards without dealing with these wieless nonsense.

i have a retina macbook pro with an SD card slot, and i just shoot jpeg 100% of the time (one of the best things about fuji) and stick everything into lightroom. before this i had an 11-inch macbook air and i'd plug the camera straight in.

i do have an eye-fi SD card but man that thing is a piece of junk. transfer is snail-paced and the software is unusable.

sneaky77

i have a retina macbook pro with an SD card slot, and i just shoot jpeg 100% of the time (one of the best things about fuji) and stick everything into lightroom. before this i had an 11-inch macbook air and i'd plug the camera straight in.

i do have an eye-fi SD card but man that thing is a piece of junk. transfer is snail-paced and the software is unusable.

Why is 100% jpg a good thing? Just wondering what Fuji does that it makes it a great option?

Animator

Almost all of the Fuji XF lenses are great. The ones to avoid are the cheap+slow entry level zooms (16-50mm and 50-230mm) and the 18mm f2 prime as it's not very sharp.

Start with either the ridiculously gorgeous 35mm f1.4 prime lens or, if you prefer a zoom, the 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit zoom is a good all-around performer that'll give you a lot of bang for your buck. I have both, but I end up leaving the 35mm on there because the results are just too pretty. Depends if you have a zoom or prime oriented mindset. Other primes to look at are the 23mm f1.4 (a tier above the x100's already amazing lens in sharpness and speed), and the upcoming 56mm f1.2 for serious portraiture.

Same here.

Though instead of the 56mm fuji I would much rather get the samyang 85mm f1.4 ($299) it is a much better focal range for portraits.

tino

Banned

Thanks. I am going on a 2 week trip later this year. I think I will get a either 8" W8 tablet or the 10" Lenovo Tablet 2 to act as the smallest photoshop machine. I can only do post processing on photoshop.

Why is 100% jpg a good thing? Just wondering what Fuji does that it makes it a great option?

Well he is a professional bloggor, he just need to make good looking 3MP photos. Plus, Fuji color gives you eyegasm.

Well he is a professional bloggor, he just need to make good looking 3MP photos. Plus, Fuji color gives you eyegasm.

exactly this. fuji nails things like auto white balance better than any other company that isn't apple, noise is virtually a non-issue on x-trans, and the out-of-camera colour is fantastic (especially with stuff like the film simulations and tweaking control). it's a huge timesaver to be able to sidestep RAW processing completely, especially when i'm posting reports directly from an event.

i know some people really get into the PP thing but i just don't have the time or interest. i'd rather get it right in-camera when time is of the essence.

Animator

Because Fuji has the best jpeg quality out of all cameras.

You do not need to shoot RAW if you don't need to. %90 of the people don't really need to, they are just adding extra steps of work by shooting RAW. Most people seem to think shooting RAW is a get out of jail card for shitty exposure, it is not.

How old is yours? I don't know a thing about them, but a friend was asking about them for her Canon SLR. A review of the latest on DPReview suggested it was OK. Suggested she poke around on their forums.

tino

Banned
How old is yours? I don't know a thing about them, but a friend was asking about them for her Canon SLR. A review of the latest on DPReview suggested it was OK. Suggested she poke around on their forums.

Its very slow. My gen 1 eye-fi takes about 20-30 seconds to transfer a 4-5MB jpeg. If you only shoot 1MB jpeg its probably okey.

jourdy

Hi guys, I am currently looking for a compact camera for my GF. Is the Sony RX100II still a good buy, or is there another model looming around the corner?

What do you guys feel about the A7? I am currently using a Sony A7 with Zeiss 55mm 1.8f. It is the sharpest lens I have ever seen. I am contemplating on selling it for an A7R for even sharper images, but I am thinking the slower AF and louder shutter sound might be a turn off.

Thanks!

RuGalz

Depending on the camera, I find it unusable in a big magnesium body -- very poor signal.

diaspora

Just nabbed the 85mm 1.8 for $360 from amazon.com. Importing to Canada and adding on next-day shipping raises the price to $425, but it's still cheaper than buying it from Henrys for $570 (with 7 day shipping).

tino

Banned
Just nabbed the 85mm 1.8 for $360 from amazon.com. Importing to Canada and adding on next-day shipping raises the price to $425, but it's still cheaper than buying it from Henrys for $570 (with 7 day shipping).

Do you have to pay custom? Its funny you are buying the Canon lens from US and I am planning to buy a Fuji lens from Canada. This world is fucked up.

diaspora

Do you have to pay custom? Its funny you are buying the Canon lens from US and I am planning to buy a Fuji lens from Canada. This world is fucked up.

I do, the import deposit plus shipping is why it goes from $360 to $425. Still cheaper than local.

tino

Banned
I do, the import deposit plus shipping is why it goes from $360 to $425. Still cheaper than local.

Amazon automatically charge the custom for you? I pretend order the Fuji lens on Henry's camera, there is only $12 shipping to US for both the NY and PA address I put in. No tax and fees.

diaspora

Amazon automatically charge the custom for you? I pretend order the Fuji lens on Henry's camera, there is only $12 shipping to US for both the NY and PA address I put in. No tax and fees.

Yep. Customs is included in the import fees deposit. If the total charged is less than the deposit, Amazon refunds the difference.

edit, after converting to CAD$, I'll be billed $484. Cheaper than Henrys $640+ after tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom