• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

I put this in the other thread but I figured it can't hurt to add here

I would to get more proficient at lightroom, does anyone know of any good video tutorials out there? even if its a few bucks and not totally free I could live with that

kasane

My friend is selling me a nikon d70s, while im interested in cameras im not that good with it. He just wants to offload it since unexpected bills came up is this camera any good?

My friend is selling me a nikon d70s, while im interested in cameras im not that good with it. He just wants to offload it since unexpected bills came up is this camera any good?

Yes, in that you can take decent pictures with it and it would be a way to learn how to operate a camera, no in the sense that it's from 2005 so the sensor is old and not very good in low light. I hope your friend's bills are small because you shouldn't pay much for it ($75 for the body; if it has an 18-55 lens that's worth a similar amount; the better 18-70 is worth more).

Here are some pictures people have shot on one over the years.

kasane

Yes, in that you can take decent pictures with it and it would be a way to learn how to operate a camera, no in the sense that it's from 2005 so the sensor is old and not very good in low light. I hope your friend's bills are small because you shouldn't pay much for it ($75 for the body; if it has an 18-55 lens that's worth a similar amount; the better 18-70 is worth more).

Here are some pictures people have shot on one over the years.

the lens was 18-200 if im not mistaken

Edit: A sigma dc 18-200 mm lens

Zyzyxxz

Almost all of the Fuji XF lenses are great. The ones to avoid are the cheap+slow entry level zooms (16-50mm and 50-230mm) and the 18mm f2 prime as it's not very sharp.

Start with either the ridiculously gorgeous 35mm f1.4 prime lens or, if you prefer a zoom, the 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit zoom is a good all-around performer that'll give you a lot of bang for your buck. I have both, but I end up leaving the 35mm on there because the results are just too pretty. Depends if you have a zoom or prime oriented mindset. Other primes to look at are the 23mm f1.4 (a tier above the x100's already amazing lens in sharpness and speed), and the upcoming 56mm f1.2 for serious portraiture.

There's some upcoming deals for Fuji lenses: http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-all-xf-lens-and-x-body-deals-paper-now-on-fujirumors/#comments

I'm actually thinking about getting the Fuji XT-1 and maybe both the 35mm and 27mm but not sure if I will actually want the 27mm because its close in focal length to 35 but I only want it because its only going to be $200 after instant rebate.

my girlfriend has the 27mm — it's great for the size if nothing else, and the focal length is a bit more versatile than the 35. def worth $200 if you're spending that much already.

sneaky77

my girlfriend has the 27mm — it's great for the size if nothing else, and the focal length is a bit more versatile than the 35. def worth $200 if you're spending that much already.

I was reading some reviews that said the 27mm is not fast to focus or sharp, what is your experience?

Also, right now I have a messanger style bag, which I like for walking around but found a little uncomfortable when going hiking, can anyone recommend a smallish backpack to carry a mirrorless plus a couple of lenses?

tino

Banned
I was just comparing Fuji 18mm and 27mm the other day. To me 27mm is too close to 35mm. I spent some time on flickr looked through the samples of 18mm and 27mm and quickly decided I much prefer 18mm's field of view.

The way I look at it, you got to respect the f/2.0

tino

Banned
I
Also, right now I have a messanger style bag, which I like for walking around but found a little uncomfortable when going hiking, can anyone recommend a smallish backpack to carry a mirrorless plus a couple of lenses?

I took this photo for another thread. Anyway I am very happy with this low profile Timberland half-size bag (I don't what the official name is)

Animator

There's some upcoming deals for Fuji lenses: http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-all-xf-lens-and-x-body-deals-paper-now-on-fujirumors/#comments

I'm actually thinking about getting the Fuji XT-1 and maybe both the 35mm and 27mm but not sure if I will actually want the 27mm because its close in focal length to 35 but I only want it because its only going to be $200 after instant rebate.

Don't get the 27 if you are getting the 35.

Imo the best kit is Fuji 23mm/35mm f1.4 and the samyang 85mm f1.4 if you are getting the xt1.

So I've been playing around with my new nd grad filters and I've been having a lot of fun, and I'm really satisfied with the results! I love the idea that you can 'stack' them for different tones.

I'm looking for some alternative uses for them though, other than landscape photography? Any cool ideas I could try out?

Deku Tree

Ok, I got my 2008 Canon EOS 1ds Mark3 fixed by Canon for $300. Thanks Camera GAF for your help!

I have a question. For this camera does anyone know if it is possible to look at pictures you are taking through the screen on the back of the body (instead of through the viewfinder)?

I have gone through the menu system on the camera a few times and I didn't find an option to do that... I also didn't find it in the manual. (Although I admit that I may have missed it.)

Lumix

I have a question. For this camera does anyone know if it is possible to look at pictures you are taking through the screen on the back of the body (instead of through the viewfinder)?

I have gone through the menu system on the camera a few times and I didn't find an option to do that... I also didn't find it in the manual. (Although I admit that I may have missed it.)

This might help. You have to enable it in Set-up Menu #2.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_EOSLiveView_QuickGuide.pdf

Donos

Just sold my 3 month old NEX-5R body for 300 € (bought it new for 399€ with SEL-1650 PZ). Prices going to drop soon after next weeks 24MP A6000 announcement. Glad i made it in time. Still waiting for a good deal for a SEL35F1.8

Groof

Just sold my 3 month NEX-5R body for 300 € (bought it new for 399€ with SEL-1650 PZ). Prices going to drop soon after next weeks 24MP A6000 announcement. Glad i made it in time. Still waiting for a good deal for a SEL35F1.8

I might sell mine too after my trip to London. Probably won't get the same amount as you did, but anything is good enough.
Though I might just sidegrade to the NEX6 instead.

Donos

I might sell mine too after my trip to London. Probably won't get the same amount as you did, but anything is good enough.
Though I might just sidegrade to the NEX6 instead.

I didn't regret the upgrade to the NEX 6 one bit. Love this camera. Don't really need the 24 MP of the A6000 although the AF is supposed to be way faster (rumor).

Groof

I didn't regret the upgrade to the NEX 6 one bit. Love this camera. Don't really need the 24 MP of the A6000 although the AF is supposed to be way faster (rumor).

Which I why I think a sidegrade would suffice for me as well. If all that's being upgraded is the AF speeds and pixel count, I might just stick to getting a NEX6 for a third the price of the A6000. The 5R works pretty well for my needs, all I miss is a VF really.

Kapow

Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera up to the 200 dollar range? I'm tight on cash and its a gift that I know my girlfriend would love.

Kapow

I wouldn't. The Sony is bulkier, heavier, has a worse sensor, and worse video (1080p 60fps vs 720p 30fps).

I just watched some youtube videos taken with the canon and the quality is really really nice. Gonna pick it up tomorrow, thanks a lot!!

Edit: I've been reading that there's an issue with the camera shutting off frequently while recording video, should i be worried?

diaspora

I just watched some youtube videos taken with the canon and the quality is really really nice. Gonna pick it up tomorrow, thanks a lot!!

Edit: I've been reading that there's an issue with the camera shutting off frequently while recording video, should i be worried?

I haven't had that issue come up from people I've recommended it to. Anecdotal but...

sarcastor

so i'm thinking of getting the X-E1 for about $550 on amazon and getting some old lenses on craigslist just to fuck around. For example, some manual focus Olympus Zuiko:

$100 - OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8
$50 - OM Zuiko 50m f/1.8
$125 - OM Zuiko 135mm f/2.8
$100 - OM Zuiko 200mm f/4

Does any have experience with older lenses on their Fuji X cameras?

sneaky77

So I just bought the 18mm fuji on the amazon $200 sale, I also got the 35mm, is the kit lens good enough to keep it or should I save a few bucks and go body only?

tino

Banned
So I just bought the 18mm fuji on the amazon $200 sale, I also got the 35mm, is the kit lens good enough to keep it or should I save a few bucks and go body only?

I think if you don't plan on let your wife use the camera, or go family vacation with it, you don't need the 18-55.

Fuji has pretty good discount on the kit lens. I think you can find it on used market easily in the future if you want to.

How much you paid for the 18mm? 400?

I am trying to get a good price quote from one of the Canadian dealers. I can buy the lens from Adorama and get 4% Adorama bux back, or I can get it from Canada and get about 10% discount plus 2 year CA warranty instead of 1 US year. Its very hard to decide.

Does (or did) anybody own an X-E1 and X-E2?

How do they compare? Used X-E1 go for reasonable prices...

In term of amount of camera for your money, I recommend: Used XE1 > new XE1 > new XT1 > new XE2

Groof

So I'm gonna be bringing my Canon FD 50/1.4 (alongside kit 1855) on my trip next week. Any tips for on the go manual street photography other than trying to be fast on the focus ring?

tino

Banned
yeah the 18 is down to 399.. I think Amazon just started the sale earlier

even with the x-e2 899 for body only?

X-E2 should have called X-E1s, even with all the improvements.

The price difference bwteen the XE1 and the XE2 is another lens. The 2 is not a whole lens better than 1.

So I'm gonna be bringing my Canon FD 50/1.4 (alongside kit 1855) on my trip next week. Any tips for on the go manual street photography other than trying to be fast on the focus ring?

Nothing really. Enjoy your camera!

I think if you don't plan on let your wife use the camera, or go family vacation with it, you don't need the 18-55.

Fuji has pretty good discount on the kit lens. I think you can find it on used market easily in the future if you want to.

How much you paid for the 18mm? 400?

I am trying to get a good price quote from one of the Canadian dealers. I can buy the lens from Adorama and get 4% Adorama bux back, or I can get it from Canada and get about 10% discount plus 2 year CA warranty instead of 1 US year. Its very hard to decide.

In term of amount of camera for your money, I recommend: Used XE1 > new XE1 > new XT1 > new XE2

Yeah I was thinking the same, not worth it to go for the X-E2.

I read a lot of reviews this evening and since the only lens I'll be using will be the 23mm 1.4 I'm actually leaning towards a X100s.

I read that the 23mm 1.4 is a tad better than the one of the X100s, but the x100s is smaller and cheaper.

Ooooh, just found out that the x100s comes in black now.

Looks good, and it's the same price as the silver one (iirc the black x100 was more expensive than the silver one).

X100S_Black_Front_Right_11_97566dd057.jpg

I read the AF on the XT-1 should be fast, so I'm crossing my fingers as I just sold my GX7 and M4/3 lenses to fund it.

Fuji also claimed the X100s had the fastest AF in the world which was nowhere near the truth then. Maybe to some, it seemed very fast compared to the original X100 , but it was still lagging behind the competition.

Wait until the suckers buy their X-T1s on day one and cooler heads report on real AF performance.

Ooooh, just found out that the x100s comes in black now.

Looks good, and it's the same price as the silver one (iirc the black x100 was more expensive than the silver one).

X100S_Black_Front_Right_11_97566dd057.jpg

I was gonna bite on this, but thought I heard somewhere it was a limited supply model, even though the price was the same. Found someone on Craigslist selling a silver X100S for $900, DONE.

Animator

Among other brands, yes.

And before you even try, I'm well aware of Olympus using similar kind of AF talk, particularly with their former DSLRs.

This is about Fuji here and now. :)

No I am asking because it is usually Olympus users who bitch about the Fuji AF speed and accuracy the most, and for good reason because the em5 and em1 AF speed is phenomenal.

I only spent five minutes with the X-T1 but it was a huge difference in focus speed and accuracy between it and my X-E1 (I never used the X-E2 so not sure how fast that focuses).

I am not sure if it will be as fast as the EM-1 but it is definitely a noticeable improvement over the older Fuji cameras like X-E1 and X pro 1.

Forsete

Was this posted?

First image of the A6000.
sony_a6000_f001_zpsff8c7ae7.jpg

Rumored specs
- 24,3 Megapixel Exmor-R sensor (Should be Exmor without the R)
- Improved RGB filter
- Hybrid focusing, contrast and phase detection (though phase detection pixels)
- Fastest AF of all E-mount cameras
- Bionz X processor with adaptive noise reduction, increased sharpness and diffraction reduction
- ISO 100 up to 25,600
- Price around 650 Euro for body only.
- Built-in EVF in the corner just like the NEX-6 (an anonymous non verified source said it has the same quality of the A7/A7r EVF).
- On the back similar controls as the current NEX-6
- Camera replaces both the NEX-6 and NEX-7 cameras
Sårs: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Donos

Don't know if the new mode dial placement + the 5R/5T wheel is better than the "old" NEX6 mode dial combined with the dial ring. Need a pic from the back of the A6000. Only con i see from the old placement is that the mode dial is standing out and could be easier damaged.
Well let's see the reviews. Only thing that would make me even consider an "upgrade" from my NEX-6 would be a vastly improved AF speed (low light situations).

Hi everyone. Please bear with me as I'm a complete newbie regarding photography.
I'm currently in the market for a very decent camera. I'm definitely attracted to the RX100M2 form factor but I'm also interested in the recent a5000 which is also somewhat in the same price range but supports interchangeable lenses.
So here are two very basic questions.
- How does the RX100M2 compares IQ-wise with the a5000 default kit?
- How does a good lens kit influences IQ in a camera like the a5000? Enough to make it noticeably better than the RX100M2?
- Nevermind those. Is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 a better option? (best of both worlds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom