• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

That a6000 though. Dpreview have a first impression up.
Might just save a bit more and get it body only.

Since i not intend to buy any pricey "high end" lenses soon, the 24 MP are probably to much for me. Using the A6000 only with my SEL1855, Sigma 30mm and SEL35F18 is not really worth it. The supposed high speed AF is still tempting.

I would love a new firmware for NEX-6 though (with the choice to use the Tab menue the A7 and RX100II have) but i think the 1.02 will stay the last FW for it :( . Fuji is way ahead on this.

Edit: So far the videos i saw show pretty good AF performance (in good light) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2f9ue2FJB4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6N2KQ26fd4

That price for the A6000 is absurdly good. I highly doubt the worlds fastest autofocus claim. Fuji and Sony have been claiming that for a while and the AF is still slower than Olympus or Panasonic mirrorless offerings, much less full frame Nikons and Canons.

Cryst

Having missed the upgrade cycle for the NEX-6, coming from a 5N, I'm pretty excited about the a6000. Wish it wouldn't take 2 months to have it in my hands though. Hardware dials, built-in EVF, faster AF, and option to go to the new tab menu UI make it an easy step-up decision for me.

Radec

TS590x442
TS590x442

TS590x442
TS590x442

beauty-fucking-ful

then Sigma's offering..

TS590x442

RuGalz

Those, presumably, small hands sure make a6000 look huge. Otoh, I wonder if the kit lens is that big compared to the body, how big is f2.8 zoom going to look like?

Weird. I can't tell if it's actually fatter or if it's just that the top plate isn't sloped on the back anymore. And the rear dial looks just a tiny bit smaller. I guess Tri-Navi is dead on APS-C, and the smaller viewfinder and the lack of a front dial is meant to push more demanding users toward the A7/R.

I'm not into champagne, but the resurgence it's making in premium cameras is interesting.

I don't get the new DP2 at all. It looks like a prototype that escaped the lab. Sigma make great lenses but are totally off their rocker when it comes to cameras.

That Sigma quattro looks funny, but it might be nice to hold with two hands. I have to try this irl. At least they have the courage to bring some original design language.

I have a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm zoom lens. I want to get shots with the subject in focus but a blurred background and can't really do it with the lenses I have. Was wondering if a 50mm f/1.8 would be suitable for those type of shots? Would any other lens be better?

RuGalz

I have a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm zoom lens. I want to get shots with the subject in focus but a blurred background and can't really do it with the lenses I have. Was wondering if a 50mm f/1.8 would be suitable for those type of shots? Would any other lens be better?

That's a function of the lens' aperture, your distance to the subject and the distance of the subject to background. Larger aperture lens will help but it won't solve your problem without knowing what you are shooting at under what conditions. Check out online DOF calculator to see what meets your need.

That's a function of the lens' aperture, your distance to the subject and the distance of the subject to background. Larger aperture lens will help but it won't solve your problem without knowing what you are shooting at under what conditions. Check out online DOF calculator to see what meets your need.

I think the 18-55mm has a max aperture of f/3.5. I take pictures of everything, indoors/outdoors, people, trees, vehicles under natural or artificial light. For example this:

QiKgMoh.jpg

I want the car in focus but the crowd blurred.

Radec

First of all your 55-200mm can do that but you have to position your subject much farther from you and use 200mm. Even if its f/6, you can still see a bokeh from it. (though not very good since that lens is not made for that).

And yes, a 50 f/1,8 can easily do that. The 35mm f/1,8 DX also can, but for close subjects only if you want bokeh.

Wider lenses such as the 24mm f/1,4G can still create a beautiful bokeh with the subject completely in focus but you need to keep yourself close to it.

First of all your 55-200mm can do that but you have to position your subject much farther from you and use 200mm. Even if its f/6, you can still see a bokeh from it. (though not very good since that lens is not made for that).

And yes, a 50 f/1,8 can easily do that. The 35mm f/1,8 DX also can, but for close subjects only if you want bokeh.

Wider lenses such as the 24mm f/1,4G can still create a beautiful bokeh with the subject completely in focus but you need to keep yourself close to it.

Great, thanks. I'll order the 50mm f/1.8 then. I have managed to unintentionally do those shots with the 200 but like you said, the subjects were a lot further away.

Radec

Great, thanks. I'll order the 50mm f/1.8 then. I have managed to unintentionally do those shots with the 200 but like you said, the subjects were a lot further away.

Not sure if you already know but if you have a D40, you should order the "G" version of the 50 f/1.8 since that will have the AF on your DSLR like your kitlens.

Also it is technically much much better than the "D" version. :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Would love to see some sample images from this, Curious how it will compare to DSLR's with 50mm 1.8/1.4 primes.

The wide angle converter didn't cause any appreciable loss of IQ, so outlook is good on the teleconverter. Looks a little bulky to stick on the camera all the time, of course, but having it as an option in your bag for environmental portraiture and the like would be cool, since the native X100/S lens does just about everything great except for that. 35mm equiv is too wide for good portraits, causes significant facial distortion close up and doesn't provide enough DoF isolation at APS-C sensor size.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The wide angle converter didn't cause any appreciable loss of IQ, so outlook is good on the teleconverter. Looks a little bulky to stick on the camera all the time, of course, but having it as an option in your bag for environmental portraiture and the like would be cool, since the native X100/S lens does just about everything great except for that. 35mm equiv is too wide for good portraits, causes significant facial distortion close up and doesn't provide enough DoF isolation at APS-C sensor size.

thats what I was curious about, if this adapter will still give DoF isolation comparable to that of a APS-C sized sensor shooting on a 50mm prime.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I get the feeling that Fuji's X100S lens is of much higher quality than the Canon "nifty/thrifty fifty".

Likely as that 50mm is the cheapest built lens ever (still a great starter though), but I highly doubt its of a higher quality than the 1.4. That thing is perfectly crafted.

I get the feeling that Fuji's X100S lens is of much higher quality than the Canon "nifty/thrifty fifty".

Likely as that 50mm is the cheapest built lens ever (still a great starter though), but I highly doubt its of a higher quality than the 1.4. That thing is perfectly crafted.

yeah Fuji is kind of insane with that pricing.

Anyways, I wonder how many stops you lose with that converter.

RuGalz

None 3rd party teleconverter are usually pretty expensive anyway. It doesn't seem like Fuji is really that far out of the line.

I think the 18-55mm has a max aperture of f/3.5. I take pictures of everything, indoors/outdoors, people, trees, vehicles under natural or artificial light. For example this:

I want the car in focus but the crowd blurred.

50mm could be a bit tight to get the whole car in frame? Not sure how much space you have to work with typically.

None 3rd party teleconverter are usually pretty expensive anyway. It doesn't seem like Fuji is really that far out of the line.

50mm could be a bit tight to get the whole car in frame? Not sure how much space you have to work with typically.

Ah, really? Might go in to a shop and test one then. I looked online at some comparisons and they seem to be using the 50mm for portrait shots or close ups. I do those shots as well so it won't be a great loss if it doesn't work for bigger, further objects but yeah if I could get that car shot with some nice background blur I'd be happy.

longdi

Banned
help, want to get a real camera but not sure should i get em10 or wait for a6000?
need it small so i can pick up and go.
i heard apsc is a deadend while m43 would still survive because of the plenty of lens, and the overall smaller package and ultrafast AF.

Is it wrong that I quite like this? I think I would have to have a play with one but I think the grip looks quite nice to hold

I'm fairly sure everyone designing that camera knew that Sigmas aren't meant to be handheld for a long time, they are good as gold but slower than snail sex. It looks wonderful to handle while sitting on a tripod, and that they've taken the care to align the lens with the mount shows that they understand how most Sigma enthusiasts use their cameras.

I think it looks sexy as fuck.

Okay, so we're looking for an affordable starter camera to record our new child birth, the youth, etc and other misc activities. It doesn't need to be state of the art, but some things I'd like are:

1080p
HDMI out

I'm not sure what sort of features I'm looking for, but we've been looking at
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vixia-h...94&st=canon vixia r400&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview

Is this any good? Is this about what we're after? Are there better suggestions for cheaper (or just slightly more?)? Is this the right thread to ask in? Is this the end for our hero?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay, so we're looking for an affordable starter camera to record our new child birth, the youth, etc and other misc activities. It doesn't need to be state of the art, but some things I'd like are:

1080p
HDMI out

I'm not sure what sort of features I'm looking for, but we've been looking at
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vixia-h...94&st=canon vixia r400&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview

Is this any good? Is this about what we're after? Are there better suggestions for cheaper (or just slightly more?)? Is this the right thread to ask in? Is this the end for our hero?

Entry level DSLRs are generally the go-to for photographing your children since they can do good photo and video and have robust autofocus capabilities for the unpredictable motions of child action. Something like a T2i. Camcorders of any kind are really niche at this point.

Is the x100s still a good choice for its price range in comparison to its competition? I mean, I love the look but I want the IQ to be respectable

I don't think you need to worry about the IQ unless you're shooting wide open all day err day, which ought to produce more than acceptable results anyway. The worst thing that can happen is that you won't like how it resolves the colors, but who the hell doesn't like Fuji colors.

I don't particularly think the camera has a lot of direct competition, if at all. It sits at a strata that might include a number of similarly capable cameras that might have better value for their price, but the X100(S) is so functionally specific that it might as well serve a different market.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Don't overlook the X100, either. ~$500 used and it's been improved so much by firmware updates that it's not much of a step down from the X100S. Same great lens and form factor.

Entry level DSLRs are generally the go-to for photographing your children since they can do good photo and video and have robust autofocus capabilities for the unpredictable motions of child action. Something like a T2i. Camcorders of any kind are really niche at this point.

We want video though. We do have a DSLR Nikon D80.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We want video though. We do have a DSLR Nikon D80.

Your DSLR from 2006 is not what DSLRs are now. Modern DSLRs are the go-to product for videography and the reason that no one buys camcorders anymore. It'll handle your still photo and video needs in one device without compromises.

Donos

In wonder in this day and age where DSLRs and small mirrorless cameras make really good videos (and everybody else uses their shitty phones) what the camcorder market is doing. I think that it's probably not doing great besides the GoPro which is rather special and it own category.
Why buy a camcorder when the good cameras can make almost as good videos and make also good pictures?

In wonder in this day and age where DSLRs and small mirrorless cameras make really good videos (and everybody else uses their shitty phones) what the camcorder market is doing. I think that it's probably not doing great besides the GoPro which is rather special and it own category.
Why buy a camcorder when the good cameras can make almost as good videos and make also good pictures?

Are they comparable in price? Can I get what you two are talking about for 200 USD or so?

Forsete

Videocameras can record longer clips (IIRC some legal mumbo jumbo limits regular still cameras to 30 minute clips), also videocameras are designed so the sensors dont get overheated, which can happen in small still cameras which will make the camera shut off.

I think both Sony and Canon now offer videocameras with larger sensors. Sony even has videogameras with full frame sensors.

Donos

Videocameras can record longer clips (IIRC some legal mumbo jumbo limits regular still cameras to 30 minute clips), also videocameras are designed so the sensors dont get overheated, which can happen in small still cameras which will make the camera shut off.

I think both Sony and Canon now offer videocameras with larger sensors. Sony even has videogameras with full frame sensors.

Isn't the 30min limit only for cameras sold in the EU? Devices who can record more than 30min are categorized as Camcorders and you have to pay 4.9 % import tax.
But taking 30 mins of HD content gives you already a huge file so filming in parts is probably better.
Don't know about overheating in cameras.

@DownLikeBCPowder: i don't think that there is anything (new) for 200 $.

Samsungs NX ,Nikon 1 or the NEX-3N start around 250 € - 300 €.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom