• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about a Sony A7 too but the more I thought about it I just ended up with a used X100 on ebay for ~$520+shipping because I want something that's portable. Maybe in the future if I feel the need to go full frame I'd look into an A7.

i bought an X100 new for $600 over a year ago, but that's japan. in any case, it's still a fantastic camera and i don't at all regret not spending double the price on the X100s. the firmware updates have improved it hugely, and it's really a joy to use in pretty much any situation.

i liked sony cameras on a gadgety level back when i was shooting NEX, but i could never really describe them as a joy to use. the A7 seems like kind of a muddled product to me.

MRORANGE

Was deciding what to do with my Fuji XF system, looked through the lenses on discount, looked through the upcoming lenses, got caught up in gear whoring, felt full frame envy...

Ended up ordering a Sony A7 w/ Zeiss 55mm f1.8 (beautiful and 3d-like rendering and the second sharpest lens ever tested by dxomark behind the $4000 Zeiss Otus), taking advantage of the current bundle deal.

Looking through for some legacy manual focus lenses that work well on the A7 to round things out. Ordered the Zeiss Contax G 90mm f2.8 for tele/portraiture, and might get a Zeiss Contax/Yashica 28mm f2.8 or something to finish up the kit. Manual focus w/ focus peaking is a breeze, and there's something extra fun about the notion of using legacy manual focus glass.

Will probably sell all of my Fuji gear assuming I can stand the ergonomics. *tear*

Nice, voigtlander Leica mount lenses are a great fit for the system and are usually quite small and discreet. Although I expect voigtlander to make FF lenses for the system eventually.

Was deciding what to do with my Fuji XF system, looked through the lenses on discount, looked through the upcoming lenses, got caught up in gear whoring, felt full frame envy...

Ended up ordering a Sony A7 w/ Zeiss 55mm f1.8 (beautiful and 3d-like rendering and the second sharpest lens ever tested by dxomark behind the $4000 Zeiss Otus), taking advantage of the current bundle deal.

Looking through for some legacy manual focus lenses that work well on the A7 to round things out. Ordered the Zeiss Contax G 90mm f2.8 for tele/portraiture, and might get a Zeiss Contax/Yashica 28mm f2.8 or something to finish up the kit. Manual focus w/ focus peaking is a breeze, and there's something extra fun about the notion of using legacy manual focus glass.

Will probably sell all of my Fuji gear assuming I can stand the ergonomics. *tear*

And when you do and have learnt to restrict your photos to buildings and very still human subjects, an unexpected photo op will come up. Maybe you'll come across a bank robbery in progress. You try to turn on the camera, then think you did it wrong and turn it off only to retry to turn it on again and the camera locks up for several seconds. When it's finally on, you catch a glimpse of the robbers quickly getting in their getaway car, you try to lock focus, take the shot but the A7 focused on the background again, not the robbers. They're getting away, and driving close to your position, you go for broke and try continuous shooting. Your 2.5 fps barely gets you two shots, one out of focus, naturally, and the other with the car already out of frame (but in focus). When later interviwed by the police, you'll admit being too distracted by the camera ro be able to give a description of the suspects.

It will make you wish you had your Fuji gear and maybe a X-T1 with its big juicy EVF, 8 fps with AF and ergonomics designed for humans. :p

Forsete

agentop88_Monte_Kali.jpg

Ensirius

For some situations, the 85mm 1.8 can be an effective short range tele for crop sensor cameras. Anything longer gets into the L range, this is where your 100mm f2.8 and 135mm f2L (great Lens) are.

FD mount prime telephotos are another option but your results may vary.

Those are some fantastic options. They are a little over my budget though.

I've been thinking of getting rid of both my starter kit lenses (18-55 and 70-300) and go for a 18-135 and a prime 50 mm. How's that?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
And when you do and have learnt to restrict your photos to buildings and very still human subjects, an unexpected photo op will come up. Maybe you'll come across a bank robbery in progress. You try to turn on the camera, then think you did it wrong and turn it off only to retry to turn it on again and the camera locks up for several seconds. When it's finally on, you catch a glimpse of the robbers quickly getting in their getaway car, you try to lock focus, take the shot but the A7 focused on the background again, not the robbers. They're getting away, and driving close to your position, you go for broke and try continuous shooting. Your 2.5 fps barely gets you two shots, one out of focus, naturally, and the other with the car already out of frame (but in focus). When later interviwed by the police, you'll admit being too distracted by the camera ro be able to give a description of the suspects.

It will make you wish you had your Fuji gear and maybe a X-T1 with its big juicy EVF, 8 fps with AF and ergonomics designed for humans. :p

That's when I take my iPhone 5S out of my pocket and do 10 fps continuous without any buffer fill. ;b

Haha, yeah, the X-T1 is finally a refined product and a real usable photographer's camera without much in terms of compromises. ISO dial and drive mode sub-dial; godlike. Totally shames the hilariously ill-conceived retro ergonomics of the DF or the design-by-committee-of-engineers Sony cameras, and with its giant fast EVF and quick AF it can be considered a practical APS-C DSLR replacement for most users (for still photos, anyway).

Fuji takes feedback from photographers very seriously and has been iterating constantly, while also providing great firmware updates for existing products (something we unfortunately can't expect from Sony whatsoever...). The lens selection is also very nearly a fully mature complete package at very reasonable prices, too. It's a great time to have a Fuji XF system.

I gotta go with what excites me though! I figure I'll have fun with trying out various legacy lenses this year and before I know it Fuji will likely have FF products out (maybe just an FF 35mm X200 to start with; I'd be fine with that).

Groof

Figured I'd share my experiences with the NEX-5R + Canon FD 50/1.4 combo now that I've finished going through all my photos.
First impression: the photos are infinitely sharper in the center, corner to corner and everything. Especially compared to the 1855 kit lens. I got some shots I don't think I ever could've gotten with the kit lens, especially at night. However, when having it wide open, bright light sources cause a massive amount of CA, so one had to be careful.

As for handling, the manual focusing was really difficult at times, most likely because only having the screen to work with. But once a good focus was caught it was golden. The 50mm focal length was also a real tough length to work with. Composing shots was a chore, but I managed it somewhat.

hitsugi

Are Fuji's really that amazing? I'm currently shooting with a Nex-3N and I'm not all that big on the post process work.. I took several hundred photos on a trip through Japan a few months ago, and.. just thinking about editing them caused me to delay the whole process for months, but it was necessary.

I guess the next step up would be the Fuji X-E1, but that's a pretty huge price jump.

RuGalz

Are Fuji's really that amazing? I'm currently shooting with a Nex-3N and I'm not all that big on the post process work.. I took several hundred photos on a trip through Japan a few months ago, and.. just thinking about editing them caused me to delay the whole process for months, but it was necessary.

I guess the next step up would be the Fuji X-E1, but that's a pretty huge price jump.

I think Fuji and Oly have great jpeg engines. In terms of sensor performance, it is definitely great but doesn't blow away top of the line, traditional sensors like some fans want you to believe on other forums. They have some nice lenses which helps. If you don't like doing post processing, good jpeg engine is beneficial.

Aurongel

Those are some fantastic options. They are a little over my budget though.

I've been thinking of getting rid of both my starter kit lenses (18-55 and 70-300) and go for a 18-135 and a prime 50 mm. How's that?
Thats a decent combo that'll cover your main focal lengths. The 18-135 will be very soft compared to the 50 though, it might only be a small improvement at 135mm over your 70-300. Not very important though if you're not always shooting at telephoto lengths.

If you rarely shoot above 50mm then you might also consider the superb 17-55mm f2.8 which costs about $150 more than the 18-135 and 50 combined. Likely out of your price range but its good to keep your upgrade path in mind, lenses hold their value extremely well.

Fujis has had growing pains, but they've made great strides to improve AF. The X-T1 is the culmination of that. They've really pushed things lately with new lenses. In terms of APS-C mirrorless, they're clearly leading the way. Canon (EOS-M) is going nowhere, Samsung is so-so and Sony is too distracted supporting FF.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Figured I'd share my experiences with the NEX-5R + Canon FD 50/1.4 combo now that I've finished going through all my photos.
First impression: the photos are infinitely sharper in the center, corner to corner and everything. Especially compared to the 1855 kit lens. I got some shots I don't think I ever could've gotten with the kit lens, especially at night. However, when having it wide open, bright light sources cause a massive amount of CA, so one had to be careful.

As for handling, the manual focusing was really difficult at times, most likely because only having the screen to work with. But once a good focus was caught it was golden. The 50mm focal length was also a real tough length to work with. Composing shots was a chore, but I managed it somewhat.

As your on a crop sensor wouldn't that means you were shooting basically at 75mm-ish? That would be a pain in the butt for normal shooting.

Groof

As your on a crop sensor wouldn't that means you were shooting basically at 75mm-ish? That would be a pain in the butt for normal shooting.

Yep, something like that. It was hard, both shooting portraits and landscapes was a chore. But I think I managed to snag some good looking photos. I got a full album right here, if anyone wants to see.

That's when I take my iPhone 5S out of my pocket and do 10 fps continuous without any buffer fill. ;b

Haha, yeah, the X-T1 is finally a refined product and a real usable photographer's camera without much in terms of compromises. ISO dial and drive mode sub-dial; godlike. Totally shames the hilariously ill-conceived retro ergonomics of the DF or the design-by-committee-of-engineers Sony cameras, and with its giant fast EVF and quick AF it can be considered a practical APS-C DSLR replacement for most users (for still photos, anyway).

Fuji takes feedback from photographers very seriously and has been iterating constantly, while also providing great firmware updates for existing products (something we unfortunately can't expect from Sony whatsoever...). The lens selection is also very nearly a fully mature complete package at very reasonable prices, too. It's a great time to have a Fuji XF system.

I gotta go with what excites me though! I figure I'll have fun with trying out various legacy lenses this year and before I know it Fuji will likely have FF products out (maybe just an FF 35mm X200 to start with; I'd be fine with that).

Isn't it ironic that you would rely on a cheap, smartphone camera because your 2000 dollar über camera simply can't deliver? :p

No wonder camera sales are in decline across the board.

hitsugi

Obsolete, flawed camera. Requires latest firmware to mitigate earlier limitations (particularly AF). Relatively big camera (it has an EVF) compared to its peers. Good IQ. Big kit lens, but faster than regular kit lenses.

Damn, haha. It's really the only camera I've been considering to replace my Nex-3N. I don't think needing the latest firmware is a bad thing, and EVF should be a highlight.

Then again I was also looking into the X100.. The x100s is out of my range

Damn, haha. It's really the only camera I've been considering to replace my Nex-3N. I don't think needing the latest firmware is a bad thing, and EVF should be a highlight.

Then again I was also looking into the X100.. The x100s is out of my range

Buy Evilore's X100. He's soon to have a fire sale on all his used Fuji gear. I think he also has an interchangeable lens Fuji model, but can't remember whichmodel.

Forsete

Protip if you have an RX100 or a similar camera. Put a loupe in front of the lens (10x magnification or so, 20x is too distorted IMO) and you get a pretty decent macro result.

11822656536_0bcf9f8e69_b.jpg

12440563613_794121ca2e_b.jpg

At least it is better than the cameras normal macro mode. :p
I havent tried a reverse lens yet, maybe you get a better result with those.

Well it is a not too shabby and compact macro system.

hitsugi

Buy Evilore's X100. He's soon to have a fire sale on all his used Fuji gear. I think he also has an interchangeable lens Fuji model, but can't remember whichmodel.

Correction, you said soon.. and yeah, if that happens I'll definitely jump on it if I could beat the rest of this forum D:

It would be a tough call for me between the X100 and the X-E1. I think the sheer portability of the X100 is nice.. maybe nice enough for me to bring my camera around more often.

centracore

About to make the jump from DX to FX before I get too invested in DX glass. Current options are a factory refurbished D600 (direct from Nikon) w/ 1 year warranty or for $400 more a brand new D610 w/ 2 year warranty.. what do you guys think?

I'd like to walk around with my camera, as well as take portraits - particularly in low-light situations (without the need for flash). So I need a lens that performs well wide-open and focuses reasonably fast in those situations. Neither the x100s or the XE-1 are strong in those areas from the impressions I've read.

Request

Could someone post photos in low light at f2 on the x100s? Preferably portraits.

sneaky77

I'd like to walk around with my camera, as well as take portraits - particularly in low-light situations (without the need for flash). So I need a lens that performs well wide-open and focuses reasonably fast in those situations. Neither the x100s or the XE-1 are strong in those areas from the impressions I've read.

Request

Could someone post photos in low light at f2 on the x100s? Preferably portraits.

You can always Google for x100s flickr gallery or x-e1, I have seen some good stuff there

Request

Wrong camera if you want to shoot portraits. The fixed lens at 35mm on the X100 does not make this ideal. It was discussed in the previous page:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep. Distortion of facial features, at a given focal length, is a function of distance to the subject. Depth of field gets narrower the closer you are to the subject, too, and you usually want a very narrow depth of field for a portrait. Therefore, to isolate a subject and get significant bokeh on a wide lens (which has a large depth of field compared to a telephoto lens), you're necessarily going to introduce a lot of distortion and make people look weird because you'll need to get in very close to the subject.

For up close portraits the 85mm-135mm focal length range is widely considered to be the most flattering look. 50mm and up is acceptable. A fixed frame APS-C 35mm equivalent focal length is not the way to go here.

RayStorm

For up close portraits the 85mm-135mm focal length range is widely considered to be the most flattering look. 50mm and up is acceptable. A fixed frame APS-C 35mm equivalent focal length is not the way to go here.

We are talking about Full Frame (equivalent) here, right? As in 50mm FF is the beginning of acceptable. In that case 35mm crop should do the trick as well.

And the distortion looks much more unflattering when holding the camera upright. Photographing in landscape, while not ideal, would make that much less noticeable.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We are talking about Full Frame (equivalent) here, right? As in 50mm FF is the beginning of acceptable. In that case 35mm crop should do the trick as well.

Yeah, we're talking full frame equivalent. The X100(S) has a 23mm f/2 lens (35mm equivalent focal length on FF).

well, the difference between FF and crop is a matter of framing, not distortion. if 35mm/50mm-equiv on crop is acceptable in that regard, you'd get the same results on FF by using a 35mm lens and literally cropping in post. if that's not acceptable, it won't be on APS-C either.

you can take great people shots with an X100, just not really conventional head-and-shoulders portraits, which isn't something i have much interest in. it does work much better in landscape, which is what i do 99.5% of the time in any case; there's no camera i'd rather use for, say, taking pictures of a friend when travelling.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
First session using the Sony A7 + Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 today. Definitely nowhere near as intuitive using scroll wheels instead of the aperture rings and dials on the Fujis. I lost track of what my aperture was a couple times since it wasn't baked into my head via aperture ring manipulation, and the auto ISO function didn't seem to be working appropriately for keeping me in ideal handholding shutter range (it's not customizable for minimum shutter and seems to think 1/60 is acceptable before bumping ISO, when I'd rather ~double the focal length...) so I had to go manual.

Manual is workable since you can still auto ISO and exposure comp, at least, but a lot less fire and forget than aperture priority with minimum shutter speed + auto iso, taking me into unnecessarily high ISO a few times with the variances in metering. At least auto ISO is customizable min/max.

No problems with AF speed/accuracy or speed between shots, EVF is good, love the tilting LCD, and the grip allows you to comfortably shoot with a single hand. Didn't try out the AF eye detection in this shoot (wasn't aware of it until just now, actually), but that sounds a hell of a lot more useful than Fuji's face detection (which isn't precise enough for critical focus with narrow dof). Sony's focus peaking implementation is nearly perfect, making manual focus easy and fun.

So there are definitely some usability problems compared to the Fujis. The photographic results are so much better than my X-E2 w/ 35mm f/1.4, though. This Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 is INSANELY sharp edge to edge at any aperture and pops like nothing I've used, plus all the full frame sensor benefits, plus RAW support that isn't questionable.

Waiting on a more refined second generation body and more native lens availability is the prudent way to go here, probably, but I don't regret picking up the A7 so far. I may have if I had bought an A7R, though, with its worse AF and lightning strike shutter.

Sony's focus peaking implementation is nearly perfect, making manual focus easy and fun.

this is definitely something sony still does better than fuji; not just the display of peaks but the tempering of the MF rings themselves. NEX cameras never feel like you're fighting them in MF, whereas focusing the first fuji lenses is like turning a pirate ship around in a storm.

that said, recent XF lenses have been better, and the dual-display MF implementation on the X-T1 is incredible — a much better solution than peaking, imo.

Groof

For some reason that post makes me excited for the a6000. They share a lot of the processing and focusing stuff, right?

I'm still looking for a NEX-5 and I have a few choices right now that I'd like to run by some people who know things about cameras and photography.

I have two different used options that are both in the $400-$425 range:

1. NEX-5R with the kit lens, a Nikon F Mount adapter, and a Sigma 70-300mm macro lens

or

2. NEX-5T with the kit lens

From what I understand the NEX-5T is just a little faster auto-focus than the 5R, and the kit lens is a little different. Is the adapter+extra lens worth bumping up the 5R costs?

EDIT: I DO like macro-photography and do a fair bit with a loupe like mentioned above with my phone camera.

Groof

I'm still looking for a NEX-5 and I have a few choices right now that I'd like to run by some people who know things about cameras and photography.

1. NEX-5R with the kit lens, a Nikon F Mount adapter, and a Sigma 70-300mm macro lens

or

From what I understand the NEX-5T is just a little faster auto-focus than the 5R, and the kit lens is a little different. Is the adapter+extra lens worth bumping up the 5R costs?

EDIT: I DO like macro-photography and do a fair bit with a loupe like mentioned above with my phone camera.

I think the only "major" difference the 5T offers above the 5R is the inclusion of NFC. And depending on your phone of choice, you may or may not be able to use it. And all it really does (from my understanding) is just make the whole WiFi connection faster.
If it's a choice between 5T+1650 kit vs 5R+1855 kit and the adapters for the same price, I'd say the 5R. The gain would be minimal with the T.

I think the only "major" difference the 5T offers above the 5R is the inclusion of NFC. And depending on your phone of choice, you may or may not be able to use it. And all it really does (from my understanding) is just make the whole WiFi connection faster.
If it's a choice between 5T+1650 kit vs 5R+1855 kit and the adapters for the same price, I'd say the 5R. The gain would be minimal with the T.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I'm new at all of this.

orioto

Good Art™
So.. The Nikon D4s has a max iso of 400k.

I wonder how clean the 6400 and 12800 iso are.

I've not been following the trend but how did we go from 36mp to 16 ? Is there a trick ?
Isn't it a problem for pro photographer who need super high rez prints etc.. ?

Radec

I've not been following the trend but how did we go from 36mp to 16 ? Is there a trick ?
Isn't it a problem for pro photographer who need super high rez prints etc.. ?

Nikon D3/D3s/D4/D4s are never been targeted for photographers who "needs" high megapixel count. These DSLRs are getting used for sports and wildlife that needs high frames per second and a sensor that can back it up. Putting a 36mp sensor like from the D800E defeats its purpose and will make the camera very slow.

D4s= 11fps
D800E = 4fps/6fps(DX)

Then the low-light capability will also suffer from that high-resolution sensor.

There's the D800E for people who want need the size for their prints.

We can't have both right now on sensors since the tech is not yet there.

Unless Sony already have one in the works.

Donos

or

5T has just the added NFC chip. Everything else is the same as the 5R. 5T and 5R have even the same weight. Auto Focus is the same, both have Hybrid AF (Phase detection with contrast detection). Would always go for 5R to save some $$$. If you want the SEL 1650 PZ later, you can get it used for around 100 - 130 €.

Radec

I almost bit the bullet on an A7 earlier.

Saw one on stock here in my country. Thank god they only offer the A7 Kit and they don't have stock on the FE55.

Rookje

Hey guys, I have a newbie question.

I have an NEX-6 w/ a portrait lens. I want to shoot some "photobooth" style portraits some friends during a snow trip in a cabin. What would you recommend for lighting? Should I get some cheap lightbox or umbrella kit?

I almost bit the bullet on an A7 earlier.

Saw one on stock here in my country. Thank god they only offer the A7 Kit and they don't have stock on the FE55.

Send me 2400 dollars (price of an A7 and a 55mm), you can not trust yourself with that money, With me, you're guaranteed that money will not go for an A7.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why is everyone hating on the A7, the camera feels incredible, takes gorgeous photos, and is great for people looking for a Full Frame camera that's actually pretty portable compared to the monstrous offerings from Canon and Nikon.

orioto

Good Art™
Nikon D3/D3s/D4/D4s are never been targeted for photographers who "needs" high megapixel count. These DSLRs are getting used for sports and wildlife that needs high frames per second and a sensor that can back it up. Putting a 36mp sensor like from the D800E defeats its purpose and will make the camera very slow.

D4s= 11fps
D800E = 4fps/6fps(DX)

Then the low-light capability will also suffer from that high-resolution sensor.

There's the D800E for people who want need the size for their prints.

We can't have both right now on sensors since the tech is not yet there.

Unless Sony already have one in the works.

Thx for the explanation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom