• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

de1irium

Personally I'd go naked unless I'm in windy and sandy area.

Yup, unless you're in a situation where stuff might physically be hitting your glass (sand, mud, etc...) a hood will almost always be better protection than a UV filter.

And you won't have a $40 piece of glass in front of a $1600 lens.

Welp, I found a good deal on a used Fuji X 100S, so I took the plunge and ordered it, and it's partially due to all the praise it gets in this thread. It came down to that or a new Nikon DSLR body, but I've gotten so out of the habit of shooting with a larger camera thanks to my OM-D, I think I'm sticking with mirrorless cameras for now. I'm in love with the photo quality from the Fuji, and I think learning to use it will help me step up my game even more. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Would you say the 35mm 1.8 or 50mm NEX lenses aren't overpriced? I'm having a hard time swallowing the cost of either of them to throw on my Nex-3N

they're a little overpriced compared to their equivalents on, say, canon and nikon SLRs, but to be fair they do have above-average build quality. either would make sense as a good first non-kit lens to pick up.

The Zeiss lenses for NEX are expensive as well, how do those you listed compare to the FE Zeiss'? Pricewise they're about equal on Amazon. The SEL24F18Z you listed is as expensive as the SEL35F28Z and SEL55F18Z. I plan to upgrade from NEX6 to A7 or it's successor in the future so does buying a lens now for something I'll likely ditch within a year make more sense than buying a new gen lens and use it for the time being?

again i ask, why does it have to be zeiss? the sony 50 1.8 is like a quarter of the price of the 55 2.8 but will give much better results on an APS-C camera — it's cheap enough to not be that big a deal even if and when you upgrade. but it's not as good a focal length for travel photography, so that leaves the still-not-great 35mm options... where the FE version costs twice the price as E but is over a stop slower. if it must (for some reason) be zeiss for travel photography on a NEX-6, the APS-C zoom and 24mm 1.8 are by far your best bets.

sony's FE lenses are slow and expensive. this whole dilemma is exactly why releasing/buying an FF mirrorless system is a questionable idea in the first place.

again i ask, why does it have to be zeiss? the sony 50 1.8 is like a quarter of the price of the 55 2.8 but will give much better results on an APS-C camera — it's cheap enough to not be that big a deal even if and when you upgrade. but it's not as good a focal length for travel photography, so that leaves the still-not-great 35mm options... where the FE version costs twice the price as E but is over a stop slower. if it must (for some reason) be zeiss for travel photography on a NEX-6, the APS-C zoom and 24mm 1.8 are by far your best bets.

sony's FE lenses are slow and expensive. this whole dilemma is exactly why releasing/buying an FF mirrorless system is a questionable idea in the first place.

Does it matter that it has to be Zeiss? We're not planning on making a lens collection and if we were gonna buy one, it might as well be one of the best. So I ask what the best Zeiss glass are for travel and everyday photography though you are having a discussion whether or not they're worth it.

They all cost about the same on Amazon, the 24mm 1.8 is not back in stock before she leaves though. Out of the SEL55F18Z and SEL35F28Z, what is better suited for our needs?

RuGalz

They all cost about the same on Amazon, the 24mm 1.8 is not back in stock before she leaves though. Out of the SEL55F18Z and SEL35F28Z, what is better suited for our needs?

If your mother wants a Zeiss then get a Zeiss... She will just be unhappy with alternatives anyway. The question of what suits for your need really just depends on what focal length is your comfort zone. And if you are eventually going to FF for sure then don't get cropped lenses. Prices for good lenses don't drop much over time anyway.

Refuse to pay the Zeiss tax. Not only is it a brand that vastly overestimate its actual worth but the lenses are just Sony-made lenses with the Zeiss label on them.

Would you pay extra for a Toyota Camry because it is released with a Lexus logo on it?

I have a question. So I now have the NEX-5 as specified a few pages back, and unsatisfied with the kit lens, I bought a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 with the proper adapter because I really liked the look of the bokeh I was seeing in a lot of sample images and the price was right. What I did not realize was that this lens is radioactive.

I see that it doesn't pose a health risk to people, but if I leave the lens on my camera all the time, is there any possibility of sensor damage on the camera?

Refuse to pay the Zeiss tax. Not only is it a brand that vastly overestimate its actual worth but the lenses are just Sony-made lenses with the Zeiss label on them.

Would you pay extra for a Toyota Camry because it is released with a Lexus logo on it?

If that Camry carried the same performance and quality as an actual Lexus, sure.

Regardless of who actually makes AF Zeiss lenses, the FE Sony Zeiss lenses are amazingly sharp.

diaspora

I just got back from a Sony vendor show, and I gotta say that I'm reasonably impressed with their imaging offerings. Granted, having tested the waters there with the A7 and A7r I can firmly say that EVFs aren't there yet (I don't think they ever will be) but the styling of Sony's mirrorless cameras are slick as fuck. I'm not really impressed with the sizes of mirrorless in general given that putting any sort of standard, let alone tele-zoom lens on them kneecaps the size factor but they look great stylistically at least.

Does it matter that it has to be Zeiss? We're not planning on making a lens collection and if we were gonna buy one, it might as well be one of the best. So I ask what the best Zeiss glass are for travel and everyday photography though you are having a discussion whether or not they're worth it.

i wouldn't use either, is what i'm saying. the 35 is too slow and the 55 is too long. meanwhile, there's a sony 35 that costs half as much and is over twice as fast, offering better performance for your camera only without a zeiss logo. there are also two great zeiss APS-C lenses, a prime and a zoom, that would both be perfect for travel photography. i don't know what else to tell you!

if you want my real advice it'd be to get the lenses that work best on the camera you actually own, and wait on that A7 upgrade until sony sorts its FF lens lineup out. for now i don't think it's worth it at all.

i wouldn't use either, is what i'm saying. the 35 is too slow and the 55 is too long. meanwhile, there's a sony 35 that costs half as much and is over twice as fast, offering better performance for your camera only without a zeiss logo. there are also two great zeiss APS-C lenses, a prime and a zoom, that would both be perfect for travel photography. i don't know what else to tell you!

if you want my real advice it'd be to get the lenses that work best on the camera you actually own, and wait on that A7 upgrade until sony sorts its FF lens lineup out. for now i don't think it's worth it at all.

With too long, do you mean the actual length of the lens?

Tugatrix

I have that 50 for my 60D, while its nice its definitely a cheap lens. I don't mind the build so much but the poor focus ring is annoying. I want to get a 35 or wider to help balance the 1.6 crop factor thus making "x" lens have a 50mm focal length.

Have you considering getting an old FD canon lens with an adapter? I have seen loads go on eBay UK for £20-50 many different focal lengths - they will obviously all be manual focus only and you'll have to change the f-stop on the lens itself. My friend has a 50mm nikon lens with a EF adapter and its very nice glass, same 1.8 stop as the Canon II.

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-FD5...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1e876443dd + £15 FD to EF adaptor = done!

Thanks I'm studing the option, beside the manual focus there's any problem associated with the use of a FD lens on a EF camera?

diaspora

I have that 50 for my 60D, while its nice its definitely a cheap lens. I don't mind the build so much but the poor focus ring is annoying. I want to get a 35 or wider to help balance the 1.6 crop factor thus making "x" lens have a 50mm focal length.

28mm 1.8 = 44.8mm 1.8 crop

Grums

Neo Member
Anyone on here use a EOS 650D aka Rebel T4i or a Nikon D5200?

I cant decide which of the two to get. The Nikon is a bit more expensive than the Canon. Im on a budget and these seem to be the best deals I can find at the minute. However Im not sure if the Nikon is worth the extra money.

tino

Banned
So who else have picked up discounted Fuji lens in the last month while I was banned? (really its good for my priductivity)

I brought a 14mm from Canada for about 620 USD (no tax no custom). Hopefully Fuji has another sale next year so I can pick up the 56mm. that about completes my XF lineup. I just need a set of small fixed lens for my mirrorless system. I don't need any fast zoom.

Can anyone help me with regards to sorting out this issue of mine? The NEX-5N is my first digital camera since buying a 0.3 megapixel SiPix Web3 Digital Camera in 2002. I think I know what's going on here, but I'd love to take input from people who actually know their shit about this shit. The stuff down below is copied from my posts over at dpreview (click the images to make big).

Ta much!

Here is a still taken from a video shot with my NEX-5N (AVCHD 1080p50). What do those little black dots look like to y'all? My sensor (or at least the filter/glass in front of it) appears clean, as do both ends of the SEL-1855 lens that I used to shoot this.

It was actually pretty bright out when this was shot so the aperture was probably getting pretty near to the top end of the scale at the time of this still (around the F29 mark I think, at 55mm, I was shooting in shutter priority mode).

The below images were shot several days before the video above, and show up some stuff as well, but in different positions (at least to my eyes!). This leads me to believe that I could just be dealing with mucky stuff on the lenses (both of the below images were made with the Sigma 19mm) that I'm not seeing clearly when cleaning. And by cleaning, I mean that I have only ever taken a rocket blower to this camera and the aforementioned lenses.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you guys can offer!

UPDATE @ 12:01 PM 09/03/13
Yeah, looks like my sensor, doesn't it? I took this shot just today after super duper dusting out my camera and lens. Again, I have never actually 'opened' up the sensor for cleaning, I assume that that is what I need to do when I use some Eclipse swabs on it, right?

Exposure: (1/80)
Aperture: f/32
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO: 100

Can't decide wheter I should buy a X100 or X100s.

I've reas a lot in the past few weeks and there's lots of people claiming that the jpeg quality of the x100 is better and apparently Lightroom has issues with the xtrans sensor of the x100s.

Price difference is about 300$ here (new).

Can't decide wheter I should buy a X100 or X100s.

I've reas a lot in the past few weeks and there's lots of people claiming that the jpeg quality of the x100 is better and apparently Lightroom has issues with the xtrans sensor of the x100s.

Price difference is about 300$ here (new).

If you don't need the minor upgrade in features, save the $300 and get the x100. If you can afford the x100s no problem, then get it.

If you don't need the minor upgrade in features, save the $300 and get the x100. If you can afford the x100s no problem, then get it.

Yeah I just bought a used X100 for $530, it was advertised as like new by the seller and should be under warranty for a few more months (I hope it doesn't have the sticky aperture blades issue).

I guess I can resell for almost the same price anytime if I feel the need to upgrade to a X100s.

hitsugi

Yeah I just bought a used X100 for $530, it was advertised as like new by the seller and should be under warranty for a few more months (I hope it doesn't have the sticky aperture blades issue).

I guess I can resell for almost the same price anytime if I feel the need to upgrade to a X100s.

...where the hell did you get one for $530?

Good job man. You won't be disappointed. Really the x100s is only worth it if you can afford the difference easily or you need it for some professional jobs. Even then, I use the x100 on my jobs and haven't really cared to upgrade yet. Enjoy the camera it's truly something special. Also, mine was bought used a little over a year ago and the serial number fell within the SAB issue but I've had no issues so far.

tino

Banned
...where the hell did you get one for $530?

You can get even lower price on ebay.

IMO if you have other cameras, then get the X100; if you need to rely on it as your only travel camera, then get the X100s.

I might get a "ugly" grade X100 and change the leather skin myself if by the middle of the year I can not find a cheap XA-1.

I got my X100S today and I'm already completely in love with it. I read all the reviews and praise, but I'm still kind of surprised by how good it feels to use and how great the photos are right out of the camera. Best impulse purchase ever!

tino

Banned
Used is the way to go. Especially with camera bodies, they're like cars, the second you take them out of the box they instantly lose value.

FF SLR bodies and pro lens depreciate like trucks
Regular SLR bodies depreciate like cars
Mirrorless bodies...depreciate like Kia fucking Rio. Personally I will only buy new lens, I am not buying a new body again.

Donos

yea, if there is not an insane sale for a new body , i'm buying used.
Bought my NEX-6 used, 1 month old no signs of usage at all, with 11 month warranty.
Accessories were still unpacked.

Same with my phone.

Some people get stuff through connections or crazy sales and sell it just for profit which is still dirt cheap for the buyer.

Pagusas

Elden Member
yea, if there is not an insane sale for a new body , i'm buying used.
Bought my NEX-6 used, 1 month old no signs of usage at all, with 11 month warranty.
Accessories were still unpacked.

Same with my phone.

Some people get stuff through connections or crazy sales and sell it just for profit which is still dirt cheap for the buyer.

Im always amazed when design shops around her go out of business, seen a 5d mII with 30,000 shots on it for $500. Perfectly working.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
FF SLR bodies and pro lens depreciate like trucks
Regular SLR bodies depreciate like cars
Mirrorless bodies...depreciate like Kia fucking Rio. Personally I will only buy new lens, I am not buying a new body again.

idunno, i dont think lenses depreciate that fast. When i had my olympus 300f2.8, i bought it new and almost sold it for more than i paid for it because the dollar to yen value had improved in favor of raising the lens price.

That said, I just ordered a refurbished d800e, a used 14-24mm, used 300mmf4, used 35mmf2 and about to order a used 135mmf2 DC. The used prices on lenses are nice as there is plenty of inventory, but still not that far off from new, but i guess it depends on condition too.

tino

Banned
idunno, i dont think lenses depreciate that fast. When i had my olympus 300f2.8, i bought it new and almost sold it for more than i paid for it because the dollar to yen value had improved in favor of raising the lens price.

That said, I just ordered a refurbished d800e, a used 14-24mm, used 300mmf4, used 35mmf2 and about to order a used 135mmf2 DC. The used prices on lenses are nice as there is plenty of inventory, but still not that far off from new, but i guess it depends on condition too.

Lens and FF bodies (Pro bodies in general) depreciate the slowest. That was what I was saying.

Well not counting the collector Leica lens anyway.

Donos

Damn, missed to grab a three month old, used SEL35F18 for 300 € for my NEX6 by 10 minutes (Marketplace at a photography forum).
Price for a new one on Amazon.de was 420 € for a long time and is now back to 460 € :(

Did walk around last sunny weekend with the Sigma 30mm F2.8 and this lens is still sooo sharp in good light that i don't really know if the SEL35 is worth anymore just for events/bars with low light.

Welp, I found a good deal on a used Fuji X 100S, so I took the plunge and ordered it, and it's partially due to all the praise it gets in this thread. It came down to that or a new Nikon DSLR body, but I've gotten so out of the habit of shooting with a larger camera thanks to my OM-D, I think I'm sticking with mirrorless cameras for now. I'm in love with the photo quality from the Fuji, and I think learning to use it will help me step up my game even more. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

X100S? OM-D?

Me too, yo.

WjQy6IN.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Agreed with that. My 70-200 f/2.8 ISII has actually gone up several hundred dollars since I bought it 2 years ago. I could make a profit selling it now, haha.

tino

Banned
wow the price of Nikon 1 v3...

Basically Nikon admit defeat of the mirrorless market.

Mean while its still a neat tool for Nikon pro shooters who own $2000 mega zoom lens. Look forward to Nikon discontinue the Nikon 1 line in 2 years.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Basically Nikon admit defeat of the mirrorless market.

Mean while its still a neat tool for Nikon pro shooters who own $2000 mega zoom lens. Look forward to Nikon discontinue the Nikon 1 line in 2 years.

too bad, their AW Nikon 1 looks awesome. I wish it were available when I went to Barbados. A underwater housing for my OMD was over 1000 dollars. which is ridiculous. Why are there no mid range options for taking your camera underwater? Its either cheap plastic bags or housing that cost more than your camera does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom