• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone hating on the A7, the camera feels incredible, takes gorgeous photos, and is great for people looking for a Full Frame camera that's actually pretty portable compared to the monstrous offerings from Canon and Nikon.

Is it really everybody? :)

To me, especially since I don't give a rat's ass about legacy glass, the A7's feel like a product that should have remained in R&D longer. It's quirky and its real-life uses are quite limited. If this had been a DSLR, it would have been universally panned for its lackluster performance.

Think of it this way, remove the sensor and what have you got left? A below average camera in most respects (certainly at that price).

The 6D and D610 are just better and more versatile FF cameras (closest in price). They're actually cheaper if you factor in native lenses (800 dollars for a 35mm f2.8. lol Sony).

Donos

Why is everyone hating on the A7, the camera feels incredible, takes gorgeous photos, and is great for people looking for a Full Frame camera that's actually pretty portable compared to the monstrous offerings from Canon and Nikon.

Don't have the feeling that it gets a lot of hate. It (and/or) the A7R won many awards from various photography sites. While they are good cameras, the have the usual Sony problems (slim lens selection, no firmwareupdates in sight etc.).

Groof

NEX5 got a very nice firmware upgrade. Different picture modes if you like that sort of thing, and the most useful feature ever - peaking. was added then. So it happens.
Haven't seen a single firmware update for my 5r ever since I bought it one year ago. They could at least add the new menu system you'd think.

Donos

Yeah i got the Update when i had a 5N but now with the NEX-6, it's been a while. I don't know how they handle their Smartphone updates.

New tab menue is something i would also like but think that it will never happen (you would need a new digital manual for it) now that the A6000 is coming. Sony would rather want people switching from 6 > A6000.

Groof

That review really hyped me for the a6000. Feel like it's going to be a great upgrade from the 5r, but I'm still contemplating whether I should just get the nex6 for cheaps.

Forsete

Haven't seen a single firmware update for my 5r ever since I bought it one year ago. They could at least add the new menu system you'd think.

Your 5R already reached Nirvana the day it was manufactured. It can not be perfected as it already is.

:p

What's a qualitative and comfortable shoulder strap for my Canon 600D/T3i with a 70-200 4L? Anyone got some recommendations (preferably with shipping to mainland Europe)?

I was eyeing the Black Rapid RS-7 or this Sun-Sniper Strap.

If you have an old hoodie, take the string off of the hood, cut it to a measure of your liking, then put it in your camera and either sew or knot it onto itself.

They last more and are more comfortable than a free strap should ever be. Plus they look cool and hip.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What's a qualitative and comfortable shoulder strap for my Canon 600D/T3i with a 70-200 4L? Anyone got some recommendations (preferably with shipping to mainland Europe)?

I was eyeing the Black Rapid RS-7 or this Sun-Sniper Strap.

Biggest problem with carrying the 600D things isn't the shoulder strap but the balance of the camera. Stick a battery grip on the bottom of it and it hangs a load better and you need to spend a lot less (like maybe nothing) on a strap. My 550D was a pest until I put a (cheap, third-party) BG on it, now it hangs like a dream.

NEX5 got a very nice firmware upgrade. Different picture modes if you like that sort of thing, and the most useful feature ever - peaking. was added then. So it happens.

i think sony got into the mood because the original 3 and 5 were pretty much unusable at first without the ability to customise buttons and so on. now the company seems content to address issues by releasing entire new cameras.

ericexpo

need some help finding an entry level camera that good at
talking photos of buildings exteriors
talking good photos in dark places (i'm in vacant buildings a lot)
also something that can take a little bit of beating if needs to

sneaky77

May want to give your budget if you want good recommendations

RuGalz

If you are talking about physical beating you don't want the entry level ones with plastic cases. However, any entry level cam can take good building exterior or interior(with tripod) as long as you give it proper exposure. Since you need camera to take a bit of beating and need to use in dark places, Pentax K5ii is on pretty deep discount now since it's being discontinued. If you need something cheaper, used K5 is good too but K5ii is better at focusing in dark places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

If you don't need DSLR, there are various 'tough' cameras to choose from. Just about every brand has a waterproof/shockproof camera.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Canon and Nikon are running cashbacks I the Uk at the moment. As a canon owner, how is the 100mm macro? They have £80 cashback on that one, bringing it down to around £350. Also £85 off the 70-200 f4 (non IS), and £210 off the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II

diaspora

The A7 is a good camera, but isn't not significantly smaller than the 6D/D610, and once you throw a lens on it you're going to need a bag anyway...

Will the new full frame FE lenses like the SEL55F18Z and SEL35F28Z work with a NEX 6? My mother is going to Peru and she wants a Zeiss lens. There is also SEL24F18Z. What is best suited for travel and every day photography?

Donos

Will the new full frame FE lenses like the SEL55F18Z and SEL35F28Z work with a NEX 6? My mother is going to Peru and she wants a Zeiss lens. There is also SEL24F18Z. What is best suited for travel and every day photography?

Not really handy but the SEL-1670Z is supposed to have a good range with good quality? For a price.

Radec

Yes. But it will be cropped smaller since the nex 6 is an APS-C.

Is the Sony Camera division being axed?

Far from it.

They even make sensors to the 2nd biggest camera maker Nikon.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Having shot with a NEX5N for a year and a half now I cannot express how much I miss having a viewfinder. For all the conveniences a swivel and touch screen allows, it still cannot replace the mental focus a well closed off and big optical viewfinder allows. With that said, I'm thinking of getting a cheap 5D to supplement my 5N

Radec

A7/A7R light leak ?
medium

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/A7-A7R-Light-leaks/td-p/254835

Groof

Having shot with a NEX5N for a year and a half now I cannot express how much I miss having a viewfinder. For all the conveniences a swivel and touch screen allows, it still cannot replace the mental focus a well closed off and big optical viewfinder allows. With that said, I'm thinking of getting a cheap 5D to supplement my 5N

Oh man I know exactly what you mean. I won't be shooting as big as a 5D, but I'm definitely looking at upgrading to NEX6/a6000, depending on how reviews for the a6000 go.

GlamFM

Banned
Bought a FUJI XT-1 last week and took it out for the first time yesterday.
It´the most fun I´ve ever had with a camera.

I´m shooting all manual - SO GOOD!

Seriously considering to sell my D800 now...

Not really handy but the SEL-1670Z is supposed to have a good range with good quality? For a price.

I can get the SEL55F18Z 60 euro cheaper than SEL1670Z. It's also made for APS-C so it's not a future proof lens especially because Sony hasn't announced anything for future E mount lenses and these 35mm FF mirrorless cameras are the successor of the NEX series.

roadmap_img_03.jpg

I plan to upgrade from NEX6 to the A7 or it's successor within a year.

Yes. But it will be cropped smaller since the nex 6 is an APS-C.

I found a comparison of the FE35 on nex 7 and a7r

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114429158@N08/11941673034/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/114429158@N08/11941224245/in/photostream/

Cropped indeed
I think it's due to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm_equivalent_focal_length
35 mm equivalent focal lengths are calculated by multiplying the actual focal length of the lens by the crop factor of the sensor.
A7: 35mm
Sony APS-C format: crop factor 1.5*35mm: 53mm

So the 55F18Z on Nex 6 would have an 35 mm equivalent focal length of 83mm.

I'll get the FE lens though even if it's cropped because if I got a E lens now and plan to upgrade the body later, I'll have the exact same problem.

Radec

^
yes, same goes to Nikon cameras. DX/FX.

- -

Looks like the D800E got finally dethroned in being the #1 sensor
RED-Epic-Dragon-camera-DxOMark-review.png

RED-Epic-Dragon-camera-vs-Nikon-D800-DSLR.png

jesus.. that leap.

got my X-T1 yesterday, don't know how i lived without it.

why does it have to be zeiss? i wouldn't get either of the FE primes for a NEX-6, they'd be wildly overpriced and not super useful compared to the 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8 NEX lenses. the 24mm 1.8 is pretty good and versatile, and the 16-70 obviously wouldn't be a bad bet for travel photography.

hitsugi

why does it have to be zeiss? i wouldn't get either of the FE primes for a NEX-6, they'd be wildly overpriced and not super useful compared to the 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8 NEX lenses. the 24mm 1.8 is pretty good and versatile, and the 16-70 obviously wouldn't be a bad bet for travel photography.

Would you say the 35mm 1.8 or 50mm NEX lenses aren't overpriced? I'm having a hard time swallowing the cost of either of them to throw on my Nex-3N

I know it's really not the best or even close as far as mirror less goes...

But I'm really excited. I got a great deal through my buddy and bout the EOS M with the 22mm f2 lens for only 200$. For that price I just had to do it, I have too many canon lenses, I would love a great canon mirror less.

I know the competition is definitely stronger than the one (now upgraded too two) models canon has put out and now pulled. It's still a great camera though, and it's small and light.

I'm excited to have a camera I can take out with me on hikes or anywhere without lugging my 5D MK II which, I almost never do since it's really my filming camera now.

Can't wait for him to bring it over tomorrow!

The Zeiss lenses for NEX are expensive as well, how do those you listed compare to the FE Zeiss'? Pricewise they're about equal on Amazon. The SEL24F18Z you listed is as expensive as the SEL35F28Z and SEL55F18Z. I plan to upgrade from NEX6 to A7 or it's successor in the future so does buying a lens now for something I'll likely ditch within a year make more sense than buying a new gen lens and use it for the time being?

de1irium

I know it's really not the best or even close as far as mirror less goes...

But I'm really excited. I got a great deal through my buddy and bout the EOS M with the 22mm f2 lens for only 200$. For that price I just had to do it, I have too many canon lenses, I would love a great canon mirror less.

I know the competition is definitely stronger than the one (now upgraded too two) models canon has put out and now pulled. It's still a great camera though, and it's small and light.

My EOS-M is handy, but ... keep your expectations low.

Radec

The Zeiss lenses for NEX are expensive as well, how do those you listed compare to the FE Zeiss'? Pricewise they're about equal on Amazon. The SEL24F18Z you listed is as expensive as the SEL35F28Z and SEL55F18Z. I plan to upgrade from NEX6 to A7 or it's successor in the future so does buying a lens now for something I'll likely ditch within a year make more sense than buying a new gen lens and use it for the time being?

Go with the FE way if you really plan on getting the A7 or future FF emount body.

Zeiss pricess doesn't really go down that fast anyway.

My EOS-M is handy, but ... keep your expectations low.

Haha I think for 200$ my expectations are wheret hey should be. I just want to be able to take nice and clear photos again without lggung around a 5D MkII. The 22mm f2 should get me around t2i level photos. Thats way better than my iphone can even come close too, and honestly is great quality.

I am baffled by canons reluctance to embrace the market.

diaspora

Haha I think for 200$ my expectations are wheret hey should be. I just want to be able to take nice and clear photos again without lggung around a 5D MkII. The 22mm f2 should get me around t2i level photos. Thats way better than my iphone can even come close too, and honestly is great quality.

North America doesn't give a shit.

de1irium

The image quality is pretty decent... the 22mm vignettes really badly, and if you pixel peep you can tell it's not a terribly great lens in general. But yeah, overall image quality is still leaps and bounds above smartphones.

fabprems

Hey fellow gaffers,

Just want some advices, I'm on the verge on buying a new camera. I'm no photographer, I had a decent compact for a few years (lumix tz27), and I don't want a reflex cause I mostly use my camera when I travel, and want to keep it light... I read that lot of you love the X100/S, but it's so damn expensive in Europe...

So, I'm thinking of getting a hybrid camera, they are in my budget (500/600euros) and the quality/portability ratio seems great for an "amateur" like me.
I was thinking about getting the Fuji XM1, and now I've seen the NEX 6 at the same price in a store nearby, and I'm having second thoughts... What's GAF's opinion on these ?

I'll be happy to get some advice/feedback from you guys ;)

hitsugi

Unless having a viewfinder isn't as important to you, I probably wouldn't put the X-M1 against the NEX 6.. more likely the X-E1, and it is a decent bit more than the NEX 6.

Just ordered this Saturday for my birthday. Can't wait to test it out!!

lens_zps91a645a9.jpg

Edit: How good are the B+W filters compared to the market? The reviews looked good, but is it really that good compared to the $11 Tiffen?

fabprems

Unless having a viewfinder isn't as important to you, I probably wouldn't put the X-M1 against the NEX 6.. more likely the X-E1, and it is a decent bit more than the NEX 6.

Like I said, I come from a pretty standard compact so I'm not really attached to a viewfinder... And the X-E1 is 800€, so that's 200 above my budget. Is the X-E1 worth the difference ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom