• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenexus6

Been thinking a lot of getting an EOS M camera. Never really considered it but hearing its so cheap now and basically offers the same image of the t2/3/4i cameras interests me. The only three M lens seem very nice, and the EF adapter would let me use the lenses I already have for my 60d.

I love my 60d but I just don't take it around with me due to its size. Pretty much the sole reason I got the 60d was to shoot video and make films. I would like to have a small camera to take with me everywhere so I can grab photos / videos. Plus that 22mm lens works out at a 35mm which seems like a perfect street / walk about pairing.

I could straight up sell my 60d to get an M but I feel I would regret it so might grab the M if I can find cheap somewhere and have both.

Anyone have this camera and share their thoughts? Surely for such a low price getting this is a no brainer right?

Been thinking a lot of getting an EOS M camera. Never really considered it but hearing its so cheap now and basically offers the same image of the t2/3/4i cameras interests me. The only three M lens seem very nice, and the EF adapter would let me use the lenses I already have for my 60d.

I love my 60d but I just don't take it around with me due to its size. Pretty much the sole reason I got the 60d was to shoot video and make films. I would like to have a small camera to take with me everywhere so I can grab photos / videos. Plus that 22mm lens works out at a 35mm which seems like a perfect street / walk about pairing.

I could straight up sell my 60d to get an M but I feel I would regret it so might grab the M if I can find cheap somewhere and have both.

Anyone have this camera and share their thoughts? Surely for such a low price getting this is a no brainer right?

Got for crazy cheap, then bought the 18-55mm. Will be here today, and an issue with shipping. I got it for the same reason, I wanted a camera with about the same quality as a t2i and I got the lens mount for cheap as well and have a bunch of canon lenses.

Plus when I film if I need a second wide shot the video quality is still great and will compliment my MK II. I just can't take my MK II out for photography anymore, it's my filming camera. Especially when hiking.

So excited to get it today, I know in the world of mirror less it's bottom of the barrel, but for the cost of it now it's very enticing. The quality is still great for what I'm paying.

tino

Banned

Where do you live? I can give you a gaffer discount.

I am ready to moved my whole setup to XF mount.

Holy crap, if you get the grip and viewfinder it is like $1700 :lol

no, they're included in the kit. you can't get it body-only, for some reason.

too bad, their AW Nikon 1 looks awesome. I wish it were available when I went to Barbados. A underwater housing for my OMD was over 1000 dollars. which is ridiculous. Why are there no mid range options for taking your camera underwater? Its either cheap plastic bags or housing that cost more than your camera does.

yeah i actually think that camera is a great idea. every spring i look at the latest in waterproof compacts and every spring i'm disappointed that they all suck. the AW1 might be a little expensive but it's probably the 1 system's biggest selling point for some people.

plus the nikonon-style orange rubber slipcase thing is hot.

Loving my little EOS M.

xsO0bsbl.png

3Vfm5Ijl.png

I can definitely see the auto focus being annoying if it's your only camera, but as my new photography camera supplementing my 5D this is amazing. It's just so small and fun. I love the little 22mm f/2 it came with as well.

Haven't had more than a little bit with it, I'll take some actual photos tomorrow.

TtwfRRUl.jpg

Took a quick picture of my cat milo though. White balance is way off and didn't feel like fixing it in raw, my room is yellow so it's hard to get good photos in here sometimes, especially at night when there's no light like now.

thenexus6

It looks very nice in white, but I hear the black has the best 'gear" due to all the other colours being a glossy finish. You found that with yours? Damn it's such a neat looking camera, glad to hear its fun - I want something to put the fun back into it for me.

Fletcher

I have been wanting an x100 for a while. Want one before my trip in October. Should I go with a regular x100 for like $600 off craigslist or just wait on an x100s? Is it significantly better?

I have been wanting an x100 for a while. Want one before my trip in October. Should I go with a regular x100 for like $600 off craigslist or just wait on an x100s? Is it significantly better?

Not unless the price difference is that significant to you personally. if you can afford it easily, go for it. Otherwise get the x100

I just got my X100s used off Amazon Marketplace for $975 and it came with a lens hood, a lens filter, the Gariz bottom case, two extra batteries and a spare charger. Obviously that's more than a $600 x100, but I am really happy with the amount of stuff I got at the price I paid. Everything was in perfect condition too. If you can swing the price, it's worth looking around for a deal on used x100s.

I^m in the same situation. I bought a used x100, arrived yesterday. Will try it out in the next few days, and if I feel the need to upgrade I'll sell it for the same price.

But I'm confident that it will fill all my needs, and it was half of what a new x100s would have cost me.

Ensirius

So I got a Tamron 70-300 vc from Amazon for 177€. What a crazy deal. It should arrive on Sunday. Now to ditch this god awful canon tele.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Such bullshit that Fuji doesn't release both colors at the same time. I have the silver which I bought back in June. I would have gotten the black version instead but I did not want to wait 8 months :/

tino

Banned
Such bullshit that Fuji doesn't release both colors at the same time. I have the silver which I bought back in June. I would have gotten the black version instead but I did not want to wait 8 months :/

To be fair the black X100S price dropped alot faster than the black version of X100. Fuji doesn't even pretend its limited edition. It's just a 2nd year black colored version.

Hopefully next year Fuji will do the the right thing and unleash the X100FF, my body is ready.

To be fair the black X100S price dropped alot faster than the black version of X100. Fuji doesn't even pretend its limited edition. It's just a 2nd year black colored version.

Hopefully next year Fuji will do the the right thing and unleash the X100FF, my body is ready.

mine too

Donos

Firmwareupdate for the A7 was already rumored from SAR but Sony dropped also a new Firmware for the NEX6 (and 5R/5T)

While the A7 got some nice stuff it seems that not much is improved for the 6 (itsnothing.gif -_-)

This utility updates the NEX-6 camera firmware to version 1.03 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version 1.02:

Provides support for the following Fast Hybrid AF compliant and future compatible E mount lenses:
SELP18105G, SEL35F28Z, SEL55F18Z, SEL2470Z, SEL2870, SEL70200G

Note: For the following lenses, the Fast Hybrid AF is effective only in the central area of the frame.
SEL35F28Z, SEL55F18Z, SEL2470Z, SEL2870, SEL70200G

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 1.03:
Provides support for the SEL20F28 and SEL1670Z Fast Hybrid AF compliant lenses
Adds the AF drive system for movies

Note: The AF drive system for movies is added in order to enhance the scalability of future E-mount systems.
Provides support for the following Fast Hybrid AF compliant lenses:
SEL1018, SEL35F18, SELP18200, SEL30M35, SEL50F18, SEL18200LE

Note: When using the SEL30M35, SEL50F18, and SEL18200LE lenses, please update the lens firmware to the latest available version.

conflicted between 35mm and 50mm prime 1.8 for nikon d5200. some say 35mm is too wide for potraits and some say 50mm is too narrow. I care about sharpness, colors and bokeh

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
conflicted between 35mm and 50mm prime 1.8 for nikon d5200. some say 35mm is too wide for potraits and some say 50mm is too narrow. I care about sharpness, colors and bokeh

Who in the world says that 50mm on APS-C is too narrow for portraits? The generally accepted most pleasing portrait focal length range is 85mm-135mm. If anything, 50mm lenses (designed for full frame) on APS-C bodies like the d5200 are considered to be a mildly awkward in-between focal length range, at about 75mm equivalent. Not fully ideal for portraits but too narrow for multi-purpose. It's still useful, of course, and will give you more subject isolation (bokeh) than the 35mm option (~50mm equivalent).

The three classic prime focal lengths are 35mm (street, landscape, group shots), 50mm (multipurpose, similar to human eye), and 85mm (portraiture). Note that that's at full frame equivalent, so your 35 will act more like a 50 and your 50 will act more like a 75 on that body.

Look at lens reviews re: sharpness and look at flickr groups for those lenses for bokeh style.

^
Unless he chooses the 35 1.8G which is exactly 35mm on his D5200.

Focal length of a lens is independent of the camera. 35mm is 35mm. What's considered wide or normal or tele depends on film/sensor size.

It's 52.5mm on APS-C cameras.

The lens is still a 35mm; the area captured on it is equivalent to what a 52.5mm lens would capture on a full frame.

With regards to portrait lenses, distortion of facial features is a function of the distance to the subject. With a shorter focal length you will be too close to the subject when you fill the frame with them. Longer focal lengths simply let you be farther away, which also shows less of the background.

On a crop sensor the 50mm will work well enough for portraits. When I had both a 35mm and a 50mm on a crop sensor, I used the 35mm the vast majority of my walk around shooting, at parties, etc., the 50mm was too long.

I would echo EviLore's suggestion to check out Flickr; thousands of people will have posted pictures taken on a camera like yours with the lenses you are considering.

tino

Banned
Focal length of a lens is independent of the camera. 35mm is 35mm. What's considered wide or normal or tele depends on film/sensor size.

The lens is still a 35mm; the area captured on it is equivalent to what a 52.5mm lens would capture on a full frame.

With regards to portrait lenses, distortion of facial features is a function of the distance to the subject. With a shorter focal length you will be too close to the subject when you fill the frame with them. Longer focal lengths simply let you be farther away, which also shows less of the background.

On a crop sensor the 50mm will work well enough for portraits. When I had both a 35mm and a 50mm on a crop sensor, I used the 35mm the vast majority of my walk around shooting, at parties, etc., the 50mm was too long.

I would echo EviLore's suggestion to check out Flickr; thousands of people will have posted pictures taken on a camera like yours with the lenses you are considering.

When he said 52.5mm, it was just a short hand for "52.5mm equivalent for a full frame 135 format camera". don't be a dick.

Are you going to talk about the Nikon 1 lens with straigh face focal length number too? Nobody knows what the angle of view is if you don't translate it to 35mm speak.

Who in the world says that 50mm on APS-C is too narrow for portraits? The generally accepted most pleasing portrait focal length range is 85mm-135mm. If anything, 50mm lenses (designed for full frame) on APS-C bodies like the d5200 are considered to be a mildly awkward in-between focal length range, at about 75mm equivalent. Not fully ideal for portraits but too narrow for multi-purpose. It's still useful, of course, and will give you more subject isolation (bokeh) than the 35mm option (~50mm equivalent).

The three classic prime focal lengths are 35mm (street, landscape, group shots), 50mm (multipurpose, similar to human eye), and 85mm (portraiture). Note that that's at full frame equivalent, so your 35 will act more like a 50 and your 50 will act more like a 75 on that body.

Look at lens reviews re: sharpness and look at flickr groups for those lenses for bokeh style.

Thanks. Looking at what you said and some exposures cutting off 35mm as an option and thinking of 50mm or 85mm

What is the best 85mm lens for a Nikon apsc ? I know there is one from Nikon and have seen its reviews its quite good but do people have experience using non nikon 85 mms?

Flo_Evans

IMHO there is really no "good" option for a nikon apsc sensor portrait lens. You can use the 50mm 1.4 but you still need to crop, bokeh is not great. You can use the 60mm 2.8 micro but it so sharp you need to retouch skin a lot, bokeh is ok but again not great.

The 85mm 1.4 is ace on full frame but tight on crop, also cost 2x as much as any crop body... I have a 105 f/2 DC I also love on full frame but is out of the question unless you are outside and have lots of room on a crop sensor.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
IMHO there is really no "good" option for a nikon apsc sensor portrait lens. You can use the 50mm 1.4 but you still need to crop, bokeh is not great. You can use the 60mm 2.8 micro but it so sharp you need to retouch skin a lot, bokeh is ok but again not great.

The 85mm 1.4 is ace on full frame but tight on crop, also cost 2x as much as any crop body... I have a 105 f/2 DC I also love on full frame but is out of the question unless you are outside and have lots of room on a crop sensor.

the 85mm 1.8 would be fine on DX wouldnt it? Its only 400 bucks or so?

Also, i think "tight" for focal length is subjective. I just got the 135mm DC and I dont find i need to be too far back, depends on what you want.

Flo_Evans

the 85mm 1.8 would be fine on DX wouldnt it? Its only 400 bucks or so?

Also, i think "tight" for focal length is subjective. I just got the 135mm DC and I dont find i need to be too far back, depends on what you want.

It would be "fine" but the rendering is completely different from the 1.4, it has a bit more contrast and typical nikon bokeh (slight hard edge). IMHO if that is all you can afford go for it, its not a bad lens the only problem is nikon makes far better ones for portraiture.

Far better might be a stretch though the differences are not huge but they are there if you are looking for them.

Kind of sucks about photography you can get "good" stuff pretty reasonably but if you want to get to the next level of "awesome" costs double or tripple lol.

Wanted t share some photos I finally got to take with my EOS M out hiking today. I know Nexus was curious.

I just need some extra batteries now. Love this thing, I haven t been able to take so many photos out in griffith other than with an iPhone.

This little guy is surprisingly sharp. I know it's not the best out there, but I'm getting used to the interface, it just requires a little more work to get great pictures.

bJ4zekZ.jpg

It can be pretty versatile as well.

gb5Ctx4.jpg

I also love the very minimal focal distance required on the 22mm

LZZpp6W.jpg

Sunset! Love having a f2 so I can avoid using a high ISO

vhDXcar.jpg

tino

Banned
It would be "fine" but the rendering is completely different from the 1.4, it has a bit more contrast and typical nikon bokeh (slight hard edge). IMHO if that is all you can afford go for it, its not a bad lens the only problem is nikon makes far better ones for portraiture.

Far better might be a stretch though the differences are not huge but they are there if you are looking for them.

Kind of sucks about photography you can get "good" stuff pretty reasonably but if you want to get to the next level of "awesome" costs double or tripple lol.

There is the cheap Samyang 85/1.4 manual lens.

Donos

Got a suprise payment from work and i'm now thinking about buying a used SEL50F18 for my NEX6. But i don't know if this is the right thing for me to walk around outdoors. Have been using only the Sigma 30mm lately while walking around and slowly started to become more comfortable with a fixed lens. Wasn't that easy to just leave the flexibility of a (kit) zoom, as a beginner.

The SEL50 is supposed to be really good for the price so i think i'm going to try this. Only con is the size which is almost like the SEL1855.

Would like a black one but they are more rare so the (used) price for it is way higher.

hitsugi

Got a suprise payment from work and i'm now thinking about buying a used SEL50F18 for my NEX6. But i don't know if this is the right thing for me to walk around outdoors. Have been using only the Sigma 30mm lately while walking around and slowly started to become more comfortable with a fixed lens. Wasn't that easy to just leave the flexibility of a (kit) zoom, as a beginner.

The SEL50 is supposed to be really good for the price so i think i'm going to try this. Only con is the size which is almost like the SEL1855.

Would like a black one but they are more rare so the (used) price for it is way higher.

how are you liking the Sigma 30mm? I've been hesitant to pick one up, because the sony 50mm 1.8 is often around $200..

Donos

how are you liking the Sigma 30mm? I've been hesitant to pick one up, because the sony 50mm 1.8 is often around $200..

Really like it. Bought it used for 80€ and it's really sharp (i have the 1. gen model).Built quality is pretty good when you consider the price. Big plus is the size which is 2/3 of the SEL1855/SEL50 so i can jam it into my jacket pocket without a problem.

Just saw the black SEL5018 for 230 € new at amazon.de and bought it, then read a bit around and cancelled the order again. My impression is that people who have the 30mm Sigma or the SEL35F18 and the SEL50 rather use the 30mm / 35mm focal length when they are underway. I guess i would be the same so the 230 € are probably wasted on me.

Without the Sigma, the SEL50F18 would probably a no brainer but since i'm not planing of selling it, i'm gonna stay with the Sigma and without the SEL50. It's no 1.8 but 2.8 is not that bad. I don't mind the lack of OSS.

Flo_Evans

GRRR. Was actually shooting some corporate portraits today and my 105 DC was acting up. Kept losing the lens ID and reverting to a non-cpu lens. Really annoying when trying to use nikon CLS. Luckily I could reset it by taking the lens off and remounting it, nothing like fucking around with your equipment when you have dudes making 7 figures standing there waiting on you =/

Gonna have to send it to nikon, looks like they want $200 to replace the chip in it. lol great.

Wanted t share some photos I finally got to take with my EOS M out hiking today. I know Nexus was curious.

I just need some extra batteries now. Love this thing, I haven t been able to take so many photos out in griffith other than with an iPhone.

That second photo is fantastic.

I had an EOS M for one day at a barbecue party at my work. I really liked the results, but the (then) sluggish AF and the operation itself was not my cup of tea. I heard that firmware updates improved it a lot.

Your pics show what this little bugger is capable of. Really good work.

thenexus6

Although I purchased the EOS M from tino a while back I still haven't even received it yet. My Uncle isn't visiting until Wednesday!

I am very excited though, going to order some kind of pouch and couple extra batteries.

I am shooting a music video tomorrow with my 60d so that'll be cool! May post a photo of it all rigged up.

tino

Banned
Although I purchased the EOS M from tino a while back I still haven't even received it yet. My Uncle isn't visiting until Wednesday!

I am very excited though, going to order some kind of pouch and couple extra batteries.

I am shooting a music video tomorrow with my 60d so that'll be cool! May post a photo of it all rigged up.

If you can find it in UK ebay, I recommend one of this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pieces-Th..._Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item20e20d5898

Make holding the camera vertically a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom