• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

The new Luxia Zeiss lenses for the A7 cameras seem to be updated versions of their rangefinder counterparts which are already awesome. The 50 Planar in particular is a really good 50mm.
Tiny too.

And Zeiss mentioned it was designed for the A7 sensor stack which can make a big difference in corner performance especially wide open.

A bit on the pricy side for me and they don't fill a big hole, but it's still great to see more high quality glass designed for the A7(s).

Radec

yo 85 Otus for Nikon/Canon Mounts

otus85_2.jpg

$4,490
3AQmK.gif

Some info and pictures of the X100T apparently leaked, saw it on engadget who has it from Digital camera info:

http://digicame-info.com/2014/09/x100t-1.html

From the source (Google translation):

- 16 million pixel APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- 3 inches 1.04 million dot LCD monitor
- Electronic shutter of 1/32000 seconds without operating sound
- A manual setting possible Full HD video. Maximum bit rate is 36Mbps
- Highest sensitivity is ISO51200
- EXR Processor II
- Lens 23mm F2
- The aperture ring of Step 1 of 3
- Hybrid viewfinder
- 4-way controller
- Function buttons can be customized 7
- The number of possible shots increased to 700 sheets by OVF power save function
- Interval timer mode and multiple exposure
- Digital split image focus and peaking
- ND filter built 3EV
- Wi-Fi Built-in. Allows remote control from the smartphone

fuji_x100t_silver_f001.jpg

fuji_x100t_black_f001.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Praying for some kind of price crash on the X100s.. otherwise it's RX100 M3 time :\
It's a lovely camera tho m8. Of course it's no X100S... but the extra pocketability makes up for it, I think.

I've been loving it to pieces so far.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Eyeballing a used A7 for $1300 in Ex+ condition. Been using a NEX5N for the past two years and I can't wait to have a viewfinder to work with. I have a bunch of manual lenses I'll be adapting to it too.

And Zeiss mentioned it was designed for the A7 sensor stack which can make a big difference in corner performance especially wide open.

A bit on the pricy side for me and they don't fill a big hole, but it's still great to see more high quality glass designed for the A7(s).

People have gone as far as removing the AA stack for better performance but its good to see Zeiss is attempting to bring these lenses into the digital age. If I get an A7 I could see myself springing for a 28mm Loxia.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^It's stupidly sharp. The 55mm Otus blows away pretty much every other lens wide open. It can theoretically saturate a 100MP sensor. Note that 36MP FF cameras have a pixel pitch of 4.9 microns.

Eyeballing a used A7 for $1300 in Ex+ condition. Been using a NEX5N for the past two years and I can't wait to have a viewfinder to work with. I have a bunch of manual lenses I'll be adapting to it too.

People have gone as far as removing the AA stack for better performance but its good to see Zeiss is attempting to bring these lenses into the digital age. If I get an A7 I could see myself springing for a 28mm Loxia.

It almost turns into a bargain with old glass. I've been wanting it for some time, but the price is still a little steep for me and I have a crappy lens collection. The A7s is twice the price, but so tempting with that impressive noise performance, silent shutter and decent performance with wide angle lenses from rangefinders.

I haven't heard of people taking off the sensor glass. How are they dealing with IR/UV light? It's a bit too risky for me as replacing the sensor would almost cost more than the camera :p

Flo_Evans

The otus is like the ultimate rich old man hipster lens. $5000 so you can try and manually focus a lens at f1.4 on a digital camera focus screen that only shows the DoF for 2.8 lenses...

They only way to really get the theoretical maximum res out of it is to mount it on a tripod with live view focusing and remote release. Or just spend $500 and get the nikon/canon AF 50 1.4 and use it.

Ty4on

The otus is like the ultimate rich old man hipster lens. $5000 so you can try and manually focus a lens at f1.4 on a digital camera focus screen that only shows the DoF for 2.8 lenses...

They only way to really get the theoretical maximum res out of it is to mount it on a tripod with live view focusing and remote release. Or just spend $500 and get the nikon/canon AF 50 1.4 and use it.

Who says you need to use the stock focusing screen? :p
AF confirm also works as normal.

The Nikon and Canon 50 f1.4 are not in the same class. The Sigma 50 f1.4 is a much better AF alternative.

Who says you need to use the stock focusing screen? :p
AF confirm also works as normal.

The Nikon and Canon 50 f1.4 are not in the same class. The Sigma 50 f1.4 is a much better AF alternative.

It's a nice lens.I just don't think it's feasible for anything due to the price. commercial photographers will opt for a zoom or something cheaper with AF and fine art photographers would opt for 4x5 or medium format cameras if they had a $5000 gear budget. I guess maybe like fashion photographers would get something like this but I figured they would opt for a larger format camera.

hitsugi

It's a lovely camera tho m8. Of course it's no X100S... but the extra pocketability makes up for it, I think.

I've been loving it to pieces so far.

Oh I know it is, and the portability is something else - I'm just trying to replace a NEX-3N which is not really much of a task, but I'm torn between X100s (I feel like it's too late to buy an X100) and the RX100 M3.. the price difference at the moment is enough to keep me away from the X100s, but perhaps closer to the holidays

BlueTsunami

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^It's stupidly sharp. The 55mm Otus blows away pretty much every other lens wide open. It can theoretically saturate a 100MP sensor. Note that 36MP FF cameras have a pixel pitch of 4.9 microns.

It almost turns into a bargain with old glass. I've been wanting it for some time, but the price is still a little steep for me and I have a crappy lens collection. The A7s is twice the price, but so tempting with that impressive noise performance, silent shutter and decent performance with wide angle lenses from rangefinders.

I haven't heard of people taking off the sensor glass. How are they dealing with IR/UV light? It's a bit too risky for me as replacing the sensor would almost cost more than the camera :p

Just the AA glass between the sensor glass and lens. When taken out it mitigates some of the corner issues but not completely.

And the running joke with the Otus lenses is that the Sigma Art line is beating Zeiss's lunch. The best 85mm lens on earth... Until Sigma comes out with their own.

Ty4on

It's a nice lens.I just don't think it's feasible for anything due to the price. commercial photographers will opt for a zoom or something cheaper with AF and fine art photographers would opt for 4x5 or medium format cameras if they had a $5000 gear budget. I guess maybe like fashion photographers would get something like this but I figured they would opt for a larger format camera.
A 4000 dollar lens is almost cheap when you don't have to spend well over 10K on the body. The 645D is an exception :p
(and more like "535" with the crop)

Zeiss did say that the Otus was designed for people working with medium format who could now get the resolution from 35mm cameras. If Sony comes with a new ~50MP sensor it could be even better.
Just the AA glass between the sensor glass and lens. When taken out it mitigates some of the corner issues but not completely.

And the running joke with the Otus lenses is that the Sigma Art line is beating Zeiss's lunch. The best 85mm lens on earth... Until Sigma comes out with their own.
Still sounds a bit risky for me :p

The Sigma's are great, but I'm not sure it is quite as sharp. Might not matter to all the people who need AF or aren't made of money :p
I'd assume Zeiss doesn't have frog egg bokeh like a lot of Sigma lens do, but then it's a lot of $
I'm no optical engineer, but Roger Cicala taught me that close sagittal and meridional lines (low astigmatism) produce good bokeh and compared to the softer bokeh king 58mm f1.4 it is clear the Sigma is sharper, but has more astigmatism.
Otus seems even sharper, but still has some astigmatism. Lines are shown for 10-20-40 lp/mm.

Lenses are never perfect and as the designers inch forward to perfection the price starts to skyrocket and margins have to go up when sales are lower. That is why I respect many of the super expensive lenses while still finding a lot of normal glass for ~500-1000$ overpriced. I love when you hit a sweet spot of good performance with a low price like nifty fifties and wish more did this than constantly trying to sell lenses close to the price of the body.

RuGalz

Lenses are never perfect and as the designers inch forward to perfection the price starts to skyrocket and margins have to go up when sales are lower. That is why I respect many of the super expensive lenses while still finding a lot of normal glass for ~500-1000$ overpriced. I love when you hit a sweet spot of good performance with a low price like nifty fifties and wish more did this than constantly trying to sell lenses close to the price of the body.

Yea there are many attributes to lenses but it seems like sharpness is over emphasized these days. I'd take adequate sharpness with characters over really sharp lens with frog egg bokeh most of the time I think.

Ty4on

Yea there are many attributes to lenses but it seems like sharpness is over emphasized these days. I'd take adequate sharpness with characters over really sharp lens with frog egg bokeh most of the time I think.
I agree. It is probably because it is so easy to measure (by lens measuring standards) and quantify. "Everyone" also cares about it or rather "no one" wants a soft lens :p

I feel it is also a bit over simplified. Is it sharp for portraits, astrophotography, landscapes etc. Maybe specify what landscapes as you need a pretty crappy lens for it to be soft at F8 :p

I kinda feel the same with vignetting which is unavoidable on wide angle rangefinder lenses and common to add in post production. The FE 35mm got a lot if complaints when it also a really sharp and compact lens and really not that expensive. An A7 and FE35 combo is cheaper than the RX1.

BlueTsunami

There's def some esoteric qualities to lenses. Like Zeisses 35/1.4 ZE/ZF lens. Not the sharpest wide open but it draws the defocused background beautifully. Stop it down and it becomes extremely sharp.

Anyone shooting with this combination? There is a mail-in offer in Canada right now for a free 18mm lens with the purchase of the xt-1 body.

I am pretty set on the xt-1 but am wondering if the lens is worth keeping or selling to find the cost of another lens.

i actually love the 18 on the x-t1. it's a great compact combo, and the extra stop of light is useful over the kit lens (despite no VR).

though is it free with the body alone or the body/18-55 kit? i would make sure i had the 18-55 first.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
i actually love the 18 on the x-t1. it's a great compact combo, and the extra stop of light is useful over the kit lens (despite no VR).

though is it free with the body alone or the body/18-55 kit? i would make sure i had the 18-55 first.

Unfortunately it's for a body-only purchase. I'm more than comfortable shooting prime only on the Fuji for a bit, as I own a 5D classic and the 24-70mm mk1; which leads me into another question.

For those that have both a mirrorless and DSLR camera, how do you decide what lenses to buy for each system? Do you overlap lenses? i.e. a 35mm on FF and a 35 equivalent on the mirrorless? Or is each system purpose driven?

Unfortunately it's for a body-only purchase. I'm more than comfortable shooting prime only on the Fuji for a bit, as I own a 5D classic and the 24-70mm mk1; which leads me into another question.

For those that have both a mirrorless and DSLR camera, how do you decide what lenses to buy for each system? Do you overlap lenses? i.e. a 35mm on FF and a 35 equivalent on the mirrorless? Or is each system purpose driven?

Obviously buy compact lens for the mirrorless systems and tele lens for DLSR. For lens in between its a case by case basis.

If you shoot Fuji the lens between 14mm to 35mm plus the kit lens compete with Canon very well. I don't know about the FX56 vs EF85.

Wolfe

Just stumbled across this thread, I'm not well versed on all the new digital cameras but I've got a snazzy Konica FT-1 and some pretty swell lenses that I take pictures of things with.

Things!

Then I take the film to Walgreens to get it developed cause I'm poor and lazy and don't have access to a darkroom.

Yeah, but I think the x100s was the same price at the time of its release.

I hope Fuji brings the Classic Chrome film Simulation to older models, I want this on my x100s.

The best new feature is IMO 3 different custom Auto ISO/min shutter speed settings. With that I will never have to touch the shutter dial again. I hope my XE1 gets one more firmware...

Aurongel

Praying for some kind of price crash on the X100s.. otherwise it's RX100 M3 time :\

It didn't happen for the original X100 in a significant way, I wouldn't count on it happening here especially considering the 2->3 is a bigger update than the 1->2.

Yeah, but I think the x100s was the same price at the time of its release.

I hope Fuji brings the Classic Chrome film Simulation to older models, I want this on my x100s.

Apparently, Fuji's mentioned there still being one more firmware update in the pipeline for the x100s. That could conceivably be a feature, Fuji's usually pretty good with supporting their products via firmware.

How much better is the 5D3's autofocus compared to 5D2?

I've mainly used the 5D2 for video until lately I've been getting more photo jobs and the autofocus can be hit or miss... Maybe I should get a 7D at reduced price when 7D2 comes out???

5D2 was criticized for its' autofocus back when it was released compared to what Nikon was doing at the time. The AF system between the 5D2 and 3 are literally night and day, it's some of the snappiest I've ever used. Also, the 6D would be a better choice than the 7D because the center AF point on the 6D outclasses any other focus point in any other Canon DSLR on the market (including the 1DX). But that only helps you if you do a lot of focus and recomposing via the central AF point, otherwise the number of AF points on the 6D can be a bit anemic. The 7D also struggles horribly in low light situations compared to the 6D/5D2/5D3.

Those QX would be great for drones or RC Helicopters if only Sony can improve its software.

Not something I'd count on, their play.memories app for the original QX lens was hot garbage. It easily overshadowed the capable optics and sensor and ruined the camera for many. They've got an uphill battle when it comes to justifying that line's existence.

Groof

The PlayMemories app got updated shortly after the QX1/QX30 announcement and it got considerably faster to connect. Still not anywhere near as instantaneous as it should be for use with those things though.

Works fine for remote controlling your regular camera though.

The more I think about it, the more I prefer an used x100s over a new x100t. x100t's hand grip colume go all the way to the top, that's a major turn off for me.

Can you guys think of an use case for the 1/32000 shutter without working flash and hotshoe? It has a ND filler already.

The more I think about it, the more I prefer an used x100s over a new x100t. x100t's hand grip colume go all the way to the top, that's a major turn off for me.

Can you guys think of an use case for the 1/32000 shutter without working flash and hotshoe? It has a ND filler already.

Could be usefull wide open in the sun. On the X100s you are limited to 1/1000 at f 2.0, so even with the ND filter pictures could get overexposed.

Could be usefull wide open in the sun. On the X100s you are limited to 1/1000 at f 2.0, so even with the ND filter pictures could get overexposed.

Oh I didn't know x100 has slower shtter wide open. This electric shutter would have been a hell lot more useful with a working hotshoe. Anyway my sentiment is that you can take any good picture under the sun at noon. So its a checklist feature.

hitsugi

It didn't happen for the original X100 in a significant way, I wouldn't count on it happening here especially considering the 2->3 is a bigger update than the 1->2.

I know, they're holding their value well. I can pick up an RX100 M3 for $700-ish. If I could get the X100s for that, I would in a heartbeat.. but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ty4on

More excited about the new Nikon 20mm 1.8... just got a new body :p

That's a lot more exciting than a D610 with a tilt screen. Looking at the old Sigma 20mm f1.8 it seems to be really hard to make it sharp wide open.

f1.8 usually has a "cheap" ring to it though so I hope the price isn't totally outragous :p

Mostly out of concern for the sticky blades + not being willing to spend more than $500 on one, and the ones I see around $500 were obviously dropped on the floor several times.

You can find a black X100 for around 600. They don't have the aperture problem and people who buy LE cameras usually baby their cameras.

Rumored new Panasonic flagship P&S spec

Panasonic LX100 detailed specifications
By PR ADMIN | Published: SEPTEMBER 12, 2014
1Email, RSS Follow
Panasonic-LC1-camera
Here are some more detailed specifications for the Panasonic LX100 camera (I already posted some of them online few days ago):

Design similar to the Panasonic LC1 (see picture above)
4.3" 16 million pixel sensor (multi-aspect angle without loss)
Lens: 10.9-34mm f/1.7-2.8 (equivalent focal length 24-75mm, magnification conversion of about 2.2: 1)

ISO range: 200-25600 (extended to ISO 100)
4K video (time limit for preventing heat)
Power OIS
3" LCD screen
Built-in 280 million pixel EVF (1.39 times / translation 0.7-fold)
Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
Hot shoe mount
Size 4.52 "x 2.6" x 2.4 "(114.8 x 66 x 61mm)
Weight: 400g
Shipping date is late November or December (estimated)

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2014/09/12/panasonic-lx100-detailed-specifications/#ixzz3DA0vXD1k

The sensor chop ratio is 2.2:1, its basically a 4/3 sensor. LX7's sale must be really bad for Panasonic to go all out on the sensor. My body is ready, my wallet is not.

Ty4on

Sorry, I didn't know it had been announced. Pretty good price for what you get. I love ultra wides but it has annoyed me that almost all are really expensive zooms. I would maybe have liked some VR, but that might have boosted the price/size too much. Just for those 1s handheld shots :p

I hope we see more ultra wide primes like this. It's very hard to find decent ultra wides for a decent price. I don't mind a little softness in the corners. Pretty sure it's almost impossible to design one that is perfect over the entire frame.

Edit: D750 has a tilt screen, but no focus peaking or improved on sensor autofocus? I don't get it :p
Still sounds cool for those who want a D610 with better autofocus.
Edit2: I'm still looking at FF cameras and just as I get slightly interested in the alpha mount I see the A99 is sold for the same as the D610 and 6D right now... A7 is still at the top of my list though :p

Rumored new Panasonic flagship P&S spec

The sensor chop ratio is 2.2:1, its basically a 4/3 sensor. LX7's sale must be really bad for Panasonic to go all out on the sensor. My body is ready, my wallet is not.

Wow, I was expecting a 1" sensor. If true those specs are very good.

Edit: Here's a picture of the Canon G7x with a 1" sensor, looks good, very compact:

large_canon_g7x_f001-5is63.jpg

Wow, I was expecting a 1" sensor. If true those specs are very good.

Edit: Here's a picture of the Canon G7x with a 1" sensor, looks good, very compact:

large_canon_g7x_f001-5is63.jpg

This is probably the reason Panasonic abandoned the 1" design: Canon G7X with a 1" sensor.

Edit: god damn you edited when I was copying the spec.

Sensor 1" 20MP CMOS sensor
Lens: 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8 equivalent
Intelligent optical image stabilization
Video 5 stops image stabilization
DIGIC6
31 AF points, touch AF
1.04 million dots LCD touchscreen
Built-in flash
Exposure compensation dial
Control ring
ND filter built-in
Full HD video 60p (stereo)
Manual video control
Wi-Fi and NFC built-in
Remote control function with smartphone
Via digicame-info

Related posts:

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2014/09/13/canon-powershot-g7-x-camera-first-picture-and-specs/#ixzz3DCFF82WO

It should be cheaper than RX100 since there is no EVF.

Aurongel

7D Mk. II images are leaking out. Looks like it's using a slightly modified 5Dm3 body with a strange semi-dial around the joystick.

Below are more images of the soon-to-be-announced Canon EOS 7D Mark II
7d21.jpg

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specifications

Kit lenses: 18-135 IS STM and 15-85 IS (no STM)
CF, UDMA mode 7 + SD, UHS-I
GPS is in the camera
No WiFi
Fixed LCD, with no touch function.
20.2MP APS-C Sensor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Dual DIGIC 6 Processors
65 AF points “All Cross-type”. Dual cross on the center point.
f/8 on center point at least, could be on more points.
10fps
ISO 100-16000, ISO Boost mode 25600 and 51200 (updated this to 16000)
1080p/720p both get 60fps
Servo AF for video shooting.
Anti-flicker mode, eliminates flickers under flickering lights (e.g. fluorescent lamps).
Spot metering size 1.8%
Built-in flash
Intervalometer
Mic and headphones connectors
Can sync time between 7D II cameras.
Lens electronic MF
About 100% coverage OVF
New Battery – LP-E6N
New Battery Grip BG-E16
7d22.jpg

7d23.jpg

Source: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://digicame-info.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom