• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec0nd

7D Mk. II images are leaking out. Looks like it's using a slightly modified 5Dm3 body with a strange semi-dial around the joystick.

Ah poopy. Rumours were that the 7Dm2 be a new film powerhouse. 60fps in 1080p is nice but doubt it'll be enough. I wonder if they did some tweaking on the codecs.

diaspora

65 AF points “All Cross-type”
10fps

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

The lack of wifi doesn't surprise me though. IIRC the 6D's top plate is plastic specifically because they wouldn't have been able to have it work if it was the magnesium alloy.

SpyGuy239

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

The lack of wifi doesn't surprise me though. IIRC the 6D's top plate is plastic specifically because they wouldn't have been able to have it work if it was the magnesium alloy.

Pithy no Wi-fi consdiering that the 70D has it. As well why no flexible screen? (maybe this is a weatherproofin issue)

Otherwise a solid camera.

I just got my 70D though and I love it to death coming from a 1000D =D

The Panasonic LX100 is the most exciting camera announced so far. f/1.8-2.8, 24mm-75mm equivalent with a 4/3 multi-aspect sensor, 4k recording, the super-fast DFD autofocus and a built in EVF? I was looking at the RX100 3 to carry around in a messenger bag, but this camera blows it away on all fronts except size.

The Panasonic LX100 is the most exciting camera announced so far. f/1.8-2.8, 24mm-75mm equivalent with a 4/3 multi-aspect sensor, 4k recording, the super-fast DFD autofocus and a built in EVF? I was looking at the RX100 3 to carry around in a messenger bag, but this camera blows it away on all fronts except size.

Its too large though. I can put the Rx100, G7X or the Ricoh GR in jeans pocket.

I can't put this or the Fuji x30 in a jeans pocket.

It should be called a "one piece mirrorless camera".

dhonk

Guys, I'm at an impasse regarding my gear at the moment. Got a T2i a couple years back, have a 50mm 1.8 with it, and also an older L lens. 20-35mm 2.8L. Which is in great working condition despite the age.

I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. Its just so big and bulky, even though its a mid size DSLR. If I bring it to anything social, I always felt like "the camera guy" when I just wanted to take pictures that look better than an iPhone.

Seriously tempted to dump it all and get a Fuji X100S or something, not sure if I'd even reach the price selling this stuff. :\

jts

...hate me...
Guys, I'm at an impasse regarding my gear at the moment. Got a T2i a couple years back, have a 50mm 1.8 with it, and also an older L lens. 20-35mm 2.8L. Which is in great working condition despite the age.

I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. Its just so big and bulky, even though its a mid size DSLR. If I bring it to anything social, I always felt like "the camera guy" when I just wanted to take pictures that look better than an iPhone.

Seriously tempted to dump it all and get a Fuji X100S or something, not sure if I'd even reach the price selling this stuff. :\
I almost feel the opposite. I got an RX100M3 and maybe I should have just gone all the way and got a DSLR, since I've been chasing photos more than actually just having the camera in my pocket at all occasions. So a DSLR probably wouldn't bother me too much... I even take the tripod everywhere when I go chase some pics.

*shrugs*

But I'll probably just keep it though.

Radec

pana1.jpg

photo-1.jpg
photo-2.jpg

CM1 - Smarthphone Lumix

20MP 1-inch CMOS sensor
F2.8 aperture
28mm equivalent focal length
ISO 100-25,600
4K-video
Raw capture
1.1MP front camera
4.7-inch 1080p display
Android 4.4
Qualcomm Snapdragon S801 quad-core processor
2GB RAM
16GB built-in memory
microSD cards up to 128GB
2600mAh batttery

wut.

I almost feel the opposite. I got an RX100M3 and maybe I should have just gone all the way and got a DSLR, since I've been chasing photos more than actually just having the camera in my pocket at all occasions. So a DSLR probably wouldn't bother me too much... I even take the tripod everywhere when I go chase some pics.

*shrugs*

But I'll probably just keep it though.

That's the thing with starting experimenting with photography with a point and shoot. If you really get into it most likely you'll soon want a better camera and lenses.
That's why I refrain recommending one, unless it's supposed to be used as companion pocket camera.

diaspora

X100S isn't much of a step down in size versus the T2i+40mm pancake. Got for a smaller point and shoot like an RX100, or the Canon G7X.

jts

...hate me...
That's the thing with starting experimenting with photography with a point and shoot. If you really get into it most likely you'll soon want a better camera and lenses.
That's why I refrain recommending one, unless it's supposed to be used as companion pocket camera.
That sounds about right. I guess I'll start keeping an eye for a sweet deal for a low-end DSLR in the upcoming months. Can't splurge again so soon though.

But I'll keep the M3.

RayStorm

I have a question concerning Lightroom. Or rather a complaint? I'm not sure. So far I used Picasa to manage my images, it's fairly fast, works somewhat well with my approach of using windows explorer to transfer files from memory cards to computer and is rather easy to use.

Lightroom obviously offers more functionality which I would like. However, it seems incompatible with my way of doing things so far. (e.g.: Catalogs and having to import new folders manually instead of having watch folders that are automatically updated in LR). Also it does seem quite a bit slower than Picasa when starting the program itself or browsing through images. (Although to be fair, as of now I have all my 50.000+ pictures in one catalog and I might have saved the catalog file on an HDD instead of my SSD).

In summary I think I don't quite understand the concept of the Lightroom catalogs. And that frustrates me. I've read that you want multiple small catalogs for speed reasons, but I would like to be able to filter all my pictures for certain criteria now and then. That wouldn't work if I had different catalogs sorted by year or so, right?

RuGalz

In summary I think I don't quite understand the concept of the Lightroom catalogs. And that frustrates me. I've read that you want multiple small catalogs for speed reasons, but I would like to be able to filter all my pictures for certain criteria now and then. That wouldn't work if I had different catalogs sorted by year or so, right?

You could potentially split catalog files into each year and have a master one that you import every year's catalog when you need to access the whole thing if the performance is that poor. The catalog has to keep track just about everything in the library from all the edit history to assigned keywords. It's far heavier weight than Picassa; but Picassa is also 'smart' to save things into separate ini files in each directory. Definitely save the catalog files/directory on SSD though since that's where all the previews are also stored.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have a question concerning Lightroom. Or rather a complaint? I'm not sure. So far I used Picasa to manage my images, it's fairly fast, works somewhat well with my approach of using windows explorer to transfer files from memory cards to computer and is rather easy to use.

Lightroom obviously offers more functionality which I would like. However, it seems incompatible with my way of doing things so far. (e.g.: Catalogs and having to import new folders manually instead of having watch folders that are automatically updated in LR). Also it does seem quite a bit slower than Picasa when starting the program itself or browsing through images. (Although to be fair, as of now I have all my 50.000+ pictures in one catalog and I might have saved the catalog file on an HDD instead of my SSD).

You can have watch folders in LR.

You don't need to split up your catalogs unless your computer really sucks. Keep it all in one large one until things start to feel sluggish, then you can split it off if you need to.

When you want to import: Connect your memory card to the computer. Open up LR. Make a new folder within the folder structure on the left panel in Library mode. Right click -> import into this folder. LR should automatically know that you want to import from the card. Easy.

Increase the cache size in the preferences to help performance. When you want to browse your photos quickly, use Library mode. If you get lag in Library mode, that means you don't have all your previews created, so select all your photos and create standard previews.

SSDs are good and all, but for Lightroom, the overwhelming factor in performance is CPU speed and multi core.

those strange Leica cameras are mighty pretty and I'm sure make a beautiful image but they are the perfect example of impractical overpriced gear with a luxury spin on it.

You could buy like four Mamiya 7ii and it's primes for the price of that Leica. The amount of actual artists and professionals using those cameras is none.

someone buy me a mamiya 7ii

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Something only Leica can do. They have a $8000 camera and said: Let's get rid of the screen and sell it for $20'000.

What kills me is that they actually raised the price of the Leica M, a year old camera. Never heard of a digital camera getting more expensive with time unless it was discontinued or something.

Ty4on

Leica M 60 Edition

No LCD screen

Can be yours for low price of 20,000us
ISO dial, shutter dial, aperture dial. For it's hilariously high price I'd love for more camera's to include those three dials. Dual control dials won't keep me out of the menus in M mode :p
those strange Leica cameras are mighty pretty and I'm sure make a beautiful image but they are the perfect example of impractical overpriced gear with a luxury spin on it.

You could buy like four Mamiya 7ii and it's primes for the price of that Leica. The amount of actual artists and professionals using those cameras is none.

someone buy me a mamiya 7ii
I want one too. With some lenses ofc.

I could also live with the extra size of other 6x7 cameras just for that sweet 0.5 crop factor.

Something only Leica can do. They have a $8000 camera and said: Let's get rid of the screen and sell it for $20'000.
I can only imagine all the epic high-fives, bro-fists, and homie hugs in Leica's boardroom when their marketing people come up with these ideas.

Crazy how they simply took out the red dot and charged an extra $1000 on the M a few months ago.

jts

...hate me...
Just got my cheap chinese swagger from Amazon.

128GB SDXC
Couple of batteries + external charger
Filter kit (UV, ND, P, fluorescent and a macro lens) - still missing the filter adapter though so they will be harder to use. It's on its way.

Anyway, just tried out the SDXC, works well and enables me to set video recording to XAVC S together with the slowmotion mode... which is oddly exclusive to XAVC S.

Now, why the hell is the slowmo mode in europe 100fps instead of the 120fps this camera can do? Isn't this the digital era? I mean I doubt the iPhone 6 does 200fps in europe instead of 240fps. What's the point of keeping the NTSC and PAL limitations around? At least let me get my way around it (haven't searched if possible or not). Normal recording mode is also 25fps instead of 30fps.

Aurongel

Pithy no Wi-fi consdiering that the 70D has it. As well why no flexible screen? (maybe this is a weatherproofin issue)

It's absolutely a weatherproofing issue, the 7D historically needs to be built to withstand a small nuclear blast. Considering that it's primed to be a 1DX substitute for 1/3 the price, I think those buying it for the durability outnumber those passing it up for missing some of those features.

Also, the missing articulating screen would have been a problem if the 7Dm2 actually ended up being the film powerhouse it was originally rumored to be. Turns out that didn't happen, which makes me suspect that the film additions to the 5DmIV will be where we see the most evolution in their lineup.

But Canon desperately needs to get their sensor production in gear, they're currently 2-3 years behind Nikon/Sony when it comes to performance.

JDeluis

I'm glad to see a 70D owner who isn't bitter about the 7DMKII. There seems to be a lot of hate from 70D and 6D owners.

WiFi would have been a nice feature to have, but I can understand why it might not have been included.

I have a 7D and don't have any plans to upgrade to MkII, mostly due to being broke and loving the size of my EOS M.

Kreunt

Banned
superbrofist.jpg

What lenses are you getting with it?

Just the Sigma 30mm 2.8 as far as modern lenses goes.
I've also got an old Takumar S-M-C 50mm 1.4 coming and one of those cheapo 25mm 1.4 CCTV lenses.

I want the Sony 55-210mm when I can afford it, but I've probably already spent too much haha.

Just the Sigma 30mm 2.8 as far as modern lenses goes.
I've also got an old Takumar S-M-C 50mm 1.4 coming and one of those cheapo 25mm 1.4 CCTV lenses.

I want the Sony 55-210mm when I can afford it, but I've probably already spent too much haha.
All great choices, specially the Takumar!

muu

got Sigma 17-50 2.8 for Pentax ordered through Amazon JP to grandma's house who's bringing it stateside when she comes to visit her new great grandchild next month. $499 retail US lens for $280... amazing what kind of markup these guys put on some of these lenses out of country.

RuGalz

For some brands I shell not name, yes.

It's pretty common anyway. It's not like the quality of optic can be directly measured by weight due to different materials used for the barrel and there are manufactures out there don't need to have OIS due to IBIS. And of course there's brand tax.

Flo_Evans

Anyone need a D7000 vertical battery grip?

Sold my D7000 but the guy didn't want to pay for the overpriced official nikon MB-D11. $100? PM me if interested.

Aurongel

Should I buy the x100s or the x100t GAF?

Well, a decent x100s used or even refurbished currently goes for about* half of what the x100t will new. There's also a rumor that the chrome simulation mode advertised in the x100t will make its' way to the x100s via firmware. Realistically though, both will probably suit you just fine so I'd wait until reviews and comparisons for the x100t drop.

I'm glad to see a 70D owner who isn't bitter about the 7DMKII. There seems to be a lot of hate from 70D and 6D owners.

WiFi would have been a nice feature to have, but I can understand why it might not have been included.

The 7D needs to be built to withstand a tough beating, Canon stands to gain more by reinforcing it then they do adding wifi and the articulating screen. Canon is historically one of the worst brands when it comes to shared feature sets among models but this time they actually have a fairly good excuse for it. Popular opinion on the 7D seems heavily divided.

My a6000 arrived :D
It's really nice, but I'm stuck with the 16-55 kit lens until some others arrive next week.

Good choice but that kit lens needs to go. It's incredibly soft and the image quality can't even top the previous (non powerzoom) kit lens. It's among the worst kit lenses I've ever owned, my poor girlfriend is now stuck with it.

Kreunt

Banned
So this old lens I have is in pretty great condition other than some crap on the inside of the rear element, do you guys think it will cause any significant issues? I'm considering pulling it apart and cleaning it.
Adapter hasn't arrived yet so I haven't had a chance to test the lens.

So this old lens I have is in pretty great condition other than some crap on the inside of the rear element, do you guys think it will cause any significant issues? I'm considering pulling it apart and cleaning it.

Most likely not, maybe if you stop it down all the way you might see little ghosts. Old lenses are gonna have dust. While some of that is a bit larger than I'd like, I'd imagine it's fine. Just test the thing on some walls for a bit at different apertures.

Ty4on

There are bigger defects that still don't affect image quality :p

You should test it first. Is it an old Takumar BTW (Pentax)? I've never used one, but it looks M42 and has the same look.

Kreunt

Banned
Thanks guys, good to know.

You should test it first. Is it an old Takumar BTW (Pentax)? I've never used one, but it looks M42 and has the same look.

Yep it's the Takumar s-m-c 50mm 1.4 I mentioned in an earlier post, can't wait to be able to use it.

Ty4on

Yep it's the Takumar s-m-c 50mm 1.4 I mentioned in an earlier post, can't wait to be able to use it.

Nice, I just have an SMC-M 50/1.7 kit lens that came with a Pentax ME, but it's still surprisingly sharp wide open. It sucks that they don't make kit lenses like that, but I guess most people want zooms :p
I'd love to get my hands on the 1.4 and/or 1.2, but it seems a bit redundant to pay so much for 0.5 or 1.5 of a stop.

I'd love to get some Takumar lenses, but while my Mamiya has an M42 mount the pin from the aperture ring to the meter doesn't line up so if I can't "disconnect" them I can't use it wide open. Metering is also messed up, but I can do stop down metering with the DoF preview and it's fully manual. If I can find a good and cheap one I'd love to get a proper Pentax M42 camera.

I have a Tameron lens for Pentax M42 that works because the two pins can be seperated (and then I meter by stopping the lens down) and it uses adaptall (Tamron had one adaptall mount and adapters from that to other systems so they didn't need to make a dozen different versions of the same lens) where the aperture ring is sort of loose :p

diaspora

I have a 7D and don't have any plans to upgrade to MkII, mostly due to being broke and loving the size of my EOS M.

6D owner, but I don't mind the 7D mark II. It looks like a good camera and the reinforced and probably indestructible body is a pretty good reason for its omission I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom