• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lender

My problem is that once I've set my mind on something it's hard to change that mindset. :p

Had a bit of luck today though, won a ps4 through work. So that will help to fund that bill since I already have a PS4. :p

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
just remembered that I've wanted to upload a picture of my collection since months.

sunday I'll show you all my small nikon collection ^_^

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Why is Nikon/D800 so picky with compact flash cards?

I have two that it wont work with. A 32gb 600x and a 16gb 700x, two of my fastest cards. I have another 16gb 700x from the same manufacturer bought at the same time and it works perfectly. All cards worked on my phase one and all cards work just fine in windows.

jwk94

So I'm looking at the price of the RX100 M2 right now. $400 is a little rich for my blood. Would the price drop on Black Friday?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can equipment also include software and PC/Mac hardware? I'm contemplating getting a surface pro 4 but I already have a desktop and nice monitor which I use with Lightroom for photos. Is there a way to use two computers easily in a workflow - eg import/selection/flagging&tagging on a laptop and then passing on to the desktop?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I have two that it wont work with. A 32gb 600x and a 16gb 700x, two of my fastest cards. I have another 16gb 700x from the same manufacturer bought at the same time and it works perfectly. All cards worked on my phase one and all cards work just fine in windows.

Yeah it's kinda weird. I have a 32GB Transcend card that works fine in my D800E, but doesn't read at all in my friends regular D800.

I have no idea why.

Can equipment also include software and PC/Mac hardware? I'm contemplating getting a surface pro 4 but I already have a desktop and nice monitor which I use with Lightroom for photos. Is there a way to use two computers easily in a workflow - eg import/selection/flagging&tagging on a laptop and then passing on to the desktop?
Easiest way I can think of, is using Lightroom and an external HDD, with the catalog stored on the HDD.

captive

Yeah it's kinda weird. I have a 32GB Transcend card that works fine in my D800E, but doesn't read at all in my friends regular D800.

I have no idea why.

I tried the two cards that don't work on my friends d800 and they don't work on that one either. >.>

captive

I answered briefly in the Surface pro 4 thread.

More in depth, what I would recommend is storing all your photos on a NAS device(if you don't already), having both machines point to that folder for the photos. Then just syncing your Lightroom library files between the two machines if you want to use both to edit and have those edits show up on the other machine.

RuGalz

More in depth, what I would recommend is storing all your photos on a NAS device(if you don't already), having both machines point to that folder for the photos. Then just syncing your Lightroom library files between the two machines if you want to use both to edit and have those edits show up on the other machine.

This is what I do at home.

But if you're on the go with a laptop, you would want to do the edits and export the library then import it when you get home on the main computers to sync everything up.

RuGalz

I feel like a noob. What do you mean by library? Is that the same as the catalog?

Er, yea that's what I meant. You can right click on a folder in LR and export as catelog. Then you can Import from another catelog to merge it to another machine.

Does anybody have experience with Canon FD to Sony E-mount adapters?

I want to pick up some old primes for my A7 but most of the adapters seem kinda iffy as far as durability/quality goes.

I want to pick up some old primes for my A7 but most of the adapters seem kinda iffy as far as durability/quality goes.
I use the fotodiox ones, and they have seemed to be quite good so far. I wouldn't crack it against a wall, and I'm sure that ultimately in a drop itd be the first thing to be damaged, but they have lasted me well for a year, on my most used lenses.

Groof

I have two. I bought a Fotodiox one but after a trip in February the aperture lock ring started malfunctioning. Whenever I had it attached with a lens on it would start turning by itself. Unusable now. Used it for well over a year.

I also have one off-brand Chinese "knock-off" from Ebay that I'm using now. Been working fine so far and I've had it for almost 6 months. Works well enough and it was cheap. But it's a bit iffy with my 28/2.8 lens because I have to mount it in a very specific way to get the aperture lock ring to work on it. So keep that in mind. 50/1.4 is no issues.

Like H3X said they're probably not the most durable but I use FD lenses more than anything and they've been holding up so far.

Futureman

any recommendations for an external monitor for photo editing? Would be plugging into a Surface Pro 4 (or maybe Surface Book).

Probably don't want to spend more than $400 or so. 23" is probably big enough...

captive

any recommendations for an external monitor for photo editing? Would be plugging into a Surface Pro 4 (or maybe Surface Book).

Probably don't want to spend more than $400 or so. 23" is probably big enough...

you want an IPS monitor. Dell's IPS monitors are pretty good, not sure if any are under 400, haven't been in the market for a while. I bought the Dell 27" a few years ago.

RuGalz

Dell, Asus, ViewSonic have some pretty decent and inexpensive IPS monitors that would cover 100% sRGB. I got my 1080p 27" Viewsonic for about 250 a year ago. You can probably get higher res ones as baseline now.

More expensive monitors tend to be able to maintain that 100% coverage (or more coverage) while being brighter and have other additional features.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I tried the two cards that don't work on my friends d800 and they don't work on that one either. >.>
Welp, dunno what to say then.

I really wish Lightroom had a better way to sync between a desktop/laptop system environment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Welp, dunno what to say then.

I really wish Lightroom had a better way to sync between a desktop/laptop system environment.

I find it hard to believe we're asking for anything unusual either - I'm no professional but I bet a lot of them do initial importing on away shoots in the field to a laptop, then have to deal with it further when they get back to base.

As a person who is a military photographer, where we do a lot of night missions, I can confirm there are use case scenarios for 128000 ISO.
They wont be pretty but it'll impress the higher ups, that's for sure.

I use the fotodiox ones, and they have seemed to be quite good so far. I wouldn't crack it against a wall, and I'm sure that ultimately in a drop itd be the first thing to be damaged, but they have lasted me well for a year, on my most used lenses.

I have two. I bought a Fotodiox one but after a trip in February the aperture lock ring started malfunctioning. Whenever I had it attached with a lens on it would start turning by itself. Unusable now. Used it for well over a year.

I also have one off-brand Chinese "knock-off" from Ebay that I'm using now. Been working fine so far and I've had it for almost 6 months. Works well enough and it was cheap. But it's a bit iffy with my 28/2.8 lens because I have to mount it in a very specific way to get the aperture lock ring to work on it. So keep that in mind. 50/1.4 is no issues.

Like H3X said they're probably not the most durable but I use FD lenses more than anything and they've been holding up so far.
Thanks for the info. Grabbed a Fotodiox one for now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As a person who is a military photographer, where we do a lot of night missions, I can confirm there are use case scenarios for 128000 ISO.
They wont be pretty but it'll impress the higher ups, that's for sure.

mITcxhN.png

Yeah it is a mystery. Pretty much the only ones that work are the ones Nikon recommends. Super weird.

What do you guys think is a good price for a used Nex-5n+ kit lens? I've been watching Amazon for one to come on Amazon warehouse deals, just because they have easy returns if it's no good, and there's one for $236.

Herbs

Banned
I posted in the photo thread not knowing that there was an equipment thread so I'm posting it here again:

Does anybody know anything about a Promaster Spectrum 7 lens?

A good friend is selling his 28-70mm f3.9 Promaster for $10 bucks and I'm definitely going to pick it up due to the price but I'm curious if anybody actually knows anything about it.

What he's told me is that it's Nikon AIS compatible so it works for my D3200 and that some Promasters are supposedly made by Sigma or Tamron. The entire lens is clean so that's not a concern either... I just wanna know what to expect when I get the lens next week lol.

And to add on, what other lenses would y'all recommend to get?

Right now I have the 18-55mm Nikon kit lens, a 50mm f/1.8 Nikon E AI-S , and that Promaster 28-70mm. I do photos and videos so I feel like I've got everything covered with what I have right now but I'm not exactly sure.

captive

I find it hard to believe we're asking for anything unusual either - I'm no professional but I bet a lot of them do initial importing on away shoots in the field to a laptop, then have to deal with it further when they get back to base.

I import my photos when traveling and do edits and what not, and then when I get home move them to the NAS share, I don't lose any edits or anything. But if you were going to edit on another machine you would need to sync the library/catalog files.

RuGalz

You can save the edited version out to XMP or embedded in DNG file. And if you sync those files on another machine they will remember the edits.

However if you want the full history, you need to export and import the catalog. Maybe the cloud does it too but I don't use CC version.

Zyzyxxz

Dam I'm getting a new job which might have a nice payraise and I'm taking a vacation to Hong Kong before I start. I don't know if I can resist buying new gear abroad as the conversion rate is favorable and I don't have to pay sales taxes.

I really want a Fuji X100T to upgrade from my 1st gen X100 but if I see a used Sony RX1 for the right price I could be very tempted.

I shot with ISO 3200 tonight, which is high for me, and so many of my photos turned out poorly. Does the NEX 6 just not perform well at this setting? I'll try to post some examples when I get the chance.

I shot with ISO 3200 tonight, which is high for me, and so many of my photos turned out poorly. Does the NEX 6 just not perform well at this setting? I'll try to post some examples when I get the chance.

Well, for reference, this is an ISO 128000 image:
20151009-_DSC9906-Edit.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
, on which I kinda sorta cheated by stacking images (All handheld, so not even ideal for doing that), and then here's an ISO5000 image, with just a bit of regular ol' LR noise reduction:
20151009-_DSC9880.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

Given that both of these were in EXTREMELY poor light (the point is that you CAN'T see what's going on), I'd say it performed quite admirably, though this IS on an a6000.

RuGalz

If you shot jpeg, in-camera jpeg tends to do poorly at high iso - they tend to be overly aggressive with noise reduction which will greatly reduce the detail. ISO 3200 should be usable on that camera.

Hi guys, i could really use some advice of experimented camera users.

I have roughly U$D700 to spend on my first camera, i want to buy a DSLR and my first option given the ones i've used before is the Nikon D7200 with the kit lens, sadly that's way too expensive for my current budget but i'm kinda in a hurry to find an option cause a friend is going to the US and he can buy it there for me extremely more cheap than here in Argentina.

So my first thought was a D3300 + a 35mm or 50mm 1.8, don't know which exactly is the option in Canon but i could check it out, i've always used Nikon cameras.

Other options? Maybe a bridge camera? mirrorless? keep saving for the D7200?, i have 2 weeks to decide : /

captive

I have roughly U$D700 to spend on my first camera, i want to buy a DSLR and my first option given the ones i've used before is the Nikon D7200 with the kit lens, sadly that's way too expensive for my current budget but i'm kinda in a hurry to find an option cause a friend is going to the US and he can buy it there for me extremely more cheap than here in Argentina.

So my first thought was a D3300 + a 35mm or 50mm 1.8, don't know which exactly is the option in Canon but i could check it out, i've always used Nikon cameras.

Other options? Maybe a bridge camera? mirrorless? keep saving for the D7200?, i have 2 weeks to decide : /
is used or refurbished an option? you get much more value for your money by buying used/refurbished.

The 7200 is a great option, as is the 7100 if you don't have to have the absolutely latest. You could probably get the 7100 for cheaper.

n0razi

d3200 + 18-55 + 50-200? goes for like $400... sell the 18-55 and replace that with the 50 prime... when you want something better, swap out the d3200 for something better and newer like the d5500/d7200

Donos

Depends on settings and lens. Which mode did you use? Eg there is a mode (something like hand holded night shot) where the NEX takes 3-4 shots and makes one pic with less noise.

If you shot jpeg, in-camera jpeg tends to do poorly at high iso - they tend to be overly aggressive with noise reduction which will greatly reduce the detail. ISO 3200 should be usable on that camera.

Depends on settings and lens. Which mode did you use? Eg there is a mode (something like hand holded night shot) where the NEX takes 3-4 shots and makes one pic with less noise.

Okay, in hindsight, I think my problems were just due to shit lighting. Each of these shots were taken at 3200, and only one of them looks like shit (it's just a bad picture anyway, but the noise is what annoys me the most about it).

I generally use P mode at night (or Shutter/Aperture Priority depending on the situation).

edit: shooting on a 30mm Sigma lens.

RuGalz

Okay, in hindsight, I think my problems were just due to shit lighting. Each of these shots were taken at 3200, and only one of them looks like shit (it's just a bad picture anyway, but the noise is what annoys me the most about it).

I generally use P mode at night (or Shutter/Aperture Priority depending on the situation).

edit: shooting on a 30mm Sigma lens.

First photo seems to have a bit of motion blur, second one is just not even focused properly on the people. Noise seems alright. You can definitely control it better if you process the raws yourself. But to me, it looks about where I expect it to be. There's no need to be completely noise-phobic :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom