• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i could really use some advice of experimented camera users.

I have roughly U$D700 to spend on my first camera, i want to buy a DSLR and my first option given the ones i've used before is the Nikon D7200 with the kit lens, sadly that's way too expensive for my current budget but i'm kinda in a hurry to find an option cause a friend is going to the US and he can buy it there for me extremely more cheap than here in Argentina.

So my first thought was a D3300 + a 35mm or 50mm 1.8, don't know which exactly is the option in Canon but i could check it out, i've always used Nikon cameras.

Other options? Maybe a bridge camera? mirrorless? keep saving for the D7200?, i have 2 weeks to decide : /
You can get a refurbished 7100 for about 650 but that's body only. 3300 should be good enough and yeah get the prime lenses, 3.5 kits are just horrible. See if you can find a refurbished 5200. I think cameta camera and b and h are just giving those things away.

Radec

DSC-RX1RM2_RX1R-II_front_evf_wLogo.jpg

hot damn.

Looks like no 5-axis image stabilization though :/

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
My personal dream camera, and i already have a A7II. Damn. And with a variable moire filter, got to admit that Sony is innovating the digital FF sector almost single handed.

is used or refurbished an option? you get much more value for your money by buying used/refurbished.

The 7200 is a great option, as is the 7100 if you don't have to have the absolutely latest. You could probably get the 7100 for cheaper.

D7100 seems the smarter choice, D7200 is not a significant upgrade to justify the price even less on my current budget situation. D7100 is $700 body only and $1000 with the good 18-140mm, a lens that i read around that is pretty great to be a kit lens.
This put my current situation in having to get those $300 i'm missing to stretch to that lens or body + a 35mm. I guess i should go straight for the kit given it's a more versatile lens until i can get a prime.

d3200 + 18-55 + 50-200? goes for like $400... sell the 18-55 and replace that with the 50 prime... when you want something better, swap out the d3200 for something better and newer like the d5500/d7200

From what i could manage to find, those bundled kit lenses are the old non VR versions sadly, that's why i scraped them and went straight for the D3300 as option.

D7100 seems the smarter choice, D7200 is not a significant upgrade to justify the price even less on my current budget situation. D7100 is $700 body only and $1000 with the good 18-140mm, a lens that i read around that is pretty great to be a kit lens.
This put my current situation in having to get those $300 i'm missing to stretch to that lens or body + a 35mm. I guess i should go straight for the kit given it's a more versatile lens until i can get a prime.

From what i could manage to find, those bundled kit lenses are the old non VR versions sadly, that's why i scraped them and went straight for the D3300 as option.
Refurb 7100's here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/927106/nikon_d7100_dslr_camera_body.html
1.8 35mm lense
A refurb D7100 is really good, you shouldn't be disappointed, it's what I've been using for the last two months and it stepped up my pictures pretty well.

dmshaposv

hot damn.

Looks like no 5-axis image stabilization though :/

No 5 axis
No update on ergonomics/body
No 4K video
No BSI sensor
Autofocus same as rx1 with slightly better sensitivity

Guys, just buy a used RX1. It ll be cheaper now and 24MP is enough for most people.

The built in EVF is nice, so keeps the package small. But cant justify at that price. It is cheaper to get the old RX1 WITH the swivel evf.

First photo seems to have a bit of motion blur, second one is just not even focused properly on the people. Noise seems alright. You can definitely control it better if you process the raws yourself. But to me, it looks about where I expect it to be. There's no need to be completely noise-phobic :p

What sort of processing do you recommend? I've never really edited my photos before, and I'm not sure where to start.

No 5 axis
No 4K video
No BSI sensor

Guys, just buy a used RX1. It ll be cheaper now and 24MP is enough for most people.

The built in EVF is nice, so keeps the package small. But cant justify at that price. It is cheaper to get the old RX1 WITH the swivel evf.

Wait, I thought it had the AF of the A7RII with 399 points.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
No 5 axis
No 4K video
No BSI sensor

The af is not the same according to the specs in the official Sony specs.

RuGalz

What sort of processing do you recommend? I've never really edited my photos before, and I'm not sure where to start.

A lot of people use Lightroom for processing and management. There are plenty of other software choices; your camera might already come with one. Processing raw isn't for everyone but necessary if you are serious about an image imo. The files are basically unprocessed data whereas jpegs from the camera are already processed by the camera using pre-set parameters (and extra information has been tossed away). So shooting raw means you have to manually process every single image.

You also have the option to shoot raw+jpeg and decide later which ones need the extra latitude you get from processing the raw file. Or, what I do when I use a camera that I usually shoot in jpeg, is switch to raw only in difficult condition (i.e. low light, mixed light, high dynamic range situation).

There's really not a single way to process raw. It depends on your style. Here are just a couple links I found on Google to get you started:

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/03/19/how-to-process-raw-images-the-right-way/
http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/how-process-and-save-raw-files?image=0
http://digital-photography-school.c...s-acr-compared-to-some-free-software-options/

RS4-

So, I still have my NEX5R, but my sister is using it for portrait stuff. The thing is, it still has the 1650 pancake on it, and she wants something different.

I've been looking at the Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 ($60, + 30 1 month shipping, 60 for express)
Canon 50mm f1.8 $100 - $150
SAL50F18 - $150
SEL50F18 - $350

Unfortunately, I still have to buy an adapter for the Canon/Yonguo ( < $100); meanwhile it looks like the Alpha to E-mount is $350. Unless there's an alternative to the Sony/Metabones adapter.

Trying to get the lenses second hand; either way, what do you guys recommend? Between the Canon and Yonguo, I'm leaning towards the latter.

So, I still have my NEX5R, but my sister is using it for portrait stuff. The thing is, it still has the 1650 pancake on it, and she wants something different.

I've been looking at the Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 ($60, + 30 1 month shipping, 60 for express)
Canon 50mm f1.8 $100 - $150
SAL50F18 - $150
SEL50F18 - $350

Unfortunately, I still have to buy an adapter for the Canon/Yonguo ( < $100); meanwhile it looks like the Alpha to E-mount is $350. Unless there's an alternative to the Sony/Metabones adapter.

Trying to get the lenses second hand; either way, what do you guys recommend? Between the Canon and Yonguo, I'm leaning towards the latter.
I am a heavy advocate that anyone with an Emount camera who is budget conscious take a look at old Canon FD lenses. You lose autofocus but pay a tiny amount for better lenses. You can get a 50mm 1.4 for about $80... A lens that's sharp enough that when taking a portrait, you can see yourself in the reflection in the eye.
Also, mirrorless cameras are perfect for learning manual focus on, since its so much easier than on a DSLR.

Prez

I'm looking for a decent cheap camera body to take pictures in Stockholm. The sun sets at 4pm when I'm there so it will be mostly night shots. I will probably get a 50mm lens to get good night shots. What should I consider when choosing a body though? I will get a used one, preferably $100 or less. Would a Nikon D50 or Canon 30D be good enough?

Herbs

Banned
I'm looking for a decent cheap camera body to take pictures in Stockholm. The sun sets at 4pm when I'm there so it will be mostly night shots. I will probably get a 50mm lens to get good night shots. What should I consider when choosing a body though? I will get a used one, preferably $100 or less. Would a Nikon D50 or Canon 30D be good enough?

yeah, should be fine

Herbs

Banned
Thanks, do you think it would be okay to stick with only a 50mm lens for now?

I think you'll be fine. If you're looking to stick to low light scenarios and don't want to spend much more than what you said then a prime at f/1.8 is a nice cheap combo, especially to learn on. I can't speak to the Canon and Nikon difference other than I shoot Canon. At that price point Canon and Nikon just comes down to ergonomics. So, I'd say, Canon 30D and the older Canon EF 50mm 1.8 Mark II. The mark II is a great lens and the price is reasonable now that the STM version is out. Second hand on the Mark II is a great deal.

Prez

I think you'll be fine. If you're looking to stick to low light scenarios and don't want to spend much more than what you said then a prime at f/1.8 is a nice cheap combo, especially to learn on. I can't speak to the Canon and Nikon difference other than I shoot Canon. At that price point Canon and Nikon just comes down to ergonomics. So, I'd say, Canon 30D and the older Canon EF 50mm 1.8 Mark II. The mark II is a great lens and the price is reasonable now that the STM version is out. Second hand on the Mark II is a great deal.

Thank you, I'll start looking right away. I'm pretty excited to finally start taking decent photos!

RS4-

I am a heavy advocate that anyone with an Emount camera who is budget conscious take a look at old Canon FD lenses. You lose autofocus but pay a tiny amount for better lenses. You can get a 50mm 1.4 for about $80... A lens that's sharp enough that when taking a portrait, you can see yourself in the reflection in the eye.
Also, mirrorless cameras are perfect for learning manual focus on, since its so much easier than on a DSLR.

Did some looking around.
ATM, the FD 1.4 is $170CAD with the Fotasy Adapter.
The EF 1.8 is $70 without adapter.
FD 1.8 is $50 with the adapter.

Hopefully the latter isn't some broken shit, but that looks like the winner, I guess?

Really appreciate the help.

Did some looking around.
ATM, the FD 1.4 is $170CAD with the Fotasy Adapter.
The EF 1.8 is $70 without adapter.
FD 1.8 is $50 with the adapter.

Hopefully the latter isn't some broken shit, but that looks like the winner, I guess?

Really appreciate the help.

$170!? That's crazy! I got mine for $80... then again, I'm in US, and already had the adapter... Where are you looking?

And no, that 1.8 won't be broken, that's legitimately the price of them. They were the "lens that everyone and their grandma had".

EDIT:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-C...apan-NFD-13-/231720840412?hash=item35f3a36cdc
This is the same lens I have, from what appears to be the same seller I bought from.

Ty4on

50 bucks is too cheap? You can get the Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 for 19$ in bargain condition on KEH (29 for excellent). That's despite it being a store with a return policy and reputation of conservative grading. The lens itself seems well regarded online.

The FD and SR mounts used to be quite popular, but were pretty much abandoned when people moved over to autofocus cameras. The rare and sought after lenses are still expensive, but there are only 5 FD lenses above 400$ on KEH.

50 bucks is too cheap? You can get the Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 for 19$ in bargain condition on KEH (29 for excellent). That's despite it being a store with a return policy and reputation of conservative grading. The lens itself seems well regarded online.

The FD and SR mounts used to be quite popular, but were pretty much abandoned when people moved over to autofocus cameras. The rare and sought after lenses are still expensive, but there are only 5 FD lenses above 400$ on KEH.

I really wish that KEH allowed you to search by mount. :/

EDIT: Ignore me they do.

Does anyone have a good list of good old manual lens mounts? :D

RS4-

I can't use KEH; as good as the prices are, the import fees to Canada wipe out any price differences.

Cheapest FD 1.4 I can find is $95 CAD locally, which isn't too bad. A bit cheaper compared to eBay after factoring in shipping, import, etc.

I'll pick up the $50 1.8 that I mentioned earlier. I'll keep tabs on the 1.4 if my sister isn't too happy with the 1.8

Groof

Speaking of FD lenses, I want to expand beyond my 50/1.4 and 28/2.8. Any recommendations for longer and wider ranges?

A lot of people use Lightroom for processing and management. There are plenty of other software choices; your camera might already come with one. Processing raw isn't for everyone but necessary if you are serious about an image imo. The files are basically unprocessed data whereas jpegs from the camera are already processed by the camera using pre-set parameters (and extra information has been tossed away). So shooting raw means you have to manually process every single image.

You also have the option to shoot raw+jpeg and decide later which ones need the extra latitude you get from processing the raw file. Or, what I do when I use a camera that I usually shoot in jpeg, is switch to raw only in difficult condition (i.e. low light, mixed light, high dynamic range situation).

There's really not a single way to process raw. It depends on your style. Here are just a couple links I found on Google to get you started:

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/03/19/how-to-process-raw-images-the-right-way/
http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/how-process-and-save-raw-files?image=0
http://digital-photography-school.c...s-acr-compared-to-some-free-software-options/

Thanks! I've been shooting RAW+JPEG this entire time incase, so I'm going to start experimenting. I'm *very* picky about image quality.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^ They still make lenses for Minolta!? :p

Is Sigma ever going to support Sony E-Mount with its Art lenses?
I think Sigma admitted to underestimating the A7 and starting lens development for it too late. I don't really see the point in doing the same as Samyang as it'd have a big hollow tube which would be strange for a 1k lens.

Ty4on

Hey now dont be hatin on my Samyang lenses. Those are my dream lenses right there.
Nothing wrong with them, great optics for a low price, especially for astrophotography. I just find it odd to glue an adapter from SLR to mirrorless and calling it a native lens :p
I know they make lenses designed for mirrorless as well and that those frankolenses are nice for some people. I just think a similarly looking Sigma Art lens could hurt the brand.

Radec

e-mount continuing to be the absolute worst ecosystem to buy into.

Compared to Nikon and Canon that have decades of building its lens ecosystem?

FE have tons of great lenses. Sony just doesnt give a fuck for people who wants budget FE lenses though.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Hey guys. I wanna get into photography as a hobby. I have absolutely zero to limited knowledge on cameras. Can you guys help me find a good entry level DLSR. I know this won't be a cheap hobby but I've been thinking about this for at least a year. I don't have many caveats But I would like to have the ability to shoot in 4k and downsample to 1080. And image stabilization. Any advice and recommendation are greatly appreciated.

RuGalz

e-mount continuing to be the absolute worst ecosystem to buy into.

Transition period. Oh and plus...

http://ilovehatephoto.com/2015/02/2...-switch-to-sony-full-frame-mirrorless-system/

It’s a bit more difficult to make [Sigma] ART lenses for the Sony FE system because of the not so large diameter of the mount. We don’t know why Sony did this. Likely because the E-mount was meant for APS-C first and only after that they did use it for FF too.

Herbs

Banned
Hey guys. I wanna get into photography as a hobby. I have absolutely zero to limited knowledge on cameras. Can you guys help me find a good entry level DLSR. I know this won't be a cheap hobby but I've been thinking about this for at least a year. I don't have many caveats But I would like to have the ability to shoot in 4k and downsample to 1080. And image stabilization. Any advice and recommendation are greatly appreciated.

You need a budget. Hard to help if we don't know how much you're willing to spend.

Lender

Went to the Canon Expo in Paris yesterday, and saw some pretty cool stuff. Photography wise I found this to be the most interesting:

12079419_937496362965419_7084056977712393080_n.jpg

Prototype for the 600mm F4.0 DO.

Also saw the 120MP dslr in action. It was sporting the APS-H sensor and was only able to shoot at 100 ISO at this moment, but the amount of detail the images produce was amazing. I'll post a picture of it soon, it's on my phone but I don't have it with me. The images were +200mb also.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Compared to Nikon and Canon that have decades of building its lens ecosystem?

FE have tons of great lenses. Sony just doesnt give a fuck for people who wants budget FE lenses though.

then why does m4/3rds have so many good options?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
You need a budget. Hard to help if we don't know how much you're willing to spend.
1000$ on base. (Of course lower the better)

I know lenses will increase the cost more and I am anticipatingallocating for that. But do not currently have a quote on how much I am willing to spend on extra lenses.

Herbs

Banned
yes, i have that much saved. but to be honest i would be happier at the 500~700 range.

hmmm, not sure really. I don't have good info on cameras in that range with 4K. I always recommend to buy once. May be worth saving more for a good body. I shoot stills mostly. I bet someone here can point you in the right direction.

Ty4on

yes, i have that much saved. but to be honest i would be happier at the 500~700 range.

If 4k and video is number one priority I'd take a good look at the Panasonic G7.

You'll have to make comprimises though. The G7 lacks image stabilization (needs a lens with OIS), MFT means it isn't as good as its APS-C competition in image quality or low light (though far from bad) and it's a new camera so prices haven't come down yet. 4k is quite a recent feature in system cameras so you won't find older models with it. If you can live without it there are tons of older cameras that miss a couple of new features, but are much cheaper. As an example the D5500's predecessor which lacks the touchscreen, flat picture profile and new, lighter body (but adds a GPS) is 150$ cheaper. Everything else is basically the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom