• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

Anyone use the lowepro sling? I want to get a bag that's more secure when I do hiking stuff. I currently have the over the shoulder messenger bag type that bounces around a bit.

Looking at some of the pictures in here I need to get that 50mm.

Laekon

I recently bought a LowePro Fastpack 250 as a hiking/camera bag. Its similar to the sling but is a regular dual shoulder strap bag. I think a regular back pack is the way to go for hiking as it is more comfortable after a few hours. I bought the 250 model so that I could use the laptop pocket for a water-bladder and it has worked out good so far. I can get to my dslr pretty fast by swinging it off 1 shoulder and unzipping the side access pocket. I feel more secure about my camera lenses in this bag than I did with a real hiking bag. The only downside is that the back has no ventilation vs my regular hiking bag.

Oh its also a great travel bag if you are checking your luggage. I carried my camera, 3 lenses, a laptop, ipod, snacks, and other random crap on my last flight with it. The look of it doesn't scream "I'm a camera bag".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I have the fastpack too - you get the stablity of a dual strap backpack, but can still spin it around for quick realease (you just slip one arm out of one strap)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ana said:
New Sigma 50-500mm OS test:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/sigma_50-500_os_hsm_vs_canon_100-400.htm

Looks pretty good for a 10x zoom lens..

But I think the stabilization test was a little too optimistic.

why do they go so wide? If someone would just make a nice 100-500, or even a 200-500 with great optics and OS. 50-500 is too much spread. They don't need to appeal to people wanting a walkaround zoom, nobody will pay that money or lug around such a heavy lens. So its for specific tasks. That audience will I expect trade 50mm on the wide end for better optics/weight/OS/price

zhenming

mrklaw said:
why do they go so wide? If someone would just make a nice 100-500, or even a 200-500 with great optics and OS. 50-500 is too much spread. They don't need to appeal to people wanting a walkaround zoom, nobody will pay that money or lug around such a heavy lens. So its for specific tasks. That audience will I expect trade 50mm on the wide end for better optics/weight/OS/price
exactly my thoughts.

IJoel

Any recommendations for books on using DSLRs? After much consideration i decided for the T2i and got it a few days ago, as it seemed to include a nice feature package for the beginner.

SaitoH

So after much debate I decided to replace my stock lens with an ultra wide and picked up this:

14aykk9.jpg

I know the Tokina 11-16 2.8 is considered the "best", but budget constraints, bigger zoom range and a good deal falling into my lap, sold me on the 12-24.

Can't wait to give it a work out!

BlueTsunami said:
I don't have any experience with Flash but this link may be of use to you...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=30

It seems like the flash that fits your budget requirement is the Canon Speedlite 380EX. Its probably not as big and powerful as the 430II and 580II but its about 1/3rd cheaper than the 580II and half the amount of the 430II. Its definitely way more powerful than the on body flash and you can actually tilt the head to bounce light (to create an ambient light look). I believe you need to be in a medium sized room (at the max) to bounce flash effectively though.

rvd2kewl said:
I have the Canon Speedlite 270EX for my T1i and I'm happy with it. It's $149 at Amazon, but I got mine back in December from them for $129 so the price probably changes often, like most camera stuff at Amazon.

Thanks guys! Think I may go with the first, but will read up on both more thoroughly.

Zyzyxxz

SaitoH said:
So after much debate I decided to replace my stock lens with an ultra wide and picked up this:

14aykk9.jpg

I know the Tokina 11-16 2.8 is considered the "best", but budget constraints, bigger zoom range and a good deal falling into my lap, sold me on the 12-24.

Can't wait to give it a work out!

I got one too since I found a nice deal on a used one. I was considering the 11-16 but didn't feel like waiting to save.

So far its challenging to use it to its full potential but it does help for taking shots in tight places.

rass

mrklaw said:
doesn't sigma make a 150-500?
I'd get a 150-500 or a 200-500 (If I had the cash), no need for 50mm on a lens as big as a car

I am thinking about getting a new camera. I really am not a photo enthusiast, so I probably only need a point and shoot. I have been looking at the Canon SD780. Can anyone give me a mini review on it? I have an old Canon A80 from 2004 and finally think it is time to upgrade.

Alucrid

Banned
What type of lens is good for nature / landscapes? I'm going out to Tahoe later this year and I think that's the perfect time to test out the capabilities of my camera. Suggestions?

Alucrid said:
What type of lens is good for nature / landscapes? I'm going out to Tahoe later this year and I think that's the perfect time to test out the capabilities of my camera. Suggestions?

You're generally going to want a wide-angle lens with a short focal length for landscapes. Nature photography can vary. If it's birds or or creatures far away you're going to want a telephoto lens with fast autofocus.

IJoel said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be on the lookout for an earlier version (the new one costs more than $100).

One book I recently picked up is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I think it does a good job of explaining the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Alucrid said:
I would go with a standard zoom. I love my 12-60, it goes from 12mm wide to short telephoto range. I end up shooting a lot of landscape around 18-35.(36-70mm on full frame)
Wide angle isnt always the best for landscapes. Wide angle is going to make it look like you're further away from what your looking at than you actually are.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Alucrid said:

I definitely agree with captive as far as using a Zoom. If you're set on using a Prime though (which I do mostly), I would use a 28, 35 or 50mm for a Crop camera or a 50mm for Full Frame.

MultiCore

Big Papa Husker said:
I am thinking about getting a new camera. I really am not a photo enthusiast, so I probably only need a point and shoot. I have been looking at the Canon SD780. Can anyone give me a mini review on it? I have an old Canon A80 from 2004 and finally think it is time to upgrade.
I just bought the SD780 IS for the wife to compliment our 450d.

If you can, find the 770 instead(Unless you want the HD video). Otherwise, the 780 shoots good HD video, and the pictures are a little fuzzy, but it's darn small, and fairly responsive.

rass

reggieandTFE said:
You're generally going to want a wide-angle lens with a short focal length for landscapes. Nature photography can vary. If it's birds or or creatures far away you're going to want a telephoto lens with fast autofocus.
not necessarily true.
I bought a 16-35 (to go on full frame) for a recent trip, have just sold it (for the same price I bought it lol). i used 24-105 much more, wished I had longer, especially for landscapes. YMMV, I prefer details/compressed landscape type shots to vistas.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Big Papa Husker said:
Ok, I was going to order the SD780, but Amazon just sold out. I saw that the SD940 was the newer version of it. Does anyone have one? What do you think?
i have the SD780 and have mixed feelings about it. it's very compact and has solid construction, but images can have some color bleeding and over saturation in fluorescent lighting. image quality otherwise is pretty decent.

So I just went to Best Buy to see the SD780. Unfortunately, they didn't carry it anymore but carry the upgrade, the SD1400. Anyway, after looking at it and its features I feel it would be a downgrade from my A80. After trying to narrow down comparable camera, I have came up with 3: The Panasonic ZS7, Sony HX5 and Canon SX210.

Does anyone have one of these? Any comments? I am looking for one with good video quality so I am leaning more towards the ZS7 and HX5 since they use the AVCHD codec. I guess the only bad thing I have been seeing about the ZS7 is that if you try to film anything bright, it can cause vertical streams like older camcorders. For anyone that has either of these cameras, does this happen constantly or is it rare?

EDIT: I was looking at test videos (downloaded originals from Vimeo) from reviews on www.cameralabs.com and the videos by both the Canon and Panasonic look choppy compared to the really smooth look by the Sony. Is it just because the Sony is 1080i or could it be some weird setting on the Panasonic and Canon?

Fireye

Just got a used Sigma 24mm f1.8 Macro, the guy shipped it to me poorly packed, and there's a heavy thud when I move the lens around. It doesn't seem to affect the focusing, and the optics seem ok, so I don't know if that's just the heavy focus mechanism sliding around or something.

asa

So what's the camera to get, if I want to get into HD video. I'm thinking either Canon 7d or MkII, are there any rumors of new models coming? Is Nikon coming up with model with equal or better video features?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
asa said:
So what's the camera to get, if I want to get into HD video. I'm thinking either Canon 7d or MkII, are there any rumors of new models coming? Is Nikon coming up with model with equal or better video features?
panasonic GH1.

VNZ

I have to throw in a recommendation for the photography blog Petavoxel, that updated today with another informative technical article about the compromises involved regarding large apertures vis-à-vis zoom lens design. There's a lot of critical content on that site about the bullshit of zooms and high density sensors that mean nothing in the pursuit of great image quality.

Fox1304

asa said:

You've got the Canon 550D too, that offers the same specs as the 7D, but for much cheaper.
I've just received mine, and I must say that it offers a tremendous video quality.

Ok... so about a month ago, I purchased a refurbished Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS from Adorama. I got it out of the box, and it reeked like it was sprayed by a skunk.

I contacted Adorama about it, and they told me that "an animal must have been in contact with it after it left our warehouse", which was obviously bull. The box didn't stink, just the lens did. Anyway, they took it back and exchanged it for another copy of the lens.

Yesterday, I get the new lens... open it up and... same smell! Could it perhaps be the rubber on the lens? I hadn't purchased a refurb Canon lens before this one, but I got my 50mm brand new and it didn't have any odor. Do some of them just stink?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wario64 said:
Do people really use kneepads? That seems a bit extreme :lol

Some sports shooters and nature photogs use them since they're constantly kneeling or completely on their knees. Though I wouldn't rock the look, even with the added comfort :lol

Hey cameraphiles, I need your opinion I have owned a SLR for the last 10 years and I have decided to give it up. They stop making my fav. Black and White film and processing and printing are expensive. I am thinking of getting a nice micro 4/3 camera since i'm tired of the weight and size of SLR.

So anyone of yous guys own a Olympus E-P1/2 or a Panasonic GF1, i like the form factor and feel less obtrusive in public.

slider

I was at a nature reserve lodge type place recently and... daaaammmn, shooting wildlife is awfully troublesome.

For one I had low light conditions. For two my maximum shutter speed (Sony a380) didn't seem nowhere near fast enough*. Finally I don't have the patience for it. : (

*I've now figured out you have to time it right; these hummingbirds came to their feeders and you have to snap just as they withdraw.

I can post a few pics if anyone's interested in a festival of failure...

EDIT: I'm sure part of the problem is my crappy lense that came bundled with my camera. Haven't purchased a new one simply because I haven't had time. I was thinking of something along the lines of one of these:
Sony 75-300mm
Sigma 18-250mm
Sigma 70-300mm
Just for general purpose use. Any opinions?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
slider said:
I was at a nature reserve lodge type place recently and... daaaammmn, shooting wildlife is awfully troublesome.

For one I had low light conditions. For two my maximum shutter speed (Sony a380) didn't seem nowhere near fast enough*. Finally I don't have the patience for it. : (

*I've now figured out you have to time it right; these hummingbirds came to their feeders and you have to snap just as they withdraw.

I can post a few pics if anyone's interested in a festival of failure...
If you're in low light, set up multiple flashes, kill the ambient, and freeze the hummingbirds with the flash. Hard to do, but the results can look really good.

slider

Rentahamster said:
If you're in low light, set up multiple flashes, kill the ambient, and freeze the hummingbirds with the flash. Hard to do, but the results can look really good.

Ahh, interesting. Thanks man. Flash techniques were due to be my next area of experimentation!

rass

Instigator said:
Canon defense force assemble!
images

haha love it. I used to have an e500 which was rad, always saw pictures like those on the olympus forums.

I just bought a battery grip for a camera I don't have yet... the transition from Canon to Nikon officially begins.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
slider said:
Ahh, interesting. Thanks man. Flash techniques were due to be my next area of experimentation!
If you can help it, try to keep the majority of the flash off the axis of the lens (i.e. pointing at the birds from any other direction than straight on). Off-camera flash usually looks better that way.

Ember128

Fanboyism for Camera's is largely pretty stupid/funny. :lol

You can nitpick over purple fringing between lens A and lens B and test with several different pieces of equipment and filters in different lighting conditions, or selectively point out features that one Camera has over some other ones, but that isn't really what photography is about. There are some very famous pictures that had very shitty conditions for taking them that ended up being pictures that anyone in this thread should know of.

I always thought photography was about Composition/Quality, communicating what the Photographer meant to portray through to the end product, instead of bickering.

slider

Thanks guys. I hadn't really realised how complicated photography can be! Sometimes I find myself longing for my point and click... but I'm determined to get better.

What I think would be really good for me is going out with someone else and snapping pics. A friend of mine with some fancy Canon has promised to take me out and we can compare notes. Looking forward to it.

rass

Ember128 said:
I always thought photography was about Composition/Quality, communicating what the Photographer meant to portray through to the end product, instead of bickering.

haha, you've clearly never been on the dpreview forums :lol
It actually sucks the joy out of it for me

Bear-tie

Neo Member
Just picked up a Canon T2i and am really impressed with the image quality so far. I've only had it for about an hour so the pictures aren't very interesting, lol. They were all taken with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm hoping to pick up a 1.4 50mm later this month.

4584806781_f84bd0f049_b.jpg

4584814311_4a2f7bf2c5_b.jpg

4585436822_e212c26188_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom