• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ana

Instigator said:
Canon defense force assemble!

images[/spoiler]

Olympus E-3 (even though its couple years old) is quite a good camera. I wish I had similar weather/dust sealing in my Canon.. Especially if you use Olympus Pro lenses..

They should have a new pro camera coming this year.. E-5 perhaps. It will be interesting to see how they have managed to improve ISO-performance in 4/3-sensor.

Anyway I updated my lenses.. Again.. :(
4586662514_ea58350a01.jpg

Current Gear list:

Canon 50D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM NEW (old one was Canon 85 1.8)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM NEW (old one was Canon 17-55 IS)
Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
Extender EF 1.4x II
Hoya NDx4 77mm HMC 1 , Hoya NDx8 77mm HMC 1, Kenko Cir-Pol 77mm DMC Pro1 Digital, Canon RS-80 N3 + cleaning supplies, tripod and monopod

Lowepro Toploader 75 AW
Lowepro Lens Case 4S
Lowepro SlipLock Pouch 60 AW

Technosteve said:
Hey cameraphiles, I need your opinion I have owned a SLR for the last 10 years and I have decided to give it up. They stop making my fav. Black and White film and processing and printing are expensive. I am thinking of getting a nice micro 4/3 camera since i'm tired of the weight and size of SLR.

So anyone of yous guys own a Olympus E-P1/2 or a Panasonic GF1, i like the form factor and feel less obtrusive in public.

I came to micro 4/3 from a different point and shoots so my perspective is a bit different, but I'm absolutely loving my e-pl1. It fits in my work bag (with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7) so I always have it with me and I've picked up a couple of incredibly cheap old OM lenses on ebay which work great with the IBIS.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Forsete said:
Same here. That place is the GameFaqs of the camera world.
i dont think its that bad, as long as you avoid certain threads. I mostly post and read in the picture threads where people actually, you know, show what they've done with their gear.

But basically those fake olympus ads were created because theres always canikon fanboys coming into the olympus SLR forum and shitting the place up. If you believed some of them olympus DSLRs wouldn't be able to do anything but take very limited snapshots.

reggieandTFE said:
I came to micro 4/3 from a different point and shoots so my perspective is a bit different, but I'm absolutely loving my e-pl1. It fits in my work bag (with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7) so I always have it with me and I've picked up a couple of incredibly cheap old OM lenses on ebay which work great with the IBIS.

E-PL1 may be too simple to operate and too geared for the P&S market. E-P1, E-P2 and the GF1 are probably more up his alley.

Instigator said:
E-PL1 may be too simple to operate and too geared for the P&S market. E-P1, E-P2 and the GF1 are probably more up his alley.
The e-pl1 doesn't have control dials but it also has the best ISO performance and image quality of all the micro 4/3 cameras (excluding the GH1 but it doesn't sound like he's looking for a DSLR shaped body anyways.)

reggieandTFE said:
The e-pl1 doesn't have control dials but it also has the best ISO performance and image quality of all the micro 4/3 cameras (excluding the GH1 but it doesn't sound like he's looking for a DSLR shaped body anyways.)

I doubt a seasoned SLR user will make due with a puny LCD screen. Not that the other cameras are that much better in LCD size and resolution, but the GF1 and particularly the E-P2 should get serious consideration for the EVF alone.

ChryZ

Instigator said:
I'd also suggest to read up on E-P1, E-P2 and the GF1. They all got their strengths and weaknesses. There's no clear winner, but good options depending on what you want from a cam. If possible, go to a store and ask for each model and play around with them. The handling and first impression made me go for the GF1. I love it so much.

golem

iam.rass said:
haha, you've clearly never been on the dpreview forums :lol
It actually sucks the joy out of it for me
Seriously that place is a cesspool sometimes.. glad I have POTN to browse

rass

I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks the dpreview forums are a horror. I still visit there but I do not post.

4590780356_9902a1207d_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mind_blown/4590780356/ (as per flickr guidelines)

got my d700 and grip, and a 50 1.8 yesterday. sb900 gets ordered tomorrow, should have it by wednesday, hoping to have the 24-70 2.8 by the weekend.
first impressions: d700 has 3 million options and it'll take me a little while to sort it out how I like. I used some sample setups I found on the net for now and am having some success, haven't got shots across to the mac yet, we'll see how that goes.

I also have an old nikkor Q 200 f/4 and a tamron adaptall 35-80 f/2.8-3.8 macro that both mount and work well

-- switching from Canon to Nikon is nowhere near as painful as I had imagined (When I switched from Olympus to Canon years ago it was like starting again and throwing more money in a hole, this time I've hardly spent anything except the money from selling my old gear)

Hey camera GAF. A friend of mine is looking to get a DSLR. She is interested in something low cost like a XS or XSI. Is anyone selling a old camera and/or potentially some lenses? Please PM me if so.

eso76

ana said:
Canon 50D
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM NEW (old one was Canon 17-55 IS)

yay, same as me
superb lens

But i keep reading 550D specs and wondering if i should 'downgrade' to that instead...

Then again, the only thing i'm not really happy with on 50D is dynamic range, but that goes for every digital camera, although i think full frames are slightly better.
Speaking of which, do you guys know if manufacturers are working on improving this, or if it can actually be improved ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
iam.rass said:
got my d700 and grip, and a 50 1.8 yesterday. sb900 gets ordered tomorrow, should have it by wednesday, hoping to have the 24-70 2.8 by the weekend.
Welcome to the club, the D700 is by far the best camera for your dollar that I've used yet.

ana

eso76 said:
yay, same as me
superb lens

But i keep reading 550D specs and wondering if i should 'downgrade' to that instead...

Then again, the only thing i'm not really happy with on 50D is dynamic range, but that goes for every digital camera, although i think full frames are slightly better.
Speaking of which, do you guys know if manufacturers are working on improving this, or if it can actually be improved ?

I'm personally waiting for 60D.. 7D is a bit too expensive so I'm not getting that and when the new 60D comes it's sensor should a be little bit better or at least similar than the one in 7D..

If some rumors are true then it should have better autofocus than previous xxD-series and of course HD-video..

xxxD-series are just too small for my hands..

VNZ

Speaking about upgrading, I think I've made the decision to go for 5D with my next camera. It hurts a bit to leave the EF-S lenses behind in the 500D ghetto, but whattahell... :)

Any informed rumours when 5DmkIII might arrive?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
VNZ said:
Any informed rumours when 5DmkIII might arrive?

Wow, time flies. I'm here wondering why people are expectant of the MKIII and then realize its been almost two years since the MKII's release.

VNZ

BlueTsunami said:
Wow, time flies. I'm here wondering why people are expectant of the MKIII and then realize its been almost two years since the MKII's release.
I found some guesses pointing at sometime in 2011, which is probably when I'm going for an upgrade. I'm mainly interested in the eventual price decline of the mkII at this point, but I'm sure some feature reveal of the mkIII will leave me with no choice...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey guys, my friend is looking into getting a Canon SD1400 and neither of us are sure what class of SD card it can handle. Would it be able to do those Class 6 ones used for video cameras? Would that really not be recommended for taking images?

Dice said:
Hey guys, my friend is looking into getting a Canon SD1400 and neither of us are sure what class of SD card it can handle. Would it be able to do those Class 6 ones used for video cameras? Would that really not be recommended for taking images?
I think a class 4 would be perfectly fine. The only reason you would need a class 6 is for recording 1080i video and/or pictures with a burst mode.

Dice

So I want to get a new digicam for P&S stuff. I'm thinking max $150 but I'd rather be hitting around $100. From the cameras I used at Best Buy my favorite was the Olympus Fe 4030, but from what I see online it is on the lower end in terms of image quality. Now I'm torn between fun use and image quality, which becomes tricky because I'm saving being serious about image quality for SLR (I currently use film for that), which is just a different purpose. However, when there is still noise at the lowest ISO, that's just kind of irritating. Canon makes nice P&S cameras performance-wise but their menus and adjustment methods suck.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The EP2 is now 899 on amazon with the 14-42 and VF-2 view finder.

Ordered one with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7

rass

Rentahamster said:
Welcome to the club, the D700 is by far the best camera for your dollar that I've used yet.
Alright, I've had a bit of time with it now and I have to say - I love this camera.
with a grip it is exactly the right size for me (monster hands). The only thing I'm having trouble with is the lack of huge accessible jog wheel on the back. I'm getting used to it though.

my sb900 should be here tomorrow and I'll hopefully get the 24-70G tomorrow as well :)

I'm surprised by how much easier manual focus is with this than it was on my 5dII, which is good, because I have a few manual focus lenses.

Sony NEX 3 & 5 announcing at 12:45am Eastern, reviews/previews already leaking. Here is one. Another site called Digital Photography School took theirs down, but I still have the page open. I can't wait to see what the GF2 looks like, because I think I still want that as an upgrade from my Panny ZS3. In the Digital Photography School review, images look good up to iso 1600.

Sony-NX-3-2.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jayayess1190 said:
Sony NEX 3 & 5 announcing at 12:45am Eastern, reviews/previews already leaking. Here is one. Another site called Digital Photography School took theirs down, but I still have the page open. I can't wait to see what the GF2 looks like, because I think I still want that as an upgrade from my Panny ZS3. In the Digital Photography School review, images look good up to iso 1600.

Sony-NX-3-2.jpg

Beautiful barrel on that lens, Jesus. Can't wait to see what Zeiss produces for this :D

luoapp

Jayayess1190 said:

No internal flash? not sure about that.

Dice

Meh, I can never buy crap just to save money, I just ordered a Nikon S640 (for $190, which I think is good)

Scrow said:
can anyone suggest a good quality, cost effective, waterproof camera?
Pentax Optio W80

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
iam.rass said:
Alright, I've had a bit of time with it now and I have to say - I love this camera.
with a grip it is exactly the right size for me (monster hands). The only thing I'm having trouble with is the lack of huge accessible jog wheel on the back. I'm getting used to it though.

my sb900 should be here tomorrow and I'll hopefully get the 24-70G tomorrow as well :)

I'm surprised by how much easier manual focus is with this than it was on my 5dII, which is good, because I have a few manual focus lenses.
Wait, what? You went from a 5D Mark II to a D700? Why even bother, the 5DII is a great camera? I thought you were upgrading from a 50D or something.

Anyway, I like the SB900 for its power and quick recycle time. Be careful of it overheating though. I burned mine out one time because I was blasting it on full power too many times consecutively.

24-70 2.8 is money, love that lens. So versatile and handy. Big, though.

rass

Rentahamster said:
Wait, what? You went from a 5D Mark II to a D700? Why even bother, the 5DII is a great camera? I thought you were upgrading from a 50D or something.

Anyway, I like the SB900 for its power and quick recycle time. Be careful of it overheating though. I burned mine out one time because I was blasting it on full power too many times consecutively.

24-70 2.8 is money, love that lens. So versatile and handy. Big, though.
5d mark II is an amazing camera, so is the d700
I upgraded from a 30d

I'm more interested in speed (both autofocus and fps) and build quality at the moment, and I can share gear with a mate who shoots Nikon (most of my friends who shoot are on Canon 350d/1000d and kit lenses :()

I'm not regretting it in the least so far, when I eventually have the cash I'll have both systems, for now the advantages of the Nikon suit me better.

Not too concerned about burning out the flash, I never fire on full power, rarely above 1/4, with the 580exII's I have/had

slider

slider said:
EDIT: I'm sure part of the problem is my crappy lense that came bundled with my camera. Haven't purchased a new one simply because I haven't had time. I was thinking of something along the lines of one of these:
Sony 75-300mm
Sigma 18-250mm
Sigma 70-300mm
Just for general purpose use. Any opinions?

I'll quote for the new page. Hopefully someone'll have a view. (Pun intended.)

Even if they shoot (pun, again, intended) me down and slap me around a bit.

luoapp

slider said:
I'll quote for the new page. Hopefully someone'll have a view. (Pun intended.)

Even if they shoot (pun, again, intended) me down and slap me around a bit.

I have this: Tamron 18-250mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N8F680/

I was looking for a walk-around/travel lens with a longer zoom than the kit lens' 70mm, but I also didn't want to lose the wide angle. I compared the IQ between the sigma and tamron. Basically the same, so, I got the cheaper one. At this price range, you can't expect too much for the IQ ( not saying those lenses have bad IQ), but you will definitely appreciate the wide angle and the convenience of (super) zoom - no need to change lens, especially in some hazardous environments ( rain, snow, on a boat, etc.). And I sold the kit lens afterward, which helped a little:D .

ps: I've heard the sony 18250 is the oem of sigma 18250, and the sony one seems cheaper on amazon.co.uk.

Zyzyxxz

Jayayess1190 said:

Sony-NX-3-2.jpg

How can it be so thin and yet pack more power than a E-P2 or GF1?

Dice

Oh man, we are so close. I do film SLR but I'll jump into DSLR when those compacts are up to my standards for $700. In about 3 years they'll do anything I could possibly want then to do and everything should be golden.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
iam.rass said:
I'm more interested in speed (both autofocus and fps) and build quality at the moment
Oh, yeah, in that case the D700 is much better. I haven't had much time with the 5DII, but the autofocus seemed similar to the 5DI, which is not nearly as good as the D700 autofocus.

Zyzyxxz said:
How can it be so thin and yet pack more power than a E-P2 or GF1?
I have no idea. I just really hope the GF2 is thin like that. I can't wait to see some youtube video's/reviews with people holding the NEX's, want badly to see how huge the lenses are in relation to the camera.

rass

Rentahamster said:
Oh, yeah, in that case the D700 is much better. I haven't had much time with the 5DII, but the autofocus seemed similar to the 5DI, which is not nearly as good as the D700 autofocus.
it's literally the same autofocus
awesome in the studio, not so awesome for things that are moving quickly/aren't in the middle of the frame

I hand over the 5dII to it's new owner in about 4 hours, I'm actually a little sad haha :(

^^^I'd love a micro four thirds cam for the rare occasion that a huge camera is inappropriate, can't afford it for a fair while though.

slider

luoapp said:
I have this: Tamron 18-250mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N8F680/

I was looking for a walk-around/travel lens with a longer zoom than the kit lens' 70mm, but I also didn't want to lose the wide angle. I compared the IQ between the sigma and tamron. Basically the same, so, I got the cheaper one. At this price range, you can't expect too much for the IQ ( not saying those lenses have bad IQ), but you will definitely appreciate the wide angle and the convenience of (super) zoom - no need to change lens, especially in some hazardous environments ( rain, snow, on a boat, etc.). And I sold the kit lens afterward, which helped a little:D .

ps: I've heard the sony 18250 is the oem of sigma 18250, and the sony one seems cheaper on amazon.co.uk.

Thanks man; the bolded is what I'm looking for too. Just gotto weigh up the f-#s and make a decision. That Tamron seems pretty good though. I'll be honest - I'd never heard of Tamron until I read your post! :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom