• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had a slight hope that this mirrorless body craze could bring about some brand interchangeability given the panasonic/olympus cooperation, but i guess it's just going to be every brand for themselves with a bunch of proprietary lens systems. i mean it was wishful thinking, but whatever

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
bggrthnjsus said:
i had a slight hope that this mirrorless body craze could bring about some brand interchangeability given the panasonic/olympus cooperation, but i guess it's just going to be every brand for themselves with a bunch of proprietary lens systems. i mean it was wishful thinking, but whatever

It can be done but I don't think we'll ever see it widespread with full electronic abilities intact (like Auto Focus and Aperture control). You can pretty much mount almost any manual focus lens to the 4/3rds m4/3rds bodies with the correct adapter.

yeah i figure i can settle for adapters.

i've had my finger like hovering over the mouse to buy a gf-1 for like months now, all this new stuff is just making me confused

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
BlueTsunami said:
It can be done but I don't think we'll ever see it widespread with full electronic abilities intact (like Auto Focus and Aperture control). You can pretty much mount almost any manual focus lens to the 4/3rds m4/3rds bodies with the correct adapter.
it can be but they dont want to do it.

I cant believe Sony's own Alpha lenses wont have AF on the NEX cameras. Unless that's not true?

Forsete

Sonystyle mentioned AF with Alpha lenses if the lenses used SAM/SSM motors, but that mention is now gone from the website.

Firmware thing, added with the 3D firmware of next month? Or perhaps power issue? SSM on big lenses like the 70-400 or 24-70 can drain battery, even on the A900s huge power.
So right now only EXIF, metering and aperture control.

In other news, a enthusiast model is already being planned, according to EOS HD which has a source which previously nailed the NEX3-5 specs.
NEX7 as the camera will be called, will be a bigger camera, have IS built into the body (if the source is right on this one, we know the reason for no body IS in NEX3-5. Bigger body allows for built in IS. Video will still take advantage of the silent OIS of the E-mount lenses).
This camera will be released during Q4 2010 to compete with Panasonic GH2.

he NEX 7 addresses the missing enthusiast features from the NEX 5.

Full manual control
1080p@60
1080p@24
720p@120fps and 60p
Revised sensor design

Ergonomically, the NEX 7 is quite different to the 3 and 5. According to my source it has the overall appearance of a mirrorless A550, much smaller with an e-mount and yes - EVF! As to be expected really. Same AF system as NEX 5, that is to say - contrast detection based.

Sony also have new E-mount lenses in development but my source would not be drawn on what they are. There is however some 'very good reasons' for the silent OIS and AF in the new e-mount lenses - the primary one is video. Iris control is also provided by a silent stepper motor in the E-mount lens series, just as with the Panasonic HD optimised 14-140mm for the GH1.

http://eoshd.com/content.php?183-Sony-NEX7-to-rival-GH2-in-September

Edit: There is AF available for certain lenses.

70-200mm f2.8 SSM

300mm f2.8 SSM

30mm 2.8 SAM

50 mm 1.8 SAM

So AF support is there, only not universal.. for now.
Edit2: It seems AF can work with the listed lenses, but it has been disabled in the pre-production models of the cameras.

ChryZ

captive said:
I cant believe Sony's own Alpha lenses wont have AF on the NEX cameras. Unless that's not true?
It was mentioned in several previews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM said:
An adapter is available for mounting Alpha lenses, but autofocus will be disabled with the NEX cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1005/10051102sonynex.asp said:
An optional LA-EA1 mount adaptor extends compatibility to the α family of 30 lenses and teleconverters, plus a huge range of other legacy A-mount lenses (Manual Focus only).
I, for one, really enjoy MF. The more important questions are: How will the cam aid manual focus? Do you really want to use those big and heavy alpha lenses on such a tiny body that lacks IBIS?

captive

ChryZ said:
It was mentioned in several previews:

I, for one, really enjoy MF. The more important questions are: How will the cam aid manual focus? Do you really want to use those big and heavy alpha lenses on such a tiny body that lacks IBIS?
I wasn't sure if it was true or not, you cant believe half the BS thats going around right now.

I like MF too but AF is great for a lot of things. I wouldn't have bought the EP2 if it couldn't AF my fantastic 4/3rds lenses.

BlueTsunami

ChryZ said:

The articulating screen should be real nice for MF'ing but I really hope they come out with a nice EVF down the line.

Taken from the Q2 thread, but I figured my question would be more appropriate here...

chaostrophy said:
Macro lenses can be used to shoot at any distance, the only catch is that if you use manual focus, you'll have to make tiny adjustments at longer range because most of the focus ring's rotational range is concentrated toward the close range end.

Macro lenses are never cheaper than equivalent non-macro lenses though. Not sure what system you use, but Canon's longest macro is 180mm f/3.5L and costs $1300, while the non-macro 200mm 2.8L is $750 (while being faster and longer).

I wasn't aware of this. I've been contemplating picking up the Canon 100mm f/2, but would I be better off getting the 100mm f/2.8 macro? Would I be sacrificing a full stop but get the ability to do macro (in addition to using it as a normal 100mm lens) in return?

BlueTsunami

JLateralus said:
I wasn't aware of this. I've been contemplating picking up the Canon 100mm f/2, but would I be better off getting the 100mm f/2.8 macro? Would I be sacrificing a full stop but get the ability to do macro (in addition to using it as a normal 100mm lens) in return?

You get Lens Stabilization with the 100 Macro too. It comes down to a trade off, do you want that extra stop of light (in both light gathering and thinner depth of field at a farther subject distance) or do you want that 1:1 ability plus the stabilization? A non macro lens could use a Close Up filter, extension tubes or bellows to get closer but its still not as versatile as the Macro lens. It all depends on where your priorities lie.

For instance, I would get the faster lens cause I tend to shoot wide open constantly and only feel the need to only go 1:2 lifesize instead of fully 1:1. I would like a macro lens but I wouldn't mind buying an old slow manual focus ones for like $100 that I would use once in a while (just toss it in a bag and have it with me constantly). With that said, the 100 Macro is a nice "All in one" lens and would be perfect for those who would like to minimize their gear.

BlueTsunami said:
You get Lens Stabilization with the 100 Macro too. It comes down to a trade off, do you want that extra stop of light (in both light gathering and thinner depth of field at a farther subject distance) or do you want that 1:1 ability plus the stabilization? A non macro lens could use a Close Up filter, extension tubes or bellows to get closer but its still not as versatile as the Macro lens. It all depends on where your priorities lie.

I have a close up filter now, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to focus with at times. I mainly want it to shoot in low light (which obviously would be nice to have the extra f stop for), so I think I'll probably end up with the non macro lens. It would be nice to have IS though... Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, thanks for the info!

captive

I have an EP2 and an EPL1 within arms reach and im stuck at work and its overcast and rainy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow that Sony NEX looks pretty sweet. Guess I won't have to buy that M9 anymore, hahahaha...

(Not that I could afford one, anyway...)

BlueTsunami

Very excited about my next purchase (feel like a kid before Christmas a bit). Won't say what lens it is exactly (yet :D ) but its my first Zeiss and its supposed to be one of the best bangs for your bucks you can get.

Rentahamster said:
Wow that Sony NEX looks pretty sweet. Guess I won't have to buy that M9 anymore, hahahaha...

(Not that I could afford one, anyway...)

What, you don't have $10,000 to spend on a body and lens? :D Leica's modern Aspherical APO lenses are absolutely stunning though and no lie I would literally throw down $3,500 for their 50mm f/1.4 Summilux (it has an absolutely beautiful drawing style, glow and is tack sharp wide open).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BlueTsunami said:
What, you don't have $10,000 to spend on a body and lens? :D Leica's modern Aspherical APO lenses are absolutely stunning though and no lie I would literally throw down $3,500 for their 50mm f/1.4 Summilux (it has an absolutely beautiful drawing style, glow and is tack sharp wide open).
Hehehe, I think, though, that eventually I'll get one of their APO lenses for Nikon mount.

I really hate chromatic aberration in my bokeh.

ChryZ

BlueTsunami said:
You have no idea, I'm debating such a purchase with myself for a few weeks now. I'd rather spend serious money on glass than on a body at this point.

Just when I thought I was done buying lenses for a while...lately I've been lusting over the Voigtlander 40mm f/2 pancake. I want it because it seems like it would make my 5DII more portable- not pocketable obviously, but I could put the combo in a compartment in the regular backpack I carry around all the time instead of needing to use my dedicated camera bag. Anyone here ever used that lens?

BlueTsunami

chaostrophy said:
Just when I thought I was done buying lenses for a while...lately I've been lusting over the Voigtlander 40mm f/2 pancake. I want it because it seems like it would make my 5DII more portable- not pocketable obviously, but I could put the combo in a compartment in the regular backpack I carry around all the time instead of needing to use my dedicated camera bag. Anyone here ever used that lens?

I've never used it, only read about it but its supposed to be fantastic (it with the 20/3.5 Color Skopar are supposed to be a nice travel combo). You may already know this but Voigtlander is a brand name used by Cosina who also manufacture Zeiss lenses (and a saying I've heard recently is "Voigtlanders are Zeiss at half the price!" :lol :D).

ChryZ said:
You have no idea, I'm debating such a purchase with myself for a few weeks now. I'd rather spend serious money on glass than on a body at this point.

Same here. Still going strong with my Rebel XT.

rass

BlueTsunami said:
Very excited about my next purchase (feel like a kid before Christmas a bit). Won't say what lens it is exactly (yet :D ) but its my first Zeiss and its supposed to be one of the best bangs for your bucks you can get.

I was excited for my next lens purchase, a 24-70 nikkor. Then I got a tax bill last night for more than the lens is worth :( Looks like I'll be sticking with my 50 1.8 AF-d and some manual focus legacy glass for a while

bang for buck eh? the 50 1.4? A friend has it and I love it. I'm interested in the 35 but can't justify it any time soon

BlueTsunami

iam.rass said:
I was excited for my next lens purchase, a 24-70 nikkor. Then I got a tax bill last night for more than the lens is worth :( Looks like I'll be sticking with my 50 1.8 AF-d and some manual focus legacy glass for a while

bang for buck eh? the 50 1.4? A friend has it and I love it. I'm interested in the 35 but can't justify it any time soon

I am a 50mm shooter :D But its not that one! Its actually a part of the older Contax / Yashica line. Actually, I'm waffling a bit on the purchase, I'm wondering if I should save a bit more and get that exact lens but in the Contax mount (which is going for $330, about a little more than half than the modern ZE mount). I've become obsessed the past few days, looking at hundreds of samples between the two.

And the 35/2 is supposed to extremely good (flat field of focus, low CA, low distortion, sharp from wide open, contrasty, high micro contrast and supposedly has a floating element for close focusing). I'm personally interested in the 28/2 and the 50/2 Makro Planar.

cbox

Hey Guys, is now a good time to buy the canon L series 24-70? I've wanted this lens for 2 years now and i'm about ready to bite into the high end lens category. I currently have a 7d and cripple it with my old XTI kit lens and a 50mm 1.8...

Stalfos

eternal prize said:
I guess in that price range, 200 bucks doesn't really make a difference. I was thinking more along the lines of, is there a newer version coming out soon?
I think I've read that there are rumors that an IS version might be coming, but it would likely cost several hundred more.

Fox1304

Hey guys.
I'm about to go on holidays, and I'll need a new lense.
I'm pretty decided to buy a 70-300 range, but that's about it :D

Are the Tamron decent for their price (of course, i'm conscient that they won't offer some stellar performances, but for the price they could be very interesting), is image stabilisation necessary for that kind of lense?

And of course ... any advices ? ^^

luoapp

Fox1304 said:
Hey guys.
I'm about to go on holidays, and I'll need a new lense.
I'm pretty decided to buy a 70-300 range, but that's about it :D

Are the Tamron decent for their price (of course, i'm conscient that they won't offer some stellar performances, but for the price they could be very interesting), is image stabilisation necessary for that kind of lense?

And of course ... any advices ? ^^

My suggestions are: 1) if you want a travel lens, go get one with a wide angle.(18mm) 2) image stabilization doesn't matter too much, go higher iso if needed. BTW, which body do you have?

Quote myself from a previous post, that is a sony camera:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21211503&postcount=3292

I have this: Tamron 18-250mm
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IBLMHQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was looking for a walk-around/travel lens with a longer zoom than the kit lens' 70mm, but I also didn't want to lose the wide angle. I compared the IQ between the sigma and tamron. Basically the same, so, I got the cheaper one. At this price range, you can't expect too much for the IQ ( not saying those lenses have bad IQ), but you will definitely appreciate the wide angle and the convenience of (super) zoom - no need to change lens, especially in some hazardous environments ( rain, snow, on a boat, etc.). And I sold the kit lens afterward, which helped a little .

captive

Instigator said:
Why own two?
EPL1 was for my mom. She wanted a new camera for macros for her business and for when she and my dad go on vacation.
Easier for me to provide tech support if the camera is pretty much the same as what i use. :lol

Fox1304

luoapp said:
My suggestions are: 1) if you want a travel lens, go get one with a wide angle.(18mm) 2) image stabilization doesn't matter too much, go higher iso if needed. BTW, which body do you have?
I forgot to mention. I already have a 18-55IS, so I'm looking for a versatile second lens.
And the body is a Canon 550D/T2i.
As you said, i thought about skipping the stabilisation since the 550D behaves pretty well in high isos, but was hoping that anyone could confirme this :)

mrkgoo

Fox1304 said:
I forgot to mention. I already have a 18-55IS, so I'm looking for a versatile second lens.
And the body is a Canon 550D/T2i.
As you said, i thought about skipping the stabilisation since the 550D behaves pretty well in high isos, but was hoping that anyone could confirme this :)

Even if your camera has good iso performance, stabilisation is always welcome, as it means you can take even more extreme lowlight images. It always helps - but depends more on what you like to photograph.

rass

Stalfos said:
I think I've read that there are rumors that an IS version might be coming, but it would likely cost several hundred more.
going by the price jump on the 70-200 2.8 IS I wouldn't be surprised if it was 25% more expensive, if/when it does come.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
rass said:
going by the price jump on the 70-200 2.8 IS I wouldn't be surprised if it was 25% more expensive, if/when it does come.
In my time using the Canon 24-70, I have thought once in a while, "hey IS on this baby would be pretty sweet", but in reality, you don't need it on that lens. You can take awesome pics just fine without any IS.

Fox1304

mrkgoo said:
Even if your camera has good iso performance, stabilisation is always welcome, as it means you can take even more extreme lowlight images. It always helps - but depends more on what you like to photograph.

Yep, that seems like a sure bet. But the price ain't the same too :D
So would you say, welcome, or necessary ?

eternal prize said:
Hey Guys, is now a good time to buy the canon L series 24-70? I've wanted this lens for 2 years now and i'm about ready to bite into the high end lens category. I currently have a 7d and cripple it with my old XTI kit lens and a 50mm 1.8...
i'd prob get the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. 7d being a 1.6x crop your actual focal lengths are really more like 24-70 (actually more like 27-88mm). plus IS, and same aperture. and image quality is on par w/ L series lenses, but the build quality is a little below. it would probably have an L label on it if it wasn't an EF-S lens

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I'm late to the party - but I am excited to hear Panasonic's GH2 (to be released by the end of 2010, September maybe?) will have a global shutter!

Here's to seeing other companies following suit and adding that in their cameras

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Futureman said:
I need a CF card.

8GB probably. Fast (I do video).

Best place online to get one? Any deals out there?
I usually get mine from Amazon, unless someplace like adorama or B&H have a rebate special going on, which I don't recall any having at the moment.

Hi everyone, I've been eyeing the Canon 7D as my first "semi-pro" camera and DSLR. Would it be a good time to buy now? I'm not familiar with camera product refreshes despite browsing around on the net for one. Do you guys think a similar class Canon, or even Nikon, will be coming out soon? Should I just hold on?

Zyzyxxz

Anybody have a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8?

I'm liking the samples from what I've seen but just wondering if anybody has any hands on impressions on it.

PartlyCloudlike said:
Hi everyone, I've been eyeing the Canon 7D as my first "semi-pro" camera and DSLR. Would it be a good time to buy now? I'm not familiar with camera product refreshes despite browsing around on the net for one. Do you guys think a similar class Canon, or even Nikon, will be coming out soon? Should I just hold on?

The 7D is a fairly new model, and I've heard it's a very good one. A friend of mine who mainly shoots events and sports, and has built up a nice kit of EF-S lenses, got a 7D recently and loves it. It's got some cool features that even my 5DII doesn't have, like improved autofocus, switchable viewfinder grid, and electronic level. But given its price point and the fact that you don't have any lenses yet, you might want to think about spending a little bit more and going full frame from the get-go (like I did) or getting a cheaper body and spending the savings on some nice glass.

tomjr

Zyzyxxz said:
Anybody have a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8?

I used the tamron 28-75 on my 20d as my walkaround lens years ago, but not so much recently. I popped it on my 5d2 for a few shots. Wide open, I think it's decently sharp. As you would expect, it gets soft toward the edges and corners, but I've seen worse. I feel the color saturation could be better. The AF motor is a little noisy. AF might be a little slower compared to USM, but still good. This lens doesn't have FTM and the zoom ring moves in the opposite direction of canon lenses.

This lens is a great value, small, and lightweight. I think it's a great starter lens. Heck, if you aren't a pixelpeeper, this lens might even hold you over for a while.

Zyzyxxz

tomjr said:
I used the tamron 28-75 on my 20d as my walkaround lens years ago, but not so much recently. I popped it on my 5d2 for a few shots. Wide open, I think it's decently sharp. As you would expect, it gets soft toward the edges and corners, but I've seen worse. I feel the color saturation could be better. The AF motor is a little noisy. AF might be a little slower compared to USM, but still good. This lens doesn't have FTM and the zoom ring moves in the opposite direction of canon lenses.

This lens is a great value, small, and lightweight. I think it's a great starter lens. Heck, if you aren't a pixelpeeper, this lens might even hold you over for a while.

The one I'm looking at is the one without the internal focus motor, which seems good since I've read the built-in ones sucked.

I just decided to pick up the Panasonic ZS7 after a month of flip flopping between it and the Sony HX5V. The deal was sweetened since Amazon has the ZS7 for $309 compared to my local store that had it for $379, oh and the Sony hasn't been in stock for a month because of a parts shortage or something.

Does anyone have the ZS7? How do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom