• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new toy in the mail today...

35akx9k.jpg

Looking forward to trying it out!

Stalfos

Ariexv said:
I'm looking for a ~$200 decent portable camera. Any Suggestions?
My fiance recently got the Canon SD780, I haven't had a chance to play around with it and check out the image quality but its super portable, has good reviews on amazon, and is sub $200.

cbox

Guys what do you think about used lenses?

I decided to go for the 17-55 canon lens as the 24-70 just won't give me the wide angle i want on my 7d. I found a seller near me for about $900 and he said there is a dust spec or 2 (shows pics).

Thoughts? Brand new it'll be 1400 with tax here in Ontario.

Thanks!

eternal prize said:

I decided to go for the 17-55 canon lens as the 24-70 just won't give me the wide angle i want on my 7d. I found a seller near me for about $900 and he said there is a dust spec or 2 (shows pics).

Thanks!

I bought the above lens used and it came in like new condition. I took a little bit of a risk on it, but I ended up saving about 25% off the cost of the lens. If they take good care of their stuff I think it's worth it.

If the seller is near you, why not see if you can bring your body and take a few snaps with it?

cbox

JLateralus said:
I bought the above lens used and it came in like new condition. I took a little bit of a risk on it, but I ended up saving about 25% off the cost of the lens. If they take good care of their stuff I think it's worth it.

If the seller is near you, why not see if you can bring your body and take a few snaps with it?

Awesome I just might do that this weekend, but i've come accross another dilema!

When testing out certain lenses, the sales guy pulled out tamron's newest 17-50 with VC, almost identical to the canon with slower AF and about half the price...

Decisions... decisions...

Fireye

eternal prize said:

Thanks!

What are you going to be using the lens for? If you don't need wide apeture on it, the 18-55 EF-S lens is actually pretty good (7d works with EF-S lenses, right?).

On secondhand lenses, if it's local, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bought my first lens (outside of the kit lens) secondhand from a guy on the photography-on-the-net forums, and he did a horrible job packing it.

If they still have the warranty card and the original receipt, I think that it can be transferred to you,

cbox

Fireye said:
What are you going to be using the lens for? If you don't need wide apeture on it, the 18-55 EF-S lens is actually pretty good (7d works with EF-S lenses, right?).

On secondhand lenses, if it's local, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bought my first lens (outside of the kit lens) secondhand from a guy on the photography-on-the-net forums, and he did a horrible job packing it.

If they still have the warranty card and the original receipt, I think that it can be transferred to you,

I haven't grabbed a higher end lens to compliment my 7d since upgrading from an XTI, so I'm still using the 17-55 kit lens. I have my nifty fifty 1.8 and this would be a better walk around lens. I'm also planning on shooting some weddings this summer and would hope to do it more often in the coming months. Ya the 7d is made for EF-S.

eternal prize said:
Awesome I just might do that this weekend, but i've come accross another dilema!

When testing out certain lenses, the sales guy pulled out tamron's newest 17-50 with VC, almost identical to the canon with slower AF and about half the price...

Decisions... decisions...

Ack! That's the 2.8, right? I've been eying that one myself...

cbox

JLateralus said:
Ack! That's the 2.8, right? I've been eying that one myself...

That's it! Been getting some awesome reviews, I've just never owned a tamron lens, friends swear by it but the slower AF concerns me.

I just got my new Panasonic ZS7 from Amazon and was looking to get a screen protector for it. My last camera (Canon A80) had a flip screen, so it never got scratched in my pocket. I'm afraid that I will either scratch or scuff the ZS7 screen if I throw it in my pocket. I was looking at the Zagg Invisishield Protector for the ZS3 (no ZS7 version yet). Does anyone know anything about that brand? Is the ZS3's screen size the same as the ZS7?

eternal prize said:
That's it! Been getting some awesome reviews, I've just never owned a tamron lens, friends swear by it but the slower AF concerns me.
i have a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 older model that i really love...plenty sharp wide open, fast. as far as what i was using it for (mostly portraits, landscapes, street photography) the autofocus was acceptable. not super fast, but not slow either. though if you can afford the canon, i would probably just get that.

Forsete

345triangle said:
i stuck down my preorder for the NEX-3 (double lens) today after playing with the interactive menu guide thing at http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/dslr/nex5-nex3/intuitive-operation - pretty convinced this camera is what i've been waiting for.

Coolio. Impressions when you get it. :)
Looks like a nice camera indeed, but I am waiting for news of a possible NEX7 at Photokina in September. Mostly interested in the advanced video options.

Zyzyxxz

eternal prize said:

if you get the ones without the built in AF motor they are good unless you got a D40/60/3000/5000 then you don't need it.

Taking my camera to the beach was a fail...there are little bits of sand stuck in between the buttons. Anything I could do to fix that?

cbox

Zyzyxxz said:
if you get the ones without the built in AF motor they are good unless you got a D40/60/3000/5000 then you don't need it.

So I ended up grabbing the canon 17-55, and GOD IS THIS LENS AMAZING!

Can't wait to play some more :)

Forsete said:
Coolio. Impressions when you get it. :)
Looks like a nice camera indeed, but I am waiting for news of a possible NEX7 at Photokina in September. Mostly interested in the advanced video options.

yeah i'm not so bothered about video (hence going for the NEX-3 over the 5) - i think it'll be more of a concern and a less confusing issue to me if and when i ever upgrade to a full DSLR. for now i'm just happy at the thought of pretty-much-DSLR-quality photos and lens flexibility from an even-smaller-than-MFT body.

will let you know how i find it!

mrkgoo

eternal prize said:
So I ended up grabbing the canon 17-55, and GOD IS THIS LENS AMAZING!

Can't wait to play some more :)
I've had the canon efs 17-55 is f/2.8 since it came out. Amazing lens in image quality and versatility. Quality holds out throughout the range and has f/2.8 with is meaning it is a beast for lowlight.

That said, I have been supremely disappointed in the build. My copy sucks in dust like a vacuum. Seriously, within minutes of removing a protective filter, it will gather some dust specks. Generally this won't affect image quality, but it's bothersome and eventually enough will reduce your cottastnor increase your propensity for flare - a lot of people look for spots when it comes to front element dust, but that's not how it manifests.

On top of that, I've had my autofocus AND my IS system both fail multiple times. All in all, I've had this lens in for service by canon at least 6 times. It annoyed me so much, I bought the much less versatile 17-40 to use in outdoor environments.

This lens u a thorn in y side in that it's the lens I hate to love. Amazing versatility and image quality marred by poor build. Obviously, I'm perhaps at the extreme of the bell curve, butbitsbhard for me to ever justify this lens. I specifically asked canon about getting a replacement, even if I had to pay, or even a small discount on another lens and they just said, "too bad- you're out of warranty".

Zyzyxxz

mrkgoo said:
I've had the canon efs 17-55 is f/2.8 since it came out. Amazing lens in image quality and versatility. Quality holds out throughout the range and has f/2.8 with is meaning it is a beast for lowlight.

That said, I have been supremely disappointed in the build. My copy sucks in dust like a vacuum. Seriously, within minutes of removing a protective filter, it will gather some dust specks. Generally this won't affect image quality, but it's bothersome and eventually enough will reduce your cottastnor increase your propensity for flare - a lot of people look for spots when it comes to front element dust, but that's not how it manifests.

On top of that, I've had my autofocus AND my IS system both fail multiple times. All in all, I've had this lens in for service by canon at least 6 times. It annoyed me so much, I bought the much less versatile 17-40 to use in outdoor environments.

This lens u a thorn in y side in that it's the lens I hate to love. Amazing versatility and image quality marred by poor build. Obviously, I'm perhaps at the extreme of the bell curve, butbitsbhard for me to ever justify this lens. I specifically asked canon about getting a replacement, even if I had to pay, or even a small discount on another lens and they just said, "too bad- you're out of warranty".

I'm surprised at hearing people having problems with it despite its "L" price.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
killertofu said:
Taking my camera to the beach was a fail...there are little bits of sand stuck in between the buttons. Anything I could do to fix that?
Canned/compressed air for the outside, blower bulb for the lens glass and sensor.

cbox

mrkgoo said:

Oh man that's not good :S Maybe you got a lemon? I really REALLY hope that doesn't happen to me.

mrkgoo

Zyzyxxz said:
I'm surprised at hearing people having problems with it despite its "L" price.
Its only l price due to optics, design, and features, not for the construction. I fit had the construction also it would be slightly more expensive.

Eternal prize: I mustve gotten a lemon, but that won't explain why parts I haD replaced failed also.

Don't worry about it. Like I said I'm probably an isolated case. Go enjoy one of the finest standard zooms made.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Alright GAF, I'm finally purchasing my first DSLR!

Only question is which one? I've pretty much narrowed it down to this Canon or this Nikon. They're the same price so I'm pretty much relying on everyone's personal preferences. Thoughts? Suggestions?

cbox

mrkgoo said:
Its only l price due to optics, design, and features, not for the construction. I fit had the construction also it would be slightly more expensive.

Eternal prize: I mustve gotten a lemon, but that won't explain why parts I haD replaced failed also.

Don't worry about it. Like I said I'm probably an isolated case. Go enjoy one of the finest standard zooms made.

will do! :) Sucks to hear about it though, better luck in the future man

Zyzyxxz

Just bought myself a Nikkor 35mm F/1.8 again after having sold it.

Great lens which I prefer over the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a midrange zoom lens to complement my D90?

I can't decide whether to go Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8 or something else offbrand like a Zeiss

PolarDoc22

Neo Member
I've a question of my own.

I'm going to buy an EOS Rebel XS soon. Is the kit lens good to start with or should I buy the 50mm f/1.8 lens too? I think low light photography is going to be my main thing, but the wide aperture is the only reason I want that lens. And since the kit lens is 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 with stabilization, would it really be worth purchasing a similar lens for $100 only for the bigger aperture?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PolarDoc22 said:
I've a question of my own.

I'm going to buy an EOS Rebel XS soon. Is the kit lens good to start with or should I buy the 50mm f/1.8 lens too? I think low light photography is going to be my main thing, but the wide aperture is the only reason I want that lens. And since the kit lens is 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 with stabilization, would it really be worth purchasing a similar lens for $100 only for the bigger aperture?

The stabilized version isn't supposed to be too bad. Also the 50/1.8 would be good to supplement the zoom with but you would really need to like the 50mm focal length to have it be your sole lens (its a bit narrow, as far as the Field of View, on a crop camera).

Edit: Read your post wrong! I would get the 50/1.8 too for low light situations. As you shoot, you'll see how important a few stops of light are (in regards to aperture size). Plus you'll have even greater control over Depth of Field (one of the bigger reasons to shoot with a DSLR) with the 50/1.8.

Ptaaty

vitaminwateryum said:
Alright GAF, I'm finally purchasing my first DSLR!

Only question is which one? I've pretty much narrowed it down to this Canon or this Nikon. They're the same price so I'm pretty much relying on everyone's personal preferences. Thoughts? Suggestions?

spring a tiny bit and get the D5000.

PolarDoc22

Neo Member
BlueTsunami said:
The stabilized version isn't supposed to be too bad. Also the 50/1.8 would be good to supplement the zoom with but you would really need to like the 50mm focal length to have it be your sole lens (its a bit narrow, as far as the Field of View, on a crop camera).

Edit: Read your post wrong! I would get the 50/1.8 too for low light situations. As you shoot, you'll see how important a few stops of light are (in regards to aperture size). Plus you'll have even greater control over Depth of Field (one of the bigger reasons to shoot with a DSLR) with the 50/1.8.

Ah, thanks. Now I definitely know what I'm getting for my birthday! :D

BlueTsunami

equap said:
how do you guys pay for lens that's over $1500???

I haven't made quite a purchase yet but if photography is your only hobby then making such a purchase for an item that can last you a very long time and can be resold near purchased amount isn't that hard to fathom (if this is about the worth of such a lens). How its done? Save up, even if it take you a year or two :D It'll still be there.

equap

Banned
yeah i saved up enough to get a 5d mk2 but it's pretty "old".

but i'm going to get a lens instead, they hold value better.

cbox

equap said:
how do you guys pay for lens that's over $1500???

I work hard, plus my webdesign business helps pay for toys :D

The lens I purchased was more of an investment as I have a few wedding gigs in a few months. My old lenses just weren't cutting it with my 7d so I decided to grab a lens to match the body.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
So..I went out and snagged a D5000 today :D

Anyone have any tips or pointers for settings to increase photo quality? Another thing is even though the shot looks clear through the viewfinder it ends up looking blurry once I bring it over to Lightroom. Any ideas on how to clear that up?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LP160FrontFullsize800p.jpg

MPEX has a new flash for sale - a followup to the very successful LP120. All manual, many different ways of syncing, and decent power. Recharge time sucks, though. No TTL, you get what you pay for.

If you're on a budget and want to learn how to use manual flash, this is the speedlight to get. I have the 120, and it's been really good and durable. Having the 1/8 sync jack is sooooo convenient. I wish all flashes (and cameras, goddammit) had that standard.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
vitaminwateryum said:
So..I went out and snagged a D5000 today :D

Anyone have any tips or pointers for settings to increase photo quality? Another thing is even though the shot looks clear through the viewfinder it ends up looking blurry once I bring it over to Lightroom. Any ideas on how to clear that up?
Are you focusing correctly? Make sure autofocus is on and that you're using it correctly.

Otherwise, it's probably motion blur. You're taking pics on "P" mode or some kind of auto mode, right? Well, if you take pics out in the sun with lots of light, you probably won't get blurry pics.

However, I'm guessing that when you go inside to a more dimly lit area, you start to get blurry pics? Since you're probably using the kit lens, I would suggest either increasing your ISO (although be aware that bumping it up too high will degrade image quality), or using your flash.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm planning on getting a Nikon D3s sometime within the next few weeks and I need help with lens selection. I have 3 Zeiss lenses in mind:

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm
Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2
Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZF Distagon

But I need a zoom lens and AF for everyday use. I also want something wider than 24. Need a lens that's sharp throughout, especially when wide open. Oh, and I want something that can at least do f/2.8. I'm not really familiar with Nikkor glass so I'm asking you guys :)

Also, if you guys can recommend an ultra-wide lens that doesnt have much distortion. I want something really wide without going into fish-eye territory.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mr_nothin said:
I'm planning on getting a Nikon D3s sometime within the next few weeks and I need help with lens selection. I have 3 Zeiss lenses in mind:

But I need a zoom lens and AF for everyday use. I also want something wider than 24. Need a lens that's sharp throughout, especially when wide open. Oh, and I want something that can at least do f/2.8. I'm not really familiar with Nikkor glass so I'm asking you guys :)

Also, if you guys can recommend an ultra-wide lens that doesnt have much distortion. I want something really wide without going into fish-eye territory.
Well, there's 3 full frame, high quality Nikon lenses: the 17-35mm f/2.8D, the 14-24mm f/2.8G, and the 16-35mm f/4G VR (in order of newness).

You probably want to get the 14-24, as it is one of the best wide angle zooms ever made with superior sharpness. Here are a few links to get started:

http://diglloyd.com/articles/ask/lenses-WideAngleZoom.html
http://diglloyd.com/articles/UnderstandingOptics/understanding-distortion.html
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2009-04-blog.html#_20090401Zeiss21

Or just google for 14-24 review.

BlueTsunami

mr_nothin said:

My envy for your eventual gear is off the charts! Since you're throwing down serious cash, I would go with Renthamster's 14-24/2.8G suggestion. If you do get that, I believe the Zeiss 21/2.8 would feel a bit redundant (even though its highly lauded). That aside, you'll pretty much have the best of the best lenses for the 35mm format (well, beside Leica's current M lenses ;)).

If you feel the need for a high quality 35mm lens, I would take a look at the Zeiss 35/2 to round it all out (or the 28/2 since some people, like me, like even more of a gap when shooting 50mm). There's also a rumor that Zeiss will be releasing their widely loved 35/1.4 Distagon down the line.

cbox

Hey Chaps,

Can anyone recommend a few great photography books? Not really a getting started guide, but how to get the best of your camera, etc... I was looking into one of the magic lantern books for my 7d, thoughts on that one?

Thanks!

mr_nothin

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Well, there's 3 full frame, high quality Nikon lenses: the 17-35mm f/2.8D, the 14-24mm f/2.8G, and the 16-35mm f/4G VR (in order of newness).

You probably want to get the 14-24, as it is one of the best wide angle zooms ever made with superior sharpness. Here are a few links to get started:

http://diglloyd.com/articles/ask/lenses-WideAngleZoom.html
http://diglloyd.com/articles/UnderstandingOptics/understanding-distortion.html
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2009-04-blog.html#_20090401Zeiss21

Or just google for 14-24 review.
Thanks for the info! After reading a couple of reviews and seeing sample photos, I think I'm going with the 14-24 :)

Sorry for the delayed thanks

BlueTsunami said:
My envy for your eventual gear is off the charts! Since you're throwing down serious cash, I would go with Renthamster's 14-24/2.8G suggestion. If you do get that, I believe the Zeiss 21/2.8 would feel a bit redundant (even though its highly lauded). That aside, you'll pretty much have the best of the best lenses for the 35mm format (well, beside Leica's current M lenses ;)).

If you feel the need for a high quality 35mm lens, I would take a look at the Zeiss 35/2 to round it all out (or the 28/2 since some people, like me, like even more of a gap when shooting 50mm). There's also a rumor that Zeiss will be releasing their widely loved 35/1.4 Distagon down the line.
Wel I want that 'Zeiss look'. I love the micro-contrast that their lenses tend to have. Never really paid attention to Leica. Should I? I've also been eye'ing that 35/2 but I'd rather go for something with AF. Dont want too many manual lenses ;)

BlueTsunami

mr_nothin said:
Wel I want that 'Zeiss look'. I love the micro-contrast that their lenses tend to have. Never really paid attention to Leica. Should I? I've also been eye'ing that 35/2 but I'd rather go for something with AF. Dont want too many manual lenses ;)

True about the Zeiss look

And Leica's current M lenses are Rangefinder only but they are built (and cost) with no real compromises in mind (think bleeding edge). Here's a good site to read about their gear...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/all-reviews/leica-reviews/

And my Leica dream lens (retails for around $3000)

LEICA 90 SUMMICRON APO ASPH
http://www.stevehuffphotos.com/Stev..._LEICA_90_SUMMICRON_APO_ASPH_LENS_REVIEW.html

Spasm

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So no one knows anything about the T1 or if that's a good deal?
That's a decent enough deal. At the height of Bing cashback, I was able to score a T1i kit for about $611, and I was totally jazzed at that deal. So you're getting an extra, much longer lens for ~100 above that.

But, I've already traded my T1i for a T2i. I really wanted 1080p/30, and Basic Zone Live View. Didn't get near as good of a deal, though.

Edit: Though that 300mm lens isn't a particularly good lens. And the 250mm lens with the deal is coming up as $780 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom