• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cnet NEX-5 Hands on with video.
Imaging Resource review
DP Review NEX-5 Hands On
DP Review NEX-3 Hands On

Cnet Crave
Cnet Australia
NEX3-OVR-L_540x405.jpg

Digital Camera Review
32755.jpg

PC Mag has US prices:

Sony NEX-3 with 16mm F2.8 Lens – $549.99
Sony NEX-3 with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6— $599.99
Sony NEX-5 with 16mm F2.8 Lens – $649.99
Sony NEX-5 with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6— $699.99

16mm f/2.8 – $249.99
18-55mm f3.5-f5.6 – $299
18-200mm – $800 (available sometime in the fall).

OMG. GF2 better be more awesome.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
At first I thought "ehhhhh..." but then I looked at those prices! Very aggressive!

This is looking good for me when I'm ready to jump in 3 or so years from now.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That is really impressive, here is hoping that Nikon and Canon smell the coffee and come up with something before they lose the entire lower-end market.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wads said:
So, this thread is probably more about SLRs and such and I'm not going to read back through the entire massive thread esp without search. I bought the sony cybershot dsc-tx7 and I have to say it's freakin' amazing. If anybody is looking for an awesome point and shoot, definitely check it out.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666073335
Yeah my friend has one and it's pretty awesome. I hate touch screens so I'd go for the HX5V, but I actually don't have that sort of money to be throwing at a P&S right now. I think I'll be happy with my Coolpix S640, especially considering the 8-month photography withdrawal. ^_^

golem

NEX looks very nice and great price. I'm happy with my EP-1 but cant wait to see what the future holds in this segment now that the battle has been joined.

Zyzyxxz

If Nikon doesn't make a competitive EVIL camera I may switch over to Sony even though I only got my D90 2 months ago.

The ISO performance at 3200 is enough to convince me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
some of those shots of the NEX-5 with a long lens on remind me of my much loved f505v - small body, big lens.

speed of autofocus will be key, but those prices look very interesting. 16mm lens is a little fat and slow though, Panasonic 1.7 still the king

edit: ooh, APS-C sensor

impressive (ISO) performance on those evil Sony cameras, but whoever designed the body needs to be fired.

No in-body IS is a mistake, IMHO.

olbareun

the design almost looks like a "concept" like design which is cool, but I hate how the lens sticks out on the top (with some lens). I wonder how these feel on the hand.

wow, i have a tough decision to make now between sony and olympus. i'll need hands-on time whenever the sony hits japan, but i love the design and it seems to match all the MFT cameras on paper...

Forsete

Looks great. Nex5 might be mine. However I sant some more in depth tests of the video function. And yes, no in body is a let down. But it might not have worked together with video.

Cant Wait til I get home. Veiwing sample pictures on an iPhone is not recommended. :p

What's the consensus on the Lumix LX3? I've been wanting to get into photography and I think a good compact will help me get the basics down before I get a DSLR and dive into the world of lenses and whatnot.

Canon G11 and Olympus are not an option btw.

lumix_lx3_panasonic.jpg

Silicon Knight said:
What's the consensus on the Lumix LX3? I've been wanting to get into photography and I think a good compact will help me get the basics down before I get a DSLR and dive into the world of lenses and whatnot.

lumix_lx3_panasonic.jpg

It would be a good start. Popular with enthusiasts. Good luck finding one in stock though.

Silicon Knight said:
Is it likely that Panasonic will come with a successor in the near future?

A successor is most likely coming, but based on how long it took for the LX3 to replace the LX2, you might be waiting quite a while.

VNZ

Silicon Knight said:

lumix_lx3_panasonic.jpg
I'm a bit torn about my LX3, but my expectations were probably set too high. I love the look and feel of it, and the images it produces are great as raw material but I haven't been able to set it up to output anything remotely sexy without further processing. The images tend to be bland in contrast and too saturated. I pretty much gave up on it and have made some decent LR presets for it instead.

VNZ

inhand.jpg

Sex. Love the metal lens. If they release a large aperture street photography prime (about 20-30mm at f/2.0 or better) I'll buy it.

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm traveling to Europe for 6 months later this year and need an inexpensive digital camera (< $400) for the trip. I know nothing about what determines image quality (I know megapixels aren't a good metric) and I'd definitely like it to be able to record at least 720p videos with decent FPS).

I'd been looking at this Samsung TL350 one that apparently's about to come out, qualifies for the features and looks pretty slick, but I really have no idea if I might be missing some other model that could get me a better image output.

Samsung-TL350.jpg

The Samsung TL350 is a 10 megapixel digital compact camera featuring 1080P, full-HD video recording. The TL350 offers a maximum video recording speed of 1,000 frames-per-second (fps) and a 10fps burst mode for stills,thanks to its CMOS sensor and DRIMeIII processor. In addition to sheer speed, the Samsung TL350 also features a 5x, 24mm ultra wide-angle lens, 3 inch AMOLED LCD screen, manual control over exposure, and RAW shooting mode.

I'm looking to improve my photography even if it's with a digital camera and not some fancy DSLR, and I'd like to have a good starting model. And of course I want to come back from Europe with decent quality pictures. Any recommendations? I know GAF will help :D

VNZ

Fireblend said:
I'm looking to improve my photography even if it's with a digital camera and not some fancy DSLR, and I'd like to have a good starting model. And of course I want to come back from Europe with decent quality pictures. Any recommendations? I know GAF will help :D
Sony WX1 is to me the latest camera to push the envelope in the point & shoot space. Great low light capabilities and some quite cool novel features. Recommended it to a friend a couple of weeks ago and she's happy with it so far. Images look pretty darned fine for a camera of that size and price.

I'd go so far as to say that if I bought a compact today I'd probably pick WX1 over the my Panasonic LX1. I always liked the unprocessed output of Sony compacts more than any other brand.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Zyzyxxz said:
How can it be so thin and yet pack more power than a E-P2 or GF1?
its thinner because it doesnt have in body image stabilization like the Olympus'.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
There's a rumor that Sony has a Full Frame NEX in the pipeline for 2011 (which will be marketed as a higher end, these NEX's being entry level). Could be vaporware though.

I'm highly interested in this cameras, also apparently the flange distance of the NEX mount will allow rangefinder lenses to be mounted :D (so save up for that $3500 Leica-M lens!)

Forsete

I was here in 2. ;)

Yes by no means super optics. Looking forward to see what Zeiss and the Sony G series can cook up. These are only "kit" lenses.

If I get a NEX it will be with the Alpha-adaptor and probably the zoom lens.

Very impressive ISO results. IR had it beat out all 4/3 cameras and came very close to the Nikon D5000 and Canon Ti1.
I also saw some video samples on YouTube, the video looked nice indeed. Nice DR, something my HX1 isnt very good at.

24 equivalent is kind of an odd choice of focal length for a first pancake prime. Styling is very nice though.

edit- the design kinda reminds me of the Sony DSC-F717 bridge camera from years ago, my dad has one:

sony-f717.jpg

VNZ

Oh, I didn't realize the prices for the new Sony NEX-cameras was already out. Amazing value, really.

So, is there any good reason why there are so few decent primes released for the mirrorless systems so far? I really hope Sony delivers on this front, and SOON!

Since the zoom lens is so disproportionately big compared to the camera body (hey Sony, you forgot to make one part small), might as well plug some quality (yet bulkier and pricier) optics like the Sony 16-85 to take better advantage of the sensor.

Still, the lack of body IS, the P&S-like controls and proprietary connector BS have put me off. Nice try, but no manufacturer has yet been able to sell me one of those EVIL cameras!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
VNZ said:
So, is there any good reason why there are so few decent primes released for the mirrorless systems so far? I really hope Sony delivers on this front, and SOON!

Zeiss are supposed to be on-board with creating lenses for these mirrorless bodies. They already manufacture amazing Rangefinder lenses so I can't wait to see what they produce.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Forsete said:
Very impressive ISO results. IR had it beat out all 4/3 cameras and came very close to the Nikon D5000 and Canon Ti1.
I also saw some video samples on YouTube, the video looked nice indeed. Nice DR, something my HX1 isnt very good at.
ehh its pretty close from what i've seen.
There's nothing that says omg this is so much better.
You also cant turn off the noise reduction on the Sony's, which you can completely turn off on the Olympus'

But high iso jpeg straight out of the camera is certainly not something i'm interested in to begin with. Raw only and then developed.

I'm also in the noise-is-much-more-prevalent-at 100% on a monitor than on a print camp. You also wouldn't stand an inch away from a print and look at it would you?

Forsete

Yes and RAW would only benefit Sony anyway (while improved (A500/550) Sonys JPEG engine is not amazing). I only shoot RAW.

VNZ: More news at Photokina? Btw, I think I saw a Zeiss emblem in the teaser video for the E-mount videocamera. :D

Still, the lack of body IS, the P&S-like controls and proprietary connector BS have put me off.

I dont have much problem with the proprietary connector. Its multi functional, flash, external microphone, in the future perhaps a OLED EVF. :)

In body IS is a let down, though. The reasoning must be issues with video (sensor based IS not made for long use while recording video?) and/or size factors. I will miss it when I mount my Alpha lenses.

mrkgoo

THey look a bit silly with the larger lenses on 'em, but I do think this is the future of cameras in the portable space.

Does anyone have any experience with buying Canon refurbs? I'm looking to spend £500 on an SLR and I found a refurb 500d on eBay for £470. I'm really tempted to get it because the price is so good, but a bit wary because it's a refurb.

32758.jpg

Is it me or does it look like a Dalek i like the look but god if you have one those huge lenses your pretty much be holding the lens and not the camera

Technosteve said:
32758.jpg

Is it me or does it look like a Dalek i like the look but god if you have one those huge lenses your pretty much be holding the lens and not the camera
Hopefully it doesn't become self-aware and decide to "EXTERMINATE" you. :lol

mrkgoo

Technosteve said:
32758.jpg

When you think about it, that's how it should be. The lenses make the image, and the back just provides some controls and a way to record. Film cameras are actually pretty small.

Fireblend

Banned
So would the NEX series be appropriate for a photography novice going to Europe for 6 months and looking to improve his skills? Or should I just stick to my original "getting a nice point-and-shoot digital camera first" plan? The difference is about $200, but everyone's drooling about the NEX and it does seem like a sexy piece of hardware. I just don't know if it's overkill for me.

Fireblend said:
So would the NEX series be appropriate for a photography novice going to Europe for 6 months and looking to improve his skills? Or should I just stick to my original "getting a nice point-and-shoot digital camera first" plan? The difference is about $200, but everyone's drooling about the NEX and it does seem like a sexy piece of hardware. I just don't know if it's overkill for me.

It's not overkill, it's misguided.

The unnecessarily complicated menu system and the hiding of key manual features will make it more painstaking than it needs to be.

You're better off with a compact like the Panasonic LX3 and the Canon G10 if you want to improve your photographic skills. Or spend a bit more for a m4/3 camera like the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus E-P2.

But that's assuming you want something small. Going for a genuine DSLR, even an entry-level model, would be even better. Any brand would be fine here, even Sony's Alpha series. It can be fairly cheap too.

Fireblend

Banned
Instigator said:
It's not overkill, it's misguided.

The unnecessarily complicated menu system and the hiding of key manual features will make it more painstaking than it needs to be.

You're better off with a compact like the Panasonic LX3 and the Canon G10 if you want to improve your photographic skills. Or spend a bit more for a m4/3 camera like the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus E-P2.

But that's assuming you want something small. Going for a genuine DSLR, even an entry-level model, would be even better. Any brand would be fine here, even Sony's Alpha series. It can be fairly cheap too.

Actually since I'll be traveling I assume a smaller size is desirable, which is why I had been looking for a point and shoot in the first place. I think I'll look into the LX3 or the Samsung one I posted above (I'll probably wait for reviews before deciding on that one). The GF1 is definitely above my budget, and I don't think I want to carry around a big DSLR if I can start with a decent digital camera and get a DSLR down the road that's not necessarily entry-level when I think I can move on from the point and shoot category :p

Zyzyxxz

Fireblend said:
Actually since I'll be traveling I assume a smaller size is desirable, which is why I had been looking for a point and shoot in the first place. I think I'll look into the LX3 or the Samsung one I posted above (I'll probably wait for reviews before deciding on that one). The GF1 is definitely above my budget, and I don't think I want to carry around a big DSLR if I can start with a decent digital camera and get a DSLR down the road that's not necessarily entry-level when I think I can move on from the point and shoot category :p

I would recommend a nice point and shoot since its a better all around compact than a Micro 4/3rds or the Sony NEX considering you would need a decent lens for all around use.

Check out the Canon S90 and the upcoming Samsung TL500 (EX1). The S90 is just awesome, for its size and considering it performs as well and even better in some parts than a Canon G11 (the only downside is lack of manual controls).

The Samsung should be fairly good but its not out yet, should be in the next month or two though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom