• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spasm said:
That's a decent enough deal. At the height of Bing cashback, I was able to score a T1i kit for about $611, and I was totally jazzed at that deal. So you're getting an extra, much longer lens for ~100 above that.

But, I've already traded my T1i for a T2i. I really wanted 1080p/30, and Basic Zone Live View. Didn't get near as good of a deal, though.

Edit: Though that 300mm lens isn't a particularly good lens. And the 250mm lens with the deal is coming up as $780 for me.

Guess I'll hold off then. Thanks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mr_nothin said:
Thanks for the info! After reading a couple of reviews and seeing sample photos, I think I'm going with the 14-24 :)

Sorry for the delayed thanks
Good choice, I haven't been disappointed with the lens performance at all and 14mm on a full frame sensor is total sex. It really helps to achieve a look that is nearly impossible to get with a P&S or even an APS-C DSLR.

It sucks that I can't put a filter on top for windy/dusty/sandy shooting environments, but it's not that bad. Just be extra careful. I hardly use filters on my other lenses nowadays, anyway.

ColR100

Been looking into the Sony's new Nex-3 and Nex-5. Just wondering if anyone has got either on pre-order or already received one, as some opinions would be welcome.

Never owned a full SLR before, and this seems like a nice starter bit of equipment, along with the great HD video recording.

Zyzyxxz

ColR100 said:
Been looking into the Sony's new Nex-3 and Nex-5. Just wondering if anyone has got either on pre-order or already received one, as some opinions would be welcome.

Never owned a full SLR before, and this seems like a nice starter bit of equipment, along with the great HD video recording.

They haven't been released yet.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oh Sony, two steps forward one step back. I was excited for that camera but I guess I'll wait for the Professional version.

luoapp

BlueTsunami said:
Oh Sony, two steps forward one step back. I was excited for that camera but I guess I'll wait for the Professional version.

Why wait then? Go get a DSLR now. NEX line is not for "professional" anyway.

BlueTsunami

luoapp said:
Why wait then? Go get a DSLR now. NEX line is not for "professional" anyway.

I've already got one but a smaller form factor would have been nice when I don't want to lug around my DSLR. And its only a rumor so I shouldn't have implied that there is a Pro version coming but supposedly the NEX-7 is supposed to be more feature rich.

captive said:
get a PEN. :D

so i thought i'd expand a little more on why i'm going the NEX route, because i was dead set on a PEN before sony announced these (you can see the posts saying so in this thread!). having played with both, the NEX is the only model that really feels like a new class of device. i'll explain;

size: the E-PL1 is pretty small, sure, but the NEXes are actually pocket-sized (lens permitting). the ergonomics and stylings are really great, whereas the PENs look like old cameras - now, i like the way they look, but it doesn't really suit the purpose behind buying something like this as a DSLR alternative.

screen: if you're going to buy a quality camera without an EVF, i think the live view mode is going to be pretty important. the PEN's screens are all small and kind of low-res, but the NEXes have really beautiful, sharp, wide screens that can be tilted up or down for shooting above your head or from the hip. again, not a big feature for the DSLR market, but i think it's a big deal for anyone who's buying a mirrorless camera on the grounds of convenience.

price: the PENs are really expensive! considering how close they are to DSLRs in terms of the way they'll fit into your lifestyle, the price is unusually high for the tradeoffs. i'm getting the NEX-3 double lens kit (16mm pancake, 18-55mm zoom) for the same price as the cheapest PEN with a single pancake lens, and i'm not really sure where the corners have been cut. the NEXes even have bigger sensors, and most reviews seem to be saying they easily match their competitors in terms of speed etc.

i think if you're coming from a DSLR background, the PENs or lumix G series might feel more natural to you (though even then, you'd think you'd want to maximise the size advantage) with the interface etc, but from where i am the NEX cameras are far more appealing. they feel like they're designed for what they are, with little compromise, whereas the NX1/PEN/G1 etc just seem like below-average DSLRs.

anyway, those are just my impressions from using both in stores! i'm happy to be the guinea pig for how potentially infuriating the interface might turn out to be, and i'm sure at some point i'll want to upgrade to a full-on DSLR. once i do, though, i'd want the camera i already own to keep some advantages of its own, and i'm not really sure the PEN would have many.

123rl

I posted this in the other thread but this one is probably more suitable so I'll ask again. It's time for me to upgrade and I have an itchy finger. It has to be a Canon and I have a variety of EF-S lenses. I have a choice of either the Canon 550D or the Canon 50D. Both are about the same price (£630-650). I'm stuck because the 550D is newer but the 50D is an XXD range and therefore, should be, better quality. I'm upgrading from a 1000D and I want better dynamic range/ISO performance and just better general image quality

Thraktor

Might as well move my reply over to this thread, while we're at it:

Me said:
The 550D is better in most technical departments (more pixels, slightly better high-ISO, full HD movie mode, better LCD), but the 50D has better build quality and a faster shutter speed. It really depends on exactly what you're looking for. If you're happy with the form factor of the 1000D and are just looking for better image quality, then go with the 550D. If, on the other hand, you'd like the more solid feel of the 50D and the top-LCD display, then the 50D would probably be the way to go (it's still a big improvement in image quality from the 1000D). In this case it may be worth finding a shop where you can handle both of the cameras and see if the build quality of the 50D is worth the trade off for you.

Of course, it's quite likely that Canon will release a 60D later this year with the build quality/frame-rate of the 50D but with the specs of the 550D, but it'll probably cost you that bit more than either the 50D or 550D are going for at the moment.

123rl

Thanks for the response. That definitely helps. I think IQ is more important to me than ergonomics so that makes me think the 550D would be better. I just wasn't sure about the 50D as it's a higher model range than the 550D so - should be - a superior camera in every way

Thraktor

Yeah, usually that would be the case, but the XXD range hasn't been updated for quite a while, whereas the 550D is pretty much brand new, and incorporates a lot of technological advances from the past year or two. This is why everyone's expecting a 60D relatively soon, which would probably beat both of them in terms of specs and features, but will almost certainly launch at a considerably higher price than the 50D is now.

123rl

But how much difference would there be between a 7D and the inevitable 60D? A replacement for the 50D is going to be a LOT more than the £650 I could pay for a 50D. It feels like the XXD range is there to force people to go up to the 7D or to go down to the 550D. Canon have too many models within the £600-1200 range and then there's the 5D2. A 60D would persude me to buy a 7D instead. But if I could afford a 7D I would just pay the extra money to get a 5D2 now that they're down to about £1600

345triangle said:
i'm picking up my NEX in three days, i'll let you know!

i played with them in bic last week, the interface seemed fine to me - but then, i'm not used to DSLRs with mode dials etc.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/dslr/nex5-nex3/intuitive-operation

here's a flash version of the interface...you can take pictures with it.

Be sure to give us feedback and if you agree with DPreview's rather harsh review of the two NEX cameras:

http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page17.asp

The final word
The NEX cameras are a brave and interesting attempt to redefine the camera and one that might, one day, be looked upon as the first step along a new path of camera development. If so, they represent a distinctly unsteady first step.

The biggest disappointment is that the NEXs offer no encouragement or obvious pathways for users wanting to take more control over the camera. The 'Bkground Defocus' option in iAuto mode, constantly recommended in the in-camera guide, doesn't make clear what it's doing and risks being actively unhelpful in some circumstances (using F22-F32 won't yield the 'crisp' images the interface promises). Furthermore, operation and navigation differ enough between iAuto and Aperture Priority mode that you're unlikely to ever guess that they're doing essentially the same things.

As cameras to literally just point and shoot the NEXs do pretty well, which will be enough for some people - although by being restricted to ISO 1600 in iAuto mode, the benefits over a good compact camera are not as clear-cut as they could be. Sadly even these users may find the battery life problematic, and we'd be hard-pushed to think of an interchangeable lens camera less appropriate for a keen photographer. In conclusion, the NEX system shows a great deal of promise but we'd strongly advise waiting for the next generation of products.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
345triangle said:
so i thought i'd expand a little more on why i'm going the NEX route, because i was dead set on a PEN before sony announced these (you can see the posts saying so in this thread!). having played with both, the NEX is the only model that really feels like a new class of device. i'll explain;

size: the E-PL1 is pretty small, sure, but the NEXes are actually pocket-sized (lens permitting). the ergonomics and stylings are really great, whereas the PENs look like old cameras - now, i like the way they look, but it doesn't really suit the purpose behind buying something like this as a DSLR alternative.

screen: if you're going to buy a quality camera without an EVF, i think the live view mode is going to be pretty important. the PEN's screens are all small and kind of low-res, but the NEXes have really beautiful, sharp, wide screens that can be tilted up or down for shooting above your head or from the hip. again, not a big feature for the DSLR market, but i think it's a big deal for anyone who's buying a mirrorless camera on the grounds of convenience.

price: the PENs are really expensive! considering how close they are to DSLRs in terms of the way they'll fit into your lifestyle, the price is unusually high for the tradeoffs. i'm getting the NEX-3 double lens kit (16mm pancake, 18-55mm zoom) for the same price as the cheapest PEN with a single pancake lens, and i'm not really sure where the corners have been cut. the NEXes even have bigger sensors, and most reviews seem to be saying they easily match their competitors in terms of speed etc.

i think if you're coming from a DSLR background, the PENs or lumix G series might feel more natural to you (though even then, you'd think you'd want to maximise the size advantage) with the interface etc, but from where i am the NEX cameras are far more appealing. they feel like they're designed for what they are, with little compromise, whereas the NX1/PEN/G1 etc just seem like below-average DSLRs.

anyway, those are just my impressions from using both in stores! i'm happy to be the guinea pig for how potentially infuriating the interface might turn out to be, and i'm sure at some point i'll want to upgrade to a full-on DSLR. once i do, though, i'd want the camera i already own to keep some advantages of its own, and i'm not really sure the PEN would have many.
To each their own i suppose. I LOVE the classic look of the EP2 i've actually been asked if its a film camera. I've also been asked by people in the know if its one of the new PENs, been stopped in restaurants and on the street by people asking about it, since i actually take it almost everywhere with my because of its size.
I dont think the NEX or PENS are pocketable unless you have big pockets. The NEX is smaller but the lenses are bigger so to me whats the point.

You are right they did cut corners, the NEX has no image stabilization in the body(which will make lenses with stabilization bigger) and has no dust buster to actually speak of.

I can tell you the EP2 is anything but a below average DSLR, it's actually got a better sensor than my E30 and can do almost everything that I do with my E30 except focus fast enough for birds, which isn't what I will be using it for anyway.

Bigger better screens take more battery life and when the primary way to compose pictures is said screen, i'll take battery life over a 2.5" - 3" screen because i don't view my pictures on that.

I'm very interested to see how Olympus and Panasonic will respond to NEX. The prices have been and need to continue to go down though.

I do know that small mirrorless cameras are already huge and will continue to grow in popularity so Canikon wont stay out for long.

There are rumors of two versions of the GF2 which is due out in September. One with a viewfinder and maybe a more plastic body to compete with the E-PL1 (E-PL2 due in Feb). I can't wait for the GF2 to be announced. Thanks to the NEX hopefully it will be a little smaller than the GF1 and have an improved sensor.

And the LX4 is coming. I have $500 saved up so far on Amazon.com for the GF2 (thanks surveys!). :D

Zyzyxxz

Jayayess1190 said:
There are rumors of two versions of the GF2 which is due out in September. One with a viewfinder and maybe a more plastic body to compete with the E-PL1 (E-PL2 due in Feb). I can't wait for the GF2 to be announced. Thanks to the NEX hopefully it will be a little smaller than the GF1 and have an improved sensor.

And the LX4 is coming. I have $500 saved up so far on Amazon.com for the GF2 (thanks surveys!). :D

LX4 woot! I'm probably gonna that get that, an S90, or whatever Nikon is coming out with to be a companion for my D90

golem

captive said:
To each their own i suppose. I LOVE the classic look of the EP2 i've actually been asked if its a film camera. I've also been asked by people in the know if its one of the new PENs, been stopped in restaurants and on the street by people asking about it, since i actually take it almost everywhere with my because of its size.
Yeah I get comments on my EP-1 alot... the first time I took it out, a waiter at a restaurant I was at recognized it immediately

captive said:

I like the retro styling too (the original whte E-P1 even more so) but the more mundane looking E-PL1 is the overall better camera!

captive said:
entirely reasonable-sounding PEN love

well, i feel like pretty much everything the E-PL1 does better than a DSLR is further topped by the NEX, so it doesn't really play to its strengths as well. but we'll see! from all the reviews, it sounds like the NEX is a questionable buy for people that know way more than me about photography, but i won't have a problem with buying a "proper" SLR if i hit the ceiling on the NEX - by then, the entry-level SLR market will probably be a lot easier to parse, for one thing, and for another i'll always have a tiny cute sony thing knocking around, which would distinguish itself from my hypothetical future SLR way more than a PEN.

what it comes down to is, i like shiny stuff

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
UnluckyKate said:
Nice !

Don't bother downloading it: the Beta 2 auto updates at launch.
mine didn't. It opened and asked me if i wanted to download which then takes you to adobes webpage.

Anyway, I R excited for LR3, the beta had a few annoying bugs like the left scroll bar would go missing or take up the whole page so i couldn't scroll through my catalog.

Instigator said:
but the more mundane looking E-PL1 is the overall better camera!
after using my moms and completely unable to find the "aperture" button and the IS is a dumbed down version, and the ISO is limited to 3200. The only thing I think is better is that its sensor has less anti-aliasing, to the point that it actually creates moire.
The EP2's menu system alone makes it better for me.

New lens arrived today! I wanted to make my 5DII more portable and less conspicuous. So I got the Voigtlander 40mm f/2 pancake lens. It seems nice and sharp from my initial tests, and build quality and focus ring feel are fantastic. It's also tiny, and a handy focal length on full frame.

Got some gaffers tape too, to make my camera a little more stealthy in appearance.

4683789783_56b80158b7_b.jpg

4683789721_cffb89ed8d_b.jpg

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
waiting a few weeks before buying the final LR3. i've loved betas 1 and 2, which the latter expires on June 30. so far there's been glowing previews of the final.

Are the Sony entry level DSLRs any good? Which ones are worth the money?

It's for a present and he already has Minolta lenses which I have heard can be used on the Sony DSLRs (is that true)?

Thraktor

123rl said:
But how much difference would there be between a 7D and the inevitable 60D? A replacement for the 50D is going to be a LOT more than the £650 I could pay for a 50D. It feels like the XXD range is there to force people to go up to the 7D or to go down to the 550D. Canon have too many models within the £600-1200 range and then there's the 5D2. A 60D would persude me to buy a 7D instead. But if I could afford a 7D I would just pay the extra money to get a 5D2 now that they're down to about £1600

That's the puzzling part, and it's why some people are speculating that there won't actually be a 60D; the 7D has essentially taken its spot in the lineup. It's possible that the 60D might have something a bit crazy like a 20+ megapixel sensor, GPS or 120fps video, but it's hard to see what potentially realistic features it might have to distinguish itself from the rest of the lineup.

Zyzyxxz

Kamakazie! said:
Are the Sony entry level DSLRs any good? Which ones are worth the money?

It's for a present and he already has Minolta lenses which I have heard can be used on the Sony DSLRs (is that true)?

Most of the Sony ones are good just get the A230 or 330 depending on your budget. Since he has a bunch of Minolta lenses then its a no brainer for him to get a Sony DSLR.

picked up my NEX today! the battery is charging, so here's a shot taken with my lumix compact.

aot95k.jpg

as you can see, it is tiny and cute. i think white cameras are the new white earphones.

123rl

Thraktor said:
That's the puzzling part, and it's why some people are speculating that there won't actually be a 60D; the 7D has essentially taken its spot in the lineup. It's possible that the 60D might have something a bit crazy like a 20+ megapixel sensor, GPS or 120fps video, but it's hard to see what potentially realistic features it might have to distinguish itself from the rest of the lineup.

But anything crazy like that would hurt sales of the (very popular) Canon 7D. It's a really silly situation. I'm off to Manchester now to look at a 550D and I may be coming home with one :D It's definitely the right choice for me

345triangle said:
picked up my NEX today! the battery is charging, so here's a shot taken with my lumix compact.

aot95k.jpg

as you can see, it is tiny and cute. i think white cameras are the new white earphones.

That looks so awesome! Impressions? Reviews haven't been that great but it could be an option instead of the DSLR if they take the Minolta lenses too.

Are there any lenses that the Sony's won't take from Minolta?

123rl

Well I came home with a 50D :D I saw a used one that is immaculate and the price was too good to ignore. Plus the 550D is sold out everywhere unless I want to pay £999+ to get it with a lens I don't want!

I'm really happy with it though. It's a huge step up in quality and even if the 550D is a newer/better model I don't think it's worth the extra money I would have had to spend (£200+)

Zyzyxxz

Kamakazie! said:
That looks so awesome! Impressions? Reviews haven't been that great but it could be an option instead of the DSLR if they take the Minolta lenses too.

Are there any lenses that the Sony's won't take from Minolta?

It should take Minolta lenses with an Alpha adapter I believe? Might not autofocus though.

hEist

123rl said:
Well I came home with a 50D :D I saw a used one that is immaculate and the price was too good to ignore. Plus the 550D is sold out everywhere unless I want to pay £999+ to get it with a lens I don't want!

I'm really happy with it though. It's a huge step up in quality and even if the 550D is a newer/better model I don't think it's worth the extra money I would have had to spend (£200+)

Great choice :)

BlueTsunami

123rl said:

Better build quality and Viewfinder, no doubt. Given the same situation I would have done the same. You got Live View anyways and thats all that matters as far as newish features.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
345triangle said:

http://i49.tinypic.com/aot95k.jpg[IMG]

as you can see, it is tiny and cute. i think white cameras are the new white earphones.[/QUOTE]
That does look really cute.

rass

does anyone in here use a lightmeter/flashmeter?
I'm thinking of picking up a sekonic l-758 (http://www.sekonic.com/products/Sekonic L-758DR DIGITALMASTER.asp)

never owned a flash meter before - this one comes with a built in spot meter and pocketwizard transmitter that it's cheaper siblings need as optional extras, I need the transmitter and want the spot meter. It has better range than the built in meter of my d700 and a 1° spot…

It currently takes me too long to set up 2 lights or sometimes 3 and get them to balance with the ambient, hoping this will solve that issue.

Kamakazie! said:

i don't know about minolta but all the materials i've seen for the adapter just say "takes a-mount alpha lenses" which is the same thing as far as i know?

anyway so far i'm really impressed by the NEX! the low light performance is amazing for a camera this size - it comes with a little external flash but i can't see myself ever using it at night. the interface is very simple to use, and despite being entirely in japanese i'm pretty comfortable with it already. there is definitely more menu usage than a DSLR if you want to do lots of things at once, but for now i like how it works - i'm at the stage of photography knowledge where i'll basically be like "okay so in this situation i should probably change the aperture/shutter speed/iso" and not much more than that, and it makes everything very simple on that level.

it looks like this at night

2rdjkfb.jpg

and this in daylight

2h85o54.jpg

all the negative impressions i've seen have been entirely based on the interface from a DSLR user's perspective, which is fair enough and i can see why they might get frustrated with the lack of physical controls. it's still much easier to use than a point-and-shoot, though, and the hardware and performance are both light years ahead.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
rass said:
does anyone in here use a lightmeter/flashmeter?
I'm thinking of picking up a sekonic l-758 (http://www.sekonic.com/products/Sekonic L-758DR DIGITALMASTER.asp)

never owned a flash meter before - this one comes with a built in spot meter and pocketwizard transmitter that it's cheaper siblings need as optional extras, I need the transmitter and want the spot meter. It has better range than the built in meter of my d700 and a 1° spot…

It currently takes me too long to set up 2 lights or sometimes 3 and get them to balance with the ambient, hoping this will solve that issue.
No. Just chimp it.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-balancing-flash-and.html
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09/lighting-102-33-balancing-flashambient.html
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/2-flash-ambient-light/
http://www.google.com/search?q=bala...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

rass

Rentahamster said:
Ive been reading Strobist for 2 years and I check Neils blog once every other week.
Thanks for taking the time to link me though, appreciated.
I should also have mentioned, I want to study photography next year and I will need to get a light meter if I get in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom