• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
rass said:
Ive been reading Strobist for 2 years and I check Neils blog once every other week.
Thanks for taking the time to link me though, appreciated.
I should also have mentioned, I want to study photography next year and I will need to get a light meter if I get in
Oh, well if they make you get a light meter anyway, then I guess you gotta get one. Honestly, though, unless for some reason you need perfectly precise light (like making sure that the light on a seamless is perfectly even, for example, and even then you can do it well enough without a light meter) the light meter has really lost a lot of its usefulness in this day an age of digital photography.

345triangle said:
i don't know about minolta but all the materials i've seen for the adapter just say "takes a-mount alpha lenses" which is the same thing as far as i know?

That is good to hear.

The adaptor info says this:
"The LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor allows both cameras to be used with your collection of α DSLR lenses, including primes, zooms, telephotos, wide angles and macros. It’s also compatible with A-mount optics by Konica-Minolta. So now you can enjoy the flexibility and pro-quality imaging performance of your favourite lenses in any shooting situation."

So they might work but i'll have to check the lenses out myself.
That lowlight performance does look good although it's hard to tell how noisy the shot was with it scaled down like that.
What ISO setting was that taken at?

Stuck

Not to derail any conversations going on in here, but I just wanted to stop in and say that I just picked up a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home bag and I'm pretty pleased with it.

It fits my D90, 70-300, 35mm, an external flash and/or third lens, and all the standard accessories quite nicely while remaining nice and compact. I've been very impressed with the quality of the materials and little touches too (such as flaps that you can pull over the velcro in order to essentially disable them when you need to be more silent). It's also super easy to swing the bag around to access your gear quickly without actually having to take anything off. If anyone is looking for a smaller messenger-style bag that is both inconspicuous and comfortable, you could do a lot worse.

Thraktor

123rl said:
Well I came home with a 50D :D I saw a used one that is immaculate and the price was too good to ignore. Plus the 550D is sold out everywhere unless I want to pay £999+ to get it with a lens I don't want!

I'm really happy with it though. It's a huge step up in quality and even if the 550D is a newer/better model I don't think it's worth the extra money I would have had to spend (£200+)

Not a bad purchase at all, especially if you got a good deal on it. Now you can spend that extra cash on the really important part; the lenses :D

123rl

I'm so impressed with it. It's much more intuitive to use. It's just all the little things I've noticed while using that I couldn't use on the 1000D, such as the two scroll wheels to quickly navigate and change two options at once (ie one controls AEB and one controls under/over exposure). Both can be changed within a second yet it would take so much longer to do that on my old camera. I love how it feels and looks like a professional camera. The build quality is so good on it.

I think I've got a good range of lenses but I definitely want to upgrade my zoom lens. It's the weak link now. I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8m, and a Tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 that is good but it's pretty soft. I've just bought a new macro lens too (Tamron 90mm f2.8). I didn't want a macro lens but when you see one in CEX that is in perfect condition for 1/3 of its retail price, what are you supposed to do? :D I would like a wide angle lens at some point but it won't be for a while

Kamakazie! said:
That is good to hear.

The adaptor info says this:
"The LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor allows both cameras to be used with your collection of α DSLR lenses, including primes, zooms, telephotos, wide angles and macros. It’s also compatible with A-mount optics by Konica-Minolta. So now you can enjoy the flexibility and pro-quality imaging performance of your favourite lenses in any shooting situation."

So they might work but i'll have to check the lenses out myself.
That lowlight performance does look good although it's hard to tell how noisy the shot was with it scaled down like that.
What ISO setting was that taken at?
yeah sorry, figured it was better to do that than screw up the thread's h-scroll...

that shot's at iso 500, and i think i took it using the A mode, which means i probably won't have manually adjusted anything except the aperture.

ChryZ

345triangle said:
yeah sorry, figured it was better to do that than screw up the thread's h-scroll...

that shot's at iso 500, and i think i took it using the A mode, which means i probably won't have manually adjusted anything except the aperture.
How is manual focusing on the NEX? Is there any kind of assistance like digital zoom, etc?

The other day, I bought this camera for super cheap on a open sale:

zyj03d.jpg

and I put a film in, so I can travel to japan with it tomorrow.

But this morning, I was bored and I decided to see how the 58mm F/1,2 was standing against my 50mm F/1,8 and even if the old optic is not compatible with my 450D, it fits more or less in.

I have to hold it. Focus can be achieved. I shot wide open:

14jtj0l.jpg

Unedited picture. Brutal bokeh :lol

ChryZ said:
How is manual focusing on the NEX? Is there any kind of assistance like digital zoom, etc?
yeah it zooms in 7x and you just rotate the dial itself, which works nicely because the metal lenses feel awesome and have the perfect amount of resistance to my untrained fingers.

i took it out on saturday night for a friend's party at a bar and i got so many "what the hell is THAT" comments (positive) - everyone wanted to play with it! this girl came up to me and said she was going to buy one but is waiting for the 100,000 yen telephoto :/ i think i'm good for now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
345triangle said:
picked up my NEX today! the battery is charging, so here's a shot taken with my lumix compact.

aot95k.jpg

as you can see, it is tiny and cute. i think white cameras are the new white earphones.

beautiful. So many F505v vibes from that.

Can you comment on the features, not so much the interface?

i.e can you have proper aperture priority control, or shutter priority, and change the ISO etc? I don't mind so much if it takes a few menu clicks to get there, as long as the feature is available.

How do you actually adjust aperture in aperture priority mode? is that a menu item or just a dial/button press?

essentially the priority modes assign the most relevant things to the dial, so you use it to adjust the aperture in A mode, shutter speed in S mode etc., which is really simple. also the default dial function for intelligent auto is basically aperture, though it calls it something like "background blur" in that mode.

if you want to adjust something else in a given mode, usually you press the menu button (context-sensitive, but almost always menu) and scroll through to the right function, and that assigns it to the other context sensitive button below the dial so you can switch between it. in the case of ISO, though, you press "menu", go to the "明るさ・色あい" (brightness/saturation) part of the main menu, select the ISO from there and it drops you back into the shooting mode from before with ISO adjusted.

the menu makes sense to me, but as i've said before i don't necessarily know what i'm missing with a DSLR. it's basically a point-and-shoot interface with full manual controls in the menus and a dial that gives you really easy control over one feature at a time, at least.

ChryZ

Quick heads up, GH1/GF1 owners. Recently the GH1 firmware was hacked and a patch util for custom firmware is available. The same util can patch the latest GF1 firmware: it's able to unlock full 1080p mjpeg with up to 60mbps, also the 30 minutes recording limit can be removed. Seems all pretty safe, but install at your own risk.

Samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr8kKWZqoZw
http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/12515413
http://www.veoelmundo.com/plaza-major-mercado-san-miguel-madrid-gf1-20mm-hacked-firmware

Util:
http://wiki.eoshd.com/wiki/GH1_Custom_Firmware

Latest GF1 firmware:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gf1.html

Impression and hands-on thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=35575086&page=1

AFKevin

Neo Member
Hey guys, i'm in the market for a really good macro lens at this point for my Canon 5d. My only current good lens is a 17-40 F/4L wide angle lens, but I can't get good close up shots with it at all. If someone can recommend me a couple good lens, in various price ranges, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
AFKevin said:
Hey guys, i'm in the market for a really good macro lens at this point for my Canon 5d. My only current good lens is a 17-40 F/4L wide angle lens, but I can't get good close up shots with it at all. If someone can recommend me a couple good lens, in various price ranges, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

5D? The only one I can think of is the Canon 100/2.8L (or the non L version if you can find it) thats from Canon and fits Full Frame (also their 180/3.5 but its pretty expensive). Sigma and Tamron make phenomenal macro lenses for cheaper too. The Sigma 180 and the Tamron 90/2.8 are some of the best...

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG IF HSM APO
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JKGYC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00021EEA4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

123rl

I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8. It is a really nice lens. It is a little slow to focus but I don't know how it compares to other lenses in that way. I also expected the minimum focus distance to be a lot less

AFKevin

Neo Member
Thanks again blue and 123, the information definently helps me. I'm now stuck between the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and the Canon 100 f/2.8 non-L series, not sure if i can justify the extra 300 again like i did with the wide angle.

BlueTsunami

AFKevin said:
Thanks again blue and 123, the information definently helps me. I'm now stuck between the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and the Canon 100 f/2.8 non-L series, not sure if i can justify the extra 300 again like i did with the wide angle.

Here's a review of the Tamron and Canon lenses you're looking at

Tamron 90/2.8 Macro
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-90mm-f-2.8-Di-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Canon 100/2.8 Macro
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

It looks as though the Canon may be the way to go (if just for the AF speed and accuracy over the others).

rass

have you considered looking for a 2nd hand Canon 100 2.8 (non-L)? it is such a nice lens and can be had for a relative bargain used.

I haven't used the Tamron so I can't compare the 2 sorry. Tried (and loved) both canon 100 macros though

Nameless

I think I've finally decided on the Canon EOS 550d for my first dSLR. It's slightly above my ideal price range but after researching, it seems like the extra $200 investment will be well worth it in the long run. I was originally leaning toward the Nikon 5000d, but not only am I likely to outgrow it fairly soon, but it looks like I stand to spend considerably more on Nikon's narrow offering of expensive lenses as opposed to Canon's more robust and cheaper selection. Am I wrong here?

Speaking of lenses, would it be smarter to go ahead and purchase the 18-55mm kit, or purchase the body only and get a better/more versatile lens separately? For those suggesting the latter would please be so kind as to also suggest some good starting lenses. I'd like to gain experience in multipof photography aspects so I'm interested in shooting a variety of things.

Nameless said:
I think I've finally decided on the Canon EOS 550d for my first dSLR. It's slightly above my ideal price range but after researching, it seems like the extra $200 investment will be well worth it in the long run. I was originally leaning toward the Nikon 5000d, but not only am I likely to outgrow it fairly soon, but it looks like I stand to spend considerably more on Nikon's narrow offering of expensive lenses as opposed to Canon's more robust and cheaper selection. Am I wrong here?

Speaking of lenses, would it be smarter to go ahead and purchase the 18-55mm kit, or purchase the body only and get a better/more versatile lens separately? For those suggesting the latter would please be so kind as to also suggest some good starting lenses. I'd like to gain experience in multipof photography aspects so I'm interested in shooting a variety of things.

I fail to see how you can go wrong with a simple kit lens to start with. It typically adds like 50 or 100 bucks to the price, but you can learn a lot from using it, including what type of lens you'd like to upgrade to.

rass

Zyzyxxz said:
How do you guys feel about KEH's BGN (bargain) quality lenses?
people always say how conservatively keh rate their gear. I've never bought from them so I've got no 1st hand experience to speak of.

I need a wider lens for my d700 too…
Does anyone here own a sigma 24 1.8? I've also been considering a second hand tamron 17-35 2.8-4 but I'd love a fast wide prime. Money is an issue, hopefully starting at uni next year and I have some debt to clear first - My only lenses are the 50 1.8 and a couple of bits of legacy glass, the widest being a tamron 35-80 2.8-3.8

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Zyzyxxz said:
Luck of the draw really, but it should be more consistent than stuff you'll find on ebay/craigslist. You can also return them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nameless said:

Get this. 100 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Crys

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 and its quality?
I have a 1000D with the starter kit (18-55) would the Tamron be a good additiion or would u recommend something else?

East Lake

Zyzyxxz said:
I've bought five lenses from them so far, three were bargains and only had wear on the painted numbers, but were in great condition otherwise and still work as they should. One I bought I think on EX was immaculate, sent the last back 'cause I felt like I spent too much. :lol

BlueTsunami

the_painted_bird said:
So, I want a new compact analog camera.
I have a few things in mind and am looking to spend not much more than $500. Any suggestions?

Compact Film? Haven't had first hand experience but I know Fuji makes some great compacts or maybe look at a Ricoh GR 1? Its lens is a moderately fast 28mm (28/2.8). You could also delve into Rangefinder territory :)

BlueTsunami said:
Compact Film? Haven't had first hand experience but I know Fuji makes some great compacts or maybe look at a Ricoh GR 1? Its lens is a moderately fast 28mm (28/2.8). You could also delve into Rangefinder territory :)
Yes, film. Keep the suggestions coming.

East Lake

I'm sorta in the same boat as you and I've been looking at Voigtlander Bessa's. Mainly because you can slap any M lens on there and get the final image of say, a Leica without paying thousands of dollars for the body. Dunno if I'll get that or a dslr first though.

BlueTsunami

Antimatter said:
I'm sorta in the same boat as you and I've been looking at Voigtlander Bessa's. Mainly because you can slap any M lens on there and get the final image of say, a Leica without paying thousands of dollars for the body. Dunno if I'll get that or a dslr first though.

A Bessa R + Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.1 must = UNF UNF UNF

I think a Bessa R goes for $600? Just the body alone.

East Lake

Yeah it would probably take a decent amount of searching to find one under that significantly, the lenses would put it out of the 500 range easy though, didn't think of that for some reason.

Guys :(...I'm really struggling with my decision

Basically it's going to be my first DSLR, upgrading from a P'n'S that I have had for 3 years. I've come to find that the camera just isn't sharp enough in some occasions and when I was recently at a DJ Premier tour I just didn't get the versitility my cousin got with his DSLR

So anyways, the types of things I want to be shooting at architecture, family, events and everyday stuff like foods, flowers/bugs, electronics, etc and some video footage. So nothing too fast like sports, but I'll be shooting in the dark a lot of the time.

So my choice came down to:

Canon 500D £569
Canon 550D £749
Nikon D5000 £479

The 550D seemed perfect as I could go full HD @30FPS, but in reviews both Canon's come behind the Nikon for ISO and colour depth which is important to me. The only thing that puts me off the Nikon is the fact that the video isn't 1080P (I don't think it really matters, but I'd like to have it and it only shoots in 4 minute blocks), but on the flip side the price is so much better I can concentrate on buying better lenses.

My friends have Nikons too so I could borrow some of their lenses if needs be, and I like the feel of a bigger sturdier camera for my large clumsy self. So that's why I decided on the Nikon D5000 for now, unless sometime can add more insight :)

*ps, both cameras will have the stadndard 18mm-55mm kit lens and I will get a 50mm 1.8/4 lens too.

Futureman

HI.

What are my options for a compact that does HD at high frame rates?

My 5DII only does 24fps or 30fps, and I really want to experiment with slow motion. I'm thinking of maybe picking up a camera around $400 or so that can do 120fps or so in HD. Are my options only going to be 720p at this price point?

VNZ

Futureman said:
HI.

What are my options for a compact that does HD at high frame rates?

My 5DII only does 24fps or 30fps, and I really want to experiment with slow motion. I'm thinking of maybe picking up a camera around $400 or so that can do 120fps or so in HD. Are my options only going to be 720p at this price point?
High Framerate. High Resolution. Low Price. You can only choose one.

golem

Mecha_Infantry said:
The 550D seemed perfect as I could go full HD @30FPS, but in reviews both Canon's come behind the Nikon for ISO and colour depth which is important to me. The only thing that puts me off the Nikon is the fact that the video isn't 1080P (I don't think it really matters, but I'd like to have it and it only shoots in 4 minute blocks), but on the flip side the price is so much better I can concentrate on buying better lenses.
I would get the 550d because if video is important to you Canon is doing alot more to support their customers. You'd probably want to shoot at 24fps for a film like effect. The Canon will be superior to the D5000 noise wise, and color can be adjusted in post to your preference.

h_a_t

Anyone have experience with Sony's MPK-THJ for their DSC-TX7 line?

34hten6.jpg

Better question, is there any decent cheaper alternative to taking the TX5/7 underwater as this thing goes anywhere from $180 - $220?
And not too necessarily deep, just about 6 - 10 feet.

h_a_t

Yeah, I remember reading about that in reviews luoapp.

I'll go back and read some more reviews as reviewers stated the tx7 produced higher quality video recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom