• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

luoapp

h_a_t said:
Yeah, I remember reading about that in reviews luoapp.

I'll go back and read some more reviews as reviewers stated the tx7 produced higher quality video recordings.

720p vs 1080p. The sensor and optics are the same. TBH, I don't think that makes a big difference. But the waterproof feature can be very useful -- time to hit the beach now.:lol

h_a_t

Indeed my friend, beaches, parks, lakes, rivers...any where there will be "beautiful scenery".
I had a friend show me the AVCHD recordings he did recently with the tx7 and they were damn nice, and I was hoping the tx5 would be able to do 720p/60fps.
Unfortunately, that's not the case.
:(

One site with examples of the tx7 video recordings:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/TX7/TX7A.HTM

That said, the more I read about the tx5, the more I'm pleased with how durable it is and it may be my next point and shoot camera.

teiresias

Not sure whether I should dump a question about Lightroom Catalogs and metadata into this topic or not? I'll do it if people think it's ok - since it's not really a gear question, which this seems to be - or I could just start a new topic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
teiresias said:
Not sure whether I should dump a question about Lightroom Catalogs and metadata into this topic or not? I'll do it if people think it's ok - since it's not really a gear question, which this seems to be - or I could just start a new topic.

You can post it here. I'll answer it.

Spasm

Canon T2i firmware update posted yesterday.

Canon.com said:
Firmware Version 1.0.8 incorporates the following fixes.

1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the set aperture moves unexpectedly
when shooting movies in manual exposure mode using some
lenses (such as macro lenses).
My camera shipped with 1.06. Wonder what 1.07 was about.

slider

I take it no one here has a NEX yet?

Whilst the engadget review was interesting I've a good friend's birthday coming up soon and I know she'd love the aesthetic of the NEX. Seriously, she's not even into photography that much but... the aesthetic would make it a great present for her.

Zyzyxxz

slider said:

Whilst the engadget review was interesting I've a good friend's birthday coming up soon and I know she'd love the aesthetic of the NEX. Seriously, she's not even into photography that much but... the aesthetic would make it a great present for her.

seems like a waste of money to get her a nice looking camera which may be more fuss than she needs if she isn't into photography. Chicks wont want to bother with the whole exchanging lens idea if she doesn't care for technology.

If you want something that looks nice just get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LBMAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Finally selling my backup 350D, so I want to pick up something a bit more compact for my travels to go alongside my 40D. I was going to get a G11, but I just know Canon will announce an update as soon as I bite the bullet. The rumoured HD video on a G12 would be something I'd want to wait for. Ugh, decisions. I'm off at the end of the month. I guess I can just go 40D only for a while.

slider said:

i have one! i like it! posted a bunch about it a page or two back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zyzyxxz said:
seems like a waste of money to get her a nice looking camera which may be more fuss than she needs if she isn't into photography. Chicks wont want to bother with the whole exchanging lens idea if she doesn't care for technology.

she doesn't need to swap lenses. Plenty of people probably don't swap lenses on their DSLR. Thats one of the reasons 18-200 lenses exist.

Had a look at a NEX5 the other day. The 18-55 lens is oddly massive, almost DSLR size, but it just works on that tiny body. Very much like an old F505v, down to the hinged screen. Gorgeous. They just have to tweak the user interface a little and I think I won't be able to resist.

slider

Zyzyxxz said:

I absolutely know what you mean but... still. She loves taking snaps but she's just not into it as much as she could be if you know what I mean.

She'll have seen it in magazines and stuff and, tragically, she'll know it'll look good so unfortuanately I think my mind is made up. Once again: tragic.

BTW, when's the NEX-7 releasing? September?

Also is it acceptable to play with a present before giving it to the intended recipient??

mrklaw

MrArseFace
slider said:
I absolutely know what you mean but... still. She loves taking snaps but she's just not into it as much as she could be if you know what I mean.

She'll have seen it in magazines and stuff and, tragically, she'll know it'll look good so unfortuanately I think my mind is made up. Once again: tragic.

Also is it acceptable to play with a present before giving it to the intended recipient??

if she isn't into photography, consider a NEX3. Cheaper but pretty similar specs

luoapp

slider said:

It is rumored nex-7 will be announced soon, but I don't think it will be released until next year.

The nex-5 does look very nice. I think she will like it. Also, if she only used point-and-shoot cameras before, there is a good chance she will be impressed by the DSLR feel, mainly the shallow DOF. And it bears the sony brand, which oddly enough, still means something for the people outside GAF.:lol

slider

mrklaw said:
if she isn't into photography, consider a NEX3. Cheaper but pretty similar specs

Thanks for that. I hadn't even heard of the NEX3. I'll look into it. I'll also check out the impressions posted by 345triangle.

For context she had an iPad too, but from what she tells me, doesn't really use it too often.

slider said:

Sony is expected to announce the NEX-7 and their Pellicle-mirrored Alpha in September at Photokina.

slider

Valkyr Junkie said:
Sony is expected to announce the NEX-7 and their Pellicle-mirrored Alpha in September at Photokina.

Ahh yeah, I saw a few comments about that. Too late for the gift... but not too late for me. : )

sneaky77

I have a lightroom question, my camera sets the pictures by date in separate folders, but if it's from the same shoot I would like to transfer them to the lightroom catalog all in the same folder, when I tried this, it still kept the date folders so it put them into the folder I created but then made the date folders inside that folder.. anyway to prevent that from happening?

Joe

canon_sx20is_lcd_4502.jpg

Hey what do you guys think about the Canon SX20 IS?

My friend is going to Alaska for vacation and I recommended this camera to him. Just wanted input from you guys on this cameras picture quality and if there is anything else to check out in the price range?

Joe said:
canon_sx20is_lcd_4502.jpg

Hey what do you guys think about the Canon SX20 IS?

My friend is going to Alaska for vacation and I recommended this camera to him. Just wanted input from you guys on this cameras picture quality and if there is anything else to check out in the price range?

It got a good review in dpreview's recent superzoom comparison test. But being a superzoom, it has a smaller sensor and therefore lesser image quality than cameras with less extreme zoom ability in the same price range, like the Canon S90 and Panasonic LX3. Your friend should look at those unless he really needs the lens length.

shuri

Banned
I bought a nikon d3000, its a decent enough camera, here are a bunch of pics i did with it.. The pics are compressed to protect teh 56ks

yeah2u.jpg

yeahs.jpg

align the wheels straight for a picture of the car! if your going to turn the wheel, turn so at least the wheel is facing and a dirty tire

thats a cool spot though, that wall gives off alot of light and your car is soaking it right up :D

Alright camera GAF. I have come to the conclusion I need a new bag. Right now I have a smaller tamrac bag with a lens case holding my 70-200mm attached. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but it's rickety as hell. I don't like having my 600 dollar lens that exposed.

So I am looking for a bag that can hold my Rebel XS, 50mm prime, 15-55 kit lens, and have room to grow as I add a flash and potentially a macro down the line.

Also, lens wise what should I be looking to pick up next? My line has been the following so far.

15-55 IS
50mm
70-200mm f/4

I'm also wondering if it's time to invest in a consumer flash at this point. I have a pretty decent lightweight tripod, so I am good in that category.

teiresias

sneaky77 said:
I have a lightroom question, my camera sets the pictures by date in separate folders, but if it's from the same shoot I would like to transfer them to the lightroom catalog all in the same folder, when I tried this, it still kept the date folders so it put them into the folder I created but then made the date folders inside that folder.. anyway to prevent that from happening?

On the fullsize import screen (it may be in the smaller version too, I'm not sure), on the right hand side where it shows the directory structure in the Destination pull-down there should be a pull-down labeled "Organize" and you can choose "By Date" or "Into One Folder" - maybe that will do what you want.

Personally, I'm just letting Lightroom organize the actual folder structure by date, but organizing by shoot using the Collections and Collection Sets. If, in the future, I wish to change the actual folder structure how would one go about doing that without screwing up your Lightroom catalog? I don't anticipate doing this, but it's a good thing to know I suppose.

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys quick question!

Sears has the Tamrac Express 6 bag on clearance for 20 bucks.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00354316000P?sid=I0084400010000100383&aff=Y

Would this bag suffice in holding my Rebel XS, 70-200mm lens, 15-55 kit, and 50mm prime? I am really sick and tired of my current set up.

I had this bag for a day before I returned it to Amazon. It was much smaller than I expected (and the one I got was the tan color and wasn't really my style). I think that you'd probably be disappointed by the size as well, considering your current setup.

JLateralus said:
I had this bag for a day before I returned it to Amazon. It was much smaller than I expected (and the one I got was the tan color and wasn't really my style). I think that you'd probably be disappointed by the size as well, considering your current setup.

Ok what I wanted to know. I am actually looking for a bag that I can grow with. I am thinking of adding a flash soon to my setup.

So I guess I am looking for two things right now. What is the best bang for your buck Canon flash for a hobbyist and Camera bag that can fit my 3 lens combination and a possible flash. I'm thinking my next lens may be macro.

cbox

Ok now I think it's time for a macro, anyone have any thoughts on canon vs tamron vs sigma in this regard? I just spend 1500 on my 17-55 and already i'm looking for a new lens :( The 17-55 being my pro use all in one for weddings and my macro for fun.

Borman

Anyone have an opinion on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L ? Im thinking about going without the IS, for the saving of cash, plus most say its unneeded for bright, sunny days, which is when I plan to use it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The IS version also has much improved optics over the normal f/4 (it's sharp as hell), but the regular f/4 is still a great value, IMO.

Borman said:
Anyone have an opinion on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L ? Im thinking about going without the IS, for the saving of cash, plus most say its unneeded for bright, sunny days, which is when I plan to use it.

Just bought it 3 months ago. If you will look back a few pages, you'll see I got it recommended to me too.

I absolutely love it. Some of my best images were taken using it my first and even second times. A word of caution though, once you go to a white lens, your black lens pictures just quite don't look the same.

The ONLY issue you're going to have is low light performance since it is a bit slow. Unfortunately my Rebel XS has really shitty low light performance, but it isn't a dealbreaker by any means. I have no regrets not getting the non-IS version due to budget. Down the road you can sell this and upgrade, they retain their value well.

Some quick examples of shots I took with that lens. First and second times out.

4501764878_2d8eb9bbfe_z.jpg

4501127571_1f8ec4149b_b.jpg

Edit: Shit, I can't remember the format for posting clickable pictures? Can someone help me?

Borman

I've got a T1i, which I believe is, at the least, slightly better in low-light, but like I said, don't really plan on using it on those situations. Pictures look great :p Now to wait on my tuition refund..

Deadlock

I have the 70-200mm f/4L and I love that thing. It's so fun taking pics with it and the IQ is great. I actually bought mine used from the POTN forums and have'nt had any problems with it 2 years later.

Zyzyxxz

Nikon EVIL camera announcement will hopefully happen at Photokina this year. I could really use a compact travel camera to use with my 35mm f.18

The_Inquisitor said:
Just bought it 3 months ago. If you will look back a few pages, you'll see I got it recommended to me too.

I absolutely love it. Some of my best images were taken using it my first and even second times. A word of caution though, once you go to a white lens, your black lens pictures just quite don't look the same.

The ONLY issue you're going to have is low light performance since it is a bit slow. Unfortunately my Rebel XS has really shitty low light performance, but it isn't a dealbreaker by any means. I have no regrets not getting the non-IS version due to budget. Down the road you can sell this and upgrade, they retain their value well.
that lens is imo the best value L series lens (but you are right about the low light performance, which isn't great)

Crys

Does anyone have any pics made with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens?
I'm leaning towards this lens but would like some example shots.

Crys said:
Does anyone have any pics made with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens?
I'm leaning towards this lens but would like some example shots.

I've got that lens and have been enjoying it so far. It's especially great for how cheap it is. Here's a few pics that I've taken with it with clickable links to larger versions:

luoapp

Valkyr Junkie said:
Sony just announced their newest NEX, and it's their interchangeable lens camcorder. The thing looks awesome, but I think they're majorly pricing themselves asking $2k for a consumer-grade camcorder.
[/url]

I think it's for "prosumer" market, just like DSLR 5 years ago.

luoapp

345triangle said:
the 18-200mm lens it comes with is like $1k by itself. as a NEX camera owner, i kind of want to buy the camcorder for that reason alone!

2000usd for the lens and camcorder is definitely a bargain. Sony is very aggressive with their NEX line. I like that:lol

I am most intrigued by this: "...because of its optimized design for video shooting, this high-quality E-mount lens offers smooth, ultra low noise autofocus and iris control. "

345triangle said:
the 18-200mm lens it comes with is like $1k by itself. as a NEX camera owner, i kind of want to buy the camcorder for that reason alone!

Yeah I recall reading that people are hoping for a body-only camcorder as that lens looks to be $800+.

Zyzyxxz

Strong rumors of a new DSLR from Nikon called the D3100 has surfaced. Its suppose to be in between the D3000 and D5000 but with these specs I can see it obsoleting the D5000 while the D3000 is pushed further down.

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/07/15/meet-the-new-nikon-d3100.aspx

specs:

continuous AF in video mode/live view (yes, that’s right – it seems that the continuous AF I mention earlier today will first be introduced in the upcoming Nikon D3100)
new AF points configuration which should cover a very large portion of the viewfinder. Total of 11 or 12 AF points.
10 MP CMOS sensor
HD video: 1080p/24 and 720p 30/24!
AVCHD video codec
In camera video editing capabilities
3fps (same as D3000)
will be sold in a kit with the 18-55mm lens
expected announcement in “few weeks”
no swivel display

If they have a D90 replacement in the works with continuous AF as well then I'm sold.

I've got a question for people in this thread, maybe specifically Mrkgoo.

Does anyone have a Canon macro lens for sale, or will in the next 4-6 months? I am currently debating between getting my first macro or my first flash (430ii).

If so, pm me a price.

Forsete

Valkyr Junkie said:
Sony just announced their newest NEX, and it's their interchangeable lens camcorder. The thing looks awesome, but I think they're majorly pricing themselves asking $2k for a consumer-grade camcorder.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/sony-issues-nex-vg10-first-interchangeable-lens-hd-camcorder/

And a crap quality video showcasing its features.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxJiJH1YsrQ

Dauym, that is the camcorder I have been waiting for. :D
2k USD though? Hmpf. Fotokonijnenberg to the rescue.

Tideas

Banned
aight boys and girls. need recommendation for an entry level dslr with lens stats. i'm planning on buying used, so anything below $400-$500 is awesome

sneaky77

So I been looking at cameras,

Canon XSi
Canon T1i
Canon T2i
Nikon D5000
Nikon d90

the D90 seems like the best out of all those, but then there is the price in consideration, which is also the same issue with the T2i, but from the other 3 what would be recommended, I was thinking maybe getting the body and a better than kit all around lense if possible.. I been looking at reviews and stuff out there, but my brain is on information overload now.

any help, opinions, advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Borman

Ive had the t1i for a year now, and love it. I'd like the T2i for the enhanced video settings, but really, its not a deal breaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom