• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Tideas said:
aight boys and girls. need recommendation for an entry level dslr with lens stats. i'm planning on buying used, so anything below $400-$500 is awesome

If you're buying used you could probably find a Canon 30D (their pro-sumer cameras) for around that much. It doesn't have all the bells and electronic whistles of the modern rebels but its physically robust and more the buttons are more intuitive than the rebel cameras.

Here's a place you can window shop (besides Craigslist and Ebay)

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Di...a-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=2&cc=79269&r=WG&f

If your set on going a little more modern, theres a T1I being sold at Like New conditions for $509. If you want to acquire a bargain body theres a Rebel XT (which is what I use) for $245. None of these come with lenses though but I would suggest getting a low priced zoom lens to go with a body (maybe get the Rebel XT and this Zoom lens).

That may complicate things a bit, there's a camera outfit section (that has bodies being sold with lenses)

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Di...-Outfits?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=1&cc=79269&r=WG&f

Jayayess1190 said:
The LX5 has leaked, announcement is supposed to be this Wednesday:
lx53.png

I wonder why there was no LX4?

I got the Nikkon3000 about a year ago with a 55-200mm extra lense, it came with a
18-55mm lense.

I think Im not using it to its potential, I think I spent a bunch of money on a camera I suck with.
I have got "some" good pics

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_01832.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

iamcenok

Hey what do you guys think of the Pentax K-x? I've been wanting to get a Digital SLR for a while now. I currently shoot with a Canon Rebel SLR(32mm) with stock lens.

I've been eyeing the Nikon D5000, but I started looking into the Pentax, feature wise they seem close-ish. And I found a really good deal on the Pentax. And it would be quite a bit cheaper than the Nikon.

Zyzyxxz

iamcenok said:
Hey what do you guys think of the Pentax K-x? I've been wanting to get a Digital SLR for a while now. I currently shoot with a Canon Rebel SLR(32mm) with stock lens.

I've been eyeing the Nikon D5000, but I started looking into the Pentax, feature wise they seem close-ish. And I found a really good deal on the Pentax. And it would be quite a bit cheaper than the Nikon.

its essentially very similar to a D5000 in that it shares the same D90 sensor IIRC but it has more features such as HDR capture, built in Shake Reduction, and if you are willing to dig around a bit you can use every Pentax lense ever made so it would be a good way to get cheap lenses with great optics.

It uses AA batteries though, so you would have to invest in a couple high quality rechargeable ones, on the plus side it makes it much more convenient to travel with since you don't have to worry about running out of batteries.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I had to pass on a Nikon 40D and I'm kicking myself for it. I'm saving up for a Canon 7D or 50D now. Or whatever camera I can get in trade in the B/S/T thread.

I'm using a Canon Mark III at work and it's pretty cool, but it weighs about 40 pounds.

iamcenok

Zyzyxxz said:
its essentially very similar to a D5000 in that it shares the same D90 sensor IIRC but it has more features such as HDR capture, built in Shake Reduction, and if you are willing to dig around a bit you can use every Pentax lense ever made so it would be a good way to get cheap lenses with great optics.

It uses AA batteries though, so you would have to invest in a couple high quality rechargeable ones, on the plus side it makes it much more convenient to travel with since you don't have to worry about running out of batteries.

Thank you sir! Yeah I was looking at the lenses the offered, and even eying some Super Takumar lenses. I can't wait to get my hands on a DSLR.
I've been looking to see if companies made Li-Ion double A batteries, and they do, but it seems as if they're not rechargeable. That is unless im completely missing something here. Lol

But thanks for the info, I was flip-flopping between getting The DSLR first or getting a Seagull 4A-107 Limited Red/Gold edition camera. But I think you've helped me steer into getting an SLR first.

BlueTsunami

The_Inquisitor said:
What would be a good first macro lens with the best bang for buck. is it the ef-s 60mm?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WK8KS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: Ah, for 100 more I could get the 100mm version.

Now pardon my newness, but macro lenses can also be used as a normal lens too correct? Not necessarily for macro work. (ie sharpness at a distance, ect.)

The EF-S 60/2.8 is a highly lauded Macro lens and so is the 100/2.8 (non L) Macro. But choosing between the two I'd disregard the optics (since both of them are strong) and consider the working distance difference between the two. With the 60mm you'll be very close to your subject at 1:1 vs the 100mm at 1:1. Though with the 60mm you'll have a larger field of view and will generally make the lens more versatile compared to the 100mm when it comes to normal shooting ('cause macro lenses can be used as normal lenses too). Totally up to you as to what you'll feel comfortable with. Oh and the EF-S 60/2.8 obviously only works on Crop cameras (where the 100mm will work on Crop and Full Frame).

Zyzyxxz

iamcenok said:
Thank you sir! Yeah I was looking at the lenses the offered, and even eying some Super Takumar lenses. I can't wait to get my hands on a DSLR.
I've been looking to see if companies made Li-Ion double A batteries, and they do, but it seems as if they're not rechargeable. That is unless im completely missing something here. Lol

But thanks for the info, I was flip-flopping between getting The DSLR first or getting a Seagull 4A-107 Limited Red/Gold edition camera. But I think you've helped me steer into getting an SLR first.

If I was do over again I would have definitely considered a Pentax K-7 since it is priced the same as a D90 which I got but has more features.

The K-X's built in image stabilization/vibration reduction is a good enough reason to choose it over the D5000.

Borman

Canon EF 70-200MM f/4.0L should be here by Friday :D Can't wait to use it with my t1i. What size bag should I be looking at for the T1i, Battery Grip, 50mm, kit lens, and the 70-200mm, plus a few accessories like filters and batteries? Any personal recommendations / pictures?

sneaky77

I saw a good deal used and ended up buying a Canon 50D, I wish I had the cash to get an extra lense but it will have to wait.
I went to the store to try the Nikon d5000 and the Canon T1i and I just felt too small for my hands, they were hard to grip and felt too light to me, maybe I am used to my current camera which is bigger and heavier than those 2, but it felt like I would end up dropping them

Eric WK

Just sold my T1i today. =/ I loved the thing but just didn't have enough time to use it as much as I'd have liked.

Anybody interested in a nifty fifty?

Zyzyxxz

Borman said:
Canon EF 70-200MM f/4.0L should be here by Friday :D Can't wait to use it with my t1i. What size bag should I be looking at for the T1i, Battery Grip, 50mm, kit lens, and the 70-200mm, plus a few accessories like filters and batteries? Any personal recommendations / pictures?

nice, I'm still waiting on those semi-affordable Nikon pro lenses.

I read a rumor somewhere that they too were interested in doing lenses like the Nikkor 70-200mm but as a f/4 and much more affordable.

Eric WK

Marty Chinn said:
I am, how much?

You know, I'm not really sure. I was just planning on watching eBay and Amazon used prices for a few days, maybe a week and getting a feel for pricing. It's still in near-perfect shape. I used it exclusively once I got it, but the camera only ever took a few hundred exposures.

But if you have a price in mind, please, throw it at me.

BlueTsunami said:
The EF-S 60/2.8 is a highly lauded Macro lens and so is the 100/2.8 (non L) Macro. But choosing between the two I'd disregard the optics (since both of them are strong) and consider the working distance difference between the two. With the 60mm you'll be very close to your subject at 1:1 vs the 100mm at 1:1. Though with the 60mm you'll have a larger field of view and will generally make the lens more versatile compared to the 100mm when it comes to normal shooting ('cause macro lenses can be used as normal lenses too). Totally up to you as to what you'll feel comfortable with. Oh and the EF-S 60/2.8 obviously only works on Crop cameras (where the 100mm will work on Crop and Full Frame).

My current lens make-up

18-55mm IS
50mm prime
70-200mm f/4L

Sheesh the 60 almost sounds better cause it would fill in a small gap. :lol But I wouldn't mind the future proofness of the 100mm should I ever take this more seriously and get a full sensor. :lol :lol Plus it's only 100 more.

Edit: How is the 430ii EX flash? I am deciding between my macro lens and the flash right now as my next purchase in December.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
can't say that i would recommend getting a lens because it future proofs your upgrade to a 35mm sensor.
get a lens based on what your using now and if it works well with what you have now.

So, the Canon 50/1.8 is still the best lens for an amateur? I've heard bad things about the build quality. I'm not sure if I should go with the cheap version or just buy the 50/1.4.

cbox

there's nothing wrong with the 1.8, it's an amazing little lens that won't kill your wallet.

I've recommended the lens to all my canon friends and they all love it, regardless of build quality.

Zyzyxxz

Man the likelihood of a D90 replacement announcement seems pretty probably.

I'm hoping that the sensor is a nice big upgrade in the noise performance department.

zhenming

look at d80 vs d90 iso, what a difference, cant wait to see what nikon has in store.

on another note i just upgraded from cheap china flash triggers to these.... whats up with the boxes?! LOL:lol :lol :lol :lol

4814387518_a72aa76b7b_z.jpg

triggers 100% of the time during a test shoot i just did!

4799685574_53e40f4349_z.jpg

Was deciding between these Pocket Wizards or Skyports

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zhenming said:
look at d80 vs d90 iso, what a difference, cant wait to see what nikon has in store.

on another note i just upgraded from cheap china flash triggers to these.... whats up with the boxes?! LOL:lol :lol :lol :lol

triggers 100% of the time during a test shoot i just did!

4799685574_53e40f4349_z.jpg

Good choice. Nice balance between quality and price. I have like 5 sets of these things :lol

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:

The Pterodactyl is for extra awesome.

I just discoverd Samyang lenses and bought the 8mm Fisheye:

21aaeyw.jpg

I had a blast trying it yesterday in Paris:

2ekr9df.png

2ly2z2w.jpg

The dude who sold me the lens, let me try the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and it's was a lot of fun too:

wh15xx.jpg

The progressive bokeh is delicious, thanks to the 8 blades aperture. This is a 100% crop: the main issue with this lens is that you can't achieve focus within 1 meter.

I'm really digging these Samyang lenses: they might be all manual (no AF, no electronic aperture, no electronic at all...) they are really well build, optics are great and they are twice cheaper than what others brand can offer.

Deadlock

The_Inquisitor said:
Sheesh the 60 almost sounds better cause it would fill in a small gap.
I wouldn't get your lens based on filling in the small gap you have there. A few steps forwards or backwards should take care of that just fine.
I have a similar setup to yours, and I've never had any problems with the focal lengths.

My Lenses:
17-40mm
50mm prime
70-200mm

I mostly use the 50mm for low light shooting and the other 2 for my walk around lenses.

brotkasten said:
So, the Canon 50/1.8 is still the best lens for an amateur? I've heard bad things about the build quality. I'm not sure if I should go with the cheap version or just buy the 50/1.4.

I was afraid about the quality, and it's looking/feeling cheap indeed, but the quality of the optic will make you forget it because it's amazingly sharp. Just be carefull with the lens, just as you would treat any other lens, and you won't have any problem.

zhenming said:

holy crap i just want to buy those boxes

Deadlock said:
I wouldn't get your lens based on filling in the small gap you have there. A few steps forwards or backwards should take care of that just fine.
I have a similar setup to yours, and I've never had any problems with the focal lengths.

My Lenses:
17-40mm
50mm prime
70-200mm

I mostly use the 50mm for low light shooting and the other 2 for my walk around lenses.

I keep seeing people have the 17-40mm. Is this the defacto wide angle lens replacement to the kit lens?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So with sales at staples I can get the Olympus e-450 for 350 dollars. Whats the word on this camera? What kind of lenses can I use with it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Deadlock

UnluckyKate said:
it's looking/feeling cheap indeed, but the quality of the optic will make you forget it because it's amazingly sharp. Just be careful with the lens, just as you would treat any other lens, and you won't have any problem.
I agree with this.

The_Inquisitor said:
I keep seeing people have the 17-40mm. Is this the defacto wide angle lens replacement to the kit lens?
No idea, but I like it. I guess I would have to say, that I sometimes wish it had a little bit more length. Still think it's really nice though.

Zyzyxxz

msdstc said:
So with sales at staples I can get the Olympus e-450 for 350 dollars. Whats the word on this camera? What kind of lenses can I use with it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've played with the older E-420 and its not bad, has a nice feel, is lightweight, and pretty easy to use.

I would look into the lenses you would buy first and see how they are.

Its compatible with 4/3rds lenses in the E-mount but not Micro 4/3rds.

I would wait on the near future Nikon announcement since they are due to replace the D40/60/3000 entirely with a brand new DSLR.

Forsete

New tripod, my old smaller Manfrotto 718 Digi got a little bit unstable with the 70-400 lens mounted.

Manfrotto 055 XPRO B + ballhead 498RC2
4818067903_8ec86c2a25_b.jpg

The 718D tripod has more of a video head, so this ball head takes a bit of time to get used to, but I can already see the benefits.
4818691116_45c7fa50e1_b.jpg

Camera mounted. The new quick release plate is very nice.
4818692086_e18249b877_b.jpg

Dörr close up lenses (+1, +2, +4) for 72mm (filter diameter) lenses (not compatible with my Zeiss, which is 77 mm :( ). Got these to bring down the minimum focusing distance from 1 meter on the Samyang 85. After a few quick tests the lenses seem to degrade the IQ severely, something which did not happen when I used close up lenses on my 50mm 1.4, 90 mm 2.8 macro. I'll do some more tests though.
4818068781_04b43bd18d_b.jpg

AnkitT

GODDAMN, looking at this thread I dont know where to begin! :lol

Well, I have a Sony H-50 camera. I figured out all the manual settings that the camera has, and am getting acquainted with the f/x values and shutter speeds. It is a point and shoot, but you can easily manipulate the settings. There is no manual focus, but there is room to add extra lenses, etc. The questions are:
- Do I need to get better lenses to get holyfuckamazing photos? I am not going for pro, photography is a hobby for me(as is evident from my lackluster diplay of "skills" :lol)
- Everyone tells me to get a tripod. Personally, I dont see the need for it, but you guys know better, so do I need a tripod?
- Is there any good site out there to acquaint me with all the mechanics of shooting? I'm not looking for composition/framing. Rather technical aspects of taking a picture.
Thanks!

kaskade

What are your thoughts are polarizing filters? I've seem some example shots on flickr and they seem to improve the images quiet a bit. I was thinking about maying ordering one when I get the canon 50mm lens, whenever I do that.

East Lake

AnkitT said:
- Do I need to get better lenses to get holyfuckamazing photos? I am not going for pro, photography is a hobby for me(as is evident from my lackluster diplay of "skills" :lol)
- Everyone tells me to get a tripod. Personally, I dont see the need for it, but you guys know better, so do I need a tripod?
If I were you I'd start off with one good lens. I'm kinda partial to fixed focal length ones but in general look for large aperture (low in number), nice dof and good build quality. Flickr is actually pretty good for checking out the results people achieve with different lenses aside from the some of the incorrect search results and idiots wrongly tagging their photos. Look at reviews too, not going to recommend anything specific because I really have no idea about Sony's digital cameras or lenses. Don't feel like you have to spend a load of money to get good results though.

Also I wouldn't bother with a tripod until you feel you need one. They're handy but I think you'll know when you come across a situation where you would have liked to have one. I use mine with slow speed films, maybe you'll get into long night exposures sometime, who knows, get one when you'll use it.

Pepto

Banned
Antimatter said:
If I were you I'd start off with one good lens. I'm kinda partial to fixed focal length ones but in general look for large aperture (low in number), nice dof and good build quality.
He doesn't have a DSLR camera. So he can't lenses that are designed for them.

East Lake

Is this in response to the fixed focal length thing? I was just sayin' that's what I prefer, not that he should get one or that Sony has them.

Edit: I read the original lens part pretty broadly. Thought he may have been asking about lenses in general.

captive

Forsete said:
New tripod, my old smaller Manfrotto 718 Digi got a little bit unstable with the 70-400 lens mounted.

Manfrotto 055 XPRO B + ballhead 498RC2
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4818067903_8ec86c2a25_b.jpg[IMG]

The 718D tripod has more of a video head, so this ball head takes a bit of time to get used to, but I can already see the benefits.
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4818691116_45c7fa50e1_b.jpg[IMG]

Camera mounted. The new quick release plate is very nice.
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4818692086_e18249b877_b.jpg[IMG]

Dörr close up lenses (+1, +2, +4) for 72mm (filter diameter) lenses (not compatible with my Zeiss, which is 77 mm :( ). Got these to bring down the minimum focusing distance from 1 meter on the Samyang 85. After a few quick tests the lenses seem to degrade the IQ severely, something which did not happen when I used close up lenses on my 50mm 1.4, 90 mm 2.8 macro. I'll do some more tests though.
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4818068781_04b43bd18d_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]I would be careful with those plates. I use the same plates for a different manfrotto head and I have had my camera fall out of the tripod when carrying it. luckily i always wrap the camera strap around the tripod so it didnt fall to the ground.
I'm definitely getting an acratech ballhead on my next upgrade.

BlueTsunami

AnkitT said:

There are people who can photograph evocative and intriguing shots with their iPhone. Starting out I would put my head down drive forward with what I currently have. Learn about exposure, various lighting (mainly natural lighting at first), composition and the puzzle that is cropping to perfect composition (if not done in camera) and post processing to help your current gear along (you'd be amazed to see what a slight tone curve does to a photograph without a lot of presence in color or contrast).

zhenming

kaskade said:
What are your thoughts are polarizing filters? I've seem some example shots on flickr and they seem to improve the images quiet a bit. I was thinking about maying ordering one when I get the canon 50mm lens, whenever I do that.
No polarizer:
4330039669_04cd278674.jpg

Polarizer:
4625620447_6f43cd7251.jpg

AnkitT

BlueTsunami said:
There are people who can photograph evocative and intriguing shots with their iPhone. Starting out I would put my head down drive forward with what I currently have. Learn about exposure, various lighting (mainly natural lighting at first), composition and the puzzle that is cropping to perfect composition (if not done in camera) and post processing to help your current gear along (you'd be amazed to see what a slight tone curve does to a photograph without a lot of presence in color or contrast).
I started out with the n85 cell camera last year! :lol Thats where I had to use post proc in order to make images look good. But I think that my current camera is good enough to naturally do that, so yeah, i'll probably have to take more of an initiative to find interesting stuff and get the technical stuff down before spending money on lenses and tripods. Thanks again, guys! You are the best!

captive

zhenming said:
No polarizer:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/4330039669_04cd278674.jpg[IMG]

Polarizer:
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/4625620447_6f43cd7251.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
oh come on, the last one is HDR isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom