• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
golem said:
You have some great stuff... notice that most recent ones are from your EP2? I also find myself using my EP1 more and more these days.
Thanks. I use my EP2 like a regular DSLR, I have my 12-60 attached to it which is my defacto landscape lens and fantastic to boot. It actually balances pretty well with the EP2. And then my telephotos stay on my E30.
And when im not out shooting wildlife/landscapes i put the 20mm 1.7 for going out to places like restaurants or just walking around.
Love that thing.

You've got some nice fashion stuff. Looks like a lot of lighting equipment, something I don't think I would have the patience to really do.

The_Inquisitor said:
Ok big question guys and gals.

I am moving from mac back to windows. I need to export my library along with my keywords and edits. What is the best way for exporting my data and loading it back into LR3 in windows?
I believe you can just export the lightroom library and then point LR3 on windows to it once you have it on there.

Fireblend

Banned
So after a lot of browsing reviews, alternatives, etc, I've come to the conclusion that I want to buy a LX3 as my first camera. I'll be traveling to Czech Republic for 6 months in September, and it looks decent enough and light enough as to be able to carry it everywhere and learn some of the basics of photography in the process. What do you guys think? I'm aware the LX5 was announced, but the improvements don't seem to do much for me and the price is still a factor (I can get the LX3 for under $400 at amazon). Take into consideration I'm a complete newbie to photography, so a point-and-shoot seems appropriate for a decent introduction into photography.

Forsete

Thanks Blue.

Two other lenses were also announced.

Sony 85mm f2.8 €250 September
Sony DT 35mm f1.8 €200 October

The Zeiss SSM 24mm f2 is €1250 September. 500mm f4 G is still MIA. ;)

captive

Alucrid said:
Any recommendations for a tripod? Nothing fancy, just one about 25-30 dollars that can support an Xi.
what kind of lenses do you use? whats your total weight of the camera and your heaviest lens?

You shouldn't cheap out on a tripod, its holding your whole camera system. Also eventually you may want a nicer one so then you go do research on a nicer one then spend more money. Its better to buy something nice from the start.

Alucrid

Banned
captive said:
what kind of lenses do you use? whats your total weight of the camera and your heaviest lens?

You shouldn't cheap out on a tripod, its holding your whole camera system. Also eventually you may want a nicer one so then you go do research on a nicer one then spend more money. Its better to buy something nice from the start.

I'm using the Canon Rebel XSi so the body weight is 16.9oz. The only lens I have right now is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS which weighs 7 oz. I hope to get a 300mm telephoto sometime soon, the weight is just a guisstimate though, ~15 oz.

edit: I guess it should be noted that I'm a pretty low-key amateur photographer. Don't do anything too extreme.

Alucrid said:
I'm using the Canon Rebel XSi so the body weight is 16.9oz. The only lens I have right now is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS which weighs 7 oz. I hope to get a 300mm telephoto sometime soon, the weight is just a guisstimate though, ~15 oz.

You don't need something with shock absorbing legs or anything. I have a lightweight borgen tripod that was a hand me down from my uncle. Works just fine.

slamskank

Just ordered the DA Limited 40mm for my Pentax k-x, which will end up looking like this:
pentax-k-x-white-indoor-high-iso-shots-11422930.jpg

Takes great photos, can't wait to try it out.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
slamskank said:
Just ordered the DA Limited 40mm for my Pentax k-x, which will end up looking like this:
pentax-k-x-white-indoor-high-iso-shots-11422930.jpg

Takes great photos, can't wait to try it out.

Om nom nom, Pentax. That looks like a nice light travel setup.

zhenming said:
dam i love white cameras and lenses... wish nikon made some more.....

usually when i buy something with colour options i get "grass is greener" feelings pretty soon, but i'm not feeling that with my white NEX. like i said when i got it, i think white cameras are the new white earphones.

uh, if white earphones were popular in the 50s too.

Guys, if you are doing some video, I would higly recommend the Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens

samyang-85mm.jpg

It's about 250$ but the image quality is really worht the look. It's a full manual lens and the only draw back could be the distance to focus: a meter from the subject at least. It's the perfect evolution from my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and it should really be in any beginners to buy list !

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Please forgive my ignorance in this area, but I was wondering if any cameras out there can capture how a scene looks under the full moon? As in, dark but distinguishable ground and objects, moon-cast shadows, black trees, dark blue sky?

Without flash, I mean. Is it possible?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Andrex said:
Please forgive my ignorance in this area, but I was wondering if any cameras out there can capture how a scene looks under the full moon? As in, dark but distinguishable ground and objects, moon-cast shadows, black trees, dark blue sky?

Use a tripod and a long shutter speed.

Andrex said:

Long exposures on a tripod?

golem

345triangle said:
panasonic announce 3D lens for micro four thirds

world implodes
Sounds like cameras will need a firmware update for these.. hopefully Olympus is on the ball, interested in how it looks

Zyzyxxz

UnluckyKate said:
Guys, if you are doing some video, I would higly recommend the Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens

It's about 250$ but the image quality is really worht the look. It's a full manual lens and the only draw back could be the distance to focus: a meter from the subject at least. It's the perfect evolution from my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and it should really be in any beginners to buy list !

It's been on my buy list for quite some time, but where do you see it for $250?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apparently Nikon is rumored to show the new entry-level D3100 on August 19. Just at a time when I'm looking around for entry-level DLSRs. Will watch the reviews for this closely.

The D3100 is believed to not only catch up to the features of the D5000 and D90 but to overtake both of them in some areas, even with a lower price. It may have a CMOS sensor instead of the less powerful CCD and would use continuous autofocusing whenever it needs a live view, such as in movie capture. Video itself may scale up to 1080p, and it would have at least the 11-point AF system of the D90. The lenses would involve an 85mm f1.4 prime, a 24-120mm f4 zoom, an 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 telephoto and an 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 intended for full-frame cameras like the D700.

I was seriously considering the D5000 too. This is awesome. :D

zhenming

UnluckyKate said:

i dont think this is a beginners lens at all. a bargain lens, yes.

Nameless

I ordered a t2i online yesterday. Right now I'm looking for a good battery grip. There are a couple of 3rd party/aftermarket grips that people seem to have had good experiences with. I'm wondering, though, what would GAF suggest? The differences seem minimal between the 1st & 3rd party grips, and getting one for less would allow me to put more $$$ towards glass, which is my main priority.

So, yeah, yay or nay as far as non-canon grips go?

Zyzyxxz

Samyamg is rumored to have a 35mm F/1.4 in the works. Unless its super cheap I dont't see why I would get it over the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Zyzyxxz said:
Samyamg is rumored to have a 35mm F/1.4 in the works. Unless its super cheap I dont't see why I would get it over the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4

I think if the same strengths imparted on the 85/1.4 are translated to the 35mm it'll be a nice bang for the buck. Their 14/2.8 offering is supposed to be head to head with the 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S @ 14mm as far as resolution and it has relatively nice bokeh for that focal length. It goes for around $500. So it should be exciting to see if the 35mm actually delivers.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Nameless said:
I ordered a t2i online yesterday. Right now I'm looking for a good battery grip. There are a couple of 3rd party/aftermarket grips that people seem to have had good experiences with. I'm wondering, though, what would GAF suggest? The differences seem minimal between the 1st & 3rd party grips, and getting one for less would allow me to put more $$$ towards glass, which is my main priority.

So, yeah, yay or nay as far as non-canon grips go?

Get the Opteka grips. They're made in the same factory as Canon's grips just minus the Canon branding on the grip and the Canon price.

Nameless

Great King Bowser said:
Get the Opteka grips. They're made in the same factory as Canon's grips just minus the Canon branding on the grip and the Canon price.

Hmm. Thanks but I'm not finding an Opteka grip for the t2i, only for the t1i & xsi.

East Lake

I too am a Zeiss whore. Just got my Bessa in the mail today, can't wait to try it out.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4854804649_3a43d6afd7_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4854804493_a16ca9a9a6_o.png

BlueTsunami said:
Found out about this today...

The Longest Photographic Exposures in History
http://itchyi.squarespace.com/thelatest/2010/7/20/the-longest-photographic-exposures-in-history.html

Left a pin hole camera expose for 34 months during the deconstruction and construction of buildings
Awesome!

East Lake

It's the 2.0 Planar. Sonnar is just too much for me to stomach right now, the 350 or so price difference got me. :lol

That's ok though, the convenience of a fast aperture is nice but I want to try and stay away from that monster bokeh look, if possible. It can look nice at times that's for sure though...

captive

for anyone with an amazon card and or is in the market for new gear. For the whole month of August Amazon is offering 12 months no interest financing on select photography equipment.
The 35-100 f2.0 was tempting me but i'm saving for the 300f2.8

not that i condone financing a hobby...

zhenming

captive said:
for anyone with an amazon card and or is in the market for new gear. For the whole month of August Amazon is offering 12 months no interest financing on select photography equipment.
The 35-100 f2.0 was tempting me but i'm saving for the 300f2.8

not that i condone financing a hobby...
i hate opening up credit cards just for deals like these.... :( I want that nikon 70-200mm vr II !!

Not sure if this is the thread for this but...

I'm looking to shoot an extremely low-budget horror film, it's going to have a handheld/voyeuristic look to it and run for about 75-80 minutes. Are there any good cameras out there for this sort of thing, something that would be relatively "cheap" maybe in the ballpark of $2,000 or so? I know that probably sounds kind of weird, I just wasn't sure if anyone knew of any specialty cameras built for that kind of look or not. I've spent all my time writing and haven't really looked into equipment yet so I'm obviously not too caught up on the camera scene. Are Canon XL's still the "go-to" cameras for low budget independent on the fly filmmaking? :lol

Plus I think, if I got some info on some cameras that would be well-suited for my needs, I could seek out sample shots and get better ideas of the kind of imagery I'd be able to capture which in turn, oddly enough, would help shape the script a bit better.

captive

brandonh83 said:

I'm looking to shoot an extremely low-budget horror film, it's going to have a handheld/voyeuristic look to it and run for about 75-80 minutes. Are there any good cameras out there for this sort of thing, something that would be relatively "cheap" maybe in the ballpark of $2,000 or so? I know that probably sounds kind of weird, I just wasn't sure if anyone knew of any specialty cameras built for that kind of look or not. I've spent all my time writing and haven't really looked into equipment yet so I'm obviously not too caught up on the camera scene. Are Canon XL's still the "go-to" cameras for low budget independent on the fly filmmaking? :lol

Plus I think, if I got some info on some cameras that would be well-suited for my needs, I could seek out sample shots and get better ideas of the kind of imagery I'd be able to capture which in turn, oddly enough, would help shape the script a bit better.
i think the general responses here are going to say
Panasonic GH1
Olympus Ep2 or EPL1
Canon 7D
Canon 5dmkII
Nikon and Sony also have some DSLRs with video but im less familiar with them.

to my knowledge Panasonic is the only one with multiple silent focusing lenses(optimized for video) so far.

as for actual video cameras i haven't a clue.

captive said:
i think the general responses here are going to say
Panasonic GH1
Olympus Ep2 or EPL1
Canon 7D
Canon 5dmkII
Nikon and Sony also have some DSLRs with video but im less familiar with them.

to my knowledge Panasonic is the only one with multiple silent focusing lenses(optimized for video) so far.

as for actual video cameras i haven't a clue.

I'm not a videographer, but AFAIK the main thing that attracts people to using still cameras for video is that their large sensors allow you to limit depth of field, giving more of a traditional cinematic look. 'Voyeuristic' look to me implies small sensor imagery with large depth of field, like camcorders, security cameras, webcams, and so forth. A lot of people use DSLRs for video to avoid this look, so if you're actively seeking it out, they might not be the best option.

brandonh83 said:

Not sure what exactly you mean by "voyeuristic" exactly, but chaostrophy is right about the fact that shooting video on an SLR is going to give you an extremely tight field of view, which may be what you're looking for. Since you mentioned you're going for the handheld look, if you get a regular camera you're going to need to look into some additional accessories otherwise handheld footage while moving may come out horribly.

Something you may want to look into is the Sony NEX-VG10 which is coming out next month. It's right at your price point of $2000, and comes with an 18-200mm lens. It's going to be a lot more ergonomic for shooting video, and has a really good built-in mic with the ability to add an external. Here's a promo film Sony shot to showcase the camcorder that should showcase the kind of look the thing is capable of capturing.

http://vimeo.com/13344064

This other promo/reveal video actually shows you which lenses were used for each shot to better help you out. There are only going to be 3 lenses initially available with the camcorder, but fortunately it comes with the most expensive one and the other 2 are pretty inexpensive. Some of the Alpha lenses used with the adapter are pretty pricey, so don't pay attention to those clips :lol

http://vimeo.com/13333374

Awesome info, many thanks. :D

And double thanks for the clip. By voyeuristic I just meant like, a lot of tracking/POV shots, I'm definitely after a more claustrophobic feel but that could change if I'm not happy with the dailies.

golem

The Sony doesnt have 24p. No thanks.

Shooting something to look cheap and handheld? Why not just use a cheap and handheld camera?

Otherwise for filming I would recommend the 550d for ~$1k with an assortment of lenses and accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom