• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amusement park clip shot on the 550d looks really good, I don't know, I wasn't really wanting to shoot in 16:9 but if I actually got one of these I'm not too sure how much I would be able to help myself :lol

Forsete

Sony has no DSLR with video, yet. Only the new NEX3/NEX5 cameras can capture HD video, but they lack manual control in video mode for that so I wouldn't recommend them for that purpose. However NEX-VG10 (camcorder version of the NEX) is coming in september, which is looking very nice indeed and it has all the manual controls, and proper autofocus with E-lenses.

Panasonic GH1 seems to have a pretty good video mode otherwise, manual control, no big issue with rolling shutter/jello and autofocus.

captive said:
for anyone with an amazon card and or is in the market for new gear. For the whole month of August Amazon is offering 12 months no interest financing on select photography equipment.
The 35-100 f2.0 was tempting me but i'm saving for the 300f2.8

not that i condone financing a hobby...

Killer zoom lens, but that's way too much money for just a hobby. But if one good samaritan would buy me the same lens, I'd be sure to keep it and use it well rather than selling it. :D

In the meantime, I'll stick with the consumer and pro stuff for (micro)4/3. Top Pro will remain a dream.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Canon or m4/3rds Camera with adapted lens (be it M42, Contax/Yashica or Nikon Ai(s)) seems to be a good route to take. You'll have complete control over the aperture and manual focus will also be much better.

You guys are a great help. I've did camerawork for college films but I don't actually know a whole lot about them, well, aside from the XL-1 which I used and even that's been a few years back. I mainly do editing and screenwriting but I've decided here lately that I really need to get on the camera scene.

Zyzyxxz

Forsete said:
Sony has no DSLR with video, yet. Only the new NEX3/NEX5 cameras can capture HD video, but they lack manual control in video mode for that so I wouldn't recommend them for that purpose. However NEX-VG10 (camcorder version of the NEX) is coming in september, which is looking very nice indeed and it has all the manual controls, and proper autofocus with E-lenses.

Panasonic GH1 seems to have a pretty good video mode otherwise, manual control, no big issue with rolling shutter/jello and autofocus.

They will soon.

Recently they have been working on some new sensors which will likely be used on the new Nikons and Pentax as well.

Supposedly they will do 1080p recording with continuous autofocusing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Instigator said:
Killer zoom lens, but that's way too much money for just a hobby. But if one good samaritan would buy me the same lens, I'd be sure to keep it and use it well rather than selling it. :D

In the meantime, I'll stick with the consumer and pro stuff for (micro)4/3. Top Pro will remain a dream.
ill probably get it eventually. I have several paid portrait jobs coming up and the lens would be a super help.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
brandonh83 said:
The amusement park clip shot on the 550d looks really good, I don't know, I wasn't really wanting to shoot in 16:9 but if I actually got one of these I'm not too sure how much I would be able to help myself :lol
DSLRs need quite a bit of support gear to do video the right way. Things like shoulder supports for steady handheld footage without rolling shutter effects, viewfinders/external monitors to monitor focus, follow focuses to give you more precise control over the rather limited focus wheels on most Canon EOS lenses (can't speak for Nikon, although you can use old manual primes easily I believe), and separate sound recorders to get past the very limited audio controls you have built-in (Zoom H4N is great for this). Sound is probably the biggest shortcoming right off the bat, IMO.

This isn't to say they aren't the best tool for the job, as the image quality, when shot well, rivals much more expensive cameras easily, but you need to consider the additional equipment when thinking about using DSLRs for filmmaking.

BlueTsunami

Here's a good link for you Landscape shooters who don't utilize Hyperfocal focusing (or any form of photography)...

http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/hyperfocal.html

I personally would always focus to infinity and stop the lens down to the desired aperture. I knew about Hyperfocal focusing but the fact that I wasn't fully utilizing the Depth of Field alloted to me at a given f-stop didn't really seem important to me (it does now). Here's the excerpt taken from the link...

Hyperfocal Focusing

Hyperfocal focusing is based on the the fact that depth of field typically extends 2/3 behind the point focused on and 1/3 in front, but if you focus on infinity, the depth of field behind is completely wasted. You can make use of it if you refocus, putting the infinity mark (an "8" on its side) on the focusing ring against the aperture set on the depth of field scale (this is known as the hyperfocal point). If, for example, you set a 28mm lens to f/11 and focus on infinity, everything from about 9 feet (2.5m) to infinity will be sharp. Align the infinity mark against the f/11 position to give hyperfocal focusing and the depth of field now extends from 4 feet (1.2m) to infinity, which is essential if you want foreground interest to be pin-sharp. If you set your lens to f/16 and rotate the focus barrel to place the infinity mark over the "16" position, then reading the scales shows that everything between just under 3 feet to infinity will be sharp.

Most modern Auto-Focus lenses are horrible in regards to having precise markers, which is unfortunate. But if you have a good quality lens (like Canon's L lenses or a retro Manual Focus lens) it should have the appropriate distance markers.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
Hey guys...is this a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120278

With the telephoto lens it comes out to $680 (combo deal). I've been looking at this camera for over a year now and really want to get it before the U.S. Open starts at the end of the month.

BTW...this will be my first DSLR camera.

Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

its not a bad deal but if you are interested in shooting video at all you may want to wait for Nikon's D3100 announcement on the 19th which is suppose to be their replacement for the D40/60/3000 which may be a better deal depending on the price they release it at.

CiSTM

Banned
Don't really know if this is right place to ask but didn't find the official camera thread so I'll throw my question here.

I'm in market for mirrorless camera (I need something light and small). I have read plenty of reviews and decided it will be one of these but don't really know which one. Does camera GAF have some impressions any of these cameras ? I would love to hear them out.

1. DMC-G2
2. Olympus E-P2
3. NEX-5

Zyzyxxz

golem said:
I doubt the D3100 will be $500..

true but if its in the $680 range which is what hes willing to spend that may be a better investment, refurbished Nikkor 55-200 VR can be had quite cheaply later on.

I'm going to be taking a trip to Maui and I was thinking of looking into getting another lens for my trip. Currently I have a Canon T1i with the stock 18-55mm and I've got a 55-250mm lens. I'm looking for something that'll let me take great pictures of scenery, waterfalls, and stuff like that. Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe a wide angle lens or a prime lens but not quite sure yet.

Fireblend

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Here's another link for ya'll, lots of good focused articles on various techniques and shooting styles...

http://www.amateursnapper.com/
Thanks! My LX3 will be arriving most likely on Tuesday and I can't help to start playing around with it, just read most of the tutorials and although they're nothing I hadn't already read elsewhere, I love how they're short and to the point, bookmarked.

golem

CiSTM said:
2. Olympus E-P2
Couple people here with E-P2s, GF1s and E-P1s (me). Seems to have become our primary cameras for a few of us (also have a 7d and 450d). Great system imo

Also some pretty thorough impressions of the NEX a few pages back

CiSTM said:
Don't really know if this is right place to ask but didn't find the official camera thread so I'll throw my question here.

I'm in market for mirrorless camera (I need something light and small). I have read plenty of reviews and decided it will be one of these but don't really know which one. Does camera GAF have some impressions any of these cameras ? I would love to hear them out.

1. DMC-G2
2. Olympus E-P2
3. NEX-5
i'm a NEX user. i'd say NEX is the way to go if you're upgrading from a compact, but micro four thirds might be better if you're downsizing from an SLR.

Ovid

Zyzyxxz said:
its not a bad deal but if you are interested in shooting video at all you may want to wait for Nikon's D3100 announcement on the 19th which is suppose to be their replacement for the D40/60/3000 which may be a better deal depending on the price they release it at.
Nah, no video. Just regular photography.

captive

CiSTM said:

1. DMC-G2
2. Olympus E-P2
3. NEX-5
could you give us more idea's on what you're looking to do with it? I think they are all about equal. Except that the G2 is shaped more like a DSLR whereas the PENs and NEX are more like range finders. And that m4/3rds is better if your more familiar with DSLR and NEX if your more accustomed to point and shoots.

I use my EP2 as two different types as a small walk around with the 20mm f1.7 and when im out shooting with my telephotos i stick my 12-60 on it.

I have a lot of recent pictures taken with my EP2 on my flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wryphotography/

captive

Im feeling like i want to attach another manual focus lens to my EP2. I have a 50mm f2 minolta. Can anyone(BlueTsunami, looking at you :p) recommend me anything in the 38-85 range fast-ish anywhere from f1.4 to f2.
I like the Pen F lenses but they are so damn expensive because they are so rare and now people want them more because of m4/3rds.

BlueTsunami

captive said:
Im feeling like i want to attach another manual focus lens to my EP2. I have a 50mm f2 minolta. Can anyone(BlueTsunami, looking at you :p) recommend me anything in the 38-85 range fast-ish anywhere from f1.4 to f2.
I like the Pen F lenses but they are so damn expensive because they are so rare and now people want them more because of m4/3rds.

My time to shine! :lol

Here are some notable lenses

Zeiss

Zeiss 45 F2.8 TESSAR T*MM $265.00 (not quite as fast as you want but its a Zeiss and its a pancake lens)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Contax-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-CX06010900232N?r=FE

50 F1.4 PLANAR T*MM $325.00 (a bit expensive but exceptional build quality, interesting drawing style wide open and extremely sharp stopped down)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Contax-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-CX060090105440?r=FE

Nikon

50 F1.2 AIS $465.00 (goes for over $600 New, I believe. Great build quality, very fast at a reasonable price)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK069990318200?r=FE

85 F1.4 AIS $569.00 (Not too familiar with the Nikon 85mm's but I'm assuming they're of good quality build wise and optically)
http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35...h-Lenses?s=1&bcode=NK&ccode=6&cc=55957&r=WG&f

Pentax

50 F1.4 SMC $139.00 (highly regarded lens. Some think you're getting a Zeiss at half the price with the Takumars and they have great bokeh quality)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Screwmount-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-PS060108000070?r=FE

Unfortunately lenses with focal lengths above and below 50mm that are fast are pretty expensive. The Zeiss 85/1.4 goes for around $700. They also have a 35/1.4 lens but its been retailing for around $1000.

With Nikon they also have a 35/1.4 but its also very expensive. Corners are supposed to be very bad wide open but center sharpness is supposed to be good. The crop level of the m4/3rds camera should make great use of the center sharpness wide open.

With classic Pentax (or Takumar) lenses, there is an 85/1.9 that is supposed to be phenomenal but I think these lenses are sort of rare. Looking on ebay it seems to be going for $400. Old world build quality with the Takumars so very good in that regard. Just a note there's Takumars, Super Takumars and Super Multi Coated Takumars (or SMC). The names denote the coating on the lens, from no coating (Takumar) to single coating (Super Takumar) to multi coated (SMC).

There's also cheaper Russian lenses, one being the MC Jupiter-9 2/85mm and the Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5. These you have to hunt on eBay and the prices are varying. I'm not too sure about the Jupiter-9 but the Helios-40-2 is supposed to have a unique drawing style. Not the sharpest lens but its supposed to be a great portrait lens.

Finally there's the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 85/1.4 that is supposed to be one of the best 85mm's as far as wide open performance goes. I think you can get it new for around $350?

Zyzyxxz

BlueTsunami said:
Finally there's the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 85/1.4 that is supposed to be one of the best 85mm's as far as wide open performance goes. I think you can get it new for around $350?

$260 off Amazon for the Rokinon 85mm

Ember128

If you mess around with the 7D in the 720p 60fps mode and then upload it to youtube, it might end up looking something like this. There was a storm, and my dog got a little excited, but the thunder barked louder, so she didn't want to stay outside.

Link here.

Just got my Canon 50mm 1.4f in, getting used to the non IS lens, Im having to adjust my technique to get a sharp picture, I think I'll be using my tripod a lot more :lol

So far so good though, really liking it a lot.

ChryZ

captive said:
I consider to invest in some m mount glass. Bodies will come and go, excellent glass can almost last forever and even retain its value. I've been using a Canon newFD 50mm/1.4 on my GF1 for half a year now and it's amazing how this 30 years old lens is holding up. Surely m4/3 wouldn't be able to fully utilize full frame glass, but down the line one might end up with a full frame cam.

Thread of M lenses on Sony's NEX:
http://www.hklfc.com/forum/?o=topic&act=show&id=48414

M Mount Lenses with Micro 4/3 Bodies:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/m_mount_with_mft/pool/with/4231685436/

captive

BlueTsunami said:
I was extremely surprised at the results of this comparison...

Canon 7D vs Hacked Panasonic Gh1 - 1080P 24fps versus comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BMugSQl1I&feature=player_embedded
I'm not that surprised. I've been saying in this thread even the unhacked GH1 held its own against cameras 2 3 or 4 times its price. I have no interest in video but it would seem to me that the Gh1 and other m4/3rds cameras have some very good advantages like double the dept of field. You can shoot at larger apertures under lower lighting and still get enough depth of field to get something fully in focus.

ChryZ said:
I consider to invest in some m mount glass. Bodies will come and go, excellent glass can almost last forever and even retain its value. I've been using a Canon newFD 50mm/1.4 on my GF1 for half a year now and it's amazing how this 30 years old lens is holding up. Surely m4/3 wouldn't be able to fully utilize full frame glass, but down the line one might end up with a full frame cam.

Thread of M lenses on Sony's NEX:
http://www.hklfc.com/forum/?o=topic&act=show&id=48414

M Mount Lenses with Micro 4/3 Bodies:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/m_mount_with_mft/pool/with/4231685436/
Yea... no way im spending the coin on leica glass. I'll just get the pro Zuiko glass which has AF, is cheaper and just as good.

@BlueTsunami thanks for the links im going to do some more research i cant seem to decide on what i want.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Looking for a EF 50-200mm (or close to it) lens for my Canon XTi, preferably with a low f-stop.

It's been a while since I had my photography class, so I'm assuming I am looking for a telephoto zoom lens. Any suggestions and price ranges would be appreciated greatly!

reilo said:
Looking for a EF 50-200mm (or close to it) lens for my Canon XTi, preferably with a low f-stop.

It's been a while since I had my photography class, so I'm assuming I am looking for a telephoto zoom lens. Any suggestions and price ranges would be appreciated greatly!

There is also the EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS that you can find online for about $200-250. The quality is very good for the price, but you're obviously losing some speed. Also, you mentioned EF, and this is EF-S so you can only use it on crop bodies. Just wanted to throw it out there though!

Forsete

Pellicle cameras incoming?

SOny.jpg

EVF?

Should be video-oriented. Might pass on the NEX-VG10 if these pellicle cameras can deliver here (autofocus, full controll over video (shutter, aperture), and if it can be done - IS with the sensor).

Forsete

Valkyr Junkie said:
Has anyone made a guess on what the expected pricing on the A33/A55 pellicle cameras will be?

Not from what I have seen. Around A550 price point for the A55 maybe?
Should be less considering no moving mirror and no prims? :p

Forsete said:
Not from what I have seen. Around A550 price point for the A55 maybe?
Should be less considering no moving mirror and no prims? :p

Interesting. I was thinking they'd be a good bit more than the A500/550 since these cameras will apparently utilize the same sensors as the A560/580 when they come out. It would certainly be interesting if these new cameras come in at a dramatically lower price than the NEX-VG10 given all the talk about how great the video on them will ideally be. I guess we'll know soon enough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
JLateralus said:
There is also the EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS that you can find online for about $200-250. The quality is very good for the price, but you're obviously losing some speed. Also, you mentioned EF, and this is EF-S so you can only use it on crop bodies. Just wanted to throw it out there though!
Great to know! I was wondering what EF versus EF-S meant.

reilo said:
Great to know! I was wondering what EF versus EF-S meant.
Yes, I understand that if you tried to put an EF-S lens on a full-frame body, the back of the lens projects too far into the camera and interferes with the mirror as it flips up.

Fireye

tarius1210 said:
Hey guys...is this a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120278

With the telephoto lens it comes out to $680 (combo deal). I've been looking at this camera for over a year now and really want to get it before the U.S. Open starts at the end of the month.

BTW...this will be my first DSLR camera.

Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a Rebel XS kit back in January for about $400ish from Newegg. $499 is the retail for the kit (I'm pretty sure), so it's not really a GOOD price. There's talk of a new XS level camera coming from Canon. That, in addition to the rumored Nikon D3100, it would do you well to wait a month or so to buy your first camera.

As to the abilities of the Digital Rebel XS, it's a perfectly fine camera. If you think you'll be shooting in a lot of low-light situations, you may want to reconsider the choice ,and go with the T1i or T2i.

Forsete

Valkyr Junkie said:
Interesting. I was thinking they'd be a good bit more than the A500/550 since these cameras will apparently utilize the same sensors as the A560/580 when they come out. It would certainly be interesting if these new cameras come in at a dramatically lower price than the NEX-VG10 given all the talk about how great the video on them will ideally be. I guess we'll know soon enough.

VG10 price is with the ~800USD lens. But yes I hope they will cost less than VG10 even without counting the lens.
I dont think the sensor will add that much more to the cost (your talking about the Sony APS-C HD CMOS right?) as it and all its variants will probably be the standard sensor from now on.

I am wait and see with these video DSLRs. I would much prefer to have the camcorder ergonomics instead of the awkward DSLR design (when it comes to filming). But proper A-mount support (still MIA with NEX) could bring me over, still there are the issues with IS and how they will solve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom