• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee N

Membre
So, after having been out of stock for a while my Canon EOS 550D (Kiss X4/Rebel T2i) finally shipped today. If all goes well I'll be a DSLR owner starting tomorrow...

I got the 18-55mm kit with a camera bag and 8gb sd card, then I also got the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and a cheap remote trigger. This should hopefully keep me going for a while.

:D

Danielsan

Dear Camera GAF.
At the start of this year I really wanted to get into photography, but due to budget contraints I didn't follow through on it. Now I'm itching to buy a camera again and I could really use your advice.
Sadly budget is still very much an issue, maybe even more so than before.

I'm looking to spend no more than €600 out of my own pocket on the initial purchase (which may already be stretching my current budget).
I do however have an additional €250 worth in gift certificates at this retailer: www.bol.com.
Their prices are definitely not the cheapest options on the net in The Netherlands though.
List of best deals per DSLR camera in The Netherlands

The Canon 500D and the Nikon D5000 are probably the two cameras that best fit my budget constraint. However, I'm kinda worried that they might not cut it in the long run.

Options I'm looking at:

Canon EOS 500D + EF-S 18-55mm IS
- €579

* Note: apparently you now get a free 1 year subscription of Zoom (photography magazine) + 4 online photography courses with this order.

Nikon D5000 Kit + 18-55 mm II
- €519

Nikon D5000 Kit + 18-55 mm VR
- €569

Which camera do you think is the better choice, Nikon D5000 or Canon 500D?
Would I be better of saving up for a Nikkon D90 or Canon 550D?
How much better is the D5000 compared to the cheaper D3000?

Initially I will probably be shooting with the kit lens until I can afford something better.
I will probably also have to purchase some memory, a carrying bag and a tripod along side the camera. As well as this:

23jyv6.jpg

Thanks in advance!

VNZ

Lee N said:
So, after having been out of stock for a while my Canon EOS 550D (Kiss X4/Rebel T2i) finally shipped today. If all goes well I'll be a DSLR owner starting tomorrow...

I got the 18-55mm kit with a camera bag and 8gb sd card, then I also got the EF 50mm f/1.8 II and a cheap remote trigger. This should hopefully keep me going for a while.

:D
Really good start, it's always nice to see when people throw in a prime lens right of the bat.

Are you already using some photo management app? If not, I'd recommend you to start trying out the different options immediately. Lightroom, Aperture, Bibble Pro, DxO Optics Pro and Capture One are all good.

(Yo, is that Lee N with an A, btw?)

Lee N

Membre
VNZ said:
Really good start, it's always nice to see when people throw in a prime lens right of the bat.

Are you already using some photo management app? If not, I'd recommend you to start trying out the different options immediately. Lightroom, Aperture, Bibble Pro, DxO Optics Pro and Capture One are all good.

(Yo, is that Lee N with an A, btw?)
So it arrived today.

Yeah, the nifty fifty is too cheap to pass up in my opinion. Granted, it feels cheap too but in the end it's all about the pictures - and I do like the results.

Regarding post processing, I've downloaded the free Lightroom 3.2 Release Candidate from Adobe Labs to get me started. I don't have a Mac so sadly Aperture of the question but I'll take a look at the other alternatives for sure. I also found Oloneo PhotoEngine while browsing for free alternatives a while back but I have yet to try it. It's a lot to take in so I think I'll take a couple of days to try and get acquainted with Lightroom before moving on to other options.

And yes, that would be me. Long time no see...

Ovid

Zyzyxxz said:
its not a bad deal but if you are interested in shooting video at all you may want to wait for Nikon's D3100 announcement on the 19th which is suppose to be their replacement for the D40/60/3000 which may be a better deal depending on the price they release it at.
Thanks guys. I decided to get the Canon EOS Rebel XS w/ the 55 - 250mm telephoto lens. Got through eCrater for $640. Love the camera so far but I have alot to learn.

VNZ

Lee N said:
So it arrived today.

Yeah, the nifty fifty is too cheap to pass up in my opinion. Granted, it feels cheap too but in the end it's all about the pictures - and I do like the results.
Yes, the cheap plastic look perfectly fits the typical SLR of today. :) No really, I think it matches my Canon 500D really well. It's a really fine lens, and I would've used it a lot more if it weren't for that charming Sigma 30mm f/1.4 that usually sits on my camera.

Lee N said:
Regarding post processing, I've downloaded the free Lightroom 3.2 Release Candidate from Adobe Labs to get me started. I don't have a Mac so sadly Aperture of the question but I'll take a look at the other alternatives for sure. I also found Oloneo PhotoEngine while browsing for free alternatives a while back but I have yet to try it. It's a lot to take in so I think I'll take a couple of days to try and get acquainted with Lightroom before moving on to other options.
Lightroom 3 is what I use as well. Before the update to 3.0 I used to get tempted by new versions of other software, and tried out trials of most of them. But now with LR3 and its lens correction features I feel it's pretty complete. Unfortunelately, all new features and the new (amazing) RAW engine has made it a bit slow. And I would still love full per-channel curves adjustments.

Lee N said:
And yes, that would be me. Long time no see...
Ah cool; hola! :) The photo threads here is basically as close I get to gaming nowadays. I look forward to see your pictures here!

I hope in the next RC for Lightroom they include some geotagging features similar to how it is implemented in Picasa. I know it's probably too "consumerish" for Adobe, but since LR3 allows for slideshow creations I think integrating a map into that could be pretty nifty.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Anyone with a Lumix GF1 care to share some images and impressions, especially with the stock 20mm lens?

I would really appreciate it.

xxracerxx said:
Anyone with a Lumix GF1 care to share some images and impressions, especially with the stock 20mm lens?

I would really appreciate it.
i've had one for about 3-4 months now. now my 7d hardly gets any use unless i know that i'm going to be taking a lot of pictures. my gf1 i'll carry around with me pretty much anywhere. it's not quite big enough to fit in a pants pocket unfortunately, but i haven't owned a point and shoot in like 5 years so it's not much of a change for me. with my 7d, i wouldn't really carry it around with me unless i knew i would be taking pictures. this i'll carry around just in case. obviously i'm taking more pictures because it is pretty new to me, but i think in the first 4 months i'd say i got more than twice as much use out of the gf1 than my 7d.

menus are pretty intuitive, and manual features are pretty easy to use. would be nice for a thumb wheel but there is a dial that is very accessible as well. not quite as fast to use that as the thumb wheel but still plenty effective. there is a dedicated iso button, af/mf button.

low light performance with the 20 f/1.7 is pretty awesome. my only other lens nearly this fast is my canon 50mm f/1.8 and that isn't very sharp wide open, whereas this is pretty damn sharp. ISO performance on the other hand is not great, and you can see some noticeable noise at 400. i'll still use it up to around 400, but higher than that i think verges on unusable (and some don't like it any higher than 200). 800 is definitely pretty ugly looking. the integrated flash is uh, functional...i try not to use it, but it gets the job done if you need it. haven't had a chance to use any external flashes yet.

before getting this camera i didn't use prime lenses very much, and i actually like that it forces me to move around, think more about what i'm shooting, etc.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
bggrthnjsus said:
i've had one for about 3-4 months now. now my 7d hardly gets any use unless i know that i'm going to be taking a lot of pictures. my gf1 i'll carry around with me pretty much anywhere. it's not quite big enough to fit in a pants pocket unfortunately, but i haven't owned a point and shoot in like 5 years so it's not much of a change for me. with my 7d, i wouldn't really carry it around with me unless i knew i would be taking pictures. this i'll carry around just in case. obviously i'm taking more pictures because it is pretty new to me, but i think in the first 4 months i'd say i got more than twice as much use out of the gf1 than my 7d.

menus are pretty intuitive, and manual features are pretty easy to use. would be nice for a thumb wheel but there is a dial that is very accessible as well. not quite as fast to use that as the thumb wheel but still plenty effective. there is a dedicated iso button, af/mf button.

low light performance with the 20 f/1.7 is pretty awesome. my only other lens nearly this fast is my canon 50mm f/1.8 and that isn't very sharp wide open, whereas this is pretty damn sharp. ISO performance on the other hand is not great, and you can see some noticeable noise at 400. i'll still use it up to around 400, but higher than that i think verges on unusable (and some don't like it any higher than 200). 800 is definitely pretty ugly looking. the integrated flash is uh, functional...i try not to use it, but it gets the job done if you need it. haven't had a chance to use any external flashes yet.

before getting this camera i didn't use prime lenses very much, and i actually like that it forces me to move around, think more about what i'm shooting, etc.
are you shooting raw or jpeg? The GF1 should be able to give pretty clean ISO 800. Unless you're pixel peeping, in which case, yes there is visible noise. But i find i don't pixel peep, print anyway and the noise is non existent to ISO 800 and then beyond that its like a nice film grain.

I find on my EP2 and E30 that if i overexpose by .3 or .7 when shooting higher ISO's the noise goes away when you bring exposure back down in post.

golem

Sure, there will be some noise in higher ISOs but the pictures are completely usable on my EP-1

1600 ISO, no NR applied
4798114901_62f6bce60e_b.jpg

Danielsan

Danielsan said:
Dear Camera GAF.
At the start of this year I really wanted to get into photography, but due to budget contraints I didn't follow through on it. Now I'm itching to buy a camera again and I could really use your advice.
Sadly budget is still very much an issue, maybe even more so than before.

I'm looking to spend no more than €600 out of my own pocket on the initial purchase (which may already be stretching my current budget).
I do however have an additional €250 worth in gift certificates at this retailer: www.bol.com.
Their prices are definitely not the cheapest options on the net in The Netherlands though.
List of best deals per DSLR camera in The Netherlands

The Canon 500D and the Nikon D5000 are probably the two cameras that best fit my budget constraint. However, I'm kinda worried that they might not cut it in the long run.

Options I'm looking at:

Canon EOS 500D + EF-S 18-55mm IS
- €579

* Note: apparently you now get a free 1 year subscription of Zoom (photography magazine) + 4 online photography courses with this order.

Nikon D5000 Kit + 18-55 mm II
- €519

Nikon D5000 Kit + 18-55 mm VR
- €569

Which camera do you think is the better choice, Nikon D5000 or Canon 500D?
Would I be better of saving up for a Nikkon D90 or Canon 550D?
How much better is the D5000 compared to the cheaper D3000?

Initially I will probably be shooting with the kit lens until I can afford something better.
I will probably also have to purchase some memory, a carrying bag and a tripod along side the camera. As well as this:

http://i37.tinypic.com/23jyv6.jpg[IMG]

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Anyone?

captive said:
are you shooting raw or jpeg? The GF1 should be able to give pretty clean ISO 800. Unless you're pixel peeping, in which case, yes there is visible noise. But i find i don't pixel peep, print anyway and the noise is non existent to ISO 800 and then beyond that its like a nice film grain.

I find on my EP2 and E30 that if i overexpose by .3 or .7 when shooting higher ISO's the noise goes away when you bring exposure back down in post.
i'm shooting raw. i don't think it's like saturated with noise or anything, but it's definitely enough that i can notice. when i was shopping for a four thirds camera it looked like the ep2 had better ISO performance than the gf1 after 800 or so. i think it's better than my old rebel xt's ISO performance, and is definitely usable in smaller resolutions, but i probably change 70% of anything i take at 800 into black and white. it also depends on what you're shooting though, if are shooting something with a really varied background then it's not very noticeable i'll have to try the overexposure and post compensation thing.

Halvie

Banned
zhenming said:
No polarizer:
4330039669_04cd278674.jpg

Polarizer:
4625620447_6f43cd7251.jpg

sort of a dumb question...but are there any affordable cameras that would be good for taking pics of cars like the bottom photo?

Toss out a couple recommendations if you guys can think of any.

345triangle said:
i don't fully understand what a "translucent camera" is just yet, but i kind of want this a33 thing:

http://sonyalpharumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/a33_nex.jpg[IMG]

that is a nice size![/QUOTE]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellicle_mirror[/url]

Forsete

These pellicle cameras are very exciting. :)

Rumored specs for A55

Price: 900-1000USD
16.7 MP APS-C CMOS
15 point AF system - Rumor says the AF system is like Nikons 3D tracking system
1080i60 (1080p30) AVCHD Video format
Electrical Viewfinder - resolution unknown (1.2MP like NEX-VG10?)
10 fps continuous shooting with AF
ISO100-25600

If the video delivers I might drop my plans for NEX-VG10.

Forsete

345triangle said:
yeah i've read up on them, i'm just not sure how it translates into real world performance gain/exposure loss.

i'm interested to see what sony comes up with, i have plans for the overpriced NEX A-mount adapter but am completely open to being swayed.

1/3 in exposure loss from what I have read, but that was based on the Canon cameras I think.

345triangle said:
yeah i've read up on them, i'm just not sure how it translates into real world performance gain/exposure loss.

i'm interested to see what sony comes up with, i have plans for the overpriced NEX A-mount adapter but am completely open to being swayed.

Aside from the light losses mentioned, the advantages are higher shooting rates and continuous auto-focus while shooting video with liveview.

I'll just be disappointed if the claims of 1080i60/1080p30 as the only video modes are true. So must for being the definitive SLR for shooting video if the capture modes haven't improve upon Sony's current Cybershot cameras. At some point you just need to tell the video camera group to go fuck off.

luoapp

345triangle said:
gain: no mirror shock/noise; continuous AF;
loss: 1/3 light intensity.

golem

Oh man looking at this Canon loyalty program thread on Fatwallet... 5D Mk2 refurbished for $1679...

You can buy any Canon camera that you see on Canon Direct Store, just Apply a 20% OFF for Loyalty Program...

EOS 7D (Body) Refurbished $1,399.00=1,119.20

EOS 5D Mark II (Body) Refurbished $2,099.00=1,679.20

EOS Rebel T1i (Body) Refurbished $569.99=455.99

EOS Rebel T1i with EF-S 18-55mm IS Refurbished $649.99=519.99

EOS 50D Refurbished (Body) $899.00=719.20

etc etc etc...
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/849344/m15095052/#m15095052

1/3rd in exposure loss sounds like a big deal, but then my NEX's auto mode is almost unusable in bright daylight because i can't step the exposure down, so it might work out...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Thank you golem and bggrthnjsus.

Now the question is would you recommend the camera to someone who just wants to carry it around when out for hikes/walks/rides/etc and just likes to capture the moments.

Thanks again.

Forsete

345triangle said:
1/3rd in exposure loss sounds like a big deal, but then my NEX's auto mode is almost unusable in bright daylight because i can't step the exposure down, so it might work out...

1/3 of a stop is what I read, since its EVF based it only needs to reflect light to the AF system.

I matched up the lens size between A55 and the A550.
4904627527_f37cb041d8_b.jpg

A550 is already small IMO. :p I think its not much bigger than the DSC-HX1.

captive

golem said:
Sure, there will be some noise in higher ISOs but the pictures are completely usable on my EP-1

1600 ISO, no NR applied
4798114901_62f6bce60e_b.jpg

yea totally agree.

Original sizes on my flickr.
ISO 1600 (because im an idiot and didnt check the settings before i got out there for sunrise or during said sunrise) Taken with 4/3 12-60 with adapter

Its pretty grainy, but i also pushed it alot to get the look i wanted. Some NR applied.

ISO 3200 taken with 20mm f1.7
my gf's dog board with me pointing the camera at him.

very grainy but i pushed it in post, but it works well in B&W. There's still detail in the image

ISO 3200 taken with 20mm f1.7
my goofy ass dog

ISO 1600 with 20mm f1.7
my gf in a bar in San Diego

are they super clean? Nope, for me i don't care though. I have printed the 2nd one and 4th one on 8x10 and they look fantastic.
Its not chroma noise so to me they look fine, the luminescence noise is really imo like a tight film grain.
Will this work for everyone, nope, but i don't think everyone is going to carry around a nikon d700 just so they can take noise free images at ISO 6400 on a night out.
In my personal opinion if people would stop pixel peeping noise would be much less of an issue. In all the prints I have done, i find that printers print "noise" much different than monitors display them.

captive

AlteredBeast said:
want want want!

perhaps we could work out a barter for these lenses? I am currently penniless. :(
i feel ya.

Actually both are spoken for already. forum.fourthirds.com makes selling and buying used stuff very easy.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
UnluckyKate said:
I Don't understand this. What old camera means ? What is refurbished ? Is it working for Europe ?

I'm not exactly sure but I think it entails one trading in their old body towards a new one but I think there are certain stipulations (like particular bodies that are trade-able?) Refurbished, in used camera body terms, is the camera body is used, returned to Canon they verify its in working order, clean it and put it back out on the market at a reduced price.

golem

UnluckyKate said:
I Don't understand this. What old camera means ? What is refurbished ? Is it working for Europe ?
Trade in an old Canon (point and shoot or slr, doesnt matter). Details on the first page (you might have to say it broke).

golem

zhenming said:
loving the hi iso golem. i think the NEX5 should be even better with hi iso. :D
Yeah the NEX has an APS-C size sensor right? Should be good.. sounds like the controls are a bit hard to use though.

Zyzyxxz

golem said:
Yeah the NEX has an APS-C size sensor right? Should be good.. sounds like the controls are a bit hard to use though.

I think its a pain to use. Its not very intuitive from when I tried playing with it. Unless you play with alot of random Point and Shoots its gonna take some getting use to.

Its a nice piece of equipment but the lack of controls pushes me away from it. Hopefully if a rumored NEX-7 is in the pipeline lets hope it'll come out soon.

xxracerxx said:
Thank you golem and bggrthnjsus.

Now the question is would you recommend the camera to someone who just wants to carry it around when out for hikes/walks/rides/etc and just likes to capture the moments.

Thanks again.

i'd recommend it. i think any of the mft cameras available are pretty great to use for something to carry around on walks/etc to capture stuff. i haven't really used any of the olympus cameras enough to recommend them, but i bet if i had ended up buying one of those i'd say the same thing. my main reason for getting the gf1 over an ep2 was autofocus speed and built in flash (even though i try to avoid using it, it is definitely useful). i could have really gone either way though, because i like the ep2's built in IS and the olympus cameras have better ISO performance. an ep2 with the panasonic pancake lens is probably pretty great but probably ends up being a bit more expensive.

also i think captive was shooting on an ep2 (?)

golem said:

controls are really easy to use 90% of the time, it's just that sometimes you have to do a bit of menu-diving for multitasking (for lack of a better word). it's a little too simple, but nothing's difficult to do.

i just want more lenses!

captive

captive said:
and the reason i've sold my two lenses just got here. :D

Olympus 300mm F2.8
fuck yea

My new baby. 300mm f2.8 + EC20 = 600 f5.6 = 1200 effective focal length or equivalent field of view however the equivalence nazis want to classify it.
Taking it out tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

osknoes

Hi guys!

I love photography but I've never been into it, as a photographer. I decided to move forward and learn some basic skills.

I would like to know if you guys have any advice for webs\tutorials\books where I can learn the basics. If anyone has a camera recommendation for a starter, that will be really appreciated too.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom