• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuan

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh, this thread returns at the optimal time.

I shoot with a Nikon D90 and usually carry a small point and shoot for times when I need something pocketable. I was using a nice little Panasonic Lumix (forget model number) from a few years back, but on a recent trip I lost it while horseback riding in Montana. Now I need to replace that P&S, but I have a bit of a conundrum.

I was thinking of simply buying a new Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7, as I was very happy with my old model and the reviews say it's an outstanding travel camera. However, I'm severely tempted to go with the brand new Nikon P7000, which is a compact camera with pro-level performance. The only things holding me back are price ($250 vs. $500) and the size. The P7000 is definitely less pocketable, but offers near DSLR performance in a compact body.

Any thoughts? Anyone had hands on experience with either of these?
I brought my TZ3 for a 3-month trip to Asia which I believe is an older version of the ZS7, and it was pretty darn convenient. I brought it everywhere, dinged it up more than a bit, but it survived and I have several thousand pictures to show for it. The 10x optical zoom was pretty useful. There were times where I could've used better low-light performance, but those were rare situations with next to no light (I was trying to take pics of nocturnal critters in the Taipei zoo :lol).

I can't speak on the P7000, but I'm looking at sample images right now and they're friggin' incredible. So I guess it depends on whether or not you'd like to compromise picture quality for practicality and affordability. I'd go for the Lumix because it takes good shots in light, has the ridiculous zoom, and it was never a pain to carry around - but if you're anal about having DSLR-like photo results, the P7000 seems like the way to go.

Takuan said:
I brought my TZ3 for a 3-month trip to Asia which I believe is an older version of the ZS7, and it was pretty darn convenient. I brought it everywhere, dinged it up more than a bit, but it survived and I have several thousand pictures to show for it. The 10x optical zoom was pretty useful. There were times where I could've used better low-light performance, but those were rare situations with next to no light (I was trying to take pics of nocturnal critters in the Taipei zoo :lol).

I can't speak on the P7000, but I'm looking at sample images right now and they're friggin' incredible. So I guess it depends on whether or not you'd like to compromise picture quality for practicality and affordability. I'd go for the Lumix because it takes good shots in light, has the ridiculous zoom, and it was never a pain to carry around - but if you're anal about having DSLR-like photo results, the P7000 seems like the way to go.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess that's exactly where I'm at, weighing the convenience and affordability of the Lumix with the larger size and price tag, but far more capable P7000. Considering I've come into some extra cash lately, I think I'm going to go P7000, but I'm going to wait on some final reviews since it just started shipping.

mrklaw said:
How does the size of the P7000 compare to something like the panasonic gf1 or olympus Ep1, or even Sony NEX?

It's on par with the Canon G11 in size, which makes it larger than the Lumix I mentioned, but not gigantic.

Fireye

Takuan said:
I bought a Tamron 28-75mm for my D90 and it has back-focusing issues wide open at low-ish shutter speeds. It's a fantastic lens otherwise, but it's disappointing; I knew the problem existed, but I didn't think it'd be so prevalent.

If you're concerned about it, you could send it in for servicing. After I get more photos in with my copy, if the frontfocusing I have still bothers me, I know I'll hit up Tamron to get it resolved.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Olympus EP1 or Sony NEX3? or neither and out the money towards a Canon 60D? Want to get back to taking nice photos, and currently have a panasonic TZ7 which was my compact 'take everywhere' when I had my 550d.

Don't have the budget to buy a DSLR and a mirrorless, but tempted to try a mirrorless first, in case I can get by with just that?

What are people's thoughts on just a micro 4/3 or nex as the sole replacement for a DSLR?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrklaw said:
Olympus EP1 or Sony NEX3? or neither and out the money towards a Canon 60D? Want to get back to taking nice photos, and currently have a panasonic TZ7 which was my compact 'take everywhere' when I had my 550d.

Don't have the budget to buy a DSLR and a mirrorless, but tempted to try a mirrorless first, in case I can get by with just that?

What are people's thoughts on just a micro 4/3 or nex as the sole replacement for a DSLR?
I would stay away from the EP1. It's the oldest of the olympus line, it doesn't have the accessory slot to attach the EVF. The EPL1 and the EP2 are better as well.

I think evil cameras can replace a DSLR if you are a certain type of shooter. I can't speak to the AF on NEX but olympus' AF isn't fast enough for sports or wildlife. But if you're doing planned shots or static subjects things moving slower than its fine. Panasonics AF is faster.

Takuan

Fireye said:
If you're concerned about it, you could send it in for servicing. After I get more photos in with my copy, if the frontfocusing I have still bothers me, I know I'll hit up Tamron to get it resolved.
Yeah, it just bothers me that I might have to pay for them to fix their error (shipping). I'll see if Henry's will help me out; I doubt I'll be able to get an exchange unit because I've already used the unit considerably since buying it (less than 2 weeks ago). I've scuffed the lens cap, and I'm sure an educated eye can tell that the lens itself has seen use. It's really a terrific lens otherwise.

Edit: I've also read that Tamron has sent back defective lenses claiming them to be "within specs"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
captive said:
I would stay away from the EP1. It's the oldest of the olympus line, it doesn't have the accessory slot to attach the EVF. The EPL1 and the EP2 are better as well.

I think evil cameras can replace a DSLR if you are a certain type of shooter. I can't speak to the AF on NEX but olympus' AF isn't fast enough for sports or wildlife. But if you're doing planned shots or static subjects things moving slower than its fine. Panasonics AF is faster.

I had written it off, but reviews say it's identical to the EP2 other than the accessory connector, and I don't expect to be buying the EVF. Plus IMO it's nicer looking than the black EP2. I was concerned about AF speed, but it seems the new firmware has it almost on par with the GF1, and the EP1 is no slower than the EP2

Fireye

Takuan said:
Edit: I've also read that Tamron has sent back defective lenses claiming them to be "within specs"

I've heard that too. But I've also heard of Tamron and Sigma's willingness to calibrate the lens to your particular body, if you send it in. I figure, I just spent $500 on a lens, why should I tolerate poor focus?

Just did some focus chart testing, and it seems that my Tamron front-focuses somewhere between 5 and 6 on the charts (http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart), with 0 and 1 being the very very far ranges of focus. Deffinitly going to be contacting Tamron, since my body doesn't have microadjust.

East Lake

Anyone have experience shooting in really cold weather, like below freezing temperature? I want some gloves that are camera friendly in the bitter cold, shit was not fun last year.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Antimatter said:
Anyone have experience shooting in really cold weather, like below freezing temperature? I want some gloves that are camera friendly in the bitter cold, shit was not fun last year.

I believe they make gloves that have little removable tops for your thumb and pointer finger, can't find them though. I'll definitely need some myself.

I was just at BestBuy earlier today and noticed they had signs for 18 months of interest free payments on purchases over $250. So I've been considering getting an entry level DSLR just to try a new hobby. I've taken no classes, but may consider it. But anyways, I walked over to the cameras and the BestBuy guy went into depth explaining DSLR stuff and photography.
Well I guess I was just wondering does GAF have any suggestions on what I kind of camera I should start with?
I saw the Canon EOS Rebel XS was on sale for $499 link here
I also saw this Nikon D3000 link here
Btw I'm a student with a part-time job living at home so I don't pay rent or for food. I just spend my money on video games, gas, and my girlfriend. So this 18 month interest free thing ends at the end of the week and I wasn't sure if I should jump on it because I don't know much about cameras. Suggestions? Please and thank you.

Zyzyxxz

Nikon's new entry level the D3100 is out now on Amazon but its $700 which may be more than what you are willing to spend but it can do video with auto-focusing too which is a big deal.

Even if you only want to take nice pictures it will most likely be noticeably better than the D3000 since it has a pretty decent sensor that has better high-ISO performance for low light situations which if you are sticking to the kit lens which you probably are, then I think that would be a better investment for you.

i think we need a wii homebrew-thread style "READ THIS" post to quote on every new page for the millions of people coming in here to ask what a good starter DSLR is :/

Forsete said:
Thinking of getting the Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton Classic for my NEX. I found it for around £390 which is a good price.

oh man...

i saw the voigtlander adapter in a shop the other day but don't really know about the lenses. maybe i should investigate...i could see a 35mm 1.4 being my go-to for 90% of stuff. and it looks hot too!

BlueTsunami

345triangle said:
oh man...

i saw the voigtlander adapter in a shop the other day but don't really know about the lenses. maybe i should investigate...i could see a 35mm 1.4 being my go-to for 90% of stuff. and it looks hot too!

The Voigtlander name is owned by Cosina who also manufactures Zeiss lenses, so definitely don't be weary of that series of lenses. They make some fantastic SLR and Rangefinder lenses (another notable lens being the 50/1.1 Nokton). Very nice build quality too.

Here's a review from a well known rangefinder enthusiast:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2009/12/02/the-voigtlander-nokton-35-1-4-mc-lens-review/

ChryZ

I'd only go for Voigtlander new with warranty. Their build/optics quality isn't as good as Zeiss's m glass (Biogon, Sonnar, etc). I read a few times how diaphragm blades would get loose and fall off. Their optics are also pron to deliver lots of character, read imperfections: barrel distortion, vignetting, only sharp in the center when used wide open, etc. Their fast primes are cheap (literal and proverbial).

Magnus

Sup kids,

Camera noob here. I'm in need of a cam on a regular basis for the first time in my life (tv production course; it'd really be just for personal assignments, not broadcast-quality stuff necessarily), and the iphone cam just ain't cuttin it. I've never had a digital camera before, save one Olympus like, seven years ago which was decent, but had no video on it.

Recommendations? I hear Canon is the brand of choice 90% of the time. Is that the general consensus on a great entry-level still/video cam? A larger screen and intuitive UI is a plus. Something with multiple lenses and all that BS won't be necessary. Just need something decent with a solid zoom built in.

Something capable of shooting at HD resolutions would be outstanding, but unnecessary. Is it realistic to expect to spend less than $300 and get something decent?

Don't rip me apart too hard; really coming into this blind, haha.

Nameless

I have about $400-$500 to spend on some more glass.

Right now I'm strongly leaning toward the Canon 85mm 1.8, though experimenting with vintage lenses ens & adapters also is something I've been wanting to do.

I also would like a nice sharp zoom lens since the 18-55mm kit lens just doesn't really cut mustard/

Zyzyxxz

Magnus said:
Sup kids,

Camera noob here. I'm in need of a cam on a regular basis for the first time in my life (tv production course; it'd really be just for personal assignments, not broadcast-quality stuff necessarily), and the iphone cam just ain't cuttin it. I've never had a digital camera before, save one Olympus like, seven years ago which was decent, but had no video on it.

Recommendations? I hear Canon is the brand of choice 90% of the time. Is that the general consensus on a great entry-level still/video cam? A larger screen and intuitive UI is a plus. Something with multiple lenses and all that BS won't be necessary. Just need something decent with a solid zoom built in.

Something capable of shooting at HD resolutions would be outstanding, but unnecessary. Is it realistic to expect to spend less than $300 and get something decent?

Don't rip me apart too hard; really coming into this blind, haha.

I like the Nikon entry levels better and if you want it cheap just get a used D40 on craigslist or a factory refrubished for around your budget.

Magnus

Zyzyxxz said:
I like the Nikon entry levels better and if you want it cheap just get a used D40 on craigslist or a factory refrubished for around your budget.

How are the Coolpix models? The D40s still look prohibitively expensive for me, even used.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nameless said:
I have about $400-$500 to spend on some more glass.

Right now I'm strongly leaning toward the Canon 85mm 1.8, though experimenting with vintage lenses ens & adapters also is something I've been wanting to do.

I also would like a nice sharp zoom lens since the 18-55mm kit lens just doesn't really cut mustard/

its a great lens. what other primes do you have at a similar focal length?

golem

Magnus said:
How are the Coolpix models? The D40s still look prohibitively expensive for me, even used.
Did you need video? The D40 doesnt do video.

cool_trainer said:
I saw the Canon EOS Rebel XS was on sale for $499
I have an XSi, its a great camera.. I think the XS is mostly similar though missing a few features and slower.

Futureman

cool_trainer said:
I was just at BestBuy earlier today and noticed they had signs for 18 months of interest free payments on purchases over $250. So I've been considering getting an entry level DSLR just to try a new hobby. I've taken no classes, but may consider it. But anyways, I walked over to the cameras and the BestBuy guy went into depth explaining DSLR stuff and photography.
Well I guess I was just wondering does GAF have any suggestions on what I kind of camera I should start with?
I saw the Canon EOS Rebel XS was on sale for $499 link here
I also saw this Nikon D3000 link here
Btw I'm a student with a part-time job living at home so I don't pay rent or for food. I just spend my money on video games, gas, and my girlfriend. So this 18 month interest free thing ends at the end of the week and I wasn't sure if I should jump on it because I don't know much about cameras. Suggestions? Please and thank you.

if you do it, make sure you make your payments on time every month or they will nail you with interest.

I got a BB card to pay for my Canon 5DII. Totally worth it as I use it all the time. Bought it last October and I'm pretty close to paying it all off early.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Nameless said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VQOT66/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the one I ordered. Shipped from China and every thing works perfectly. Grip comes with two LP-E8 batteries and an extra tray to use 6 double A Batteries.

It came in today and holy SHIT is it solid as hell. I now have 3 batteries for my T2i. I'm so glad it made it heavier and feel a lot more sturdy. Thank you so much for the link.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh man. Tried out a Sony A33 today and its really nice. The EVF just feels like an OVF but is really big and bright compared to OVFs I'm used to (Canon xxxD and xxD) and its really compact.

I'm just getting more and more confused. Do I go for a 'classic' DSLR like the Canon 60D, and keep my TZ7 as a 'take everywhere'. Or swap my TZ7 for a micro 4/3 or NEX, and a DSLR, or just get a hybrid like the A33?

Safest thing seem to be to wait it out to see where things are going. phase detect AF is coming to live view cams - eg the fuji has AF points built into the main sensor.

mrklaw said:
oh man. Tried out a Sony A33 today and its really nice. The EVF just feels like an OVF but is really big and bright compared to OVFs I'm used to (Canon xxxD and xxD) and its really compact.

I'm just getting more and more confused. Do I go for a 'classic' DSLR like the Canon 60D, and keep my TZ7 as a 'take everywhere'. Or swap my TZ7 for a micro 4/3 or NEX, and a DSLR, or just get a hybrid like the A33?

Safest thing seem to be to wait it out to see where things are going. phase detect AF is coming to live view cams - eg the fuji has AF points built into the main sensor.
Wait, where did you see the Sony? I really really really want one (or the 55).

Antimatter said:

I shot during three month in Moscow last winter, temperatures between -5 to -25 degrees (celsius) and my adivce would be: two battery for long session. The battery is going down very quick with extrem cold. If you can handle the cold better than your battery, you'll want to shot more, and you'll need an extra battery.

Next problem is glove. You'll have hard time changing lense, remove accessories (hoods, caps) or even touching your're camera's button to change presets. I could only use the wheels and the bigger/boldest button on my camera with my gloves.

So what I end up doing: wearing two pair of gloves. First, nilon gloves. Really confy, like a natural second skin. Perfect for camera manipulation. Don't protect much from cold, but enough to not get your finger frozen during the time you change a lense.
Over that, slim leather glove. Because big ass skiing gloves aren't really pratical for manual focusing thin ring you know...

Also, don't forget double pair of sox.

East Lake

Yeah I was looking around on photo.net threads and it seems like those nylon gloves or other glove liners in combination with another glove are a pretty big hit, a lot of people buy from places that specialize in mountain climbing.

One post there I thought was rather good.

Hi Damon,

I've progressed through millar mitts (Fingerless gloves), wool gloves, mittens with the hole in them to let the fingers through and the thin silver gloves. As much as I like wool, for gloves, it's and old technology along with these other ones. Here's the best setup going right now:

Lightweight Polarfleece (100 weight) gloves made by an serious outdoor company such as as Mountain Hardwear or Outdoor Research. Over these, wear a heavier weight fleece glove made of Windstopper material. Again, get something that is made by a very good company.

This combo works 98% of the time for me. The warmth and dexterity can't be beat. I've used this setup running precise survey equipment in Antartica and wear them whenever I need to do any sort of work/play tasks that require dexterity.

The trick is that you have to go to a high caliber outdoor store (think hiking, backpacking) and try them on to get the right fit. If either glove is too tight, or any glove for that matter, they cut off circulation and no matter how good they are, your fingers are going to get cold. As such, I can't recommend buying gloves over the Internet.

On days, when it's really brutal out, I'll put shells over this set of gloves. I don't use the insulated ones because if your hands sweat at all in the shells, your fingers will be freeze right quick when you take them out of the shells.

Lastly, you can really get by with most any type of gloves if you keep your torso, neck and head well insulated. If these parts are warm, you can at times, work bare handed in cold weather.

Cheers,

I don't know if batteries will be an issue for me, don't plan on using my digital camera much and my film one only takes a watch battery that displays exposure reading in the viewfinder. Have ten rolls of kodachrome I want to finish off by mid-December. :D

Nameless

mrklaw said:
its a great lens. what other primes do you have at a similar focal length?

Just the 50mm 1.8. so far. I'm a bit weary the functional 136mm focal length of the 85mm being that I have a cropped sensor camera, but purely based off of various photos around the web it seems to outperform every sub $500 piece of glass Canon sells. Not as versatile as I want right now, but I think I could make it work.

Alfarif said:
It came in today and holy SHIT is it solid as hell. I now have 3 batteries for my T2i. I'm so glad it made it heavier and feel a lot more sturdy. Thank you so much for the link.

Not a problem, dude. The T2i was my first Dslr, so while I recognized that that it seemed small in my hands I really didn't get why some made such a big deal about it's size until I attached a grip and saw first hand how much of a difference the extra heft & bulk made to shooting. Plus it look damn cool too. Certainly a must have accessory.

Hallo all,

Looking to get my wife a DSLR for her birthday. She's been using regular compact digital cameras for a while now and is looking to upgrade to an SLR. There are no ambitions for a career in photography but she likes taking pictures when we travel or events such as Christmas, birthdays or weddings and the like.

Just looking for a good entry / amateur level SLR that's easy enough to use (£300 - £450).

I have no clue about SLR cameras and have been doing a bit of reading to get up to speed. I think she'd like to have live-view but video is not important.

For those reasons I was looking at the Sony A550 but it's very difficult to pick apart comments across the internet (internet chatter ranges pretty wildly for every camera in this price range) and reviews typically talk in a depth that I can't really follow - e.g. doesn't have program shift, is this important, I read up on the feature but I still don't fully understand :)

Other options I spotted were Pentax K-x, Canon Rebel XS and the Nikon D3000.

Any recommendations on what I should be going for (doesn't have to be one of the above)? Advice much appreciated :)

BlueTsunami

Nameless said:
Just the 50mm 1.8. so far. I'm a bit weary the functional 136mm focal length of the 85mm being that I have a cropped sensor camera, but purely based off of various photos around the web it seems to outperform every sub $500 piece of glass Canon sells. Not as versatile as I want right now, but I think I could make it work.

Definitely choose based on which focal length you prefer vs. the pure optical strength of a particular lens. The 85mm focal length (and even more so on a cropped sensor) lends itself to portrait photography and picking out detail.

If you're in need of something wider, there's always the Canon 35/2, 28/2.8 and 28/1.8. Or the Sigma 20/1.8, 28/1.8 and 30/1.4 (the 30/1.4 is highly praised, the only caveat being that its only for crop sensors).

luoapp

lochnesssnowman said:
For those reasons I was looking at the Sony A550 but it's very difficult to pick apart comments across the internet (internet chatter ranges pretty wildly for every camera in this price range) and reviews typically talk in a depth that I can't really follow - e.g. doesn't have program shift, is this important, I read up on the feature but I still don't fully understand :)

I kinda doubt it. If I understand correctly, "program shift" is one of the basic functions in P-mode (which 550 does have), I don't see any reason for SONY to take it out.

Shooting video as you said, "is not important", but definitely a very nice feature to have. First, you don't have to carry a camcorder for short videos. Second, the quality of video clips by a DSLR is so much better and movie-like comparing to a camcorder, you will be amazed.

The image quality of dslr cameras, especially at entry level, has more to do with the lens than the body itself. I've seen people took stunning pictures with all the cameras you listed, even with a kit lens. Size, weight and handling are more important sometimes, and those factors can only be tried out in a store.

That being said, have you looked at the new sony a33? It's about the same price as a550. Sony, being a new comer to the dslr market, is pushing very hard with their low price, feature-rich strategy. A33 have great low-light performance ( at least as good as canon Rebel T2i ), fast auto-focusing, and all in a very small, light body. I would definitely take that one in the consideration.

Saw that the Panny LX5 had a slight price drop on Amazon...it was enough of a discount for me to order one for my wife. A nice upgrade from an old Canon P&S I bought for her like 4-5 years ago...as well as something I would really enjoy to use as well.

Next is for me to upgrade from my old Nikon D40 to a D7000 next month...hopefully I can get one in time for my friends' wedding at the end of October.

Zyzyxxz

GamePnoy74 said:
Saw that the Panny LX5 had a slight price drop on Amazon...it was enough of a discount for me to order one for my wife. A nice upgrade from an old Canon P&S I bought for her like 4-5 years ago...as well as something I would really enjoy to use as well.

Next is for me to upgrade from my old Nikon D40 to a D7000 next month...hopefully I can get one in time for my friends' wedding at the end of October.

Jealous. D7000 samples at ISO 6400 looked very usable. I perfect for use with the kit lens if thats all you have and still need low light capability.

hEist

so, i'm thinking off going to fullframe.

thinking about selling my 50D and getting a 5D Mark II... but now it is hard to find it for a good price. Any good .eu shops ?

Zyzyxxz said:
Jealous. D7000 samples at ISO 6400 looked very usable. I perfect for use with the kit lens if thats all you have and still need low light capability.
I have a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 macro and a Nikon 35mm f1.8 I currently use on my D40, I'd imagine the low-light capabilities would be even better pairing these lens to a D7000...looking forward to it.

Lee N

Membre
So, I got the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM two days ago and I haven't really had time to play with it a whole lot yet, but my initial impressions of this lens are very positive. Just from unboxing it and holding it in your hand you could tell that this lens is in a different tier than the kit lens.

Then putting it on my EOS 550D and snapping a few shots with it and I was completely sold. I do not regret my purchase. :D

I'm gonna have to get back to you when I have a couple of interesting photos to show.

edit: Oh, and I also highly recommend buying from HKBNS. Great prices and quick shipping.

Fireye

Lee N said:
edit: Oh, and I also highly recommend buying from HKBNS. Great prices and quick shipping.

I'd assume that those are grey market, intended for sale in china/hongkong. Which means that you won't be able to get warranty service if you need it. Just a headsup.

Lee N

Membre
Fireye said:
I'd assume that those are grey market, intended for sale in china/hongkong. Which means that you won't be able to get warranty service if you need it. Just a headsup.
There's nothing on this box that suggests that it's for sale in china/hong kong only. The manual is printed in a whole bunch of languages, Swedish included (I'm from Sweden). And the warranty card is actually Japanese.

Suairyu

Banned
So it's time I upgraded from a compact to a DSLR and am looking for some buying advice. I'm looking for an entry-level one at £300-£400ish. Ideally it'd be Canon or Nikon, as I'll potentially have access to some lenses of family friends who have always been in either of the two main brands.

My primary interest is in portrait photography, if that helps. Researching SLRs for the first time, I understand it'd probably be worth my while (and not too expensive?) to invest in a prime lens for this purpose to produce superior results, but consensus seems to be slightly divided on what type to get, one suggestion even being that professional portrait photographers often buy zoom lenses and snap subjects from afar to minimise lens distortion? I'm quite lost right now. Any prime lens I would buy would be an extra on top of the £300-400 budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Canon 1000d or a used 450d

50mm 1.8 prime is nice and cheap (about £80), although I prefer the 85mm 1.8 which is more like £300

BlueTsunami

Suairyu said:
So it's time I upgraded from a compact to a DSLR and am looking for some buying advice. I'm looking for an entry-level one at £300-£400ish. Ideally it'd be Canon or Nikon, as I'll potentially have access to some lenses of family friends who have always been in either of the two main brands.

My primary interest is in portrait photography, if that helps. Researching SLRs for the first time, I understand it'd probably be worth my while (and not too expensive?) to invest in a prime lens for this purpose to produce superior results, but consensus seems to be slightly divided on what type to get, one suggestion even being that professional portrait photographers often buy zoom lenses and snap subjects from afar to minimise lens distortion? I'm quite lost right now. Any prime lens I would buy would be an extra on top of the £300-400 budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A cheap 50mm prime with an entry level camera should be good enough. As mrklaw stated the 85/1.8 has a better feel to portraiture (due to being able to stand a bit farther back) but its about as much as your budget. To give you an idea what a good fast 50mm lens will get you (and good light) you should be able to shoot something like this...

For comparison sake, here's a 135mm focal length at roughly the same distance as the above shot if not a little farther back...

Subject to background distance aside, you can see how the background of the 135mm shot is more diffused and the specular lights are larger. This is one of the benefits of using a longer lens over a wider one.

And to entice you to choose Canon here's a group devoted to one of the ultimate portraiture lenses, the Canon 135mm f/2 "L"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/625952@N23/

And a recent shot I fav'ed on Flickr taken with the 135L...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44684101@N07/4939281317/in/faves-bluetsunami/

And it can be yours for around $1000

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Have you guys heard anything about the quality of Canon refurbished dSLRs from their loyalty program? I have an old busted P&S that I'm hoping to trade in for a 7D body. With refurbished, I can save about $300, but if I'm going to run into issues a year down the line, I would rather just pay the extra $300 now and get it new. Any thoughts? I'm prejudiced against refurbished products and avoid it when I can, but I've been hunting for good 7D deals and haven't come across any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom