• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

element

I think $900 for the 60D would be a little silly. The body sells for $1099, and $1399 with the 18-135 lens. You can find a T2i kit with the same lens for $1099, so it is worth $300 for the 60D body? From the hour or so I have had it today, yes.

Only drag is Newegg posted the 7D at $1699 and which a coupon you could get it to $1660, but that is a lot of cash to drop. Also I have tons of SDHC cards, and the thought of buying more expensive Compact Flash cards would have sucked. With SDXC cards starting to come out as well, it was just more cost effective to get the 60D.

element

Norante said:
Talk to me about the Canon T2i (550D).

I never had a DSLR before and only dabbled in photography (film based) during college.
If you are interested in just taking photos, the Canon Rebel XS would be a good start. It is only $499 with a kit lens. I'd say the T2i would be the next step up. The body is very similar but goes to 18mp with better processor in the camera. The T2i does 1080p video as well at the same quality as the 7D, 60D, and 5D Mark II. The T2i does have a small body, so it does feel odd with a prime lens. If the T2i was $799 it would well be worth it.

sneaky77

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am tempted to buy the 60D, but the price is a little high.

Lower it to $850 or 900 and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

You can probably get the 50D for a really good price.. unless is one specific feature of the 60D u really want.

Norante said:

I never had a DSLR before and only dabbled in photography (film based) during college.

I look into them earlier this yr, I went to the store and just felt too small in my hands, not all that comfortable for me. I went with the 50D instead.

element

You can probably get the 50D for a really good price.. unless is one specific feature of the 60D u really want.
I looked into that, but the video recording made me get the 60D. The T2i does feel very tiny, and put a good quality prime lens on there and the balance is all off. 7D, 60D, and 50D all free pretty balanced with a quality lens on it.

Nameless

Norante said:

Love it. True, it is somewhat small and light compared to competing dSLR's but you're essentially getting a 7D in plastic body. The T2i really is a phenomenal value and a [must buy] battery grip solves the size/weight issues. It came down to the T2i, 7D and 50d for my first dSLR purchase, but I really wanted video and it didn't make much sense to spend twice the money on the 7D when that $$$ could go towards glass and I plan on upgrading to a full frame in the semi-near future, anyway.

The aftermarket grips are virtually identical to the Canon made grips. I grabbed mine for $60 bucks and it came with two extra batteries. Cosmetically, it makes the t2i look damn cool too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
price of 60D is fine - its new, so street prices will stay high for a short time before dropping. Look at street prices of 50D compared to its MSRP, or the 7D. You can get a 7D for almost the same price as a 60D right now. That doesn't reflect their relative value, just the fact that the 7D has been out for longer.

Sorry for quoting myself again, but I would really appreciate the help!

iamcool388 said:
My fiance is planning on buying a P&S camera which would work well underwater. She currently is looking at Casio EXG1, which can be had for around $200. Do any of you guys have any experience with it? Any other cameras in similar range which would work well underwater and is small yet sturdy?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Nameless said:
Love it. True, it is somewhat small and light compared to competing dSLR's but you're essentially getting a 7D in plastic body. The T2i really is a phenomenal value and a [must buy] battery grip solves the size/weight issues. It came down to the T2i, 7D and 50d for my first dSLR purchase, but I really wanted video and it didn't make much sense to spend twice the money on the 7D when that $$$ could go towards glass and I plan on upgrading to a full frame in the semi-near future, anyway.

The aftermarket grips are virtually identical to the Canon made grips. I grabbed mine for $60 bucks and it came with two extra batteries. Cosmetically, it makes the t2i look damn cool too.

Do you remember the name of the grip? I need a grip, myself.

golem

iamcool388 said:
Sorry for quoting myself again, but I would really appreciate the help!
I dont know much about specifically underwater cameras, but most even P&S's have housing available to take them underwater. It can get pricey though.

mr.beers

Looking to buy a new camera whats the news on the Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, I have read around and looks like the SX10 would be a better buy but! it is discontinued and $100 more. I really like the $350 price point of the SX20. I have a Canon PowerShot S3 IS and looking to buy the SX20 anyone have any experience with it? Is it a considerable step up except twice the megapixels? Better with low light situations than the S3 IS? ISO?

mr.beers said:
Looking to buy a new camera whats the news on the Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, I have read around and looks like the SX10 would be a better buy but! it is discontinued and $100 more. I really like the $350 price point of the SX20. I have a Canon PowerShot S3 IS and looking to buy the SX20 anyone have any experience with it? Is it a considerable step up except twice the megapixels? Better with low light situations than the S3 IS? ISO?

For low light I'd go for the S95- faster lens and larger sensor than the SX10/20. SX series seems to prioritize zoom range over low light ability. Or spend a little bit more money and go the DSLR route with a Rebel XS or one of the low-end Nikons.

Fireye

Woot. Got a nice little bonus at work today, combined with other happenstance, I have enough to go out and buy that Tamron 28-75mm. The local Penn has it for $40 less than amazon, so it works out about even with the taxes. Might even be able to swing a filter or step-down ring in!

sturmdogg

mr.beers said:

I have the SX20 and it's a great camera. Haven't owned any camera other than my old Canon A75, so to me it's a VERY big step up. I've had the camera for a couple months now and I'm still impressed with the zoom :D. There's also a lot of manual control if you want to play around with it.

I don't have any experience with the S3 and the SX10 so I can't compare but for those times when I had to shoot in low-light I think the photos came out ok.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Does the 60D offer anything special over the 7D that would warrant consideration, or would a used 7D at the same price be an instant buy? I've used a XTi for 3 years and have been happy with it but HD video is appealing.

Seems like 60D has manual audio control which the 7D is missing. Having minimal experience with video recording, I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SnowWolf said:
Does the 60D offer anything special over the 7D that would warrant consideration, or would a used 7D at the same price be an instant buy? I've used a XTi for 3 years and have been happy with it but HD video is appealing.

Seems like 60D has manual audio control which the 7D is missing. Having minimal experience with video recording, I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes.

It has the articulating screen which can be useful for low/high level shooting or even self-portraits. Other than that, the 7D has faster/more flexible AF and a faster shooting rate.

but its a fair bit heavier/bulkier.

If you're buying now, I'd be tempted by a 7D because the 60D is commanding close to MSRP as its new. But if you can wait a couple of months the 60D will be closer to 50D prices.

mr_nothin

Banned
The Panasonic Lumix GH2 looks like a really great camera for casual HDDSLR shooting (and club shooting.....which I'll be using a couple of them for). If the camera gets hacked then it'll be among the best HDDSLR cameras out. Full HD output over HDMI is going to be awesome. Also, no limit to how long you can continuously shoot in MPEG mode. Also, 40FPS shooting (4Mp jpgs) will be amazing for some "imax resolution" clips.

mrklaw said:
It has the articulating screen which can be useful for low/high level shooting or even self-portraits. Other than that, the 7D has faster/more flexible AF and a faster shooting rate.

but its a fair bit heavier/bulkier.

If you're buying now, I'd be tempted by a 7D because the 60D is commanding close to MSRP as its new. But if you can wait a couple of months the 60D will be closer to 50D prices.

How's the noise gestion in high iso on the two models ? I'm really looking for a camera capable of shooting at 3200 iso. My current 450D can shoot at 1600 but there's just too much noise so I have to work limit it at 800 max and it's just not enough.

Honestly, the 60D and the 7D are both having features so close that only the high iso management and the price can make me choose.

Fireye

Woot, got myself a Tamron 28-75! The build on this is pretty good. The Zoom ring isn't as smooth as my canons, but I don't think that's an issue really. It front focuses just a tiny bit, but since I'm not going to be focusing on things closer than a foot away, I think it'll work out fine.

Now, to test it out tomorrow at the botanical gardens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UnluckyKate said:
How's the noise gestion in high iso on the two models ? I'm really looking for a camera capable of shooting at 3200 iso. My current 450D can shoot at 1600 but there's just too much noise so I have to work limit it at 800 max and it's just not enough.

Honestly, the 60D and the 7D are both having features so close that only the high iso management and the price can make me choose.

both will be about the same. Oddly there are some comments about the 7D not having great high ISO handling, but its probably nitpicking. Both will handle 3200 just fine. See if dpreview.com has any preview images from the 60D (they haven't done a full review yet)

TBH, if you don't *need* the faster frame rate or fancy AF of the 7D, then I'd choose based on feel. Both control fairly similarly, with twin dials (different to the 450d but you'll love it, much quicker to change things). Go and handle both - both are bigger and heavier than the 450d, and you might find you can't deal with the size of the 7D, or it won't fit nicely into your bag. Or alternatively you might love it.

Forsete

345triangle: Did you get the A-mount adapter yet? I finally tracked one down and bought it.
I found that using MF focus is a lot easier than on a DSLR, even when not using the MF-focus help (which gives you a 100% crop).

Like with the rest of the camera its built to very high quality, the lenses snap in very tightly and securely, no play/wiggle at all. The adapter comes with a add-on which lets out mount the whole thing to a tripod, its probably a good idea to use this tripod mount instead of the one used on the camera, because of the added weight with the A-lenses.

So far I have tested my Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, Samyang 85mm 1.4 and the Sony 50mm 1.4.. All with great results. :) Samyang is a all manual lens, but with the others the camera can control the aperture when your taking pictures.

i'm going to pick it up once the autofocus firmware hits and after next payday, it's easy to find here but difficult to afford if i want a lens at the same time! i was thinking the 50mm 1.8 would be a good starting point, it's pretty cheap and compact and i could use something faster than the 16mm...kind of want the 1.4, but it's like 3 times the price.

i guess i haven't really looked into non-sony A-mount lenses all that much, though.

Forsete

345triangle said:
i'm going to pick it up once the autofocus firmware hits and after next payday, it's easy to find here but difficult to afford if i want a lens at the same time! i was thinking the 50mm 1.8 would be a good starting point, it's pretty cheap and compact and i could use something faster than the 16mm...kind of want the 1.4, but it's like 3 times the price.

i guess i haven't really looked into non-sony A-mount lenses all that much, though.

Great. :)

50mm 1.8 looks nice, and it is a SAM-lens so you will get AF when the firmware comes.

Btw, here are all A-mount lenses if you want to check it out, going from Minolta to Sony and 3rd party lenses.
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Smokey

I know NOTHING about cameras. I don't know what ISO is and all the numbers mean, I dunno what is a good brand/bad brand..but I am really interested in getting into it as a hobby.

EDUCATE ME GAF

Alucrid

Banned
Right now I have a Cannon Rebel Xs with the kit lens. I'm looking to get a new one but don't know what type I should be looking at. I suppose it should be whichever lens will give me the most versatility along with the one I already have.

VNZ

Alucrid said:
Right now I have a Cannon Rebel Xs with the kit lens. I'm looking to get a new one but don't know what type I should be looking at. I suppose it should be whichever lens will give me the most versatility along with the one I already have.
As always, it depends on what kind of pictures you want to shoot and your budget. Versatility usually isn't such a good idea when buying glass if you're into spending relatively huge amounts on something like the EF 24-70 f/2.8L.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 is the common recommendation. For about $100 you'll see the difference large aperture and fixed focal length can do to quality and creative options.

VNZ

Lee N said:
So, I just ordered a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for my Canon EOS 550D. I've found myself hating the kit lens because of my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II so I simply had to replace it with something nicer.
I'm quite curious to hear some impressions on this one later! What did you end up paying for it?

Zyzyxxz

Smokey said:
I know NOTHING about cameras. I don't know what ISO is and all the numbers mean, I dunno what is a good brand/bad brand..but I am really interested in getting into it as a hobby.

EDUCATE ME GAF

I don't know about everyone else but it gets very jaded when every 10 posts in this thread is somebody asking for every single piece of information regarding getting started in DSLR's.

You could at least read a few pages back because its tiring to have the same posters repost the same beginner's guide. Don't mean to be an ass but you could be a little bit more courteous with your requests instead of just laying it down and expecting results from our more knowledgeable members.

Alucrid

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
Got a quick HD video test up with my newish Canon 1.4f 50mm lens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wtD0uOTJQA&hd=1

Darn. Makes me wish I waited a bit and got a camera that could take video. :(

Great quality though!

VNZ said:
As always, it depends on what kind of pictures you want to shoot and your budget. Versatility usually isn't such a good idea when buying glass if you're into spending relatively huge amounts on something like the EF 24-70 f/2.8L.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 is the common recommendation. For about $100 you'll see the difference large aperture and fixed focal length can do to quality and creative options.

I guess by versatility I meant a lens that can do things the kit one can't or at least do them better, but I do believe that a prime lens would be nice to work with, and it's very affordable, thanks.

Lee N

Membre
sneaky77 said:
let us know some impressions when u get it,. I am interested in that one

VNZ said:
I'm quite curious to hear some impressions on this one later! What did you end up paying for it?
I'll let you guys in on my (albeit slightly less than educated) opinion of it when it arrives. I ordered it from HKBNS so after shipping, and a 2% discount coupon (that I got as a signup bonus) I ended up paying US$658.82 for it - which is a lot, but still much less than the ~US$1000 that they charge for it here in Sweden.

Hopefully I won't get raped by customs, but even if I do it should still be cheaper than buying local.

Alucrid said:
Another vote for the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II here. Getting one really made me see the light... pun intended.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey guys, so, Olympus E-P2 -- buy or wait?

Also, pancake or kit lens? (I like shooting wide, but I prefer flatter images)

mrklaw said:
both will be about the same. Oddly there are some comments about the 7D not having great high ISO handling, but its probably nitpicking. Both will handle 3200 just fine. See if dpreview.com has any preview images from the 60D (they haven't done a full review yet)

TBH, if you don't *need* the faster frame rate or fancy AF of the 7D, then I'd choose based on feel. Both control fairly similarly, with twin dials (different to the 450d but you'll love it, much quicker to change things). Go and handle both - both are bigger and heavier than the 450d, and you might find you can't deal with the size of the 7D, or it won't fit nicely into your bag. Or alternatively you might love it.

I have to say, that the 7D really looks filled with prosumer features that I don't need, and probably will never use. Though, the rotaring screen of the 60D is something that might be usefull. Really anticipating the high iso shots from the 60D in the follwing days. The complain about high end iso on the 7D might be related to the built in noise reduction system ... ?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
sprsk said:
Hey guys, so, Olympus E-P2 -- buy or wait?

Also, pancake or kit lens? (I like shooting wide, but I prefer flatter images)
what do you mean flatter images?

I love my Ep2, its pretty awesome. As for buy or wait, I dont think there's any new m4/3rds cameras till 2011.

Forsete

Thinking of getting the Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton Classic for my NEX. I found it for around £390 which is a good price.

2203300331_7c25be8f32.jpg

M Lenses on NEX5 by chiif, on Flickr

.. Or maybe I should wait for the Samyang 35mm 1.4 which was announced at Photokina. This can also be used on my A-mount cameras, however right now I want something really small for my NEX. The Samyang with the adapter would not be that small on a NEX. What to do, what to do? :(

I already have a 50mm 1.4, but 50mm on APS-C is not so awesome. Its great for FF, but I dont like it that much on crop sensors. 35mm on APS-C would be 52.5mm, which is what I want.

Takuan

I bought a Tamron 28-75mm for my D90 and it has back-focusing issues wide open at low-ish shutter speeds. It's a fantastic lens otherwise, but it's disappointing; I knew the problem existed, but I didn't think it'd be so prevalent.

luoapp

Forsete said:
Thinking of getting the Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 Nokton Classic for my NEX. I found it for around £390 which is a good price.

Can you show some sample pics? I am very intrigued. The NEX ( or EVIL in general) cameras might just become the universal digital back for those old lenses.

Oh, this thread returns at the optimal time.

I shoot with a Nikon D90 and usually carry a small point and shoot for times when I need something pocketable. I was using a nice little Panasonic Lumix (forget model number) from a few years back, but on a recent trip I lost it while horseback riding in Montana. Now I need to replace that P&S, but I have a bit of a conundrum.

I was thinking of simply buying a new Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7, as I was very happy with my old model and the reviews say it's an outstanding travel camera. However, I'm severely tempted to go with the brand new Nikon P7000, which is a compact camera with pro-level performance. The only things holding me back are price ($250 vs. $500) and the size. The P7000 is definitely less pocketable, but offers near DSLR performance in a compact body.

Any thoughts? Anyone had hands on experience with either of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom